• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Former Renault boss Flavio Briatore has denied any personal guilt in the Singapore Grand Prix's race-fixing scandal after the Italian and the FIA reached a settlement on the matter.

The FIA said on Monday that both Briatore and engineering head Pat Symonds would be allowed to work in Formula 1 again in 2013 and in any FIA-sanctioned series from 2012.

The ruling body said both men had "expressed their regrets and presented their apologies to the FIA."

Briatore, however, said in a statement on Monday evening that, while he accepted his share of responsibility in the affair, he did not admit any personal guilt and did not accept the FIA decision was well-founded.

"He [Briatore] confirmed his acceptance to bear his share of responsibility in the Singapore events in his capacity of Managing Director of the Renault F1 Team, at the time they happened, without any admission of a personal guilt in these events and without any recognition of the fact that the decision of the World Council rendered against him would have been well-founded," said Briatore in a statement.

"Flavio Briatore informed the FIA of his intention not to undertake any operational role in Formula 1 before the end of 2012, nor in any other FIA Championship, before the end of the Racing Season 2011," it added.

Source

Chris R

Was another easy question that requires no searching on the internet (IMO). I'll enjoy the bonus 3 million, and will probably upgrade my fuel supplier or chassis. Going to stick with the crap drivers for longer since the other stuff seems to give more points for the money.

navanman

TylerD said:
Why do all of subzero's posts look like this now? D:

Hooray for another GP weekend!

WTF!! He edited all his posts at 2 am GMT this morning.

Has he been censored?

He is usually an updating machine with all the latest gossip and news and photos from all the races. His update to the motorsport thread after motogp weekend was mystifying.

Please come back to us, subzero!!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
rhfb said:
Was another easy question that requires no searching on the internet (IMO). I'll enjoy the bonus 3 million, and will probably upgrade my fuel supplier or chassis. Going to stick with the crap drivers for longer since the other stuff seems to give more points for the money.

I've gone the other way. bumped my fuel up to total, dropped my chassis and engine suppliers through the floor and bought Vettel.

navanman

OH MAN, this is a disaster, the epic OP is even gone. WTF!!

Anyone know how to get a google cache of this thread with the old subzero posts.

Chris R

mrklaw said:
I've gone the other way. bumped my fuel up to total, dropped my chassis and engine suppliers through the floor and bought Vettel.
I just have absolutely no way to afford any of the better drivers. Even with the most horrible of everything set in the other slots, I'm still like 5ish million short of Vettel.

S. L.

mrklaw said:
i don't want to play the game for you guys, but when you do some highly advanced math, this doesn't seem like a very good idea unless you really know what you are doing.
i could afford a Vettel, Chand, Virgin, Virgin, Total setup. If the race results were the same as in Malaysia i would make less money then with the Malaysia setup i used.

AndyD

aka andydumi
S. L. said:
i don't want to play the game for you guys, but when you do some highly advanced math, this doesn't seem like a very good idea unless you really know what you are doing.
i could afford a Vettel, Chand, Virgin, Virgin, Total setup. If the race results were the same as in Malaysia i would make less money then with the Malaysia setup i used.

Right. Better engine/Chassis makes more money than driver right now.

Pimpwerx

My advice is prioritize this way:

1. fuel (best bang for buck if you pick right)
2. chassis/engine (second best bang for buck)
3. driver (pick at least one of your drivers based on FP2 or FP3, then the other can be the best throwaway driver you can afford form Lotus or Hispania)

That's the best advice I can give. I want our league to win, but I also want to knock dswii60 down a few pegs and win the overall. My goal is Top6 in our league and Top50 overall. I think the overall is going to be the most-difficult, but I'm not worried yet.

I can't give a more informed prediction until at least FP2, but I'd bet the chassis/engine team to go for is either Force-India or Renault. Keep an eye on Renault because of the nature of Shanghai. IIRC, the track eats tires, and running less fuel might give the Renault-powered cars an advantage there? Not sure.

If the ride-adjustment change adds anything like tenths of a second to laptimes, then I'd tip McLaren to be the team to beat this weekend. I think they're gonna be formidable come the Euro leg. But RBR and Ferrari won't stand still either. PEACE.

duckroll

blanky said:
all of subzero's post have been edited and deleted (they just show . now) including the op which was handy.

I'm going to restore the OP first, lemme know if there are more changes which need to be made.

duckroll

I have restored the OP for this thread. The Motorsport thread will be.... more difficult. I'm going to talk to the admins about this and see if we can find out wtf happened to his account.

DieH@rd

Banned
damn, im gonna be few mills short even after this bonus question. I want Sutil, but it seems im gonna have to wait until after the China.

duckroll

Seems like he decided to suicide all his posts. Doesn't seem like he was hacked, so Evilore permed him just in case. The images in the OP have been rehosted. If anyone knows what actually happened or knows him personally, feel free to share.

navanman

Oh well, I'll try and fill his boots with all the F1 news and gossip.
Does anyone know where he got all his hi-resolution race shots for F1 race weekends and the motorsport thread?

navanman

According to reports and then denied by Korean GP organisers, the inaugural Korean GP could be called off due to delays in completing the track and facilities.

This year's inaugural Korean Grand Prix is in danger of being called off following delays in the construction of the circuit.

Back in February there were already rumours that the race could be delayed until 2011, but those were denied by promoter Korea Auto Valley Operation, who said the circuit would be ready for June or July.

"The representative facilities of the circuit are in very good progress," said KAVO CEO Yung Cho Chung back then.

"The racing track itself is at 70 per cent completion rate and the main grandstand currently stands at 80 per cent. The Formula 1 track is now visible. It may be completed in June at the earliest."

The first Korean Grand Prix is scheduled for 24 October.

A report in German magazine Focus, however, says the work has been delayed because of major problems with the construction.

Track designer Herman Tilke told the magazine that he was concerned the work would not be finished in time.

"For the first time I fear that a [Tilke] circuit is not going to be ready in time," he was quoted as saying by the magazine.

The report also claims Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone is likely to make a decision on the race sooner rather than later.

Source

Korean Grand Prix organisers have denied its maiden Formula 1 race is in danger, stating that the construction of the circuit is right on schedule.

The circuit, located in Yeongam-gun, Jeollanam-do, is scheduled to host the grand prix on 24 October.

Korea Auto Valley Operation CEO Yung Cho Chung told AUTOSPORT on Monday that the construction was in fact ahead of schedule and that there were no concerns about it not being ready for the race.

"The construction progress for our circuit is well ahead of its schedule and we have absolutely no issues with completion," Cho Chung said.

"I understand that Mr. Ecclestone is quite happy with not only the progress of the track but the direction the Korean F1 race is headed and he has raised no questions and concerns."

A report in German magazine Focus claimed there was major problems with the construction of the new track, which was designed by Herman Tilke.

"For the first time I fear that a [Tilke] circuit is not going to be ready in time," Tilke was quoted as saying by the magazine.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Well, i will miss subzero updates. Missed his last update in motorsport thread. Navanman what did he posted?
EDIT: he logged on his Youtube account 13 hours ago.

Renault sure to overtake Mercedes
Renault's technical director James Allison is adamant his team can overtake rival Mercedes GP in terms of performance in the upcoming races.

"I think we can because at the moment they're only just ahead of us on qualifying pace, whereas we seemed to have the edge on race pace in Malaysia," said Allison on Monday.

"We will have more updates in China, including a new floor and an alternative front wing.

"Although this might not be enough to get ahead of Mercedes in qualifying trim, it should move us closer to their tail. And if we can jump ahead of them at the start of a race, I'm confident we have the pace to stay ahead."

Renault is 14 points behind current champion Mercedes in the constructors' championship after the first three races of the season.

Allison is confident that Renault's aggressive approach to development this year will pay dividends.

"We have made no secret of our intention to develop our car aggressively during 2010," he said. "Aggressive development means having effective ideas and getting them to the track as fast as possible.

"Our current rate of aerodynamic development is at an all-time high; it's at least double that of last year. The factory is also pulling out all the stops to get our ideas to the car in around half the time compared with last year."

And he reckons the team has achieved the maximum possible in the first trio of races, with Robert Kubica having finished second in Australia and fourth in Malaysia.

"I think we've achieved as much as we could have realistically hoped for because our results have exceeded the current level of competitiveness of the car," Allison added.

"We've made the most of the opportunities that have been presented to us and we have scored some strong results, which is a great way to start the season."
Source

Force India hopes to leapfrog Renault
Force India boss Vijay Mallya is hopeful his team can match and leapfrog Renault in this year's championship after a strong start to the season.

The Silverstone-based squad has enjoyed its best start to a season to date, having scored 18 points in the first three races, and is 12 behind Renault, fifth in the standings.

But despite Renault's impressive start to the campaign, Mallya is confident his team can continue making progress and catch up with the French squad.

"The grid is very tight as we saw in Malaysia and Australia and there's no clear delineation between the front and the midfield," said Mallya. "The most important at this stage is that we are still up there fighting.

"Renault look very strong right now but there's still a lot more races to go this year and we have a clear direction about where we are going that will keep us with them, or hopefully leapfrog them.

"The drivers are confident and the team is working well so I think fifth is still realistic."

The Indian team boss admitted he has been delighted with the progress made so far by Force India, something he reckons is down to hard work.

"At the start of the season I said we wanted to be regular points finishers and here we are, three races in, with three points' finishes," he said. "It's very pleasing when you see just how far we've come in one year: after three races in 2009 we had nul points and were tenth.

"The difference, I believe, has been keeping the focus on what we want to do. We've kept our heads down, got on with the job and to a certain extent kept out of what the other teams are doing - we've focussed on our own game. It's a real credit to Mark Smith and his team that we've got the points we have.

"The team at Brackley and Silverstone are tight-knit, efficient and the results are now coming through."
Source

navanman

Ferrari is adamant there are no reasons to be worried about the reliability of its engines following an in-depth analysis on its failures in Malaysia.

Fernando Alonso was forced into retirement from the Sepang race after his power unit failed with two laps to go, on the same weekend that the Sauber team, also using Ferrari units, suffered engine problems.

The team had made precautionary engines changes in the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix, leading to fears about its engine allocation for the rest of the season.

Ferrari said on Tuesday, however, that the engines have no issues and they will be used again in this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix.

And engine chief Luca Marmorini also revealed that the problems suffered by Alonso in Malaysia were probably related to the fact that he had to use it differently due to a problem with his gearbox.

"We have carried out an in-depth study into what happened and the two problems are not related to one another," Marmorini told Ferrari's website. "In Sepang, Fernando's engine suffered a structural failure, of a type we had never seen during the winter.

"We believe there was a role played by the unusual way in which the driver had to use the engine during the race, because of the gear selection problems he experienced right from the start. Additionally, there is no connection with the problem the Sauber team experienced on the engine front at the last race, which we believe was down to an issue with electronic sensors.

Source

navanman

McLaren has stopped work on an advanced suspension unit following the FIA's clarification that any system that regulates a car's ride height during parc ferme conditions is illegal.

The team's engineering director Paddy Lowe told a Vodafone McLaren phone-in that McLaren had been late to the table in coming up with a system that some other teams are suspected of having already implemented on their cars this year.

However, he confirmed that no further work would be carried out on the system and that last week's ruling does not affect the MP4-25s raced by world champion Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton.

"We were aware over the last few months of a different approach to it [the suspension system]; an approach which historically we hadn't thought to be the typical interpretation [of the regulations], and we were reacting to that," Lowe said.

"Now that the FIA has taken a fresh view of it and drawn a different line - and one we think is nearer the historical line - we are reacting to that too, so we've had to change some of the things we're doing.

"Basically, we had a system we were working on, and we've now suspended that."

He denied that any self-levelling suspension system had been used on this year's McLaren and said that the only changes that will be made to the car for this weekend's Chinese Grand Prix are a number of aerodynamic improvements.

Lowe said that he did not know if any other team had run a ride height control system, which is in breach of article 34.5 of the FIA international sporting code, this year.

"We absolutely don't know who has been doing what and whether anyone has been racing anything in the nature of ride height control systems," he added.

"We got the feeling that others were further advanced in development. I haven't got a clue as to whether anyone else has a system on their cars though."

Source

Very interesting development, wonder what they had in mind. Lets see how they go this weekend then or how RBR perform in qualifying trim.

h3ro

Shame about subzero, but we'll pick up the slack.

Shanghai weather update: Mixed conditions expected

With the season having featured an exciting mix of wet and dry race tracks so far, sunny interviews are envisaged for Practice sessions 1 and 2 on Friday although several bursts of rain are also expected to hit the Shanghai International Circuit before the weekend, leaving predictions very much open for qualifying and the race itself.

More wet races incoming. :D

Leunam

So is there no way to check what his last post was and if he got upset at something? Shame he decided to kill his posts.

navanman

The never ending race to get more downforce and grip means cars are back to 2004 lap times.

F1’s ever-tighter technical regulations haven’t stopped the cars getting even quicker in 2010.

This year’s cars are lapping on a par with the 2004 machines which set many of the lap records at the tracks on this year’s calendar.

That’s despite the cars of 2004 having much freer aerodynamic regulations, softer rubber because of the Bridgestone-Michelin tyre war, and two more cylinders in their engines.

This graph shows how lap times have changed over the past 14 years at two circuits whose configurations have remained largely the same: Albert Park in Australia and Sepang in Malaysia.

I’ve plotted the fastest time set by an F1 car at a practice session, qualifying or in the race in each of their visits since 1996

fastestlaps1996-2010.jpg

More....

FOTA consider more drastic cuts to downforce in 2011
The Formula One Teams’ Association is considering further restrictions on how much downforce F1 cars can generate as the 2010 cars are already producing almost as much downforce as they were in 2008.

The changes introduced last year at the urging of the Overtaking Working Group have not succeeding in reducing downforce levels.

FOTA is considering going beyond the banning of double diffusers in 2011 to cut downforce further in an effort to encourage more overtaking in F1.

Speaking during the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Phone-In the team’s engineering director Paddy Lowe explained why overtaking has become even more difficult for F1 drivers in 2010:

I think things are getting worse in terms of how close are we to getting to the intentions of the Overtaking Working Group.

Principally, that’s because the cars are generating much more downforce under the floors than was ever envisaged, and that’s driven by the opportunity you get with the double diffuser interpretation.

One of the intentions with the OWG package was the downforce generated from the floor should be much lower, and this helps overtaking for two reasons.

One, the cars have less downforce altogether, and there is a direct correlations between the amount of downforce cars have and the weight of the problem. That’s obvious because you lose downforce in the wake of another car, and if you have less to start with you lose less.

The second one is to do with where the downforce is generated, and generating it from the floor is a bad characteristic because of the wake it generates.

So we’ve gone in the wrong direction. Downforce in these cars is approaching where it was in 2008.
Paddy Lowe

Not everyone agrees with Lowe’s analysis – Red Bull designer Adrian Newey claimed in January that banning double diffusers won’t make it easier for cars to overtake.

However the teams have already agreed to ban double diffusers in 2011 – and may go further:

We’ve agreed to ban double diffusers next year and also reduce the height of the diffuser, both of which will significantly reduce floor downforce.

That’s correct for the same two reasons: less downforce is better and less floor downforce is better for following cars and therefore overtaking.

We are looking at whether that is sufficient, and that’s an ongoing discussion as to whether even more should be planned for next year. But I think what we’ve already agreed are very big steps and absolutely correct for what we’ve learned from the OWG.

More...

navanman

mrklaw said:
I'm a bit worried about him. Does anybody know him off-forum?

Afraid not. Its more than a little worrying alright. I found his Youtube account based on DrM post and sent him a PM. Hope to hear something back soon.

blanky

Would cutting down downforce really work? The hot air that causes so much trouble is produced by the engine and not aerodynamics. Maybe they should work more on the wheels so going on the dirtier parts of the track isn't a big problem.

S. L.

blanky said:
Would cutting down downforce really work? The hot air that causes so much trouble is produced by the engine and not aerodynamics. Maybe they should work more on the wheels so going on the dirtier parts of the track isn't a big problem.
eh, i think only temporarily. there will be always ways to find downforce, especially with new cfd tech.
i also think making the tires harder/shittier or finding ways to allow good performance outside of the ideal line will be way more effective

navanman

OK, I got in touch with subzero yesterday and he asked me to post this message to everyone.

Basically, I've got a really busy period coming up in my life, I'm close to competing the Law Practice Course, and I've secured a training contract, pending the exams coming up. Meaning that I'm just two years away from becoming a fully qualified Solicitor. I just can't commit as much time, if any, to those two threads and GAF and frankly the internet in general.

I edited most of my posts in the two threads, because, well.., I'm just covering my back really, as I posted a lot of copyrighted material and considering the area of law I'm going to be involved in ( Intellectual Property Law), I'm not willing to take any chances. I don't want any of this coming back in the future to bite me in the ass. I just decided to edit my posts indiscriminately rather than being selective, I was like an automation going through the threads, and kind of got carried away. I do regret deleting the OP of the motorsport thread and I'm willing to re-host all of the images if the text can be recovered, so that the OP can be restored.

The final post in the motorsport thread was just a mistake, I was quite tired by then and posted a new reply, rather than editing. Don't read anything into it.

I was actually planning to come back especially for the World Cup and of course the Le Mans 24 Hours, in June, I didn't realise that I'd be permabanned.
So, can you ask the mods to unban me? My account hasn't been hacked or anything silly like that. I would like to come back without having to re-register.

So, to repeat, I'm absolutely fine, but I'm just moving on to another hopefully successful, albeit very busy period of my life. I'm sorry if I caused any alarm amongst you guys, that certainly wasn't my intention. I'm actually quite overwhelmed at the response, I didn't really think anyone would miss me, so thank you to all those who showed concern.

If I'm unbanned, then I'll see you guys in a few months, if not, then whenever my new account is approved.

subzero tips Hamilton to win the race this weekend and Force India for a poduim.

Here's hoping he can be unbanned at some point!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Good to hear from Subzero. I wish him good luck with exams and i hope that he will be unbanned soon :)

Kubica 'much happier' at Renault

Robert Kubica says he is enjoying life far more battling for points-scoring positions with Renault, than he did when fighting it out for wins at BMW Sauber.

The Pole has been one of the surprises of the season, with an aggressive development programme from Renault having helped him deliver one podium finish and start putting pressure on the 'big four' teams.

And with the driver/team combination having hit it off so well, Kubica has said that the positive team spirit he has encountered at Enstone is a contributing factor to the success of his season so far.

"It's no secret that at times in past years I didn't feel as looked after as I would have liked," Kubica told Autosprint, in a clear reference to the troubles he faced at BMW.

"I think that [the] feeling around you, the faith of the people you work with, is important in any activity. Today I feel that team has confidence in me, they accommodate me, and this allows me not to feel the fatigue of a workload that is even bigger than in previous seasons. I enjoy myself more, even though the car is not yet what we dream to have."

Kubica acknowledges that Renault has been lucky to deliver such good results so far this year because of trouble that rival outfits have faced - but he thinks clever driving has also played a part.

"This is a season where drivers are required to manage the race, not just push the way it was until the end of 2009, when races were practically three stints at qualifying pace," he said.

"You only need to look at in-car footage to see how I've driven in these first races: I look dim. In my opinion stopping twice isn't worth it, and you must accept the fact that a long stint on hard tyres is absolutely necessary. I've had to adapt: avoiding over-stressing the tyres will be the key during the 2010 championship.

"Yes, we've had some luck both at Melbourne and at Sepang. The two starts were decisive, and we made up for the problem we still have with qualifying. But we can't always count on our rivals' problems. Race after race, I count on being able to slot in a position in qualifying that I can maintain during the race. But we know that, besides chasing the four top teams, we must beware of Force India, especially in qualifying."
Source

Goldrusher

I edited most of my posts in the two threads, because, well.., I'm just covering my back really, as I posted a lot of copyrighted material and considering the area of law I'm going to be involved in ( Intellectual Property Law), I'm not willing to take any chances. I don't want any of this coming back in the future to bite me in the ass. I just decided to edit my posts indiscriminately rather than being selective, I was like an automation going through the threads, and kind of got carried away.
Hiding evidence, eh ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom