• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

mclem

chickensoup said:
:lol :lol :lol

The BBC live blog is great, well worth the license fee by itself.

It was quite good for Wimbledon, but they've really stepped it up for the Olympics. Nice mix of cheeriness, optimism, facts, silliness, sarcasm and chat, it's really good for feeling upbeat through the working day.

Damn, I'm starting to sound like an ad. Tune in to the LiveBlog... TODAY!

wackojackosnose said:
BREAKING NEWS:

Words completely fail me.

During the Triple Crown thing this year they were always talking about how lots of horses have steroids pumped into them because it's legal in many states.

Did they show women's Olympic indoor volleyball match between the US and Cuba on any stations yet? I already know who won but I still want to watch it.

Peru

Hell yes, what a comeback! 5 goals behind, now 3 ahead, heading for the final!

handballforbilder6_1197649898.jpg

Nolan.

Soon drugging yourself will be a part of the olympic programme or the olympics itself. Even the damn horses are getting drugged. Why don't we just turn it into who can come up with the best drugged athlete and eliminate the whole natural angle since we've evolved and all. Seriously though it's like it will never go away. I don't even see how you could seriously take medal and celebrate even if you got away with it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Japan is actually beating the US right now in the gold medal softball game. Japan is leading 2-0 and we're in the 4th inning. But it's starting to rain really hard right now, so it looks like we'll see a delay.

Peru

Wow Korea got even 5 seconds before full time and Norway managed to run up and score a goal at the very, very last second. Epic.

Ceres

Banned
wackojackosnose said:
BREAKING NEWS:

Words completely fail me.

It's not really surprising. These horses have more damage done to their body than most athletes. The summer camp I used to go to had a retired show jumping horse. He couldn't be used at all for jumping anymore because his knees were so bad and most of the cartilage was gone.

And doping doesn't automatically mean steroids.

"Capsaicin is classified as a 'doping' prohibited substance given its hypersensitising properties, and as a 'medication class A' prohibited substance for its pain relieving properties."

Beezy

James Power said:
Come on, it's given that Bolt is cheating. There are no inspections on his little island compared to other nations. US "athletes" like to "train" on Jamaica, too, because they aren't bothered by nasty inspectors over there. The only reasons why cheaters like Phelps and Bolt so eagerly go to blood tests now is either because they have much confidence that the drugs they use can't be proven or the drugs they used are already out of their system come the Olympics.

Everybody who is still in the system will deny the doping swearing on their mother's grave. And all the people who are out of the system basically say that it's impossible to compete without doping. I'm inclined to believe people like Angel Heredia after scandals like Marion Jones and all the others. You have to be rather naive to think these sports are clean. I might believe that about events that mainly require technique, but in all the power sports people are doped up to their lying arse.
Um.... eat a dick?

Beezy

avaya said:
Shame Allyson Felix was not fully fit for these games. She'll get her 200m gold in London.
???

She lost to Veronica Campbell in the last olympics also.

seanoff said:
US out of the 4x100m relay

the great Tyson Gay dropped the baton
:lol

Tell us who wins please.

Nolan.

pollo said:
and US gets screwed by an Asian country once again. What else is new :lol

Japan... and the Netherlands... ugh he can't even grab the batton they should have just cut him from the team, the Usa was having such a great run then...

Nolan.

The 4x100 always makes me nervous since someone is always likely to spoil it for the team, I wonder who will do it in this heat. If it's Jamaica that would be a laugh. Anyway.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The US Softball team is choking big time. They might lose to Japan. :(

Grizzlyjin said:
The US Softball team is choking big time. They might lose to Japan. :(

It's all a tactic for the future man. If we lose this one then it will look like American domination of softball is over and the IOC will keep the game for the next few olympics, and we can sweep those golds!

mclem

Nolan. said:
Omg great britain went too early :facepalm... oh craig pickering.
That's really disappointing. I'm slightly bothered by the fact that we might get away with it, too, since at the moment there's no sign of a DQ flag.

To be fair, the handover was right on the limit, so it's not necessarily a tainted victory, but it's always going to look a bit suspect.

Edit to add: DQ confirmed. It's for the best.

Angel

BBC live blog on the Britains 4x100

1341: "If the commentators would just shut up the judges might not notice..."

:lol

we're out :(

Nolan.

Gb could have gotten away with it if it wasn't for those pesky commentators.

Omg @ the americans again! this is just a terrible olympics for the Usa what a bunch of rubbish.

jey_16

Banned
the second last american runner just completley missed tyson gay's hand....the americans and the british going out is disappointing though, would have been good to see the matchup wtih Jamaica

Ceres

Banned
Ouch for US softball. They dominated until that last game. Hopefully won't be a repeat of that in the soccer game starting in 10 minutes (not that the US has been dominating that).

Delio

Really painful to watch the Softball team choke like that >.<. I guess the pressure was just to much on them and the japanese girls took advantage of that.

Nolan.

Well if the Jamaicans drop the batton then it's anyone's medal. I still can't believe the Usa they're all experienced too. It's not like some new amateur team, gay kept moving his hand then that woman. They could still make it though if a lot of people get Dqed. Not the Us men though since they didn't finish.

Threi

notag
James Power said:
Come on, it's given that Bolt is cheating. There are no inspections on his little island compared to other nations. US "athletes" like to "train" on Jamaica, too, because they aren't bothered by nasty inspectors over there. The only reasons why cheaters like Phelps and Bolt so eagerly go to blood tests now is either because they have much confidence that the drugs they use can't be proven or the drugs they used are already out of their system come the Olympics.

Everybody who is still in the system will deny the doping swearing on their mother's grave. And all the people who are out of the system basically say that it's impossible to compete without doping. I'm inclined to believe people like Angel Heredia after scandals like Marion Jones and all the others. You have to be rather naive to think these sports are clean. I might believe that about events that mainly require technique, but in all the power sports people are doped up to their lying arse.
u mad?

Nolan.

And the trinidadian and french women seems to have batton changing problems too. If these medals goes to the only team able to change properly but not necessairly the fastest team that would just be embarassing. These are top athletes... allegedly.

Blader

seanoff said:
US out of the 4x100m relay

the great Tyson Gay dropped the baton

Oh, you've got to be shitting me.

I was just saying to my dad last night, not 12 hours ago, that at the rate the US track team has been collapsing, you know the relay team is going to drop the baton.

But they actually dropped the fucking baton?! There aren't enough facepalm.gifs in the world for that.

Ceres

Banned
xero273 said:
I think Canada going to win Gold medal in diving. Good job, Canada.

Women's platform I assume? She was doing awesome in the qualifiers yesterday though I honestly expected a 1/2 for China in that.

Nolan.

Branduil said:
Tyson Gay needs to be banned from future Olympics. He's single-handedly ruining our Track-and-Field.

Well watching it again a few times it looks like it's not entirely his fault if at all. Patton seemed to be messing around with it and when he let go the batton was'nt fully inside of gay's hand. Just happend on Gay's turn, still though thats just terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom