• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo GC MiC revealed

neptunes

:delete if old:

Earlier today, Nintendo confirmed that Mario Party 6 will employ a microphone, settling a prolonged bout of speculation. Nintendo fans have been spouting rumors across dozens of message boards ever since Nintendo publicized its desire to introduce a new peripheral to the marketplace. Fans entertained all sorts of ideas, the most bizarre of which saw Nintendo releasing a re-vamped Power Glove.

Well, it's not a Power Glove. It's a microphone. That's right, it looks as though you'll need to talk your way to succeeding in Mario Party 6, the latest installment in the popular Mario Party series. While details remain scarce, we do know that Nintendo has implemented the new peripheral (at least partially) to make the game more accessible to non-gamers. We also know that the usual roster of Nintendo favorites will be back, including: Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Daisy, Bowser, Boo and Koopa Kid. Not to mention Waluigi.

Mario Party 6 boasts 75 all-new mini-games, six new game boards and, of course, the Nintendo GameCube Mic. Plus, there's a new day and night system giving the different boards and mini-games two different modes. Boards will transform, mini-games will play differently and hidden characters will emerge according to the time of day.

ME0000492570_2.jpg

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Dragona Akehi said:
Uh... it connects to Memory Slot B, instead of a controller port? Weird...

Maybe to be able to have four controllers plugged in when playing the game, avoiding any hassle of switching a controller for the mic when needed. Neat thinking.

Yeah, it is a smart design, but it's still weird. I wonder what kind of protocol that requires for the GC to recognize is as an input instead of a memory manager?

Matlock

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah, it is a smart design, but it's still weird. I wonder what kind of protocol that requires for the GC to recognize is as an input instead of a memory manager?

HTTP

BuddyC

Dragona Akehi said:
That's....a good question. Then again, look at third party GBPlayer that uses the Memory Card slot.

Hero

I find it interesting that they used Memory Card Slot B as opposed to the open slot underneath the Gamecube. Perhaps Nintendo is serious about another peripheal to expand the Gamecube's life?

BuddyC

Hero said:
I find it interesting that they used Memory Card Slot B as opposed to the open slot underneath the Gamecube. Perhaps Nintendo is serious about another peripheal to expand the Gamecube's life?
Call me crazy, but I think the recent deluge of perhipheals are the ones meant to expan the life of the GameCube. Just my take on the matter though.

Hero

BuddyChrist83 said:
Call me crazy, but I think the recent deluge of perhipheals are the ones meant to expan the life of the GameCube. Just my take on the matter though.

Well yeah, but I think maybe next year they might introduce the HDD or RAM expansion.

Plus, the microphone really makes me solidify my beliefs that Zelda 2005 is going to support the mic in some way. Remember the interview where someone asked him if Link would talk, and he said maybe he would do the voice, or maybe you could yourself? Miyamato likes dropping hints like that.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
cja said:

HEY! You forgot to mention the awesome Kururin Squash feature in the same scan as Wario Ware 2/Yoshi's Island Gravitation. Blasphemy!

BuddyC

Hero said:
Well yeah, but I think maybe next year they might introduce the HDD or RAM expansion.

Why? So a few last-minute games can support it?

These new peripheals are meant to grab people and say "Hey! Let's do something you can't do elsewhere! It's fun and cheap! ANYONE CAN PLAY!"

I really don't see the benefits of adding more RAM or a HDD to the Cube, especially if Revolution is due out in 2006. It's not like there's a demand from developers for more RAM or a HDD. Would they really benefit Nintendo as much as say, attaching a Bongo to the GameCube kiosk to get Joe Public interested in Donkey Konga?

If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if these peripheals are sort of paving the way for what we can expect with good old Revvie.

Kiriku said:
HEY! You forgot to mention the awesome Kururin Squash feature in the same scan as Wario Ware 2/Yoshi's Island Gravitation. Blasphemy!

Haha, I was wondering about this myself when I first saw the topic. I guess there's just no love for Kuruin.

cja

Kiriku said:
HEY! I was being a lazy cnut and just c&ped Neo's own headings (sorry Neo). Let colourful spinning sticks with odd things piloting 'em hit me in hell.

Hero

BuddyChrist83 said:
Why? So a few last-minute games can support it?

These new peripheals are meant to grab people and say "Hey! Let's do something you can't do elsewhere! It's fun and cheap! ANYONE CAN PLAY!"

I really don't see the benefits of adding more RAM or a HDD to the Cube, especially if Revolution is due out in 2006. It's not like there's a demand from developers for more RAM or a HDD. Would they really benefit Nintendo as much as say, attaching a Bongo to the GameCube kiosk to get Joe Public interested in Donkey Konga?

If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if these peripheals are sort of paving the way for what we can expect with good old Revvie.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's practical, but I don't see why they'd go out of their way and have the microphone be plugged into the second memory card slot as opposed to the unused serial port on the bottom of the Gamecube.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hero said:
Yeah, I'm not saying it's practical, but I don't see why they'd go out of their way and have the microphone be plugged into the second memory card slot as opposed to the unused serial port on the bottom of the Gamecube.

Realistically, the memory card port makes a LOT more sense for a controller than the serial port hidden in the back of the system.

AniHawk

Remember the interview where someone asked him if Link would talk, and he said maybe he would do the voice, or maybe you could yourself? Miyamato likes dropping hints like that.

It would be the perfect way to have Link talk unless you hate your own voice.

ge-man

Hero said:

Keep in mind that every Nintendo console has had extra ports that have seen little or no use. They make their machines with the thought that an expansion *might* be in the cards for the future. The serial ports are not a guarentee of a peripheral.

BuddyC

DavidDayton said:
Realistically, the memory card port makes a LOT more sense for a controller than the serial port hidden in the back of the system.
Yea, that's what I'm thinking.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Is MP6 coming out in EU this year? If so, you might be real close.

Even if it weren't, I think this game has million-selling potential, unless the microphone causes shipping to become lower.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
Even if it weren't, I think this game has million-selling potential, unless the microphone causes shipping to become lower.

Well if it isn't, I'd put my predictions closer to 1.2-1.5 million, unless Get on da Mic is a huge seller.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Well if it isn't, I'd put my predictions closer to 1.2-1.5 million, unless Get on da Mic is a huge seller.

Hmm. 600K in Japan + 600K in the U.S... I think since MKDD isn't around to hurt sales, that the Japan game can sell 800K... unless MT hurts sales.

AniHawk

CVXFREAK said:
Hmm. 600K in Japan + 600K in the U.S... I think since MKDD isn't around to hurt sales, that the Japan game can sell 800K... unless MT hurts sales.

I think MT + PM 2 + later release date for MP6 in NA will be what hurts the game's sales, not so much anything in Japan.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
I think MT + PM 2 + later release date for MP6 in NA will be what hurts the game's sales, not so much anything in Japan.

Yikes, I forgot about PM2 in the U.S.

I hope Japan's GC can get a third million seller before this gen is over, and Mp6 might fit the bill (SSBM + MP4).

Top Bottom