• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '15 PS4 League Thread: We Know DOTA

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Dang was unaware this was being streamed, I feel I was very samey on both O and D. Haven't really had much time to dive into the playbooks especially on D, I like to be a little more exotic than just constantly calling cover 3.

Either way, it was a pretty intense game. CB couldn't really get going on O but the turnovers I committed kept him in it. I thought I was going to be able to run away with it when I got the FG to end the half and the ball back since I was moving the ball well. I kept looking for a post play with my TE and each time CB hit me. I should have shortened the route with the smart routes.

As always against CB, it came down to the last possession. It honestly doesn't even matter what we do for the first three and a half quarters, it's always the same situation.

BigAT

Maybe I'm getting older, obviously this site is bigger, but there just seems to be nothing but miserable motherfuckers on this site.

There's a reason my GAF bookmark goes straight to my subscriptions now, I can't really read gaming or OT anymore. Far too many times I would be going through a topic and just be unable to comprehend how some people operate as human beings.

are people wanting manual catching in this game? is that what i'm reading? or is it just trouble makers stirring up problems for ol fmt!

what does the league public at large think about that?

Trasher

you will ravage the league with golden tate doe

3hJ23Hk.gif

I personally prefer no manual catching BUT if somebody switches to a DB while the ball is in flight (instead of having controlled that player the entire time), I think the offensive player should be allowed to fight for it too.

LJ11

I personally prefer no manual catching BUT if somebody switches to a DB while the ball is in flight (instead of having controlled that player the entire time), I think the offensive player should be allowed to fight for it too.

I like the idea of this.

that opens the door for some issues. "well i THOUGHT you switched to the DB! my bad!"

but i'm not necessarily against it

2 games left:

Lions/Vikings
Patriots/Bills

what did you guys think of all-pro? did you like it better than all-madden? worse? the same? Scores to be up a bit. didn't really glance at the yardage but i suspect that would be up too

Mrbob

GG Story. Glad my defense stepped up because my offense didn't do much all game long.

what did you guys think of all-pro? did you like it better than all-madden? worse? the same? Scores to be up a bit. didn't really glance at the yardage but i suspect that would be up too

I didn't notice much difference.

Ferny

Gg Ferny! Vick is almost as slippery as Peyton.

Haha yeah he is quite the trickster at times.

Yes for manual catching. I find it so frustrating that on offense you basically have to hope the CPU does it's job and goes up for the ball. Going for long throws downfield are more often than not picks. Will Megatron and receivers like that dominate? Sure, but that happens in regular games as well.

Maybe Phee's suggestion would fulfill both sides. It wouldn't be all the time, but when the defender switches, you can switch as well and keep it on a somewhat even playing field.

Smokey

Haha yeah he is quite the trickster at times.

Yes for manual catching. I find it so frustrating that on offense you basically have to hope the CPU does it's job and goes up for the ball. Going for long throws downfield are more often than not picks. Will Megatron and receivers like that dominate? Sure, but that happens in regular games as well.

Maybe Phee's suggestion would fulfill both sides. It wouldn't be all the time, but when the defender switches, you can switch as well and keep it on a somewhat even playing field.

Defender still has advantage. You can wait a really long time before switching and by that time the other person may not react as quickly.

The easiest solution is to just let both sides have the opportunity to use it. Ever since ballhawk has been introduced, in our league the WR has been at a huge disadvantage. You basically have to hope the CPU decides not to play on the DBs attributes on that throw.

Defender still has advantage. You can wait a really long time before switching and by that time the other person may not react as quickly.

The easiest solution is to just let both sides have the opportunity to use it. Ever since ballhawk has been introduced, in our league the WR has been at a huge disadvantage. You basically have to hope the CPU decides not to play on the DBs attributes on that throw.

the major issue i have isn't that the offensive player has a fighting chance, it's that you can throw up percy harvin vs. whatever CB/double coverage you want and with manual catching he is going to come down with the ball more often than not. percy harvin. play the seachickens against a random and see how frustrating it becomes to have him covered tight with a safety over the top but it rarely matters

Greg

I could probably throw a deep ball to Megatron covered in man by Jarrett Bush and it would be picked off by 'manual' control 9/10 times - the frustration works both ways

my issue is more with just your average routes (although I know 'average' will be a gray area), but the defensive AI responds at a level that assumes you'll have full control over your offensive players to succeed

it's the equivalent of picking a running play and only being able to control your back at the exact angle the play arrow is drawn up

McNei1y

I didn't notice much of a difference between all pro and all madden but then again I wasn't looking for any differences because I forgot about the switch actually.

As for manual catching I don't care what we do. I've actually rarely used it since I joined this league some years back so I don't even know how it works but I could start to learn.

I could probably throw a deep ball to Megatron covered in man by Jarrett Bush and it would be picked off by 'manual' control 9/10 times - the frustration works both ways

my issue is more with just your average routes (although I know 'average' will be a gray area), but the defensive AI responds at a level that assumes you'll have full control over your offensive players to succeed

it's the equivalent of picking a running play and only being able to control your back at the exact angle the play arrow is drawn up

But there is no equivalent in the run game to Percy harvin jet packing in triple coverage. Me controlling gore on a pitch won't magically get me out of a 3 man gang tackle.

I get that there are other routes and at times it's not fair to the offense but I think the alternative (say losing a playoff game on a Hail Mary to Randall Cobb even though there are multiple defenders there) is worse

Greg

But there is no equivalent in the run game to Percy harvin jet packing in triple coverage. Me controlling gore on a pitch won't magically get me out of a 3 man gang tackle.

I get that there are other routes and at times it's not fair to the offense but I think the alternative (say losing a playoff game on a Hail Mary to Randall Cobb even though there are multiple defenders there) is worse
the defense has its share of bullshit moments too though, and wasn't offensive production the reason we even tried all-pro
(I prefer all-madden anyways)
?

you can call pretty aggressively on D when some of the isolated match-ups aren't a huge threat, and that leads to more picks and dinking and dunking

I don't know if manual catch is the answer, but those are my thoughts

Smokey

In what way does it make sense to let a player control a DB and fight for position for a pick (featuring Ball Hawk), but the player on offense can essentially take his hands of the controller and wait for the outcome. How in anyway is that an equal opportunity to determine the outcome of a play.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I have much less interest in the game because progression kind of sucks. You don't earn enough XP to even invest the time into the game prep bull crap. In previous years through practices and hitting goals through normal playstyle (like rushing for 150+ yards helping your OL) you could start with a shit team and over the course of a season have a less shitty team. Now you have to get lucky with FA and the draft. You can't even really develop your rookies tbh. Takes a lot of enjoyment out of it for me.

In what way does it make sense to let a player control a DB and fight for position for a pick (featuring Ball Hawk), but the player on offense can essentially take his hands of the controller and wait for the outcome. How in anyway is that an equal opportunity to determine the outcome of a play.

My main beef is that you can literally run in a circle with the ball in the air if you control the WR and the defender gets completely turned around because they are looking for the receiver and not the ball. Would never happen IRL on both ends.

I'm kind of with FMT in the sense that it'd be a little dangerous to let the floodgates open. Yeah the defensive player has an advantage but as many others have pointed out the offensive player can gain a significant one too. And this will lead to more bitching.

I don't even have players that can win jump balls on this current team, but I've got other teams with players where I've seen them grab balls in the air (against a CPU defender) so I don't think it's impossible. But against a human I see how it's shitty. But we put up with it for years and I still see deep balls get completed plenty. I've learned to avoid the throw unless I can lead the receiver ahead of any defender so that a pick is out of reach (And I still don't learn!)

Smokey

Well wouldn't the fair solution to this be to not allow manual control of a DB unless you are playing the DB manually in the first place? Then when the ball is in the air both players can put the controller down and play the attribute game?

LJ11

I can't get over how stupid that FFXV sebring convertible is.

It's hilarious actually, looks ridiculous.

I have much less interest in the game because progression kind of sucks. You don't earn enough XP to even invest the time into the game prep bull crap. In previous years through practices and hitting goals through normal playstyle (like rushing for 150+ yards helping your OL) you could start with a shit team and over the course of a season have a less shitty team. Now you have to get lucky with FA and the draft. You can't even really develop your rookies tbh. Takes a lot of enjoyment out of it for me.

My main beef is that you can literally run in a circle with the ball in the air if you control the WR and the defender gets completely turned around because they are looking for the receiver and not the ball. Would never happen IRL on both ends.

I haven't been hitting my goals since my O is awful, so I thought it was just me being shit. The training/prep is fucking crap though.

I'm kind of with FMT in the sense that it'd be a little dangerous to let the floodgates open. Yeah the defensive player has an advantage but as many others have pointed out the offensive player can gain a significant one too. And this will lead to more bitching.

I don't even have players that can win jump balls on this current team, but I've got other teams with players where I've seen them grab balls in the air (against a CPU defender) so I don't think it's impossible. But against a human I see how it's shitty. But we put up with it for years and I still see deep balls get completed plenty. I've learned to avoid the throw unless I can lead the receiver ahead of any defender so that a pick is out of reach (And I still don't learn!)

I was thinking about the proposal you made last night, and even when you threw it out there were problems with it, but the more I thought about it the less I liked it. Kept thinking about the int I threw to FMT. If I controlled Tavon I think I would have made the catch, but it was such a bang bang play, no way I would have clicked on in time because I would have to waited for FMT to click on first.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, the "if the defense moves first then the offense can" is just not a workable solution. It's effectively the same as removing the restriction altogether.

Well wouldn't the fair solution to this be to not allow manual control of a DB unless you are playing the DB manually in the first place? Then when the ball is in the air both players can put the controller down and play the attribute game?

Has the game gotten to the point where defenders and wide outs are treated the same, or does it still give a ludicrously huge advantage to the offense (which is why this rule exists in the first place).

I kind of thought half the point of the rule was to stop the incessant go routes and 50 yard bombs that make playing randoms completely unenjoyable.

I think Jordy will do ok in this new fuck it and chuck it world though so whatever!

eznark

Banned
I would ask that if we allow manual catching we also make the games 6 minutes. I have no desire to play 90 minute games.

Smokey

Has the game gotten to the point where defenders and wide outs are treated the same, or does it still give a ludicrously huge advantage to the offense (which is why this rule exists in the first place).

I kind of thought half the point of the rule was to stop the incessant go routes and 50 yard bombs that make playing randoms completely unenjoyable.

I think Jordy will do ok in this new fuck it and chuck it world though so whatever!

This year's version I'd say defense has more of an advantage. I've literally seen DBs teleport to make an interception. Like frames were missed or something .

It's a tricky issue and I don't expect anything to change. I just don't get why manual DB has still been allowed in this Ball Hawk era and the offensive player is forced to watch the fuckery.

brentech

I think through the 4 or 5 games the Browns have had, I had 2 plays on offense that I freaked out and switched to the WR. I didn't catch the ball either time, but the WR got his hands up to knock the ball away.

But yea, on really deep, lofted balls, someone could take WR control early, and that gives a huge advantage over a late switch by defense using ballhawk. The receiver can make a twitch move to either side when supposed to run a steak and the defender will follow. Almost always results in a catch.
I like the idea of more routes being more reliable to use, but I just don't think straight user catching is the answer.

I don't like any of the solutions, lol, switching to WR after the defense switches is going to be complaint ridden and hard to judge.
Unless there is a better solution to come, I say no.

Maybe no defender switching while the ball is in the air.

In my perfect world people can't switch to corners when the ball is mid-flight, but this would be difficult to monitor because I'm sure a lot of people are really used to it (I've stopped doing it cause I fuck myself over more often than not)

If somebody wants to control the corner (or really, any position besides DL) from the outset because they think they can predict or jump a route, I'm cool with that. It's just the mid-air switching that I'm not a fan of. Maybe we can create a trust system!

Smokey

Maybe no defender switching while the ball is in the air.

This is what I suggested. Unless you have control of the back before the play starts and you are playing the postion manually all the way through. This would give incentive to make people learn how to play safety while also bringing risk. If you get burned its your fault.

It's easy to monitor when a switch happens. I think a circle appears under the player that is manually controlled.

Top Bottom