• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Tabasco

Anyone have any Tinder tips to increase my chances of getting a match?

I used to have at least a small amount of luck getting a match, now I'm only getting matches with bots.

It is probably my poor choice of pictures. None of them show that I'm a social person and they just look boring. I don't know how to take better pictures if I'm a loner.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Anyone have any Tinder tips to increase my chances of getting a match?

I used to have at least a small amount of luck getting a match, now I'm only getting matches with bots.

It is probably my poor choice of pictures. None of them show that I'm a social person and they just look boring. I don't know how to take better pictures if I'm a loner.

Swipe right like your life depended on it. That is really the only thing I do. I don't have the best pictures, but I get a lot of matches.

Although, it sounds like you are in a dry spell run. Happens to me where I get hot and cold weeks.

Tabasco

Swipe right like your life depended on it. That is really the only thing I do. I don't have the best pictures, but I get a lot of matches.

Although, it sounds like you are in a dry spell run. Happens to me where I get hot and cold weeks.
I've been swiping right the entire time I've been using the app pretty much. :/

Thanks for trying to help though.

SRG01

Yup.

You are going to get a lot of doors slammed on your face until you find your way in. I had two big issues at first:

1) A super rusty game.

Situation and solution: For a very long time I was married to my job (worst mistake ever, even if it paid for my place) and had very little social interaction. It took me a good while to regain my confidence and learn how to steer a conversation and flirt without being an awkward mess.

2) The picture. The goddamned fucking picture.

Situation and solution: I had a professional picture of me at the job with a dressy shirt and a tie. It was a good picture. All it got me was jack and shit. The girls I managed to date while I had it on my profile were shy, lonely ones in need of a relationship who would have probably gone with anyone who had said the right words (no offense intended to any of them; not only I've been there, but they all were sweet ladies and some of them could have easily gone for somebody a couple of tiers above me if they had the confidence). Then one day I took a shitty, shitty photo calibrating my camera at the bathroom, shared it with a couple of gaffers in jest and got some positive comments out of the blue. I added some crummy Instagram filter, set it as the default picture at the dating site I use and before I knew it I COULDN'T REPLY TO ALL THE MESSAGES I WAS GETTING. I went from having one or two conversations going on at the same time to eight. And all it took was an eye catching picture.

Right now I've stopped contacting with any more girls because my list is outright unmanageable ATM. Hell, one of the girls who dropped from one of my early conversations just got in contact again this morning. It's a mess.

If an old crusty fuck like me can do that, you sure can too.

But Funky Papa, girls love older men :D

ATF487

Jumped back on the OKC train and have had a little more success, at least as far as page views and message responses go. Having some good pictures definitely helps, preferably ones when you're out and about.

This isn't really related to Online dating but I have to write this somewhere :p. I just met a girl at a bar that was a fair bit older than me (she said she was 35, I turn 25 in a fortnight) but she liked lots of the same music as I did (Jason Molina and Ryan Adams!), was extremely cute, and I didn't ask for her number. Kicking myself at the moment, even if we were just concert buddies it'd be cool. We both came from the same music festival and I'm debating buying a ticket for Sunday to see if I "accidentally" run into her. Worst case scenario I just see a couple of bands I've been really dying to see anyway, but it would be by far the most desperate (and expensive) thing I've done in the name of love

Sami+

Does my tinder profile look alright to you guys? Dunno if I should change it at all.

540a0c00ddbab.jpg

woodchuck

Does my tinder profile look alright to you guys? Dunno if I should change it at all.

Pictures are fine except the bottom right photo. I would delete that one. . Delete everything regarding twitter, tumble, neogaf etc (unless that was added just for our benefit...haven't been following the thread)

Sami+

Your profile is amazing.

Bottom right corner picture makes you look like Spock. Were you going for that?

Pictures are fine except the bottom right photo. I would delete that one. . Delete everything regarding twitter, tumble, neogaf etc (unless that was added just for our benefit...haven't been following the thread)

Thanks. :)

Deleted the Spock pic. Definitely not what I was going for, lol. Went ahead and deleted the online stuff too - it's not something I want to hide or anything, but yeah I can see how it's just superfluous info.

Good besides that tho?

Jhoan

I've been swiping right the entire time I've been using the app pretty much. :/

Thanks for trying to help though.
If you feel comfortable sharing it, take a screenshot of your pictures and post it. Maybe it's the type of pictures you have. I get matches regularly based on having two shirtless pictures (in good taste), a main picture where I'm holding a bottle of beer in a model-like pose (Medium shot), two pictures of me with my art work (medium close up and a long shot), and a picture of me doing an action (long shot). Plus it helps that I'm a fairly good looking guy.
Bottom right corner picture makes you look like Spock. Were you going for that?
This made me lol. EDIT: Saw your update Discoid. Nice. I noticed a ton of medium close up shots which look fantastic but my one nitpick would be that look samey; variety is the spice of life.

A bunch of updates from my end:

I have a date today in the evening which should be fun. We're going to place that has $5 entrance fee for a live jazz band, a plethora of games to play including ping pong, pool, Scrabble, Sorry, and shuffle board among others. She seems cool so far. Dunno if I have romantic feelings for her at the moment since my relationship meter is swinging slightly towards the friend side. Maybe that'll change once I get a feel of what she's like in person.

I've also been flirting very heavily with an Aussie/British girl via text. It's been great fun so far as she's been sending me a few innuendos as well as telling me that she has a thing for tall men with a smiley face (I'm about 6'3/6'4 vs. her 5'6). Too bad we can't hang out until after 15th since that's when her friend goes back to 'Stralia but she said she's looking forward to seeing me as much I'm looking forward to seeing her. The wait is killing me.=/

Coincidentally, the 15th is when the Indian girl who I postponed the date with comes back. My therapist helped me realize that she probably wanted to spend the night with me when she proposed having dinner so late in the night and that I should have taken leap of faith and gone. Oh well.

I've gotten a few other matches but haven't had much motivation to hit them up at the moment; a few other conversations have gone dry so I'll try to rekindle them. I was eyeing a cute girl in one of my classes on Thursday who had gorgeous legs, spoke to her during a break at length, and got good vibes from her as well as another attractive female classmate.

Was pretty oblivious to the fact that a girl cosplaying as Sue Storm at a New York Comic Con event that I went to on Friday was hitting on me when she said "I want to tickle your armpit" and congratulated me after I won a shirt (I was slightly hammered from the free drinks). I only realized it yesterday after discussing the event with my brother. I'm face palming myself for it but I'm sure she'll be at the Villains event in a few weeks that I plan on attending.

I'm going to try shooting a text to the Israeli girl later today to see what's up with her as she returned from her vacation. Something tells me that sooner or later dating multiple girls in one week/at once is bound to hit a collision course.

Lastly, after going cold on the Ecuadorian girl, I still haven't heard back from her. I'll try shooting her a text on Monday night to see if there's any interest there. Otherwise, I'm ready to unfollow her on Instagram, delete her number/texts, and move on at a moment's notice because she flaked on me last week so I have a feeling it's going to be a dead end with her. That's pretty much it for now.

Kyne

If you feel comfortable sharing it, take a screenshot of your pictures and post it. Maybe it's the type of pictures you have. I get matches regularly based on having two shirtless pictures (in good taste), a main picture where I'm holding a bottle of beer in a model-like pose (Medium shot), two pictures of me with my art work (medium close up and a long shot), and a picture of me doing an action (long shot). Plus it helps that I'm a fairly good looking guy.

This made me lol. EDIT: Saw your update Discoid. Nice. I noticed a ton of medium close up shots which look fantastic but my one nitpick would be that look samey; variety is the spice of life.

A bunch of updates from my end:

I have a date today in the evening which should be fun. We're going to place that has $5 entrance fee for a live jazz band, a plethora of games to play including ping pong, pool, Scrabble, Sorry, and shuffle board among others. She seems cool so far. Dunno if I have romantic feelings for her at the moment since my relationship meter is swinging slightly towards the friend side. Maybe that'll change once I get a feel of what she's like in person.

I've also been flirting very heavily with an Aussie/British girl via text. It's been great fun so far as she's been sending me a few innuendos as well as telling me that she has a thing for tall men with a smiley face (I'm about 6'3/6'4 vs. her 5'6). Too bad we can't hang out until after 15th since that's when her friend goes back to 'Stralia but she said she's looking forward to seeing me as much I'm looking forward to seeing her. The wait is killing me.=/

Coincidentally, the 15th is when the Indian girl who I postponed the date with comes back. My therapist helped me realize that she probably wanted to spend the night with me when she proposed having dinner so late in the night and that I should have taken leap of faith and gone. Oh well.

I've gotten a few other matches but haven't had much motivation to hit them up at the moment; a few other conversations have gone dry so I'll try to rekindle them. I was eyeing a cute girl in one of my classes on Thursday who had gorgeous legs, spoke to her during a break at length, and got good vibes from her as well as another attractive female classmate.

Was pretty oblivious to the fact that a girl cosplaying as Sue Storm at a New York Comic Con event that I went to on Friday was hitting on me when she said "I want to tickle your armpit" and congratulated me after I won a shirt (I was slightly hammered from the free drinks). I only realized it yesterday after discussing the event with my brother. I'm face palming myself for it but I'm sure she'll be at the Villains event in a few weeks that I plan on attending.

I'm going to try shooting a text to the Israeli girl later today to see what's up with her as she returned from her vacation. Something tells me that sooner or later dating multiple girls in one week/at once is bound to hit a collision course.

Lastly, after going cold on the Ecuadorian girl, I still haven't heard back from her. I'll try shooting her a text on Monday night to see if there's any interest there. Otherwise, I'm ready to unfollow her on Instagram, delete her number/texts, and move on at a moment's notice because she flaked on me last week so I have a feeling it's going to be a dead end with her. That's pretty much it for now.

man you really are playing this game with all your pieces on the board. There's no way I'd be able to do that. More power to ya.

Jhoan

man you really are playing this game with all your pieces on the board. There's no way I'd be able to do that. More power to ya.

Hahahaha, to be honest I'm kind of scared that I might be turning into a play boy since it's going to be hard micromanaging so many women at once because of having to spend money and told my therapist so. xD

Otherwise, this has been a fantastic year for me dating wise. My confidence has been pretty damn good lately and I'm becoming more aware of when to fold it with girls that aren't worth my time as well as with girls that are worth my time. Tinder has been pretty awesome for me.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Hahahaha, to be honest I'm kind of scared that I might be turning into a play boy since it's going to be hard micromanaging so many women at once because of having to spend money and told my therapist so. xD

Otherwise, this has been a fantastic year for me dating wise. My confidence has been pretty damn good lately and I'm becoming more aware of when to fold it with girls that aren't worth my time as well as with girls that are worth my time. Tinder has been pretty awesome for me.

basically, this.

I've gotten a lot "better" at dating since I started. I'm more confident in myself and don't go "omg she responded i'll over-invest regardless of how much we actually fit together" kind of thing.

Sami+

How long does it usually take you guys to get matches on tinder? I got two three days ago but it's been pretty dry since then, even after I started right swiping like a madman yesterday lol. I think my impatience is getting the best of me.

Jipan you're really killing it, lol. Congrats.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Tinder is rubbish. You may get a match from time to time, but at least in my area it solely exists to inflate the ego of bonafide harpies and trolls. I love the idea, mind you, but the way it's used around these parts makes it worthless.

I wonder if girls face the same issues.

Also, Tinder prostitution is a thing.

Sami+

Tinder is rubbish. You may get a match from time to time, but at least in my area it solely exists to inflate the ego of bonafide harpies and trolls. I love the idea, mind you, but the way it's used around these parts makes it worthless.

Everyone I've talked to here uses it exclusively. I made a Match and OKC as well but I didn't care for the complications after using something as simple and to the point as Tinder. My buddy and his roommate said the same thing - Tinder's the only popular one here afaik.

SRG01

Yeah, I have to say that Tinder is useless as well. No one's interested in talking.

y2dvd

Pls respond GAF

It looks fine to me so now we need girl-GAF to critique!

Jipan will eventually become the sensei of the bunch. He is on a roll!

Weekly impression:
-OKC is still the best of the bunch.
-I don't get much matches on Tinder at all unless I right swipe everyone, and even that's half the battle. I sometimes won't even get a reply back to those I matched up with.
-CoB I don't mind the pace of it tbh. I finally matched up with someone and chatted for a bit though that broke off. I think this and OKC is probably all I need.
-PoF is still pretty cumbersome to use and I think imma drop this app.
-Bars are still the best place to pick up chicks lol. I got a number each night these past two nights.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Everyone I've talked to here uses it exclusively. I made a Match and OKC as well but I didn't care for the complications after using something as simple and to the point as Tinder. My buddy and his roommate said the same thing - Tinder's the only popular one here afaik.

I wish that was the case over here.

Bizarrely enough, some of the girls that apparently swiped me to the left in Tinder have talked to me at the dating site I frequent. What gives?

Jhoan

How long does it usually take you guys to get matches on tinder? I got two three days ago but it's been pretty dry since then, even after I started right swiping like a madman yesterday lol. I think my impatience is getting the best of me.

Jipan you're really killing it, lol. Congrats.
When I'm actively swiping (I swipe left occasionally since I'm particular about the types of girls I'm after), I usually get anywhere from 3-7 matches a day; bots being easy to spot and report/unmatch and with real girls as well. Keep at it is what I say. You're a fairly handsome guy. If you want a leg up on other guys and want more matches, assuming you're fit/have a decent body, you can't go wrong with a posting a shirtless picture of you say at a beach.

Thanks I suppose. I'm skeptical that some of them might not work out as I've yet to see a girl past 2 meetings but fuck it; I'm rolling with it. No real sweat off my back if tonight's date doesn't work out. I have a higher probability of getting dates with girls in my classes/college by virtue of it being much easier in person.

I contacted the Israeli girl so we'll see what happens; I haven't heard back from her yet.

Texting with the Aussie girl is still going strong/fantastic. Even nothing romantic becomes of it, personality wise, she sounds like an awesome person who isn't afraid to be herself. I like that in people in general.

I lost it at harpies and trolls. I haven't laughed so hard all day yet. European English is absolutely inventive/creative.

But seriously, that even happens here in NYC as well among the occasional bots. There's definitely girls that use Tinder either for attention/more Instagram followers (look at my ass shot guys) or to string guys along to stroke their egos. I changed my approach from serious to fun and here I am. I do get curious about that myself; I'm pretty sure there are guys that are on Tinder to stroke their egos so I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Sami+

When I'm actively swiping (I swipe left occasionally since I'm particular about the types of girls I'm after), I usually get anywhere from 3-7 matches a day; bots being easy to spot and report/unmatch and with real girls as well. Keep at it is what I say. You're a fairly handsome guy. If you want a leg up on other guys and want more matches, assuming you're fit/have a decent body, you can't go wrong with a posting a shirtless picture of you say at a beach.

I'm nothing special yet, lol. Been going to the gym though. I'll get there sometime but for now I'm just average.

I think you really have the right attitude about your stuff. It's good to be easygoing about it - I should really work on that haha.

woodchuck

It looks fine to me so now we need girl-GAF to critique!

Jipan will eventually become the sensei of the bunch. He is on a roll!

Weekly impression:

-Bars are still the best place to pick up chicks lol. I got a number each night these past two nights.

it's easy to get numbers at a bar. if anything actually comes out of those numbers is questionable.

Jhoan

Girl texted me confirming the date for tonight. Like I said above, at the moment I'm leaning slightly towards being friends with her at the moment even though it has been light/flirtatious. We have a few things in common including liking art, drawing, and being students but the line draws in the middle of the sand in terms of general interests.

She's a vet assistant whereas I'm an art student/aspiring freelance artist. Maybe there's a lot more to her in person because it feels like I've tapped her out of things to talk to her about.

Then again, I'm overthinking about it; it's my first real date since early July. I know what to do differently to avoid repeating past mistakes. I should just focus on having a good time and going with the flow.

Pls respond GAF

I laughed at the last bit: I've contemplated using that line myself.

Otherwise it seems a bit bland. Too many one-word sentences make it look like a list.

Why don't you use your third picture as your main? Show your face.

Maybe go into more about your job/career. You're a good-looking active person but nothing really stands out to me (then again I'm a guy).

I would remove the nerd comment and the fact you only dance when seeing someone.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Has anyone gone out with someone and they turned out to be bigger than their pictures let on?

Sami+

I'm gonna try and rent out a DSLR from the school library tomorrow and take a few more pictures today and tomorrow. I like my profile photo but I'm not too happy with my other ones overall.

I just need to convince my friend to take some nice looking pics, lol.

Dunno why but I've always loved taking pictures of people with SLRs - especially close shots with shallow DoF. It's nice for profile photos and such but I also just really like the look of them.

Jhoan

Date ended about 35 mins ago or so. The area I'm in now has hot White girls left and right (West Village).

I thought it went well even though I'm on the fence about it. We had a damn good conversation all around and yet I didn't get a friend vibe from her as I initially thought. I got good vibes from her that we high fived a few times. Didn't make out with her since I'm back on my no kiss on first date rule. Plus I didn't sense that she wanted to make out so I hugged her.

After discussing it with a friend, I think I'm gonna give her a second chance to decide whether or not she's a friend or something more. It was good overall; didn't feel like it was a waste of time.

In other news, the Israeli girl responded and seems interested again so another door has reopened. The Aussie girl's phone died* so she sent me a text apologizing on top of 3 additional blocks of texts as usual. Life is good but back to school tomorrow. Got homework to do.

Halcyon

SOMEONE CALLED FOR GIRL-GAF.

1. Get rid of that selfie as your main profile picture. Use the 3d photo.
2. The second photo is a little too obvious. It comes across as tryhard. You have nice arms, but that's too blatantly sexual.
3. The 4th picture has your middle finger in it. Usually that's not encouraged to be in any photos when you are over 18.

I think that men put the jam in a jelly roll, not the other way around, usually.

Take out references to being a nerd, and just hint at it with your interests.

Thanks for the response gaf.

I had my face as my main picture for a long time. It was a different one because I forgot it auto replaced when you add new pictures. I took out a few and will probably rework the text a bit to seem less stale.

The jam in the jelly roll is a quote from lethal weapon 3 that I'm still waiting for someone to pick up on. I guess not alot of Mel Gibson fans anymore.

Kyne

Date ended about 35 mins ago or so. The area I'm in now has hot White girls left and right (West Village).

I thought it went well even though I'm on the fence about it. We had a damn good conversation all around and yet I didn't get a friend vibe from her as I initially thought. I got good vibes from her that we high fived a few times. Didn't make out with her since I'm back on my no kiss on first date rule. Plus I didn't sense that she wanted to make out so I hugged her.

After discussing it with a friend, I think I'm gonna give her a second chance to decide whether or not she's a friend or something more. It was good overall; didn't feel like it was a waste of time.

In other news, the Israeli girl responded and seems interested again so another door has reopened. The Aussie girl's phone so she sent me a text apologizing on top of 3 additional blocks of texts as usual. Life is good but back to school tomorrow. Got homework to do.

When I went on my first date I hugged her too! For some reason a kiss just wouldn't have felt right. In fact, I didn't kiss her until like the third date.. and we didn't really 'make out' until like the 5th date.

Now she's my girlfriend. :x

Always keep an open mind is all I'm saying. It sounds like you already know that though.

Lulubop

Had a good date too, in the east village though. My hood. Felt bad asking her to come all the way from BX, now she's going all the way up there mad late. Might cuff, but there's a lot out there.

I've retired from the game for a little while since I found my mother on pof and now okc. Only disabled my okc though

I'm chasing an older lady irl so I'll see how that goes

This might be kinda lame and I dont know if this is the right place to post, but I have started up Tinder a few days ago. I finally got a match and uhh Its been awhile since I tried to flirt with girls and the whole texting/conversion game is foreign to me still. So any suggestions about how I should start up a conversion / flirt? Should I wait a day or something ?

Valus

GAF the impossible has happened. A cute girl randomly checked out my profile and actually sent me a message. Am I going to be murdered?

This might be kinda lame and I dont know if this is the right place to post, but I have started up Tinder a few days ago. I finally got a match and uhh Its been awhile since I tried to flirt with girls and the whole texting/conversion game is foreign to me still. So any suggestions about how I should start up a conversion / flirt? Should I wait a day or something ?

Don't overthink it. Just say "hi", reference something in their profile, ask a question.

Worse. She won't respond to your reply

I was like :D
And then I was like :(

If anyone else wants to know their rating on okcupid, send me a pm.

...their rating? What's that?

---
This girl wants to meet up Wednesday and gave me her FB too. I declined the FB for now as I try to keep that private. I literally started talking to her yesterday for half an hour and proposed that I was more open to meeting for a casual chat over adding her on FB right away.

The only problem is...she's very religious lol. So much so that it seems like it'd be a deal-breaker, since she also seems very opinionated about..everything. Still, I wouldn't mind a chat.

I'm also suspicious to know if she's real or not.

There was this one girl who was eager to talk to me but I made her send a picture holding up a drawing to prove that she was real. I feel terrible about making her do that after she sent it, but I've also run into my share of fake profiles who were also eager to reply back.

Sami+

Welp, no pictures for me today. Been feeling really sick all day - caught a cold last night I guess, so I look like shit. Annoying, especially since I particularly liked my outfit today lol.

Edit - ... Fuck it, I'm in the library now anyway. Gonna go ahead and rent a camera for the next two days.

Top Bottom