• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '25 PS4 CCM Thread: Meet the new gen, same as the old gen

eznark

Banned
Asus Sabertooth X79
Core i7 4820k
GTX 780ti
4x4GB ram (corsair vengeance I guess)
500gb 840 Evo SSD

Seem like good bones? Also thinking about going with a water cooler (corsair h80i)

Smokey

Asus Sabertooth X79
Core i7 4820k
GTX 780ti
4x4GB ram (corsair vengeance I guess)
500gb 840 Evo SSD

Seem like good bones? Also thinking about going with a water cooler (corsair h80i)

Nice parts. X79 will be getting replaced in q3 though with the next big leap in pc parts. Haswell-e will be launching (8 cores / 16 threads) along with DDR4. IMO the only reason to go x79 is if you're going with the 6 core. Otherwise you could just go with the standard haswell platform. Just my opinion, but if you go with what you got those are nice pieces. i know you need something now though because of your PC dying. Just putting it out there.

As far as coolers I agree with closed water loop cooling. I have the H80i and it's great. They don't take up your whole case and when you need to work on your PC they don't get in the way.

Have you factored in a gsync monitor, or sticking with what you have?

eznark

Banned
Well, basically my computer was unfixable according to Microcenter (I had to have it looked at by an "expert") and they priced the work to replace it at $2200. So, I am basically getting a free $2200 computer. I'll still potentially upgrade later since I'm not paying for this one so I'm not concerned with what's coming down the pike just yet. Just want to get the best I can right now.

I'll buy myself a monitor shortly. Not going to try to scam insurance out of one. I'm not Sanjuro.

brentech

Yeah, that's a good setup.
I just got that ASUS VG248 myself. Love it, but no g-sync for me.

For some reason, I just plugged my iPhone 5S into my system to charge and got a blue screen in Windows. That was....odd

And work officially got started on my basement today! They've got about 1/6 of the framing done since I got back home. Can't wait to have that space livable.

Smokey

Well, basically my computer was unfixable according to Microcenter (I had to have it looked at by an "expert") and they priced the work to replace it at $2200. So, I am basically getting a free $2200 computer. I'll still potentially upgrade later since I'm not paying for this one so I'm not concerned with what's coming down the pike just yet. Just want to get the best I can right now.

I'll buy myself a monitor shortly. Not going to try to scam insurance out of one. I'm not Sanjuro.

In that case get the 4930k instead ( six core). Dunno how that effects your $2200. You could reduce the GPU to a standard 780 if it goes over. With a six core and a beefy GPU you're set for years. That would be a well balanced machine with no bottlenecks.

I'm still on 2600k @ 4.7ghz with no issues.

eznark

Banned
I had the same discussion with people when I did the last build and I do zero video editing or anything else that strikes me as taking advantage of the additional threads. Seems like gaming wise it makes more sense to go with the 4820 and get a 780 TI?

Smokey

I had the same discussion with people when I did the last build and I do zero video editing or anything else that strikes me as taking advantage of the additional threads. Seems like gaming wise it makes more sense to go with the 4820 and get a 780 TI?

That's true but going forward with true next gen games you'll start having games take more advantage of the threads. Frostbite 3 for example loves the extra threads and that's an engine at the start of the gen.

And really the only advantage x79 has over the haswell platform is more pcie lanes for things like multiple GPUs. The x79 platform in general is geared towards more workstation type work. You're also missing new features in the z87 platform. X79 is pretty outdated feature wise on the mobo side, so if it's strictly gaming you might want to look at 4770K and z87.

you'll be fine with what you listed, just throwing more info to let it marinate.

eznark

Banned
Yeah, I appreciate it. I really expected them to be able to fix it without issue so I didn't do any research. What's a good z87 board for around $300?

Also to be clear this is basically just the "Performance" build from the back of the latest MaximumPC.

Smokey

Yeah, I appreciate it. I really expected them to be able to fix it without issue so I didn't do any research. What's a good z87 board for around $300?

Also to be clear this is basically just the "Performance" build from the back of the latest MaximumPC.

Take a look at the I need a pc thread 2014 OP for the mobo. I'm not as caught up on individual boards because I haven't had the need to upgrade. $300 should get you something nice on z87. I'm partial to ASUS myself, and at that price point you might be able to slide into one of their Republic of Gamers boards which are really good.

Smokey

So how about this plus a 4770k?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/416192/Z87_MPOWER_MAX_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

The other issue is I have to use microcenter and apparently they don't have the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC which is what the pc build thread seems to recommend.

Yep that board is full of features. Built in headphone amp, killer NIC, and lots of tweaks available for over clocking.

I've never used MSI for motherboards, but I was considering their MPower line when I was thinking of upgrading.

Nothing but good things from me about the h80i too. I've used the h60,h80i,and h100 and I have liked the 80 the best. i is for the corsair link software where you can control fan speed and profiles through your desktop. Good stuff.

I can't decide if that was the most pathetic raid I ever watched. I'm 45 minutes in and still no action. lol Hopefully it gets good. Rust looks kinda fun.

haha

it started so well then quickly crumbled as we couldn't get thru the last doors/wall :(

Rust is awesome and you should get it!

Smokey

What about this one? I was told spending more than $200 is dick waving and I do enough of that in Rust!

http://www.microcenter.com/product/414773/GA-Z87X-UD4H_Socket_LGA_1150_ATX_Intel_Motherboard

Between those two the MPower. You get a shit load of features on that board. And you're only dick waving when you go into a post your pc thread and let people know lol.

There's two areas I don't mind "overspending" on: That's Power Supply and motherboard. Those two are your PC. If one of those goes down (not including a lightning bolt of warning from God) its a wrap, so personally I'm ok with spending more there for higher quality parts, features, etc.

eznark

Banned
Cool, thanks. I'm kind of leaning to the gigabyte just because I have always really liked their boards but if there ever was a time to branch out it's with free money.

RIP eznark's awesome avvy. :(

Brewers season will be over by May and it will return.

Somnia

I thought for sure we would have had it with the other C4 Somnia found.

I have a full rad suit now, I can run around in the rad zones forever. Will do some runs tonight and stock up on supplies.

I also got 4 shotguns, 3 P250's and a ton of ammo on that raid. Now I just need wood to finish my house + build some spike walls to put by my windows to stop people from jumping in and I'll be set.

TheCrow

I thought for sure we would have had it with the other C4 Somnia found.

We all did. :(

I have a full rad suit now, I can run around in the rad zones forever. Will do some runs tonight and stock up on supplies.

I also got 4 shotguns, 3 P250's and a ton of ammo on that raid. Now I just need wood to finish my house + build some spike walls to put by my windows to stop people from jumping in and I'll be set.

Yeah, i picked up some leather gear, another shotgun and bolt action. Go on a ton of runs because we'll need a lot more c4 for another raid.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
There is room for both in this world!

You guys playing rust allows me to play these other games that i dont get time to touch.

Guys if you're going to quit the league let me know or at least leave the league from within the game so your opponent isn't stuck waiting for me to auto pilot you

And by guys I mean ramirez

Sokantish

When did you ever ask me to play, you jerk! I just lost to the AI because I super simmed the whole thing except for the first quarter. Thanks a lot, Smokey!

Top Bottom