• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Formula One 2010 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
F1 race manager has been updated. I'm still in the same position but have an extra 7 mil to play with.

S. L.

surprisingly i gained a place. thought my setup wasn't all that hot

ranking_malaysiapba4.png

Deadman

Lame if i had stuck with my original Sutil team id now be second instead of 4th.

At least the race being good makes up for that.

ElyrionX

kikanny said:
So you knew when Kimi gave a shit and when he didn't give a shit? Seriously, Kimi fans are some of the worst (not you specifically).

Hey, I'm a Ferrari fan and admittedly I've never been a big fan of Massa. But the guy has so many detractors for a reason, really. No matter how you look at it, he's not a top-tier driver. People like him (or want to like him) simply because he tries so hard. But just look at how he struggled against Buemi today. He didn't even try to pull off a single overtaking maneuver, FFS.

Massa

ElyrionX said:
Hey, I'm a Ferrari fan and admittedly I've never been a big fan of Massa. But the guy has so many detractors for a reason, really.

He doesn't actually, that's in your head.

S. L. said:
surprisingly i gained a place. thought my setup wasn't all that hot

ranking_malaysiapba4.png
Heh, I'm in same position as last time. Did better than expected.

Edit: looking at the stats, Williams was actually one of the better picks for chassis this race. Think I'll stick with them for next time.

AcridMeat

Banned
Gained 10 spots and now 46th. Slowly making my way up despite missing Bahrain. Still bit me in the ass as I would have taken Sutil with Total, but oh well. :D

I missed the race until the last lap last night, will need to download it. Oh and that gif of Petrov following Hamilton is brilliant.

edit: I just noticed I scored more points than everyone except the top 4 and 11th, I am very happy now. :D

When is the next race?

subzero9285 said:
Solidifying our lead at the top, great job yet again guys.
hi5.gif
all around. Great job everyone! For the 65 members still active, handshakes all-around. Awesome!

I took a chance with Renault (chassis), hoping Petrov would find his legs...and he crushed me under the weight of his falling. At least Kubica was as great as he is. Trulli, I thought could be a risk that paid-off (after spending for the Renault chassis) and nope. Should have stayed with Sutil and the Force India chassis.

But kudos to Lewis and Fernando. Lewis doesn't crumple. Amazing driver. And up until the engine/tranny let out, Fernando was driving stunningly to get the crippled Ferrari around as well as he did. Alguersuari. Give him a few years and a good car, could do great things in the future. Hat-tip to Massa, sad-face for Schumi. Vettel and Rosberg, brilliant. Webber remains my favorite interviewee, so good-on to him for second.

S. L.

Aegus said:
The irony of a gaming/geek site leading an online sports league is not lost upon me.:lol
it's a game after all :p
plus there is a good amount of tech savvy people here who actually do some calculations instead of picking their team from gut feeling

Pimpwerx

I'm #2 in the fantasy league, but just barely. Good job dswii60 on being #1 overall. Also NeoGAF showing its expertise by widening our lead. Two more weeks. I hope the time is right for a Hammy win. PEACE.

AcridMeat

Banned
subzero9285 said:
In two weeks' time.

Oh okay good, thanks. I was worried it might have been a three week break.

I hope Hamilton stops getting screwed in qualifying, would be nice for him to battle with Vettel at the front.

After last week being so exciting this week was simply dull. I wish it rained and we got a little bit more action.

Gah, I only just got back into F1 this season and now I remember why I stopped. I love it when it's good, hate it when it's uneventful.

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
After last week being so exciting this week was simply dull. I wish it rained and we got a little bit more action.

Gah, I only just got back into F1 this season and now I remember why I stopped. I love it when it's good, hate it when it's uneventful.

You don't say.

I was a bit unfortunate, I only got back into F1 last season after seeing stuff as a little kid in the 90s. So I basically missed Michael being awesome and the great V10 cars. That's why they need to improve overtaking again damn it, I feel like I'm being jipped.

Well I know lots of people appreciate the driving etc even when it's not eventful, so I don't think that comment was as foolish as you made it sound. I've been in quite a few discussions with F1 fans who couldn't care less about overtaking and drama and think it's stupid that I do.

AcridMeat

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Well I know lots of people appreciate the driving etc even when it's not eventful, so I don't think that comment was as foolish as you made it sound. I've been in quite a few discussions with F1 fans who couldn't care less about overtaking and drama and think it's stupid that I do.

I didn't mean for it to have a serious undertone, I was more poking fun. I just think that part of the driving appreciation is the fact that people battle with one another, fighting for position and such. If they don't provide the means for drivers to use their appreciable skill and overtake, then they're stuck and that's where the boring factor comes in. That is what I'd argue to those people anyhow. One doesn't get to appreciate their driving skill unless they can see it, at least that's how it is for me.

As for that diffuser, it looks like a squid monster. :lol

subzero9285 said:
Back to single deck diffusers next season, thankfully.

What a stupid idea to keep them legal for this year. No wonder these cars can even break lap records from 2004 cars (the fastest F1 cars ever).
This should also be a big safety concern imo. When you see how fast Vettel drove around that Australia track on his fastest qualifying lap. If something breaks in one of the fast corners in such a car then good night sweet prince.

Maybe its just me but i got an impression that F1 has this arrogant attitude again that we had before the deadly 1994 accidents where everybody felt super safe and bad accidents were a long forgotten thing of the past.

subzero9285 said:
In two weeks' time.

^ I'll never look at Charlie Brown the same way again. ^
lol.

Only three races in, and I think we're all doing well. This is my first fantasy league, and so far it's great fun. Learning how it all works, getting a strategy in place, learning when to be risky or not, gaining competence with how F1racemanager computes the "odds"...yeah, great fun. I'll be most happy if we are able to claim the sub-league top spot. If I can help get 6 of you guys get those caps, that'd be great.

Forget where I read it, but seems Alonso lost his clutch on the processional lap. He drove the whole of the race by forcing gears with the throttle. That's what we were apparently hearing when tv coverage went to the onboard camera feed. His tranny was operating without clutch. Remarkable drive, really. Probably a mite bit easier to shift clutchlessly in a Honda Civic than an F1 racer :lol

And RBR had better watch out for McLaren. Ferrari definitely, but McLaren (and especially Lewis) are showing that they are masters at improving in competition; just as they displayed during the last half of the previous season. McLaren just needs to crack qualifying.

Pimpwerx

subzero9285 said:
Should of been banned last season really, but the FIA failed to heed the advice of the Overtaking Working Group, hence we find ourselves in this situation.
Precisely. The FIA pretty much ruled against the FOTA, which protested (rightfully so) that the double-difusers were against the spirit of the rule. IMO, it was backroom conversations Max and co had that allowed it so an underdog like Brawn could win. Without it, RBR should have won a WCC and WDC. PEACE.

Mosley leaving was like the clouds parting for sunshine. A good day. What an inconsistent prick, not to mention his repugnant extracurricular activities.

Chris R

Road said:
Disagree.

Up until the very end we had Alonso and Button not knowing what would happen (kinda haha), a placement that could keep Alonso atop the championship. That's hardly the final third, let alone boring. Maybe if you were rooting for Schumacher or something, I guess.

I don't know about you, but I'd kinda enjoy it if there were more than two cars on the track at any given time fighting for position. Had Alonso's engine or whatever given up the ghost earlier in the race we would have been watching Hulkenburg "battle" it out with the two STR cars +- two seconds of him or watch Hamilton follow 1 second behind the Force India.

I'll watch this season, because I'll admit it, I do enjoy almost every second of F1, just because of how much work/technology/skill goes into every race, and there are great passes and thrilling moments, as well as boasting some of the best tracks in the world (Spa/Monza/ect) I'm just saying that it would be nice if there was more overtaking or something, because unless there is weather, most teams will be on a one stop strategy and the cars just don't have the tires to make up the ground and pass towards the end of the race.

TylerD

I am on the side of the fence that would like to see more overtaking but it doesn't kill me or make me hate F1 in the slightest bit. What appeals to me about F1 and all Motorsport mostly is the technology, speed, and my respect for the pilot's skills and their mastery over the machinery. The team aspect of doing everything in their power to get that vehicle to P1 and the finish before everybody else is powerful stuff as well.

StoOgE said:
How can you not like Vettel?

He's like a fucking kid in a candy store.

I especially liked his heel click.

operon

Enjoyed the race today, moved up to 16th now in the fantasy F1 going to start getting harder to decide who to buy etc and and as for the bets the bad weather ruined mine.

As for hamilton being warned, it might be in the rules but isn't that what racing is supposed to be about or are they happy with moving processions of cars.

And as much as I love massa he needs to up his game big time holding back alonso not good for the team. force india and renault doing well, and red bull will do well if they can keep the cars going though I don't believe all this hype that they are much faster than ferrari and mclaren, only for their stupidity things surely would have been different at the front

A pretty decent race I must say. Once again Hamilton was the star of the show and single handedly made the race enjoyable. With regards to the warning he got, I can kind of see where the stewards were coming from but my view of it was that he was doing it in the middle of the straight, trying to break the slipstream, rather than weaving about in the braking zone.

As long as the Red Bulls survived the race, they were never going to lose. In the same vein, as long as Vettel had a clean race, he was always going to get past Webber. He's just a better driver, simple as that.

I can see Red Bull winning the next couple of races now. The other teams are alright but it will take them a while to catch up. I would expect Vettel to be about 20points clear by the time the others start to reign him in. I'm still hopeful of a tight end to the season though as Alonso and the Mclarens catch up.

AcridMeat

Banned
Just finished watching, enjoyable race actually, despite the Red Bull dominance. Nice to see Mercedes get their podium and Kubica get another strong performance out of his Renault.

With the way Hamilton is driving I really want to see him square off with Vettel on the front row. Having Alonso up there would be interesting as well.

Pleased with the race despite the lack of rain, bring on China.

Dead Man

Amazing rally pictures in the other thread, and great F1 pics here, thanks. LOL, down 5 places on Racemanager, I suck at this! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom