• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - April 2016

Robin64

The web eShop has actually updated at the same time as the console eShop this week, rather than the 15 hours later it took last week.

maxcriden

Yo, Olympia Rising looks dope.
Hm, Nintendo Select pricing not on the Australian store.

I'm looking forward to that one. Steam Reviews are very favorable. PEW's last port to Wii U was Elliot Quest, an incredible game we still need to beat....

L~A

NA:

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

Bravely Second: End Layer – Steel yourself for the next evolution of the series that reinvented turn-based RPGs – the successor to SQUARE ENIX’s Bravely Default game. Agnés Oblige has been imprisoned, and as a knight in her service, it’s up to the hero, Yew, to save her! Form the ultimate team and strategy, then risk it all in this fast, fresh RPG. Bravely Second: End Layer will be available on April 15.
Nintendo eShop on Wii U

Asdivine Hearts – Travel alongside four companions (and a cat!) to restore the light in the world in a fantasy RPG boasting animated turn-based battles, plenty of sub-quests and many more intriguing challenges. Click here to see a trailer for the game.
Lost Reavers – Beta Test Version – Get a first look at Lost Reavers, a free-to-play four-player co-op game. The Open Beta is now available to play. Download it now, and make sure to come back when the full service launches for free on April 28.
Virtual Console on Nintendo 3DS

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past – When an evil magician named Agahnim begins kidnapping young maidens in Hyrule, a young boy named Link is called upon to stop him. Link must traverse both Light and Dark Worlds, navigate through mazelike dungeons and fight an assortment of foes in this Super NES classic.
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest – Donkey Kong has been kidnapped and taken to Crocodile Isle. Only Diddy Kong and Dixie Kong can save the day! Play solo, compete with a friend or tag-team in eight exciting worlds filled with wacky characters, collectable items and secret bonus areas.
Super Metroid – The Space Pirates, merciless agents of the evil Mother Brain, have stolen the last Metroid from a research station and threatened the safety of the galaxy. In this critically acclaimed Super NES masterpiece, Samus Aran must don her awesome array of high-tech weaponry to retrieve the deadly Metroid hidden deep within the cave-riddled planet Zebes.

Virtual Console on Wii U

Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day! – When first released for the Nintendo DS system, the Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day game took the world by storm. The game is a fun, rewarding form of entertainment everyone can enjoy, as it helps players flex their mental muscles. Inspired by the research of Dr. Ryuta Kawashima, Brain Age presents quick mental activities that help keep your mind in shape.

Nintendo eShop sales:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U and Nintendo 3DS

Spring into savings on Nintendo eShop with the Super Spring Sale! Save up to 30 percent off select games in Nintendo eShop until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 21. Remember: Purchasing items from Nintendo eShop is an easy way to earn points for the new My Nintendo rewards program. Just make sure your Nintendo Network ID and Nintendo Account are linked prior to making a purchase. Visit https://my.nintendo.com/ for more information.
Joe’s Diner (Wii U), Jewel Match 3 (Nintendo 3DS) and more games from Joindots are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 21.
Shovel Knight – Digital Version (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS) is more than 30 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 21.

Nintendo eShop on Wii U

Runbow is 25 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $11.25) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 28.
Peg Solitaire, Skeasy and more games from RCMADIAX are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 20.

Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS

Karous – The Beast of Re Eden – and Samurai Defender from CIRCLE Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 28.
Snow Moto Racing 3D is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 21.
The Legend of Legacy is 25 percent off (reduced from $39.99 to $29.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 25.
Aeternoblade is more than 25 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $10.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 28.

New DLC:

Fire Emblem Fates – New DLC: Ballistician Blitz and A Gift from Anna – The Ballistician Blitz map, available for $1.99, is a trial ground using The Wooden Calvary stage from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light. If you select “A Gift from Anna” from the “Play DLC” section of the Dragon’s Gate after downloading it, you may select and receive either the Sighting Lens or the Witch’s Mark. A Gift from Anna is free to download in the full game and is only playable once.
Fire Emblem Fates – Map Pack 1 – As a reminder, anyone who owns either the Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright or Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest game can purchase Map Pack 1 at the Dragon’s Gate in Chapter 6 of the game for $17.99 to get access to get bonus content and 11 DLC maps as they are released weekly through April 21. Map Pack 1 content is priced at more than $24 when purchased individually.

Theme Shop on Nintendo 3DS:

New themes this week include:

Animal Crossing: Gardening Weather
Bravely Second: Ask Agnès

Also new this week:

Langrisser Re:Incarnation -TENSEI- (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS) – Available April 19
Super Strike Beach Volleyball (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Excave III: Tower of Destiny (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
Draw 2 Survive (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Slots – Pharaoh’s Riches (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo Wii U)
Dodge Club Party (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
Paranautical Activity (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)

GulAtiCa

Slots – Pharaoh’s Riches is $9.99 apparently.... Wonder what the hell makes it worth $10!? If it's slots and only slots, that is kinda insane! Esp as you compare to RCMADIAX's upcoming slot game that is $1.49. Kinda a big difference. lol

donny2112

Here in NA, they know our Brain Age is less advanced so we won't question things and will just buy them.

I love Brain Age. Brain Age Concentration is hardcore training. I will not buy the Wii U version to go backwards.
Already have the best part of that in BAC and BA:Sudoku on my 3DS, anyways. :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, so I recently did an interview with Blowfish Studios about the FPS construction game Gunscape, which is currently available on platforms but is hitting the WIi U due to performance issues. While it does not have a release date quite yet, it is getting close and what is more it is hitting the Wii U as uncompromised as possible. That is to say it is going to have all of the same content as the other versions and rally the only thing being scaled back is the resolution. Most interestingly the game is going to take advantage of the Gamepad for asymmetrical gameplay. Finally pricing has been announced as being in parity with the other versions as 20 USD.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I was hoping we'd get Star Fox 64 on the Wii U before Zero comes out, want to play with the classic voices and don't feel bothered to find my Wii controller to play the Wii version.

tolkir

Week finished

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Runbow (13AM Games)
    Lilac (Free)
    Extra Val-Hue Bundle (€12.99)
    Satura's Space Adventure ($6.99)
    New Costumes and Music Bundle ($6.99)
    Professionals Pack ($1.99)
    Winter Pack ($1.99)
    Anime Pack ($1.99)
    Steampunk Pack ($1.99)

• Lost Reavers (Bandai Namco Games | Beta)

Wii U | Virtual Console and Wii Software

Wii U | Sales

• Peg Solitaire, Skeasy and more games from RCMADIAX are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 20.
  • Shovel Knight – Digital Version (Wii U and Nintendo 3DS) is more than 30 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $9.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 21.
  • Joe’s Diner and more games from Joindots are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 21.
  • Runbow is 25 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $11.25) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 28.

New Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Fire Emblem Fates (Nintendo)
    Ballistician Blitz and A Gift from Anna ($1.99)

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Jewel Match 3 and more games from Joindots are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 21.
  • Snow Moto Racing 3D is 50 percent off (reduced from $7.99 to $3.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 21.
  • The Legend of Legacy is 25 percent off (reduced from $39.99 to $29.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 25.
  • Karous – The Beast of Re Eden – and Samurai Defender from CIRCLE Entertainment are on sale until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 28.
  • Aeternoblade is more than 25 percent off (reduced from $14.99 to $10.99) until 8:59 a.m. PT on April 28.

vYU92.png

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Runbow (13AM Games)
    Lilac (Free)
    Extra Val-Hue Bundle (€11.99 | £10.79)
    Satura's Space Adventure (€6.49 | £5.89)
    New Costumes and Music Bundle (€6.49 | £5.89)
    Professionals Pack (€1.99 | £1.79)
    Winter Pack (€1.99 | £1.79)
    Anime Pack (€1.99 | £1.79)
    Steampunk Pack (€1.99 | £1.79)

• Lost Reavers (Bandai Namco Games | Beta)

Wii U | Sales

• Runbow (13AM Games) - €10.49/ £8.24 (Ends April 28, normally €13.99/£10.99)
  • Wicked Monsters Blast! HD PLUS (CORECELL) - €2.99/ £2.69 (Ends April 28, normally €7.99/£7.19)
  • Stone Shire (Finger Gun Games) - €1.00/£1.00 (Ends May 14, normally €1.99/£1.79)
  • New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U (Nintendo) - €24.99/£19.99
  • New Super Luigi U (Nintendo, Add-on Content) - €9.99/ £8.99 (Previously €19.99/£17.99)
  • The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo) - €24.99/£19.99 (Previously €59.99/£49.99)
  • Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (Nintendo) - €24.99/£19.99 (Previously €49.99/£39.99)
  • LEGO City Undercover (Nintendo) - €24.99/£19.99 (Previously €59.99/£49.99)
  • Nintendo Land (Nintendo) - €24.99/£19.99 (Previously €59.99/£49.99)
  • Wii Party U (Nintendo) - €24.99/£19.99 (Previously €44.99/£34.99)

New Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

Nintendo 3DS | Sales

• Snow Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB) - €3.99/£3.59 (Ends April 21, normally €7.99/£7.19)
  • Karous - The Beast Of Re:Eden (CIRCLE Ent.) - €3.99/£3.29 (Ends April 28, normally €5.99/£4.79)
  • Samurai Defender (CIRCLE Ent.) - €1.99/£1.59 (Ends April 28, normally €2.99/£2.39)
  • AeternoBlade (CORECELL) - €10.99/£9.99 (Ends April 28, normally €14.99/£13.50)

uxwGK.png

Chopper

The Nintendo website won't let me buy The New Luigi U DLC. Guess I'll have to turn my Wii U on to get it, like it's 2015. Lame.

daydream

Banned
alright, i checked the port quality of olympia rising and compared it to the pc version

- there is occasional (but still regular) hitching which is unfortunate
- the slowdown in the pc version (only in rare spots) is worse in this version
- some shoddy stuff like the rising lava being cut off mid-air sometimes

the game is still worth getting as it is quite fun and a steal for five bucks but i wouldn't fault anyone for waiting to see if these issues get ironed out

there was even a day 1 patch so i wonder if they had trouble with the port, period

maxcriden

alright, i checked the port quality of olympia rising and compared it to the pc version

- there is occasional (but still regular) hitching which is unfortunate
- the slowdown in the pc version (only in rare spots) is worse in this version
- some shoddy stuff like the rising lava being cut off mid-air sometimes

the game is still worth getting as it is quite fun and a steal for five bucks but i wouldn't fault anyone for waiting to see if these issues get ironed out

there was even a day 1 patch so i wonder if they had trouble with the port, period

How much content is in the game? Jealous you get to play it already.

PEW has a terrific track record of implementing needed & QoL patches with Elliot Quest, so I'm confident they'll do the same here.

P.S. what's hitching? Like hitching frames? How does that differ from slowdown?

ETA: per GoNintendo via PEW's Twitter:

PlayEveryWare has been notified about a bug that can pop up in Olympia Rising that causes the game to freeze/slow down. The devs say they think they've found what causes the issue and will be working on a patch to submit to Nintendo soon. We'll be sure to let you know when that patch is available.

daydream

Banned

PEW has a terrific track record of implementing needed & QoL patches with Elliot Quest, so I'm confident they'll do the same here.

i haven't beaten the game so i wouldn't know!

hitching is basically the game freezing/stuttering for a second (or less than second in this case). i noticed it immediately

edit: good to know they're on top of it, just messaged the dev on twitter, as well

maxcriden

i haven't beaten the game so i wouldn't know!

hitching is basically the game freezing/stuttering for a second (or less than second in this case). i noticed it immediately

edit: good to know they're on top of it, just messaged the dev on twitter, as well

I believe PEW (who ported the game) might be the one to msg, in case you meant the original dev.

Oh, I wasn't sure if you'd played it all the way through on PC already. :)

Thanks for the info on the hitching. That's unfortunate. These sound very reminiscent of the EQ issues. I don't recall, did you play that one?

(BTW, HLTB says 3.5 hours, but that's based on just one user.)

daydream

Banned
I believe PEW (who ported the game) might be the one to msg, in case you meant the original dev.

Oh, I wasn't sure if you'd played it all the way through on PC already. :)

Thanks for the info on the hitching. That's unfortunate. These sound very reminiscent of the EQ issues. I don't recall, did you play that one?

(BTW, HLTB says 3.5 hours, but that's based on just one user.)

i have not. i own it, though, and will hopefully get around to it at some point

-shadow-

Bought Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones just now before after having some doubts. But missed the DLC due to lack of funds which is a bit of a waste. With a bit of luck they'll eventually do another discount on the DLC of Awakening.
Might buy Yoshi's Story tomorrow. Never played that game before and it seems fun even if it isn't Island.

maxcriden

Bought Fire Emblem The Sacred Stones just now before after having some doubts. But missed the DLC due to lack of funds which is a bit of a waste. With a bit of luck they'll eventually do another discount on the DLC of Awakening.
Might buy Yoshi's Story tomorrow. Never played that game before and it seems fun even if it isn't Island.

*Simbabbad whistles nonchalantly and drops 200 Euros on -shadow-'s doorstep.*

*Agent Unknown, watching from the shadows like an anonymous...agent...walks up to the envelope and writes "for Yoshi's Island haters only.*

*Poochy hops up to the door, grabs the envelope in his mouth, and saunters off to the melon stand to get him and his BFF some snacks.*

-shadow-

*Agent Unknown, watching from the shadows like an anonymous...agent...walks up to the envelope and writes "for Yoshi's Island haters only.*

*Poochy hops up to the door, grabs the envelope in his mouth, and saunters off to the melon stand to get him and his BFF some snacks.*

200.gif

I beat Epic Yarn 100% and this is a very, very easy goal to reach - whereas getting all melons/top score in Yoshi's Story is extremely hard. That's my point, not that Epic Yarn would be a bad game.

No, getting 100% on Yoshi's Story is not "extremely hard," it's extremely tedious and time consuming and far less satisfying especially in comparison to the other Yoshi games where obviously more skill is required of veteran players besides simply feathering the analog stick and holding down the R trigger to tiresomely sniff out a bunch of hidden fruit space by space in levels designed in a way where the player literally has to try to lose.

As was already pointed out to you by both I and another poster which you chose to gloss over or ignore, yes, technically Epic Yarn's core game is easy but unlike YS, a dedicated player (or the silly, arrogant term you used of "an actual gamer") going for score is constantly at risk of losing their beads and possibly the gold medal simply by getting hit because Epic Yarn has more complex levels, tougher enemies, better enemy placement, and much tougher bosses than YS. Standard campaign levels aside, anybody who has ever obtained a proper, bead chained Gold medal during a boss battle in Epic Yarn and then plays any one of the laughable bosses in Yoshi's Story where a player never has to worry about getting penalized if they get hit would know there's no comparison.

The things people use against Yoshi's Story are actually false, whereas those same things do apply to Epic Yarn, yet they don't alter its reputation. Take Nintendo Life's review:

I could cite the many reviews which say the exact same things about Yoshi's Story skewing too far towards very young skill sets except its score averages far worse due to the same factors because it is even less challenging, has much less depth and has a much shorter "campaign" than Epic Yarn. This is so obvious to an objective player capable of doing the most basic of comparisons between the two that it should not have to be explained.

Those things exactly apply to Epic Yarn, yet it got 10/10, whereas Yoshi's Story gets 6/10. My point is there is a double standard, and those reviews are actually false since all melons is VERY challenging, much more so than the original Yoshi's Island in my experience.

Sorry, but there's a reason Epic Yarn has an average 85 Metacritic rating whereas YS is at 65 after all these years and it has nothing to do with editorial "double standards" or conspiracies in the mind of Simbabbad.

Thanks for proving my point.

Other than thinking that Yoshi's Story somehow has more depth score and skill wise (which it doesn't and is a stance not based whatsoever on actual play mechanics and severe differences in what's required of the player reflex and skill wise between the two titles) what was your point and how was it proven?

Why on Earth should I care in any way, shape or form that you beat 100% Yoshi's Island SNES, Yoshi's Island GBA, Yoshi's Island DS, New Yoshi's Island, or Epic Yarn?

Then why on earth should I care in any way, shape or form that you got 100% on Yoshi's Story?

My point is that getting top score in >>> Yoshi's Story <<< is very hard, whereas having 100% in Epic Yarn is very easy, and that all things thrown at Yoshi's Story are false, whereas they apply to Epic Yarn without consequences in its reputation.

Why are you so bothered about what other players and reviewers say about Yoshi's Story if it's such a good game and if it really has a proper challenge level for "actual players" as you adamantly claim?

Why you mention any of the Yoshi's Island games at all, I have no idea.

If you really have no idea then there's probably no point discussing it with you much further.

Get top score in Yoshi's Story and come back to say it's easy, then it'd be relevant to the discussion.

You have very odd discussion rules. This is like saying a person has to get every single blue coin on their Mario Sunshine file before they're "qualified" to critique and compare it content and depth wise to other 3D Mario titles.

This is my last reply on this and no offense, but saying "there is no actual gamer way" to play Epic Yarn is by far one of the most silly and ridiculous falsehoods I have ever read on this forum and I absolutely stand by my recommendation to any people sitting on the fence here who may have less history with the Yoshi series to skip Yoshi's Story unless they absolutely must have it and spend their eShop dollars on YI, YI DS or Woolly World instead.

Actually there is a "gamer" way to play Epic Yarn. You might not be able to die, but you ain't getting the top gem score in each level unless you avoid getting hit more than a couple times per stage. I mean, it's still not incredibly challenging, but Kirby games rarely are.

Yes, but not in an actual gamer way.

Hahaha

Javier

NOTE: Poochy died on his way to the melon stand.

You forgot to mention how half the melons are tied to that annoying box carrying mini game in almost every level.

Yoshi Story really was nothing more than a glorified tech demo, and it stung playing it for the first time right after Yoshi's Island.

You forgot to mention how half the melons are tied to that annoying box carrying mini game in almost every level.

Ugh, forgot about that.

Yoshi Story really was nothing more than a glorified tech demo, and it stung playing it for the first time right after Yoshi's Island.

This. First Yoshi's Story being garbage after YI and then a double kick in the teeth a few months later when the Devlin/Emmerich version of "Godzilla" was released. 1998 was a depressing and disappointing year for highly anticipated forms of fictional dinosaur related entertainment.

69wpm

man, lost reavers is extraordinarily boring in its current state

Seriously, this game is the definition of rinse and repeat. I thought it might get more interesting after you level up to 10. Nope. The frame rate just gets worse because there are more enemies on screen.

And don't get me started on the controls and camera. Everything is clunky as hell.

So I have a strange question pertaining to 3DS. I started using my 3DS to play Mp3 music that I put from my computer onto my SD card. I'm just using a 4gb card that came with the system, but it was almost completely full with I don't even know what. I deleted everything and formatted it, but still only had like 1,400 blocks left. So I went back on the PC and deleted a folder called "3DS" on the SD card...and that cleared everything up and it still works. Does anyone know what sort of mystery data was stored in the 4gb folder I just deleted?

The only thing I'm thinking it could be would be save data from something like Pokemon X or Smash, which might be stored on the SD card instead of the game card itself.

Roubjon

I think there are 6 worlds in the game with around 3 to 4 stages per world, as well as a separate boss level. The average time to complete the title is around 5 to 6 hours I think? The game has a learning curve and it usually takes a bit of analyzing the level and playing carefully before completing a stage. It's definitely a challenging game for sure. I'm one of the two lead programmers for the game, so I'd know lol.

Wish I could tell you more about the WiiU version, but that's being handled by PEW and I honestly have no idea how they got it to work or what they did with it! I hope the gameplay problems can be fixed shortly though.

The game is also releasing in the States as well, I just don't know exactly when. I think some time mid May? Don't quote me on that haha. Regardless, I appreciate some of the support you guys are showing towards it. It ain't perfect, but I like to think one weird kid will somehow happen upon it and really enjoy it.

Top Bottom