• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No New DC Comics Movies For “At Least 3 Years” Besides Batman and Superman Films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dram

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-nolan-warner-dc-justice-league-20120710,0,4654712.story

Warner Bros. will need a new hero to invigorate its DC Comics brand on the big screen, now that director Christopher Nolan’s successful Batman trilogy comes to an end with next week's "The Dark Knight Rises."

Home to such superheroes as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, DC has struggled to find the same success on the big screen as its Walt Disney Co.-owned rival Marvel Entertainment — despite having a better known collection of characters.

Nolan's Batman movies have been its only hits of the past decade, surrounded by modest flops such as 2006's "Superman Returns" and 2009's "Watchmen" and such major money-losers as 2010's "Jonah Hex" and last year's "Green Lantern."

As a result, top Warner executives had hoped that Nolan, who is producing next summer’s Superman reboot "Man of Steel," would agree to serve the same role on the studio's "Justice League," which may hit theaters in 2015.

However, Nolan has declined the studio's overtures, the filmmaker confirmed last weekend in interviews promoting the release of his final Batman installment. He also doesn’t plan to produce Robinov's hoped-for Batman reboot.

Like all the Hollywood studios, Warner craves new film franchises, which tend to perform best overseas, generate sequels and drive sales of DVDs, toys and other ancillary products.

Warner's most successful franchise, "Harry Potter," came to a close last year. While the studio has a pair of "Hobbit" films kicking off in December, it's on the hunt for more. The comic book library is the most obvious source of material, given the success Marvel has had over the last few years with movies based on Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America, culminating in May’s $1.5-billion box-office blockbuster "The Avengers."

But none of the DC movies currently in the works has a producer, director or cast, save for Zack Snyder’s $200-million-plus "Man of Steel."

As a result, it will likely be at least three years before a new DC title hits the big screen, according to several knowledgeable people close to Warner Bros. who were not authorized to speak publicly.

Marvel, by contrast, has four new films coming out between now and 2014 — new sequels to "Iron Man," "Thor" and "Captain America," along with the debut of the interstellar team "Guardians of the Galaxy."

In 2009, Warner reorganized its 78-year-old comic book subsidiary under the name DC Entertainment. The new unit was supposed to serve as a guiding force for projects throughout the company. Over the last three years, under former "Harry Potter" brand manager Diane Nelson, DCE has relaunched its line of comics and grown publishing revenue 10%, shepherded a new lineup of animated shows and video games, and helped bring a new TV series based on Green Arrow to the CW Network this fall.

But DC Entertainment has not been able to accelerate the movie slate overseen by Robinov, even though its chief creative officer, veteran comic book writer Geoff Johns, has consulted on some of the projects. Johns played no role in Nolan’s Batman movies or "Man of Steel," said people close to both pictures.

Indeed, one of the people described Nolan's creative process as a "black-box operation" into which outsiders have little input.

Despite the studio’s desire to make the most of its DC library, Warner's creative approach to its DC movies is very different from Marvel's.

First, it has attempted to keep a single filmmaker involved in numerous pictures, as evidenced by the attempt to attract Nolan to "Justice League."

Marvel, by contrast, typically hires filmmakers with little experience on big-budget tentpoles who can be had at a low price, such as "Lethal Weapon" screenwriter Shane Black, who is directing "Iron Man 3," and TV comedy veterans Anthony and Joe Russo on "Captain America 2." They are often replaced by still-newer filmmakers for sequels.

And while Warner would put most of its DC heroes on the big screen for the first time in "Justice League" and then potentially spin them out into their own movies, Marvel introduced four of its key characters in their own movies before teaming them up in "Avengers."

But with Nolan moving on to other projects, Warner Bros. must take a leap of faith without its superhero savior. Robinov claims he’s ready to do it soon.

"My hope is that over the next month or so," he said, "we’ll be ready to lay out the plan for the next DC movies."

Does anyone else find it weird that Rocket Raccoon will be in a movie before Wonder Woman and Flash?

Mariolee

The problem is that with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, everything is tied together. Each movie feels integral to the whole grand scheme of things, and thus puts the mindset that it is "required viewing" and are building up to something bigger. With DC films, none of them are tied together and so nothing feels like a must-see, and a lot of the films are simply mediocre to bad.

Ein Bear

Home to such superheroes as Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, DC has struggled to find the same success on the big screen as its Walt Disney Co.-owned rival Marvel Entertainment — despite having a better known collection of characters.

Umm...?

What about Green Lantern 2? 0_o

I'd quite like to see a sequel from a director who is actually up to the task. It's a good franchise and one that was essentially sabotaged by poor decision after poor decision before it even had a chance to establish itself.

A sequel focusing on Sinestro as he slowly becomes the villain could work, just drop the CG suit and mask and focus more on the Latern Corps.

Jacob

I can't say I'm surprised by this. Especially considering that Nolan is apparently NOT producing the hypothetical Batman reboot. I'm sure WB would like to develop a "DC Cinematic Universe" of their own but they're going to need a while to figure out what they're doing. The wait will also give them time to let audiences move on from the Nolanverse so they can replace it with Justice League, if they decide to go in that direction in the end.

Marvel does what DCan't.

10/10

noah111

Still Alive
Yeesh, this is really going to hurt DC comics overall. The best thing about Marvel's golden age of film we're experiencing now, is that so many more people are going to be getting into comics in general. But yea, this is for the best in the long run tbh, anything DC releases that isn't Superman or Batman at this point, would bomb when squeezed in-between all the other MCU movies coming out.

Mariolee

I can't say I'm surprised by this. Especially considering that Nolan is apparently NOT producing the hypothetical Batman reboot. I'm sure WB would like to develop a "DC Cinematic Universe" of their own but they're going to need a while to figure out what they're doing. The wait will also give them time to let audiences move on from the Nolanverse so they can replace it with Justice League, if they decide to go in that direction in the end.

I kinda wish they built off the Nolanverse. With Man of Steel being shot in the same way as The Dark Knight, although of course the latter being much more realistic, with Nolan as producer at the helm I wouldn't mind seeing a semi-grounded DCU.

I know Nolan isn't game for it at the moment, but man it would be awesome if executed correctly.

Brera

Banned
I think DC has the sort of characters that don't translate as well as Marvel.

I've always founf DC overly serious and depressing compared to Marvel which is more fun and colourrful.

Batman is their only universally popular hero, the rest are pretty mediocre or out of date, or in the case of Superman...both.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I thought this was about the animated movies and my heart stopped for a moment, as much as I love the Batman/JL DTV's.

Here's some advice to you, WB: Hire good directors, and let them do their thing. That's how Nolan was able to make the most successful comic book movie franchise of all time. Do more of that, and you'll be fine. Also, you don't need a Justice League movie. It could be cool, but it's cooler letting the directors do a good story, first.

Oh and get rid of Snyder. Dude is not a good director.

Marvel does what DC don't.

Shame, really.

Movies-wise they're doing very well compared to DC.

Cartoon, comics, animated features, and videogame-wise... not so much.

Bleepey

The problem is that with the Marvel Cinematic Universe, everything is tied together. Each movie feels integral to the whole grand scheme of things, and thus puts the mindset that it is "required viewing" and are building up to something bigger. With DC films, none of them are tied together and so nothing feels like a must-see, and a lot of the films are simply mediocre to bad.

So just like the comics as well.

i don't really mind. imo the only noteworthy marvel movies have been Ironman 1 and Avengers..and
Ang Lee's Hulk movie
. the others are average at best.

i didn't know Watchmen was a flop....thats disappointing.

pants

Have to reboot a new Batman. I'm sure DC/WB is going to be scrambling to try and set up Justice League like Avengers was.
If they keep only the core :

-Flash (lol)
-Wonder Woman (up in the air?)
-Superman (covered)
-Green Lantern (kinda covered)
-Batman (new reboot)

Could have it out by 2015 if they start right now.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It'd be damaging to Nolan's Gotham universe if they rebooted Batman within the next decade.

Actually if Amazing Spider-Man is any indication, they'll be looked back on even more fondly!

I don't envy whoever is tasked with the next Batman movie. Expectations are going to be high as hell, not only quality-wise but in terms of tone and characterization. And unfortunately for the next Batman movie, TDKR looks to be far from the abject bomb B&R was so it will compare less favorably to its predecessor.

.GqueB.

Banned

Well keep in mind that was all planned before hand or at least around the time Ironman made such a large splash. it wasn't just happen stance that these movies worked so well together. There were supposed to.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Unless you're a Time Warner investor, who really cares about this race to match Marvel's output? After all, Marvel's output has been mostly mediocre anyway, with the exceptions of Iron Man and apparently The Avengers (I haven't seen it yet).

I'd rather DC take it slow and hope to find some creative voices to give the unused characters some real vision, rather than get more movies like Green Lantern or Jonah Hex.

That gave me a good laugh. Marvel did a great job building Iron Man up to a top-tier superhero. Plus they already "have" Sipder-Man, Wolverine and so many more.

Until the last few years though, no one would question that DC had the more famous superheroes. They had more history, and for better or worse, Superfriends put the 2nd tier heroes on the map ages ago. This has obviously changed with all the Marvel movies and TV shows in recent times.

BY2K

Membero Americo
If they keep only the core :

-Flash (lol)
-Wonder Woman (up in the air?)
-Superman (covered)
-Green Lantern (kinda covered)
-Batman (new reboot)

Could have it out by 2015 if they start right now.

You forgot Martian Manhunter.

Slayven

Unless you're a Time Warner investor, who really cares about this race to match Marvel's output? After all, Marvel's output has been mostly mediocre anyway, with the exceptions of Iron Man and apparently The Avengers (I haven't seen it yet).

I'd rather DC take it slow and hope to find some creative voices to give the unused characters some real vision, rather than get more movies like Green Lantern or Jonah Hex.

Until the last few years though, no one would question that DC had the more famous superheroes. They had more history, and for better or worse, Superfriends put the 2nd tier heroes on the map ages ago.
Superfriends is why those 2nd tier heroes can't be taken seriously.

Why a Batman reboot. Why not a Batman Beyond movie?

It makes too much sense to pass up. I can't see anyone being able to better the Nolan trilogy any time soon, so why not just push ahead with a Beyond movie? Hell, you could even cast Bale as old Bruce. Now that would be great or not, I don't care...just give me a Batman Beyond movie.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cartoons and animated features, sure. Games and comics, disagree

I hate list wars but I'm really curious what Marvel has to offer games-wise that compares to the Arkham franchise, Lego Batman 2, and Injustice. Deadpool's coming out soon I guess...? Along with the fiftieth Spider-Man game in the past couple years.

Comics-wise I see nothing but ire on Marvel's side. The Ultimate universe basically imploded on itself with terrible decision after terrible decision, the wounds of One More Day and Ultimatum are still fresh, and I haven't heard of Marvel producing any really compelling story like DC's All-Star Superman, Final Crisis, Court of Owls, etc.

I slant towards DC in my tastes but I try not to let it taint how I see the current landscape, and from where I stand it isn't that rosy for Marvel outside their extremely well-handled movieverse.

Wait...they are already planning a batman reboot?
Of course. Nolan won't be back for a 4th and they're not going to leave money on the table when they can reboot it.
Didn't the restructure not too long ago to make it easier to make DC movies?
That's what I don't understand. Someone over there is slacking.
It'd be damaging to Nolan's Gotham universe if they rebooted Batman within the next decade.
How so?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yup, shitty move since it would confuse people. Should just make Batman Beyond or Robin/Nightwing trilogy, but that will never happen :(

I'd kill for a well-done Nightwing movie.

fuck a Justice League movie. I'd rather have a Kingdom Come miniseries on HBO.

God that would be amazing. Even a series of animated movies would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom