• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

jmizzal

my OKC girl is the worst texter ever but she is the coolest girl ever to hang with, been on 5 dates and seeing her again tonight.

She also reads my mind, once she came back to town she asked first to go do the boat ride before I can even say anything, and then last night before dinner she asked if I was gonna come over and watch a movie after dinner lol I was gonna ask anyways and she beat me too it. It was the first time I've been to her place.

Now I want the Assanova treatment (oh, well-- that sounds more involved than it might be). Considering that I've de-scoped my prospects down to one woman, who was silent this weekend, I suppose I need to start queueing in some alternatives. Anyway, this is my profile, and I'd like comments, since it's a work in progress.

Quote to reveal.

If your profile is a work in progress, than mine might as well be filled with emotes and leet speak (remember the Harry Potter parody when the 7th book came out? It didn't age well).

I think if you're getting unsolicited messages from women you're doing something right. Dry spells will happen though.

Also, Diaboli's profile is restricted to logged-in users (so he sees you creeping). Gooch's is public.

huxley00

On a side note, a little statistic from my POF account: I have been on POF for about a week and a half now and 75 women have said that they want to meet me. That is roughly 7-8 women per day. Of course, at least half of those women aren't physically attractive to me.

As for my Match account: Like I said, I had about a 40 percent response rate, however, that stat dropped my last day or two on there, due to my account about to expire, and messaging women that I wouldn't normally message. That 40 percent number isn't from sending out random messages. It is from carefully choosing who to message. In order for me to message a woman, she either has to say she is looking for men that fit my physical description, or she has to have a well-written profile that gives me some material to message her about. I almost never message women with blank or very short profiles unless they show interest first.
Assanova, you're essentially talking to a bunch of starving people about how you're throwing day old bread in the trash :p

friday

Assanova, you're essentially talking to a bunch of starving people about how you're throwing day old bread in the trash :p

I get where he is coming from. You have to go into any dating situation with the mindset of "Do I like her/him", not "I hope she/he likes me".

Also, this online dating thing takes some effort on the front end, but once you get it going and put in the time everyday it starts to build momentum.

Palpable

Getting frustrated with Tinder. It is bugging out hardcore. I've deleted the app, reinstalled, logged out/in, restarted phone, etc but I keep getting a bug where I don't see the newest replies and matches. I finally have good matches and am having solid comversations. Someone even superliked me (lol). One recent match doesn't even has her main picture show up as blank. Anyone know how to fix this?

Edit: Logged on using a different phone. Same issue. Must be server side. Fuck me.

So I decided to tell the two girls that I got notifications from (but no reply was visible) what happened, and they both just copy/pasted their prior message that I never received. Stupid tinder. Also, this very attractive girl "super liked" me. I liked her back. I immediately went to my matches page & it didn't show her profile. Not only that, but the prior girl I matched with has an invisible main photo. Tinder is bugging the fuck out. I recalled seeing the girl's profile that super liked me. I remembered her IG name and so I followed her, thinking she'd just ignore it if she accidentally super liked or something. Turns out she followed me back. Either she does this normally or she recognized me. I dunno. Do I message her on there or just leave it alone & assume she unmatched me immediately?

friday

So I decided to tell the two girls that I got notifications from (but no reply was visible) what happened, and they both just copy/pasted their prior message that I never received. Stupid tinder. Also, this very attractive girl "super liked" me. I liked her back. I immediately went to my matches page & it didn't show her profile. Not only that, but the prior girl I matched with has an invisible main photo. Tinder is bugging the fuck out. I recalled seeing the girl's profile that super liked me. I remembered her IG name and so I followed her, thinking she'd just ignore it if she accidentally super liked or something. Turns out she followed me back. Either she does this normally or she recognized me. I dunno. Do I message her on there or just leave it alone & assume she unmatched me immediately?

You could try. I have seen matches pop up in my alerts and then they wont actually show up until later.

Assanova

So Match is evil. After your subscription expires, they still show your profile to women. They do this while still sending you emails about interested women, allowing you to go to their profile and send a message, but the instant you click "send", they take you to the payment page. I'm debating whether or not to sign-up again. I don't need to, and really don't have the time to date the women that I am currently talking to, but it would be nice to meet other women, you know, just in case. On a side note, they do guarantee that you will find someone within six months or you get your money back.

Jokab

Going from a conversation that has died down to a successful date - have any of you pulled it off? I attempted it once by simply going "Hey I'm going to be forward, do you want to grab drinks on day X at time Y?" and she said yes. While the date conversation was decent enough, I wasn't feeling any kind of vibe, so the date wasn't exactly good. I wonder if the conversation dying down foreshadows the date experience with any kind of accuracy. What do you guys and girls think?

friday

I don't think stale text messaging will always lead to bad in-person conversation. I think personally I am better in person than I am through texting. I just don't really like texting all that much.

I also think that reaching out for a date should happen pretty quickly. Sadly, with the free dating sites people don't seem very motivated to date. Tinder sometimes seems almost too easy.

Necrovex

So Match is evil. After your subscription expires, they still show your profile to women. They do this while still sending you emails about interested women, allowing you to go to their profile and send a message, but the instant you click "send", they take you to the payment page. I'm debating whether or not to sign-up again. I don't need to, and really don't have the time to date the women that I am currently talking to, but it would be nice to meet other women, you know, just in case. On a side note, they do guarantee that you will find someone within six months or you get your money back.

Does Match clarifies its meaning by "Find someone"? Does this mean going out on a single date, hooking up, relationship, etc.?

Salamando

Going from a conversation that has died down to a successful date - have any of you pulled it off? I attempted it once by simply going "Hey I'm going to be forward, do you want to grab drinks on day X at time Y?" and she said yes. While the date conversation was decent enough, I wasn't feeling any kind of vibe, so the date wasn't exactly good. I wonder if the conversation dying down foreshadows the date experience with any kind of accuracy. What do you guys and girls think?

Online interaction is a very poor indicator of chemistry. That said, if two people with 18+ years of experience with living on this planet run out of things to talk about in the 5 days between first contact and you ask them out, it isn't a good sign.

Does Match clarifies its meaning by "Find someone"? Does this mean going out on a single date, hooking up, relationship, etc.?

They operate more on "Does your Match behavior indicate they might have found someone". The two big things in their terms are you must message at least 5 new people each month, and you must have your profile enabled for the entire 6 months.

Palpable

This girl I'm talking to on tinder - I'd like to take her out. Stupid small talk so far, but she keeps responding. Her responses are fairly delayed (usually every couple of hours) which is kind of annoying, but she does have a kid & she's a teacher. Dunno if I should just be forward & ask her out. May as well, I've nothing to lose.

Assanova

They operate more on "Does your Match behavior indicate they might have found someone". The two big things in their terms are you must message at least 5 new people each month, and you must have your profile enabled for the entire 6 months.

That is actually pretty good. Message 30 people and you are guaranteed to find a mate? They must have so few people not finding a mate that they feel like they can guarantee this. You either have to be in the bottom tier of men or too lazy to message what is essentially one woman per week.

I'm geling REAL good with this hot red head on Tinder. We have A LOT in common. She likes Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, all the movies I like, we both work in retail, but trying to desparately get out....

Now the time will soon come to reveal that I live with my mother for the time being because of financial reasons, and helping her out with the bills since she was diagnosed with arthritis. She's 35, and I'm 33.

I'm hoping it goes well. I can try to convince her that everything before I told her about my living situation we've gotten along so well during our text msgs, and hope that doesn't change anything. Of course I'll say I'll understand if she doesn't want to persue a relationship, and that she wouldn't be the first. Not gonna push her, either.

She gave me her number, too.

EDIT-Aaaaaaand heeeeeeeeeeeere weeeeee go! She just texted me minutes after this post about hanging out. Wish me luck!

friday

I might be looking at back to back dates this weekend. Feels like I am jumping right into the deep end.

Deleted my old account and restarted with a revamped profile. Things are working well so far. First time I have ever had a girl send me a message first, very cute too.

Well. She still wants to hang out. She says she's not materialistic. Says, is it nice to be independent? Yes, but it's not a dealbreaker.

Now our busy schedules are trying to figure out the best time to meet up.

Salamando

Well, this conversation took the turn for the unexpected. Spent the past five days messaging on OKC. Got her number, spent today texting her. Things got appropriately flirty, and that's when I asked her if she'd like coffee or tea on Saturday. She couldn't do that. I suggested Tomorrow or Monday. Couldn't do that either. As if the "If you ask a girl out and she's busy, but doesn't try to reschedule, she's not that into you" rule wasn't enough, then she starts talking about how few people she'd consider meeting via online dating.

Hint taken.

Necrovex

That is actually pretty good. Message 30 people and you are guaranteed to find a mate? They must have so few people not finding a mate that they feel like they can guarantee this. You either have to be in the bottom tier of men or too lazy to message what is essentially one woman per week.

I agree. That's a legit deal. Messaging five women a month is incredibly easy. Hell it's easy to do that in a day. I may have to give a Match a try when I return home in a couple years.

So I was using tinder and I started talking to a girl. She recently sent me message apparently and as I opened the app I find that there isn't a message. Has this happened to anyone? Should I just ask her to resend the measage and let her know what happened?

So I was using tinder and I started talking to a girl. She recently sent me message apparently and as I opened the app I find that there isn't a message. Has this happened to anyone? Should I just ask her to resend the measage and let her know what happened?

You could but sometimes it also means that she could block you after that, happened to me once.

I got no match since friday, I really start to worry personally, I tried different type of profile photo but none of them since to work, guess I'm really ugly then (i'm not)

You could but sometimes it also means that she could block you after that, happened to me once.

Block me for asking to resend the message? Are you notified if you're blocked?

And don't say you're ugly, there could be many reasons you weren't liked, many times they're dumb reasons. I don't get matches often and I have people tell me I'm a good looking guy.

Lulubop

This has been happening a lot to me lately. It's usually just a really delayed notification for something already sent.

The key to Tinder is having an amazing jaw line apparently.

Yeah I know I'm not, but that's really strange in the other hand.

I never had a profile pic with a smile showing my teeth, I think I should do that

Palpable

That girl and I set up a date. I just kinda went for it and asked her what she was looking to get out of having the app. She said she wasn't looking for anything in particular, that she feels like everyone is wanting to jump into a relationship or hook up, which isn't her style. I told her I agreed, that getting to know one another and becoming friends is a good start. Beyond that, if anything develops into something more than friends, great, but if not then at least you made a new friend. Win/win. After that exchange I asked her out. She said she's busy over the weekend, but asked if I was free on Tuesday. So we decided on that. We're going to meet at a restaurant for dinner. I'm not sure if anything is going to happen beyond that. I'm pretty nervous.

Sure, but as you have observed, it's not the best time to ask a girl out. When first having a conversation online, it tends to follow a trajectory of increased interest that peaks, then subsides. The timing changes depending on the people and conversation, but you should ideally be asking her out at the peak of the interaction, when she is most agreeable. After the conversation has dragged for too long and waned, it's still possible to get a date, but your chances are much lower.

Jokab

Sure, but as you have observed, it's not the best time to ask a girl out. When first having a conversation online, it tends to follow a trajectory of increased interest that peaks, then subsides. The timing changes depending on the people and conversation, but you should ideally be asking her out at the peak of the interaction, when she is most agreeable. After the conversation has dragged for too long and waned, it's still possible to get a date, but your chances are much lower.

I agree with what you're saying. However, my question wasn't as much about getting the actual date, but rather if the date itself is successful.

To be honest, I've had some pretty good results with just asking a woman out in the very first message. Though that was through a system (website) that wasn't chat-based. So you simply sent a longer initial message.

The problem with this is that you're going mostly off looks which, you know, can sometimes be an indication of whether you're going to hit it off with someone, but it's pretty rare.

gaiages

Banned
Yeah I know I'm not, but that's really strange in the other hand.

I never had a profile pic with a smile showing my teeth, I think I should do that

Woah, be careful going that route, and make sure a few of your friends look at a picture like that first. Pictures like that can be great, but depending on how you smile it can also look quite creepy. I know, I have a creepy teeth smile :p

But if you can make it look good, then great!

That girl and I set up a date. I just kinda went for it and asked her what she was looking to get out of having the app. She said she wasn't looking for anything in particular, that she feels like everyone is wanting to jump into a relationship or hook up, which isn't her style. I told her I agreed, that getting to know one another and becoming friends is a good start. Beyond that, if anything develops into something more than friends, great, but if not then at least you made a new friend. Win/win. After that exchange I asked her out. She said she's busy over the weekend, but asked if I was free on Tuesday. So we decided on that. We're going to meet at a restaurant for dinner. I'm not sure if anything is going to happen beyond that. I'm pretty nervous.

Congrats :3

Assanova

Why are some of you guys having these long conversations with girls before asking them out on a date? I think it has been established that waiting a long time to ask a girl out usually doesn't work. It can, but I think that is the case when the girl is much more into you, than you are her.

Yes, women can genuinely be busy on a particular weekend, but if she likes you, she will be sure to stay in touch with you. After a girl gives me some bullshit story about being sick or whatever for the weekend, I cut contact and wait on her to establish that she wants to keep contact with me.

I also keep reading posts about how a girl is your best friend in the entire world. That's good and all, but I don't really think first dates and conversations leading up to them are about establishing that you would be best buddies. They are really about making sure that the other person is normal with some light flirting thrown in. Any more than that, then you are doing too much.

Why are some of you guys having these long conversations with girls before asking them out on a date? I think it has been established that waiting a long time to ask a girl out usually doesn't work. It can, but I think that is the case when the girl is much more into you, than you are her.

Yes, women can genuinely be busy on a particular weekend, but if she likes you, she will be sure to stay in touch with you. After a girl gives me some bullshit story about being sick or whatever for the weekend, I cut contact and wait on her to establish that she wants to keep contact with me.

I also keep reading posts about how a girl is your best friend in the entire world. That's good and all, but I don't really think first dates and conversations leading up to them are about establishing that you would be best buddies. They are really about making sure that the other person is normal with some light flirting thrown in. Any more than that, then you are doing too much.

Agreed with all of this.

Don't wait too long to ask someone out - or simply propose to meet for a drink somewhere (you should phrase it as such). If they say no (or don't respond), odds are it wouldn't have happened at all. That's my experience anyway.

The 'date' is where you can actually see whether you like each other or not. Weeks of messaging back and forth is a major waste of time if you ask me. Of course, there are exceptions: my last girlfriend I also met through online dating. The first date we set up relatively easily. Though there were a couple of weeks between the first and second date where she simply seemed to need time to think about it. Because there was no outright rejection, I decided to stick with it (especially because we had already met and it did seem like there was something there - and there was), but yeah, generally, I think speed is key.

Jokab

Agreed. To give an alternate perspective, there is this girl that I even initially didn't find super attractive, but I threw her a message anyway just to see what happened. She was very receptive in conversing, but soon after I started going out with another girl so I lost interest and stopped writing to her. However, she has reinitiated conversation maybe five times the past few weeks, with a few days inbetween each time, asking what I'm doing or if I had a good weekend. I think it's pretty obvious that she wants to go out with me, but since she's never asking me out nothing will happen - I'm just not interested enough to make a move myself. If she had asked me out I would probably give it a shot.

Do note that this is a situation a very rarely find myself, it's always me asking people out.

In other news, a few pages back I mentioned a girl that I started talking with through an anonymous message board app - we added each other on snapchat and then facebook. The initial premise was dating advice, which I've given her and she has given me, good advice at that. Turns out though that she's super duper cute, and through talking to her she's smart and funny. Since we've been talking a lot about dating and how it's difficult, I (half-jokingly) suggested that we should just date each other. She said I'm probably not her type (dammit!) but that she'd like to meet up anyway (she did get very interested when I subtly dropped that I play guitar and sing though...). It was initially scheduled for last Saturday, but she was a bit behind on her driving license studies so we moved it to this Saturday. I have no idea what to make of this, but going with the flow I guess. At worst I make a new friend.

I always ask a girl out within the first 24 hours. Not necessarily to meet up tonight, but let's get this whole "interested parties meeting each other in person" thing in motion. That's what first dates are for, getting to know each other, face to face, see if you even stand each other. Not weeks(months!) of back and forth text messages.

Jokab

I always ask a girl out within the first 24 hours. Not necessarily to meet up tonight, but let's get this whole "interested parties meeting each other in person" thing in motion. That's what first dates are for, getting to know each other, face to face, see if you even stand each other. Not weeks(months!) of back and forth text messages.

Do you do this even if you've only exchanged a few messages? I've talked to girls that take up to a day to respond, but still are interested in meeting up when I do ask. In such a case, I just feel like if I do the initial message, and she responds, then 24 hours have already passed. Asking someone out after a grand total of two exchanged messages feels very quick.

Do you do this even if you've only exchanged a few messages? I've talked to girls that take up to a day to respond, but still are interested in meeting up when I do ask. In such a case, I just feel like if I do the initial message, and she responds, then 24 hours have already passed. Asking someone out after a grand total of two exchanged messages feels very quick.

Like I said, I often do it in the first message. And it works. Because that's the whole point:

I mean hell, especially knowing some people take days to respond. Ain't nobody got time for that.gif

huxley00

Well, this conversation took the turn for the unexpected. Spent the past five days messaging on OKC. Got her number, spent today texting her. Things got appropriately flirty, and that's when I asked her if she'd like coffee or tea on Saturday. She couldn't do that. I suggested Tomorrow or Monday. Couldn't do that either. As if the "If you ask a girl out and she's busy, but doesn't try to reschedule, she's not that into you" rule wasn't enough, then she starts talking about how few people she'd consider meeting via online dating.

Hint taken.

That's why you never chat for too long. There are a fair % of women who just like to have pen pals or who want attention from a lot of men. Strike early and move on IMO.

Assanova

You will quickly learn that if she likes you, she will go out with you anyway. I usually ask a girl out within 48 hours of exchanging phone numbers. I may wait a few messages or a day to establish that I am not desperate or thirsty, but that's about it. Even if she does turn you down, if she genuinely likes you, she will make the effort to keep in contact with you.

I am not trying to have full blown conversations. If a girl makes you wait outside of just being busy or out of town, then chances are, she is not going to go out with you anyway. Again, hasn't this already been established by several people in this thread?

Jokab

You will quickly learn that if she likes you, she will go out with you anyway. I usually ask a girl out within 48 hours of exchanging phone numbers. I may wait a few messages or a day to establish that I am not desperate or thirsty, but that's about it. Even if she does turn you down, if she genuinely likes you, she will make the effort to keep in contact with you.

I am not trying to have full blown conversations. If a girl makes you wait outside of just being busy or out of town, then chances are, she is not going to go out with you anyway. Again, hasn't this already been established by several people in this thread?

It has been somewhat established. It's just that from talking to my dates (they have brought up the subject) and other girls I know, and I might be biased here who knows, but there seems to be some kind of consensus that if a guy asks a girl out early in an online dating conversation, he only wants to sleep with her. The idea is that you should get to know each other at least a bit before going on a date, because else you're not "special". Just paraphrasing what I've heard, I don't really agree with it. The sample size is very small though. Maybe there's a cultural difference? I live in Sweden so I wouldn't think there is, but for instance casually dating multiple people at the same time is also very frowned upon from people I've talked to.

Assanova

It has been somewhat established. It's just that from talking to my dates (they have brought up the subject) and other girls I know, and I might be biased here who knows, but there seems to be some kind of consensus that if a guy asks a girl out early in an online dating conversation, he only wants to sleep with her. The idea is that you should get to know each other at least a bit before going on a date, because else you're not "special". Just paraphrasing what I've heard, I don't really agree with it. The sample size is very small though. Maybe there's a cultural difference? I live in Sweden so I wouldn't think there is, but for instance casually dating multiple people at the same time is also very frowned upon from people I've talked to.

What a woman says she wants and what a woman actually wants oftentimes can be two totally different things. Sometimes men get labeled creepy just because they aren't psychically attractive enough for the woman; it doesn't necessarily mean that their actions are what society would actually see as creepy.

huxley00

Yeah, to hell with that shit. Borderline immoral if you ask me.

I'd totally agree. I've had girls who initiate contact with me, then when I ask them out after a day or two of back and forth, they go silent. You just have to have a thick skin with this type of stuff.

Which segues to another thing. I'm having a hard time really opening up to any of the women I'm seeing on a longer term basis. I feel like this online dating stuff has closed me off emotionally and am finding it to be quite a struggle to bring those walls down.

Girl I talked about on the last page was being forward and gave me her number to text. We texted each other throughout the day yesterday, talking about what we do, college, all that stuff. Later on last night, she asks me if I like Walking Dead. I said yes, told her about my other favorite shows, and she likes the same shows and movies I like; even a Bourne fan.

So then she asks me if I want to go out with her. I was going to eventually ask her out myself, but was waiting for the right moment to tell her about my living and financial situation. She seems to be cool with it. We're meeting up Saturday night after I get off work.

I know this may be exception and not the norm, but I'll take it.

Oh, and quoting Archer really does work with women. My opening line works EVERY TIME: "So, on Fridays, I usually have stir fry. I usually call that day stir Friday........get it?"

Seriously, making a girl laugh does wonders.

Super Like actually kind of works. I assume it bumps you up to the top of the match queue so they aren't getting a million other matches before getting to your profile.

Salamando

That's why you never chat for too long. There are a fair % of women who just like to have pen pals or who want attention from a lot of men. Strike early and move on IMO.

We weren't talking that long. Maybe 8 total OKC messages, 40 or so text messages. This girl just seemed apprehensive about online dating in general. Tried defending it for like 2 text messages before I realized its not my job...my only goal should be selling myself.

Palpable

The reason it took me a few days to ask her is because most of her responses are delayed. If it was quick, I'd certainly have asked her sooner. My previous girlfriend & I met through pof in 2013. She is the one that initiated meeting after texting with me for almost 2 weeks. I was new to the online dating thing at the time. Anyway, now that the date is set up, her and I are just having small talk about what kind of food she likes (stemmed out from the going out convo). Do I keep the conversation going & do we keep messaging as we have been up until our Tuesday meet? I haven't even asked for her number yet lol

Ok that's really strange now. I got no match for like 10 "sessions" of liking everyone even though I got some matches before. I wonder if there is a bug or anything...

The reason it took me a few days to ask her is because most of her responses are delayed. If it was quick, I'd certainly have asked her sooner. My previous girlfriend & I met through pof in 2013. She is the one that initiated meeting after texting with me for almost 2 weeks. I was new to the online dating thing at the time. Anyway, now that the date is set up, her and I are just having small talk about what kind of food she likes (stemmed out from the going out convo). Do I keep the conversation going & do we keep messaging as we have been up until our Tuesday meet? I haven't even asked for her number yet lol

I'd say ease off a little until Tuesday, unless she keeps messaging you, then it's alright to keep the conversation going.

Palpable

I'd say ease off a little until Tuesday, unless she keeps messaging you, then it's alright to keep the conversation going.

Yeah, but I don't feel it's a good idea to stop replying to her if she keeps replying. So long as she gives some sort of response for me to bounce something back with, I will. Not a whole lot of exchanging though, because most replies are 3-5 hours in between (unless I respond really quick). She seems to log on once every few hours.

Top Bottom