• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I like this one I came across:

You: Hey, do you mind filling out a quick survey?

Them: I guess/sure/yes/yeah.

You: First Name:_______
Phone Number:_________

stn

Tinder is 100% looks, nothing else. I added content to my bio just to seem more human. But I know for a fact it has made zero difference.

Arksy

If I'm not mistaken, Tinder is mostly about how you look.

What would you be looking for here if you linked your tinder profile? Subjectively, everyone finds different things attractive, so even if you get our opinion on your appearance, it won't help you with other people?

That's fair. I was more wondering of the photos I was using were just terrible or not.

Arksy

1. Are you hot?
2. If yes, did you put up pictures that show you are hot?

Well considering my luck on tinder the answer to at least one of those questions is very much no. I'm fairly sure its the first. I seem to do a lot better in real social situations than I do in virtual ones. Tinder is my first real foray into online dating and I'm thinking the app just isn't for me for one reason or another.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Having a tinder profile doesn't hurt though. I have come across a few girls that swiped right because I actually had a profile, instead of only pictures and/or they thought my profile was charming.

cametall

I feel like in my area a large chunk of Tinder are prostitutes. Fort Lauderdale/Miami.

Is this common in other places? Big cities I'd imagine.

Giggzy

Just coming across this thread. I met my current GF over 3 years ago on PoF. Although she messaged me, here is the message I would use and had tons of success with:

"So...

I'm not very good at these initial icebreakers. In fact, I'd say I'm quite bad at them!

Learning chemistry... Not much of a problem.
Learning physics... Somewhat difficult.
Messaging a beautiful women online... Most difficult challenge yet!

I hope a simple hello will suffice.

Hello :)

I'm (insert name)."

However, I am 6'3 and in good shape so maybe that helped.

Good luck friends!

Calibus

I tried using your first line. Most of it didn't get a response with one of them going "...k?" I failed you! D:

Unpossible! It received Obama's rubber stamp. Oh well, there's always line number 2 :p

new best choice

U5tJGMf.jpg

(obviously not me)

Oh man -- brilliant!

E92 M3

I don't need this in my life anymore, but this is the pick-up line I'd use:

In the name of Robert of the House Baratheon, first of his name, king of the Andals and the first men, lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm. I *insert name* of the House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and warden of the North sentence you to give me your number.

Solo

I don't need this in my life anymore, but this is the pick-up line I'd use:

In the name of Robert of the House Baratheon, first of his name, king of the Andals and the first men, lord of the seven kingdoms and protector of the realm. I *insert name* of the House Stark, Lord of Winterfell and warden of the North sentence you to give me your number.

That would get you as many numbers as Ned Stark has heads, likely.

Luigi87

Okay, back from my trip to Tokyo, and ready to start getting serious... But that being said, any profile suggestions GAF? (quote to see)

Christ, I've been on this site far too long

"We're giving you A-List!

Enjoy one week of unlimited access to OkCupid's A-List, the best dating service on earth.

See who thinks you're hot stuff
A-List lets you see everyone who likes you on OkCupid.

Find Ms. Right, right away
Zero in on the right person with advanced match search filters.

Browse profiles undetected
Invisible browsing: check out hotties to your heart's content."

A free week trial of A-List. They gave me a free 24 hour boost a few weeks back, too. I'm also a moderator. All of this is fucking depressing.

SRG01

My first Tinder date is tomorrow! I'm kind of nervous, because we don't really know each other. I suppose it'll feel more like a real date :)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah I don't feel confident in this girl from Tinder getting back to me AT ALL. Oh well. I wonder if I should take some time off the dating game again, at least recover for a bit. We'll see. Got another first date lined up for tomorrow (from Tinder), then it's mostly dry. Kept talking to one girl but she's super shy and I'm not sure I can keep doing that... and one's on vacation 'til the end of August, meh.

So I just retooled my profile on OKCupid completely along with a new picture, so figured I'd bring it here for the first time for you guys to take a look at and see what you think.

I figure I should follow everyone else's lead and make it for members only on here to check out.

Quote to reveal

Thanks in advance!

Halcyon

So I just retooled my profile on OKCupid completely along with a new picture, so figured I'd bring it here for the first time for you guys to take a look at and see what you think. [/EMAIL]

Thanks in advance!

You need to start utilizing myspace angles. As far as the entertainment videogame/pop culture stuff I'm torn. Obviously we are all Gaffers so there's a large percentage of nerdy ass dudes here and that is our personality. So finding a girl that wants to do those things is the dream, but also has a MUCH smaller chance of happening. I would say next to none.

So then you're just alienating the larger percentage of single women that want a dude thats more well rounded and wants to go out drinking and dancing and likes to be active and all that. But tailoring your profile to that is faking it, even if it starts getting you more attention.

As an aside, yet another 90% dude match. If any of you guys were women I'd be plowing through all of you.

You need to start utilizing myspace angles. As far as the entertainment videogame/pop culture stuff I'm torn. Obviously we are all Gaffers so there's a large percentage of nerdy ass dudes here and that is our personality. So finding a girl that wants to do those things is the dream, but also has a MUCH smaller chance of happening. I would say next to none.

So then you're just alienating the larger percentage of single women that want a dude thats more well rounded and wants to go out drinking and dancing and likes to be active and all that. But tailoring your profile to that is faking it, even if it starts getting you more attention.

As an aside, yet another 90% dude match. If any of you guys were women I'd be plowing through all of you.

Thanks for the advice. I tried to keep most of the game stuff to a minimum except for a few playful things. Actually only had one reference before and then forgot to take it out when I used something similar elsewhere. Will cut that down.

Halcyon

Okay, back from my trip to Tokyo, and ready to start getting serious... But that being said, any profile suggestions GAF?

Only 89% match Bro. Would not bang.

I laughed at the recipe thing. I would take out "However that does make for a fairly apt representation of what makes me who I am" and just end that paragraph with the joke.

This is another case of a great example of a profile for attracting GAF members. Like I would want to be your friend because you know who Thrawn is, but women are less likely to be into that. I rarely meet super cool "gamer chicks". backslashbunny says she is but she's a gaffer and is probably the only one.

I think for casting the biggest initial net it's best to stay sorta broad in your interests then when you have the woman attached emotionally you drag her to the comic book store because that's the trade off for making you watch Keeping up with the Kardashians.

Also these are just my opinions. I don't know what the fuck i'm talking about. I'm single and my wife cheated on me and turned my soul into a deep pit of darkness and ice.

MercuryLS

Banned
Okcupid connected me with the most wonderful woman I've ever met. The key was those compatibility questions, I had a 95% match with her and it shows. There's such strong compatibility in so many ways.

By the way, I would suggest people answer as many questions as possible. I didn't get too much interest from women on there until I did that. I guess women search a lot based on that percentage. Once I started answering lots of question my inbox was flooded. My profile isn't even that great.

stn

By the way, I would suggest people answer as many questions as possible. I didn't get too much interest from women on there until I did that. I guess women search a lot based on that percentage. Once I started answering lots of question my inbox was flooded. My profile isn't even that great.
Are you good looking? What answering questions actually does is it puts your profile on the front page. Whenever I don't answer questions I get messaged only a few times a week. After I answer some questions I get messaged anywhere from 1-3 times per day. Its why I hate stuff like POF, there's no way to make your profile stand out without paying money.

Halcyon

Are you good looking? What answering questions actually does is it puts your profile on the front page. Whenever I don't answer questions I get messaged only a few times a week. After I answer some questions I get messaged anywhere from 1-3 times per day. Its why I hate stuff like POF, there's no way to make your profile stand out without paying money.

Yea if I ever want a quick boost in attention, I upload a new picture, change something in my profile or answer a few questions.

Shown in 165 search results in the last 24 hours, will turn to Shown in 1245 search results in the last 24 hours.

MercuryLS

Banned

I think I'm pretty average looking, I'm tall though at 6'3" so that probably helps. Yeah, it makes a big difference. Also people can search by match % and I'm pretty sure many women do. I don't think it was a coincidence that I was getting messaged by girls with 90% match compatibility.

Luigi87

Only 89% match Bro. Would not bang.

I laughed at the recipe thing. I would take out "However that does make for a fairly apt representation of what makes me who I am" and just end that paragraph with the joke.

This is another case of a great example of a profile for attracting GAF members. Like I would want to be your friend because you know who Thrawn is, but women are less likely to be into that. I rarely meet super cool "gamer chicks". backslashbunny says she is but she's a gaffer and is probably the only one.

I think for casting the biggest initial net it's best to stay sorta broad in your interests then when you have the woman attached emotionally you drag her to the comic book store because that's the trade off for making you watch Keeping up with the Kardashians.

Also these are just my opinions. I don't know what the fuck i'm talking about. I'm single and my wife cheated on me and turned my soul into a deep pit of darkness and ice.

I can see your point. I was wondering if I left it off on the joke though that I'd come off as too cocky/not-serious enough.

And I guess casting a bigger net could help. Admittedly I've been overly selective which hasn't yielded the best results for myself.

Also that really sucks >_< Sorry to hear that.

Anyone else?

Jhoan

Got bottom of page'd, so just reposting on the new page

Damn son! 345 miles away?! Oh Canada, you're such a strange foreign land despite being the great northern country. Also I understood that reference (browsing from my bro's OKC profile since he left it logged in). You look a little bit like Kirk Cameron/Geoff Keighley; more the latter since both of you are Canadian.

Personally, I would add a little bit of variety to the main pics and include some action shots since you have the same expression in the 3 main pics. The Japan shot looks awesome; if you have shots of you doing stuff in Japan e.g. playing arcades or at an izakaya (never been to Japan but know a few things) with friends, do throw them in. I'm a firm believer supporting the things that you say in your profile with pictures that show what you love to do e.g. you say you like playing golf? Post a picture of you playing golf or have a friend take a bunch of action shots next time you go.

I would also tone down the nerdy stuff unless you're looking to attract nerdy girls in which case more power to you but if you're casting a wider net, I think it's going to be harder for you. It depends on what you're looking for. I think meet up groups work best to meet those type of girls or going to local gaming events/conventions.

As a whole, your profile is all right, but I skimmed through it since it's a little bit hard to read and it's a bit serious. Maybe you should trim down the self-summary section and keep it a little bit more playful. Less is more e.g. "I like modeling hippos and pigs dressed in mumus in 3D modeling software."

Your profile is pretty standard, but to be totally honest, quite a few of your answers to questions had me do a FULL STOP-TURN AROUND-RUN.

Sorry :/

You can't say that and not give me details! Is one of them the what you are good at question? Friend helped me and he came up with that one last night. Been questioning if I should go with a more standard answer on that one.

If you honestly want to know, I'll paste the questions, not the answers, or why.

Looking at your profile, here are some.

1. Do you think smarter people are usually capable of deeper love?

2. Do you laugh when someone trips and falls?

3. Is it cool for guys to wear earrings?

4. Does the idea of childbirth disgust you?

5. Is very short hair on a girl necessarily unattractive?

6. Which is longer, a km or a mile?

7. Is abortion an option in case of accidental pregnancy?

8. Do you think people's musical preferences are a good indicator of intelligence?

9. Do you believe in an energy field, etc.

I'm not going to go through all of it, but yeah. You and I are completely different people, I think, so it's really just a matter of my personal opinion. I know some people who would agree with you, though, so I suppose you should probably try to target them.

Oh okay. For some reason in my head I read it as answers to the questions on my page rather than the actual question and answer portion. I appreciate it. Also, thanks for the heads up on the mile vs. kilometer question. No idea how I messed that one up because I definitely know that one. Must have clicked the right one or did it very late at night or something. Thanks again!

Ovid

Christ, I've been on this site far too long

"We're giving you A-List!

Enjoy one week of unlimited access to OkCupid's A-List, the best dating service on earth.

See who thinks you're hot stuff
A-List lets you see everyone who likes you on OkCupid.

Find Ms. Right, right away
Zero in on the right person with advanced match search filters.

Browse profiles undetected
Invisible browsing: check out hotties to your heart's content."

A free week trial of A-List. They gave me a free 24 hour boost a few weeks back, too. I'm also a moderator. All of this is fucking depressing.
The app already shows you who "likes you". Why would I pay for that?

Also, I wonder if they artificial suppress how often you show up in matches just so that your can pay for boosts?

Halcyon

I'm not going to go through all of it, but yeah. You and I are completely different people, I think, so it's really just a matter of my personal opinion. I know some people who would agree with you, though, so I suppose you should probably try to target them.

I have to go through mine at some point. I feel like I went on a streak of answering quite a few of the just straight up overtly sexual questions and it may or may not make me look like a sex fiend. I'm too lazy to sorta it all out though.

Ovid

Lmao! I still plan on getting around to doing a dramatic reading version of it when I get the energy for it. Unfortunately, I think that's the last bit of iron I'm going to ingest for a little while since I haven't heard from her ever since. I wanted to wash my mouth off of the taste so badly. I ain't even mad to be honest; I've noticed women in public express interest in me more clearly now. It's like a fog got lifted from my eyes. Definitely going to need to eat a ton more fiber in my diet.
Wait, so you guys never made contact since that day?

Jhoan

Wait, so you guys never made contact since that day?
That's right. I contacted her around to 2:20AM the day after but never heard back from her. It looks like it was a one time time thing for her.

Looking at it from her shoes, she probably had high expectations that I was going to rock her world because of all the dirty texts we exchanged and go the full way only for me give her oral and be disappointed that I didn't. I try not to think much about what I could have don differently but maybe she was kind of offended that I chose not to do her without a condom/didn't trust her. Not to mention the condom issues. Oh well. *shrug*

I'm not going to burn my bridge and delete her number but I will delete the thread of texts and will not contact her any more so you can say that I'm going to move on (I did so already). At this point with August and school nearly here at the end of the month, I'd like at least 1-2 more hook ups before I disable my Tinder alerts. They've dried up lately in any case but I might entertain the idea of keeping around a little bit early in the semester to see if they skyrocket.

Also, slightly off-topic: I hope you come out to next month's GAF meet that I won't be organizing for a change. The thread should be going up any day now according to my successor. I would love to chat about online dating adventures in person.:D

Jhoan

Someone else said it nicely earlier; if a woman is coming over for sex and doesn't get sex, I doubt she'll be coming over again.

Basically. That's why I said it was never really "congrats on the sex." It was probably a painful experience in retrospect because she was angry that she didn't get it so she let it out that way. I still cringe a little bit at the unpleasant experience to be honest. Live and learn for future experiences I guess.

Halcyon

Basically. That's why I said it was never really "congrats on the sex." It was probably a painful experience in retrospect because she was angry that she didn't get it so she let it out that way. I still cringe a little bit at the unpleasant experience to be honest. Live and learn for future experiences I guess.

Most people do when they think about what they do when they're trying to date/get laid. It's part of it otherwise everyone would just constantly be in serious relationships.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Pretty sure after tonight's date I'll lay low for a bit. Don't have my hopes up for a second date with girl from Tuesday, 2 others I'm talking to but one's very shy/inexperienced and the other's away for another month so I'm just playing those by ear, they seem like fun to be friends with, I wouldn't mind.

Might ask one of my rl acquaintances out, but that's about it. Need to recover my energy&spirit for a bit after the last few weeks have taken a toll on me haha. Definitely much, MUCH better than it used to be (dating experience/confidence). Maybe one day it'll translate to me being able to talk people up in person, one day!

Top Bottom