• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drakken

Blader5489 said:
That guy was such an asshole. "What emotion are you feeling?" What the fuck kind of question is that?

Agreed. I always hate the questions they ask in post-event interviews. They're always the same and they reveal absolutely nothing. "How do you feel?" "What's going through your head?" "Describe your emotions."

Totally unnecessary; just let them enjoy the moment, please.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
China pulled off the upset in handball

the Sweeds were all like :'(

Argentina won a bronze in sailing which is a good omen for the basketball team

Meier

r1562085775.jpg

Ultimate stinkface.

Meier

mYm|17| said:
Looks like teh USA women's volleyball team is gonna beat Cuba.............suck it down Cuba
Awesome, our women apparently only have 2 medals at VB and we haven't won one since '92. Nice work ladies.

jobber

ryutaro's mama said:
Now you need omens?

yes

it's going to be 6 1/2 players for Argentina vs. 12 US players

The Argentina soccer team is willing to donate a few players

Jamesfrom818 said:
The next Olympics should have synchronized gymnastics. It could be awesome for the pommel horse, rings, parallel bars and uneven bars.
Great idea.

But why not combine diving and gymnastics?

Synchronized pommelhorse diving: A ladder leads to a pommel horse mounted high up on a pole in the center of pool. Athletes ascend the ladder, do a pommel horse routine, and then dismount into a dive.

Even better - balance beam diving! One little mistake and you're in the drink.

Fuck, pretty much every gymnastic event + diving would be amazing.

Put a vault at the end of a 10m diving platform. How awesome would that be?

jobber said:
yes

it's going to be 6 1/2 players for Argentina vs. 12 US players

The Argentina soccer team is willing to donate a few players

Aw, c'mon Manu is more than 1/2 a player.

And US has only 11 players if you factor in Carmelo Laettner.

No worries man.

Remember, this is a team of selfish, ego driven pricks, who don't know the team concept.

Argentina should have no problems.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/08/bolt_quotes_ridiculous_and_sub.html

Jamaican Assistant Track Coach Maurice Wilson [to a Norwegian]: "What is your national sport, fishing? ["Skiing," he was told.] So when you have a ski championship you have a lot of persons coming, right? Well it is the same with us. Track and field is our national sport."
:lol

Usain Bolt: "You want the truth, right? All right. I got up at 12, yah, 12. My masseuse brought me nuggets, of course. I'm serious, though, he brought me nuggets. I didn't really want to go to the cafeteria so he brought me nuggets. And I came straight to the track, and my masseuse again brought me more nuggets. I just had two, though, because my coach was saying I shouldn't eat so much nuggets before the race."

Ok, you'll probably see that quote elsewhere, with Bolt saying that for a second straight record-breaking night his fuel was chicken nuggets. And it's a damn shame no one asked him about yams.

linsivvi

ryutaro's mama said:

No worries man.

Remember, this is a team of selfish, ego driven pricks, who don't know the team concept.

Well they didn't have any problem 4 years ago.

But then that team they went against had Marbury, Iverson, Stoudemire, Odom and Laettner, which should collectively count as -3 players, and 7-3 = 4.

jobber

ryutaro's mama said:

No worries man.

It's nocioni who's the 1/2 is for
In the 3rd quarter people thought he was done for the rest of the olympics. Seems like he pulled a Pierce. If Delfino didn't step up, bad things would've happened!

OpinionatedCyborg said:
Great idea.

But why not combine diving and gymnastics?

Synchronized pommelhorse diving: A ladder leads to a pommel horse mounted high up on a pole in the center of pool. Athletes ascend the ladder, do a pommel horse routine, and then dismount into a dive.

Even better - balance beam diving! One little mistake and you're in the drink.

Fuck, pretty much every gymnastic event + diving would be amazing.

Put a vault at the end of a 10m diving platform. How awesome would that be?

That would be awesome.

Another event that should be added is the brass pole.

Gianny

Can someone tell me at what speed was BOLT running the 200mts?

There is a co-worker telling us that when he was in his 20's that he ran the 100mts in 9.40 seconds. This guy is from latinamerica so I don't think is in our genes...

Come on, it's given that Bolt is cheating. There are no inspections on his little island compared to other nations. US "athletes" like to "train" on Jamaica, too, because they aren't bothered by nasty inspectors over there. The only reasons why cheaters like Phelps and Bolt so eagerly go to blood tests now is either because they have much confidence that the drugs they use can't be proven or the drugs they used are already out of their system come the Olympics.

Everybody who is still in the system will deny the doping swearing on their mother's grave. And all the people who are out of the system basically say that it's impossible to compete without doping. I'm inclined to believe people like Angel Heredia after scandals like Marion Jones and all the others. You have to be rather naive to think these sports are clean. I might believe that about events that mainly require technique, but in all the power sports people are doped up to their lying arse.

Socreges

Banned
given Canada's medal performance, i have to wonder about possible doping.

this may sound cold, but with such striking and elegant showings, i grow suspicious.

emanuel sandhu has recently developed indication of a possible bicep and i may have seen a small patch of facial hair on his upper lip on my hdtv

elvis stojko... well, we all know how consistent he has remained over the years, despite getting older. not to mention his celebrations after successful showings, full of a variety of fist pumps and violent hip thrusts

jamie sale is no stranger to controversy, we can't forget. she may be afraid of leaving her chances to the judges :/

James Power said:
Come on, it's given that Bolt is cheating. There are no inspections on his little island compared to other nations. US "athletes" like to "train" on Jamaica, too, because they aren't bothered by nasty inspectors over there. The only reasons why cheaters like Phelps and Bolt so eagerly go to blood tests now is either because they have much confidence that the drugs they use can't be proven or the drugs they used are already out of their system come the Olympics.

Everybody who is still in the system will deny the doping swearing on their mother's grave. And all the people who are out of the system basically say that it's impossible to compete without doping. I'm inclined to believe people like Angel Heredia after scandals like Marion Jones and all the others. You have to be rather naive to think these sports are clean. I might believe that about events that mainly require technique, but in all the power sports people are doped up to their lying arse.
HI HATER

deepbrown

Wee :)

17golds 11 silvers 11 bronzes and more to come :D

Are you US guys still upset with your preformance at this Olympics? Wouldn't you like to feel happy at getting "only" 17 golds again? :)

Horses are where the action is today! BBC Live Text is fantastic as ever:

1009: "Watch the modern pentathlon. The first competitor has not managed to jump a single fence! The second one has fallen off!"
Beth in London, via text on 81111
Just turned over to see a replay of the faller. Brutal.

1016: Is this normal? There's another faller in the modern pentathlon show-jumping. The course is like a mud-bath and some of these riders look like they've never seen a horse before, let alone ridden one. I'm looking for a modern pentathlon expert in the office... I may be some time.

1020: Little by little, information is dribbling through. Apparently, modern pentathlon competitors have to pick their horses at random, hence lots of fallers, some fences being completely destroyed - and audible gasps of horror from the crowd. It's brutal, but weirdly gripping.

1022: "Re 1020: it's like a live action version of buckaroo."

Marty via text on 81111

1025: Bombshell news from the show jumping... A number of horses have tested positive for banned substances - don't know which ones or what substance. Four have been disqualified from tonight's finale - and they will also be dq'd from the team event a few days ago. GB finished 7th in the team event - so we don't think it would affect them - but we believe it could affect the medals. Think something should develop in next 10 mins with a press conference at 1100 BST.

1032: Britain's Sam Weale next to tackle It's A Knockout... sorry, the show jumping at the modern pentathlon. He and his horse try to go through a fence and then fail to jump it at the second attempt and that's 224 penalty points. Which isn't as bad as it sounds.

1032: Who would have thought the modern pentathlon would lead to such a rich vein of comedy texts? But come on people, horses testing positive for banned substances is NOT a laughing matter. And no, it wasn't for a-neigh-bolic steroids. Honestly.

Blonska was caught yesterday, she came in second in the womens heptathlon.
Funny thing is she also qualified for the long-jump final and they are letting here compete until they have the result from the B-sample.

This is'nt the first time either, she was suspended 2005-2007.

JonathanEx said:
1032: Who would have thought the modern pentathlon would lead to such a rich vein of comedy texts? But come on people, horses testing positive for banned substances is NOT a laughing matter. And no, it wasn't for a-neigh-bolic steroids. Honestly.

1045: Nor did they test positive for test-horse-terone, a class hay substance or anabolic stirrups. Come on. Enough now. We need the athletics to start before this gets way out of hand.
:lol :lol :lol

The BBC live blog is great, well worth the license fee by itself.

Branduil

Copycat_Wannabe said:
Blonska was caught yesterday, she came in second in the womens heptathlon.
Funny thing is she also qualified for the long-jump final and they are letting here compete until they have the result from the B-sample.

This is'nt the first time either, she was suspended 2005-2007.
Hey, that means US goes from a bronze to a silver.

Peru

Handball, semifinals S Korea - Norway. Bad, bad start for Norway but they've almost caught up, half time now. Good stuff.

mclem

deepbrown said:
Wee :)

17golds 11 silvers 11 bronzes and more to come :D

More to the point, that goal of 41 medals that they were aiming for before the olympics to set them in good stead for 2012 - a goal I thought was pretty ludicrous at the time - is already behind us (counting the guaranteed boxing ones), and we've still got a good few chances to expand on it.

Not counting 1908, this isn't just beating our previous performances, it's annihilating them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom