• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Madden '25 PS4 CCM Thread: Meet the new gen, same as the old gen

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
I was all ready to play dota tonight, then got hit with a migraine out of no where. I'll be back to normal dota operating hours for Friday night!

Smokey

Yall know what's the best place to by phones?

I'm about to flip Verizon the bird and go to T-mobile, but I want to buy a phone and then use one of their prepaid plans.

I've always done the whole buy a phone new 2 year contract thing, so this is new.

eznark

Banned
I just meant it looked and played amazing on the new machine. So, so amazing playing it in ultra with butter smooth frame rate.

Smokey

I just meant it looked and played amazing on the new machine. So, so amazing playing it in ultra with butter smooth frame rate.

Congrats you are on your way to becoming a graphics whore

Let me know when you're ready to take the next step (in a few months) to 1440p or 4k I'm here for you

eznark

Banned
Well since I was planning on building a new PC in the Spring and now I have all the hard stuff out of the way...I was considering getting a 1440p monitor (doesn't seem like 4k are really ready yet) and maybe...another video card in the Spring instead? Dunno, we'll see. I figured it's been long enough since I tried the dual monitor thing and clearly I was doing it wrong that I may as well try again! Since this computer turned out so beefy I'll probably just keep it as my main and not build another one.

Smokey

Well since I was planning on building a new PC in the Spring and now I have all the hard stuff out of the way...I was considering getting a 1440p monitor (doesn't seem like 4k are really ready yet) and maybe...another video card in the Spring instead? Dunno, we'll see. I figured it's been long enough since I tried the dual monitor thing and clearly I was doing it wrong that I may as well try again! Since this computer turned out so beefy I'll probably just keep it as my main and not build another one.

. So you can try 4k without a 4k monitor aka downsampling. If you go to the PC screenshot 2014 thread, this is what they are doing. It's a feature of Nvidia cards and since you have a 780ti you have plenty of power to do it.

Basically you go into NV control panel, create a custom resolution(4k), press accept and wait for the magic. If it works you'll notice difference immediately on your desktop. This is a high level of the process but essentially what you are doing and another reason why displayport >DVI. In the situation above you would be capped at 30hz on DVI due to lack of bandwidth.

I can lead you down the rabbit hole :p

eznark

Banned
Cool, I'm going to try and find a displayport cord today. Hopefully Radioshack or Walmart? If not there is like nothing else in the town I am in today and I don't feel like running to Microcenter for the third time this week.

Doesn't higher than native resolution look like shit?

Smokey

Cool, I'm going to try and find a displayport cord today. Hopefully Radioshack or Walmart? If not there is like nothing else in the town I am in today and I don't feel like running to Microcenter for the third time this week.

Doesn't higher than native resolution look like shit?

In game? No. The text will be smaller since you are at a higher resolution than the native resolution, but that's about it. In desktop yeah. Everything will be smaller and blurry. But the in game Image Quality will be so good it might make you banderas.gif

In game you will most likely repeat Holy shit the entire time. I imagine so since you had that reaction to BF4 @ 1080p.

You'll of course take a performance hit.. then your mind will wander to a 2nd 780ti :p

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Yo. Saw your invite last night but I was at my Son's bball practice. I can play tonight around 10pm est if that's cool with you.

Fuck, I proceeded to go have a few drinks right after posting the above.

Are you around tonight? I am home at 5:30 and I don't intend on going anywhere tonight.

eznark

Banned
In game? No. The text will be smaller since you are at a higher resolution than the native resolution, but that's about it. In desktop yeah. Everything will be smaller and blurry. But the in game Image Quality will be so good it might make you banderas.gif

In game you will most likely repeat Holy shit the entire time. I imagine so since you had that reaction to BF4 @ 1080p.

You'll of course take a performance hit.. then your mind will wander to a 2nd 780ti :p

The holy shit was less about the graphics and more about the general overall performance and smoothness. I assume some of that is from the monitor's refresh rate? I don't know, I just like playing with the shit I don't care how or why it works!

Smokey

Yeah that was the 144hz. IMO its the second best thing you can do for your PC after a SSD and the most noticeable. Ideally you'd want to pull 144fps to match the refresh rate, but once you get in the 90+ range on these panels you'll really feel the difference. It's why a lot of people with these types of panels will lower the settings to get their fps as close as possible to 120/144Hz. Gsync is supposed to be even more responsive which is why people are so hype for it.

Then on the other side you have 4k and downsampling

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=509076

Your card literally has more GPU power than all next gen systems combined. That's not even taking into account your CPU which isn't even of worth comparison to the tablet POS in x1 and PS4. Indicative just how much they cheaped out on the next gen boxes and how wide the gap is between a high end PC and the consoles.

eznark

Banned
I don't think our team games fared any better than your solo queue. Well, maybe the first one. The second one was a dumpster fire.

That Viper could basically one hit kill me at like the 10 minute mark. It was nutso. Imagine if he had gone shadow blade! Our first big team fight when AT was like "holy fuck my bear just melted" ...that's when I knew. And then that poor, poor bear for the rest of the match.

Yeah that was the 144hz. IMO its the second best thing you can do for your PC after a SSD and the most noticeable. Ideally you'd want to pull 144fps to match the refresh rate, but once you get in the 90+ range on these panels you'll really feel the difference. It's why a lot of people with these types of panels will lower the settings to get their fps as close as possible to 120/144Hz. Gsync is supposed to be even more responsive which is why people are so hype for it.

Then on the other side you have 4k and downsampling

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=509076

You're card literally has more GPU power than all next gen systems combined. Indicative just how much they cheaped out on the next gen boxes and how wide the gap is between a high end PC and the consoles.

Oh yeah...I have a ps4

Yeah the other huge awesome thing I love about this build is the dedicated-for-games 500gb SSD. So nice to be able to dump stuff on there without too much worry.

Out of the Park Baseball boots in like 4 minutes instead of 10! AMAZING!!!

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

Are you around tonight? I am home at 5:30 and I don't intend on going anywhere tonight.

I get off work at 7pm, but I work from home so we might be able to play sometime before then. Just depends on how busy my day is. I'm going out tonight around 8 or 9. I'm sure we'll be able to fit it in somewhere. PM me when you are around your ps4

ps.. I'm super jealous of Ez's new system.

Smokey

I will now stop nerding out and go back to my home in the PC 2014 thread

Eznark if you ever want to take the red pill let me know!

eznark

Banned
I'm going to take a hard look about a week before Witcher 3 comes out. Until then, my spreadsheet baseball game looks great!

DietRob

I will now stop nerding out and go back to my home in the PC 2014 thread

Wait. One more before you go. Is there anyway to fix a RAM stick? I used to have 2 X 4GB Ballistix ram sticks. I had to change mobo's after a USB port fried on my asus p8z77. Once I got the new board in with both ram sticks in there it went to a fail to boot cycle. After going part by part I finally determined it was one of the ram sticks. Fixable or trashable?

brentech

Wait. One more before you go. Is there anyway to fix a RAM stick? I used to have 2 X 4GB Ballistix ram sticks. I had to change mobo's after a USB port fried on my asus p8z77. Once I got the new board in with both ram sticks in there it went to a fail to boot cycle. After going part by part I finally determined it was one of the ram sticks. Fixable or trashable?

you swapped slots and made sure it wasn't the ram slot that was the issue?
But yeah, I don't think there's a way to fix RAM. If there is, probably not worth the time at it's price.

DietRob

you swapped slots and made sure it wasn't the ram slot that was the issue?
But yeah, I don't think there's a way to fix RAM. If there is, probably not worth the time at it's price.

yea, after determining it was one of the sticks of ram i did swap them around. that didn't work either. Only thing that let it boot was taking that one stick of ram out completely.

alrighty i'll trash it. : /

I need to find some more ram. 4gb isn't good enough

brentech

I've been missing all the group starts by a bit it always seems. Probably be another month or 2 before I get a party rating.

Solo Q for life

brentech

you guys ever watch a dota 2 stream, see some chat in the game and hit enter to pull it back up to read it......then realize you're not in the game?

all the time >.<

DietRob

I get off work at 7pm, but I work from home so we might be able to play sometime before then. Just depends on how busy my day is. I'm going out tonight around 8 or 9. I'm sure we'll be able to fit it in somewhere. PM me when you are around your ps4

Welly I just found out I'm going to be playing in a pool tournament tonight and won't be home until late so I won't be able to play tonight.

Top Bottom