• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo starts animation business now

ge-man

I like this idea. I wonder how much involvement Nintendo's artists would have if this goes through. Games like Pikmin have a level of detail that I think would translate well into doing an animated feature.

for some of the guys here who are talking classic nintendo characters in their "animation business" If you look at some of the Ghilbi films; art style aside; the story / character / themes are not features you'd associated with Ghilbi.

I say interesting but I'd would like to read more.

It's ABOUT TIME! I've wanted a Mario animation in the vein of Pixar-style CGI (really Toy Story 2). Nintendo could easily pull off some slick CGI like they did for Smash Bros Melee, Mario Sunshine and Pikmin 2. I can't wait to see what comes down the pipeline first.

But if Nintendo were to establish a dedicated animation studio the results would be future projects ranging in a variety of characters. Sure, the first film would be about the poet, but you don't establish such a venture for one film.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, I think this is more of a one-off thing, or something they'd occasionally do when Yamauchi has some pet project he wants done. Don't think it'll relate to their games business really..if they do do it, I imagine they'd just spin off a company to handle it.

gofreak said:
Yeah, I think this is more of a one-off thing, or something they'd occasionally do when Yamauchi has some pet project he wants done. Don't think it'll relate to their games business really..if they do do it, I imagine they'd just spin off a company to handle it.

"Though it is up to the management whether the company will decide to make an animation piece, we should advance to such a field. Nintendo could take a risk," he said.

This doesn't sound like a man who wants to dabble in just one movie.

Meier

loxy said:
I thought Nintendo was already in the animation buisness. Who's doing Pokemon, Kirby and F-Zero right now?

They just license the characters out to various animation studios. In this case, it would presumably Nintendo themselves animating, etc. the film. I disagree that this is a one-time thing though and am confident that Nintendo won't pull a Square because if there is one thing Nintendo is a master of, that's being fiscally conservative. The budget would probably be very modest ($15 million tops, so a few million less than a typical Ghibli production).

As for the future, this looks like it could be a strong way to advance properties that don't have much footing yet. Kind of like what Hamtaro did (the game and animation helped one another) in the late 90s US.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
evilromero said:
This doesn't sound like a man who wants to dabble in just one movie.

That translation isn't very good. I can see how one might interpret it as him saying that Nintendo should involve itself in the field fully/over the longer term etc. but it's too difficult to say for sure what he meant from that quote.

It just sounds to me like Yamauchi has this nice pet project he's looking after in his "retirement", it's part of his personal interests etc., and he wants Nintendo to help him out since he obviously sees the potential for Nintendo to make money from it too. I guess we shall see..

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Meier said:
As for the future, this looks like it could be a strong way to advance properties that don't have much footing yet. Kind of like what Hamtaro did (the game and animation helped one another) in the late 90s US.

no one herre heard of hamtaro until like 2002.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Where the fuck did this come from? Jesus Christ I don't think anyone could have anticipated this (I mean a vague guess considering they have stock in Bandai and they are heavy into animation).

God I hope this idea turns out to be decent.

Meier

jooey said:
no one herre heard of hamtaro until like 2002.

Was it only 2002? Man, it feels like it was so much longer ago. Looking it up, I see it started in Japan back in 2000, I guess that's why it felt like it had been longer.

akascream

Banned
Sounds like they are expanding thier business model in case thier situation in the industry continues to decline. Can't say I'm happy that this may take resources from thier videogame products either.

Sounds great to me, I've always been of the opinion that animated tie-ins greatly enhance the popularity of the series. Look at the Japan, the have pokemon tv series, movies, comics it coro coro comics and so forth... big tie ins = big sales

Teddman

I hear they are approaching Paul WS Anderson to do a live action version of Metroid too. Full Resident Evil treatment and all, complete with Jovovich as Samus.

Can't wait! ;)

Meier

Doth Togo said:
:lol Banned for saying Mario's gay. :lol

There's love for everyone here at the GAF.

That's just his normal tag. We should only be so lucky for it to be enforced :p

If they make Mario cartoons ever again, PLEASE lose the jolly italian accent. For me: Mario of Mario Bros 3 era >> Mickey Mouse in terms of likability, and how iconic he was. Martinet's "woohoo" Mario <<<< Mickey Mouse <<<<< Anakin Skywalker from Star Wars Episode I.

Ranger X

This is good news!! If Nintendo don't mess with all that it could help them alot. When you have backing dollars, it can lead you to pretty cool achievements. Nintendo is at a disadvantage about backing dollars compared to Microsoft and Sony so this news is all good!
Now where's my hi-budget animated feature of Super Mario Bros in beyootifull 24 fps?

Gahiggidy said:
Disney is doomed.

Disney is not making animated movies anymore. They only make CG animation at the movies now. It sad that Disney stop making traditional cartoon movies. I hope Nintendo is doing the right thing. (This sound like something Sega would do)

AniHawk

Timbuktu said:
Oh no! If they make an animated Zelda, does it mean Link in future games will have a voice?

DaleGribble said:
I doubt we see a The Legend of Zelda anime since someone at Nintendo once said that they would then have to base the games off the anime

Ranger X

sonic4ever said:
Disney is not making animated movies anymore. They only make CG animation at the movies now.

Source please?
Disney is still in traditionnal cartoon. It's just that when they do a movie with Pixar then it's CGs...

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, and if they were to use traditional Nintendo franchises instead of original works (i.e. mario) not making a paper mario movie would be a crime.

edit: shit was supposed to be an edit. stupid no delete. sorry for dp.

Wyzdom said:
Source please?
Disney is still in traditionnal cartoon. It's just that when they do a movie with Pixar then it's CGs...

Michael Eisner is definitely pushing the company to drop 2D animation all together and has publically declared it "dead". They've already shut down the 2D animation operations they had in Florida.

Of course a lot of shareholders aren't happy with Eisner and his direction, particularly Roy Disney (Walt's nephew), who disagrees with almost everything Eisner does these days.

But if Eisner isn't forced out before the end of his contract (which is up in 2006) he's definitely going to continue dismantling their 2D animation operations.

Chrono

Banned
It looks like they're just testing the waters with this first movie. I hope they don't focus entirely on their game franchises (like they're doing with this first project) and perhaps create an original anime or adapt a manga...

And they should invest in Studio BONES instead of Bandai! :p

Scrow said:
can someone please get that picture of Yamauchi dressed as a pimp?

p.jpg

Wyzdom said:
Source please?

Well, tell that to all the people that got fired when the Florida studio closed down. "Home on the Range" was the last traditional hand drawn movie that Disney produced, I am not counting the made for video releases. Pixar is ending their relationship with Disney after the "Incredibles." So Disney is starting thier own CGI animation studio instead of going the hand drawn route. FYI the first Disney CGI animated movie is going to be "chicken Little."

It seems by the Interview that Yamauchi want to do serious animated films. I don't see that flying in the USA. In Japan that is another story but the USA prefer to have more kid friendly animated films. If the Yamauchi markets the animation for television, like pokemone, then I see it doing well.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
sonic4ever: Your sources don't exactly back up your claim. One of them even says, point blank "The company, however, reiterated its commitment to traditional animation and said it has some hand-drawn projects in development."

AniHawk

2D is now pretty much dead at Disney. Pixar was going to leave, but they're going to stay after all. Here's a couple movies which look damn stylish coming out of Disney's animation department (could be just concept art, but still looks good if they're real):

ru2.jpg

ru3.jpg

ru5.jpg

Rapunzel

adwwr1.jpg

A Day with Wilbur Robinson

aad4.jpg

aad3.jpg

aad6.jpg

American Dog

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Wyzdom said:
Source please?

they closed down a ton of animation studios and all their future projects seem to be 3D .

:(

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
quadriplegicjon said:
they closed down a ton of animation studios and all their future projects seem to be 3D .

:(

UGH! This is the most retarded thing ever. The fact that their last handful of 2d movies were God Awful means that 2d animation won't sell anymore? Right. >_<

Acrylamid

MrCheez said:
UGH! This is the most retarded thing ever. The fact that their last handful of 2d movies were God Awful means that 2d animation won't sell anymore? Right. >_<
IMO, Brother Bear and Home on the Range were great Disney films but unfortunately didn't get much attention because of CGI animated movies.

Shouta

I have the dubbed Fire Emblem tapes that ADV released ages ago. It's not a bad OAV and I actually had hoped they would continue it but it was just a precursor to FEIV as I recall. If anyone wants a scan of the cover, I can do that a bit later.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
AniHawk - that's all concept art... Rapunzel Unbraided is a 2D/3D hybrid, while A Day with Wilbur Robinson and American Dog are both supposed to be completely CGI. Who knows what the end product will look like. I loved the concept art for Treasure Planet... and I think we all know how that one turned out.

explodet

Shouta said:
I have the dubbed Fire Emblem tapes that ADV released ages ago. It's not a bad OAV and I actually had hoped they would continue it but it was just a precursor to FEIV as I recall. If anyone wants a scan of the cover, I can do that a bit later.
Eh, I wouldn't worry about it.

From amazon.com:

6304824823.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Top Bottom