• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

Jhoan

Even if people were willing to go out in this crazy cold, most are probably still broke from the holidays to go out.
Hahaha, that too. I'm trying to stretch out $200 so I don't end up with less than $50 to my name by the end of the month so I can have money saved over for the following month. Although I already blew $16.32 on a digital game. Gonna have to control the impulsive purchases. Dating woes.
so i met a girl on tinder, she seems really cool. she wants to grab coffee but says she can't go this weekend and we'll have to wait to the next. I'm not super into the "dating someone through text" thing and would rather get to know her in person, but I also dont want to go silent for a week and have her lose interest or forget.

any tips on maintaining her interest over the next week?
I would say to set a day/time in the following week ASAP if you haven't done so already and follow up with her the night before or the day of 3-5 hours before the meet up time to see if you guys are still on and fluff talk. You shouldn't really waste time asking all the big questions via text as you'll run out of things to talk about.

Salamando

Jeez, I came back in here to hopefully see good news, but it seems like all of us are having a bit of trouble...do you all think maybe it's the month/weather that is making the gems hide?

Lately all I have been getting on POF are guys telling me they would bend me over.......and nothing of actual substance. Has anyone had any real luck on Match? I want a serious relationship and POF has just become another in depth Tinder.

Maybe i need a change in my profile to spice it up a bit it seems really bland and generic so far, if anyone has any recommendations.

Dating world's been treating me pretty good. Had date #4 with a very beautiful girl today and I currently have that high you get from a really good date.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
so i met a girl on tinder, she seems really cool. she wants to grab coffee but says she can't go this weekend and we'll have to wait to the next. I'm not super into the "dating someone through text" thing and would rather get to know her in person, but I also dont want to go silent for a week and have her lose interest or forget.

any tips on maintaining her interest over the next week?
Find someone who will meet up sooner.

Piano

Banned
So I've been chatting with this girl on Tinder heavily over the past day. Last night I cut off the convo for a while because I was out with friends, who told me I should've already asked for her number.

When we got back to chatting this morning I told her I'd love to get drinks some time and gave my number. She texted me immediately and we went back and forth a few times. I asked at around 1pm of she wanted to get drinks tonight (again, trying not to waste time). She responded a few minutes later that an emergency situation had come up and she'd get back to me "in an hour", I told her okay, hope everything gets resolved and she responded.

Four hours later I hadnt heard anything and afternoon was turning to evening so I texted asking what the latest was. No response.

Any advice brothers? I was planning to just drop it. Maybe text her next weekend once. Maybe. Eh.

Most of my female friends are either in long term relationships or have been having their own dating woes lately so aren't the best at giving advice, I've found.

I definitely see how online dating is a big game.

kai3345

Banned
So I've been chatting with this girl on Tinder heavily over the past day. Last night I cut off the convo for a while because I was out with friends, who told me I should've already asked for her number.

When we got back to chatting this morning I told her I'd love to get drinks some time and gave my number. She texted me immediately and we went back and forth a few times. I asked at around 1pm of she wanted to get drinks tonight (again, trying not to waste time). She responded a few minutes later that an emergency situation had come up and she'd get back to me "in an hour", I told her okay, hope everything gets resolved and she responded.

Four hours later I hadnt heard anything and afternoon was turning to evening so I texted asking what the latest was. No response.

Any advice brothers? I was planning to just drop it. Maybe text her next weekend once. Maybe. Eh.

Most of my female friends are either in long term relationships or have been having their own dating woes lately so aren't the best at giving advice, I've found.

I definitely see how online dating is a big game.

lol breh if it was a real emergency, she prolly hasn't got time at the moment to be texting dudes she met on the internet. give her the benefit of the doubt and wait a day or two and then text her to see what's up. if she doesn't respond then, that's when you should probably move on

Piano

Banned
lol breh if it was a real emergency, she prolly hasn't got time at the moment to be texting dudes she met on the internet. give her the benefit of the doubt and wait a day or two and then text her to see what's up. if she doesn't respond then, that's when you should probably move on
True. She said she lost a flash drive with a shitload of her MA schoolwork. Stressful. Guess I'll text in a couple days to see if she found it.

SRG01

like me...except that I'm under 30. Getting oral sure was nice. I'm sure you're gonna reach knight status in no time. When that day comes, pop open the champagne bottles.

Wait, weren't you getting girls left and right off Tinder??

Jeez, I came back in here to hopefully see good news, but it seems like all of us are having a bit of trouble...do you all think maybe it's the month/weather that is making the gems hide?

Lately all I have been getting on POF are guys telling me they would bend me over.......and nothing of actual substance. Has anyone had any real luck on Match? I want a serious relationship and POF has just become another in depth Tinder.

Maybe i need a change in my profile to spice it up a bit it seems really bland and generic so far, if anyone has any recommendations.

Match does work, regardless of what anyone says about paid sites. It's a bit pricey though, but I think there are some free one-month promos that pop up once in a while?

True. She said she lost a flash drive with a shitload of her MA schoolwork. Stressful. Guess I'll text in a couple days to see if she found it.

Man, that sucks. That's why cloud storage is useful, even if it's just emailing yourself the documents.

Jhoan

Holy shit I'm drunk. Hopefully I'll get laid. God bless ya'll
May godspeed my good good drunken man and fortune smile upon you.
Wait, weren't you getting girls left and right off Tinder??
I was but unfortunately, I never made it past the first date with any of them either from a lack of interest on their end (about 60% of the time) or a lack of interest from my end (40% of the time). Many guys in this thread have had a ton more success.

My biggest achievement from Tinder was that one time fling; worst was walking away from sex with a 32 year old last month since I didn't find her physically attractive (besides this one girl that cried her whole life story to me about coming to the city). A bunch of others fizzled before ever meeting up via text. I also blew several opportunities and was oblivious to follow up on a few others.

All in all, I ended up meeting up with 7 girls from Tinder and two from OKC (they went nowhere either). Starting over for the new year, it feels like it's much harder now since I just keep getting bots left and right and the few girls that do respond haven't been enough to get a back and forth going.

Maybe this year, things will be different and I'll find myself going past my personal record of more than two dates with one girl. I haven't really clicked with any of the girls I've met and the few girls that I have, didn't have much of an interest in following up with me. I hope I don't blow it with this girl that I'm gonna meet with from OKC.

@Lone_Prodigy, it's fine. Let it out. Trust your gut in the end of the day and do what you think is best since it sounds like it's teetering.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I keep getting worse and worse bagels on cmb and when I do match they don't reply. One girl gave the worst answer possible to the opening question and I didnt even reply. She was an iffy "like" anyway. Something about pajamas being her favorite holiday memory.

Starting to just lose hope with all of this. Maybe paid is the way to go at this point, but I feel like ill just get the same stuff going on

turtle553

I keep getting worse and worse bagels on cmb and when I do match they don't reply. One girl gave the worst answer possible to the opening question and I didnt even reply. She was an iffy "like" anyway. Something about pajamas being her favorite holiday memory.

Starting to just lose hope with all of this. Maybe paid is the way to go at this point, but I feel like ill just get the same stuff going on

I was constantly being paired on CMB with people who lived two hours away and then offered to buy access to locals, so I just dropped the site last week. Although they were shown on Shark Tank this Friday, so users will probably spike.

gugi40

Hahaha, I do think the weather is definitely a factor as the weather in here in NYC has been hovering around the 15-30 degree Fahrenheit mark and numbing wind chills only make it feel ten times worse. We also got a foot of snow this past week but it's nothing. There's no reason to be outside as a result; it's definitely hibernating season. Although, I'm closing in on a date with a girl that I just messaged today on OKC as well messaging a few others. She liked me back 2 months ago so I looked her up today and the rest is history.

LMAO at the bending over messages! I'm shaking my head and chuckling at the same time. Guys really need to do better than that with the sexual innuendo messages. As for people having luck on Match, I'll refer you to DoktorEvil's post from the last page on his experience.

IIRC, I thought your profile was fine from the last time you posted it but if you tweaked it and want to post it again, then by all means do. You seem like a fun girl to go out with.
The weather is super mild in Vancouver right now just really dark which is miserable, so it might have a factor. The sexual messages are annoying and ineffective for me lol. Thanks for the link and I am glad that things are working out for you!
I barely tweaked it (added a sentence) so it might not be that great. And thanks, I try to be fun lol.

Dating world's been treating me pretty good. Had date #4 with a very beautiful girl today and I currently have that high you get from a really good date.
Thats awesome, made me feel better (secodn hand high!!!) lol.

Match does work, regardless of what anyone says about paid sites. It's a bit pricey though, but I think there are some free one-month promos that pop up once
Paid sites freak me out because they keep on charging you after you decide to quit, I am tempted to try it.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wow, so a girl messaged me. Pretty excited. Said she liked my profile.

We've been messaging a bit back-and-forth, just talking about interests and such. Not really sure where to go from here, I guess either one of us is gonna just stop responding when we run out of questions, or one of us will try and take things a bit further. Since she messaged me first, I have hope it won't fizzle out too easily on my end.

SRG01

I was but unfortunately, I never made it past the first date with any of them either from a lack of interest on their end (about 60% of the time) or a lack of interest from my end (40% of the time). Many guys in this thread have had a ton more success.

My biggest achievement from Tinder was that one time fling; worst was walking away from sex with a 32 year old last month since I didn't find her physically attractive (besides this one girl that cried her whole life story to me about coming to the city). A bunch of others fizzled before ever meeting up via text. I also blew several opportunities and was oblivious to follow up on a few others.

All in all, I ended up meeting up with 7 girls from Tinder and two from OKC (they went nowhere either). Starting over for the new year, it feels like it's much harder now since I just keep getting bots left and right and the few girls that do respond haven't been enough to get a back and forth going.

Maybe this year, things will be different and I'll find myself going past my personal record of more than two dates with one girl. I haven't really clicked with any of the girls I've met and the few girls that I have, didn't have much of an interest in following up with me. I hope I don't blow it with this girl that I'm gonna meet with from OKC.

Man, that sounds just like me in my late 20s. Lots of dates that went nowhere. I think the time of the year does make a difference, since springtime does mean people are getting out of their winter shells.

Paid sites freak me out because they keep on charging you after you decide to quit, I am tempted to try it.

Match has this really hilarious "Match Guarantee". Supposedly, a certain subscription tier gets renewed for free if you don't find a match, provided you apply for it of course.

Wow, so a girl messaged me. Pretty excited. Said she liked my profile.

We've been messaging a bit back-and-forth, just talking about interests and such. Not really sure where to go from here, I guess either one of us is gonna just stop responding when we run out of questions, or one of us will try and take things a bit further. Since she messaged me first, I have hope it won't fizzle out too easily on my end.
Keep asking her questions and try to make her laugh if you can. Once you feel ready ask her for those digits.

I just got hit up by two gorgeous chicks today. One on OKC and another, has more potential, from Tinder. The girl from Tinder has a passion for the same things as me and we clicked right away. Really interested on how things will play out. :)

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I have an OKC account, and there's been a troubling development lately: It keeps showing me men, even though I'm a straight male. What's worse, today I had a male visitor, which means it's also showing my profile to men. How do I put a stop to this?

Thinking about trying this at least once, but I have no confidence whatsoever.

Just try it out. Never know until you try.

I have an OKC account, and there's been a troubling development lately: It keeps showing me men, even though I'm a straight male. What's worse, today I had a male visitor, which means it's also showing my profile to men. How do I put a stop to this?

Did you accidentally put "Male looking for Men" ? Go to your profile and edit this info.

Foshy

Thinking about trying this at least once, but I have no confidence whatsoever.

Just try it out. Never know until you try

Just give it a go. There's nothing to lose really, just don't take it too personal if you won't get a lot of attention at first.

Yup, just go for it. I haven't been particularly successful yet either but it can be fun. If nothing else, at least you get to chat with new people.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

Did you accidentally put "Male looking for Men" ? Go to your profile and edit this info.
No, male looking for women. But lately there have been men mixed in with my results. I've blocked some and that seems to have helped, but it's still happening.

I remember I was getting visits from bisexual women and realized my filters were "women who like men" without specifying "straight".

Visits from men might mean you posted your profile link somewhere or they're being linked by someone. I wouldn't get too concerned about it since they're not messaging you.

Came across a profile with professional model photos and a link to her Twitter/Instagram. The bottom of her profile:

You should message me if
Your Awesome!

Malvingt2

Well... a couple of girls liked me but never respond my messages.. So this is going to be my last week with OkCupid if this continue.. It is a waste of time for me.

Is there a polite way of telling someone to go steady with the texts? Basically I'm texting this girl I'm supposed to be going out with on Saturday for a drink with. I've got no problem texting before going out but it appears If I read her message (we're using Whatsapp) and don't reply she'll keep texting me until I do reply.

It's kinda getting on my nerves and giving off crazy vibes.

davepoobond

Is there a polite way of telling someone to go steady with the texts? Basically I'm texting this girl I'm supposed to be going out with on Saturday for a drink with. I've got no problem texting before going out but it appears If I read her message (we're using Whatsapp) and don't reply she'll keep texting me until I do reply.

It's kinda getting on my nerves and giving off crazy vibes.

Just don't reply. Turn off notifications.

Just give it a go. There's nothing to lose really, just don't take it too personal if you won't get a lot of attention at first.

Yup, just go for it. I haven't been particularly successful yet either but it can be fun. If nothing else, at least you get to chat with new people.

Okay, will definitely give it a go and see how things turn out. Just curious as to how everything will go, although I will still be nervous as hell.

BokehKing

Banned
After years of online dating, and tons of one night stands, I finally found the one... Or so I thought... She wanted to take it slow.. Real alow, but there was something different about her so i was ok with it.

We texted everyday at first, then got her to talk on the phone, we became Facebook friends

GAF I was her first online guy, her last real boyfriend verbally and mentally abused the shit out of her, one of her friends got raped by an online date, the cards were stacked against me.

It took us 2 months to hang out the first time, I touched it out and gave her fears of meeting the benefit of the doubt despite all my instincts telling me "no, this is wrong" I mean, she is beautiful and kind, loves animals, doesn't care about my e-cigarette habit and has the stance of "guys play video games, no big deal"

To cut this story short, we have been dating for months now, everything is great and normal, online dating.... Finally worked for me

davepoobond

Doesn't make a difference, woke up this morning and she had sent me another 6 texts. I'm pretty sure if I don't want to pursue things after Saturday I'm gonna have to block her.

does seem a bit odd. no idea what's up with that, then.

After years of online dating, and tons of one night stands, I finally found the one... Or so I thought... She wanted to take it slow.. Real alow, but there was something different about her so i was ok with it.

We texted everyday at first, then got her to talk on the phone, we became Facebook friends

GAF I was her first online guy, her last real boyfriend verbally and mentally abused the shit out of her, one of her friends got raped by an online date, the cards were stacked against me.

It took us 2 months to hang out the first time, I touched it out and gave her fears of meeting the benefit of the doubt despite all my instincts telling me "no, this is wrong" I mean, she is beautiful and kind, loves animals, doesn't care about my e-cigarette habit and has the stance of "guys play video games, no big deal"

To cut this story short, we have been dating for months now, everything is great and normal, online dating.... Finally worked for me

sounds great. except for the abuse and rape parts.

So... when someone disappears from OKC and it says they've removed the account, you've just been blocked right? Too bad after 25 messages talking and when looking the next day they're gone.

Well... on to the next one then.

davepoobond

So... when someone disappears from OKC and it says they've removed the account, you've just been blocked right? Too bad after 25 messages talking and when looking the next day they're gone.

Well... on to the next one then.

I think when it says they removed the account its actually closed as opposed to being blocked. If you are blocked it looks different, I think.

I think when it says they removed the account its actually closed as opposed to being blocked. If you are blocked it looks different, I think.
Hm... she was complaining about the amount of creeps before heading of to bed, and telling me it was a nice chat and I'm not one of them. Well, not that there is anything I can do about it anyway now.

Annoying thing is, she's also on POF and I sent her a message there earlier which was never read (the Windows Phone app of POF gives you the paid features for free on the meet me and read things if anyone is interested). Maybe she'll get back to me there, we'll see.

stn

Hm... she was complaining about the amount of creeps before heading of to bed, and telling me it was a nice chat and I'm not one of them. Well, not that there is anything I can do about it anyway now.

Annoying thing is, she's also on POF and I sent her a message there earlier which was never read (the Windows Phone app of POF gives you the paid features for free on the meet me and read things if anyone is interested). Maybe she'll get back to me there, we'll see.
I'd be very surprised if this works out. If a girl likes you would she cut your main avenue of communication without leaving a number or some other way to reach her? Also, a girl who talks about "many creeps and you not being one of them" means quite a few things. Its a subconscious, unique way of saying you're a "nice guy", which is code for someone she likes talking to but has no interest in banging. Also, its never good when a girl talks to you about other guys. Even in a negative context.

My best guess is that she'll see your POF message and think you're a creep for finding her there. As I said, I'll be very surprised if this works out for you. Keep us posted!

I'd be very surprised if this works out. If a girl likes you would she cut your main avenue of communication without leaving a number or some other way to reach her? Also, a girl who talks about "many creeps and you not being one of them" means quite a few things. Its a subconscious, unique way of saying you're a "nice guy", which is code for someone she likes talking to but has no interest in banging. Also, its never good when a girl talks to you about other guys. Even in a negative context.

My best guess is that she'll see your POF message and think you're a creep for finding her there. As I said, I'll be very surprised if this works out for you. Keep us posted!
Oh, I don't really mind. I don't get invested in it, but was just wondering. Agree with you though, so not expecting anything. I didn't sent the POF message after this though, but just a normal opening message from like a week ago. Would probably still look creepy :p

Got some other chats going and a few numbers, so OKC has been pretty alright for me.

Well, to argue the alternative...

Nope, can't say that I can. You win this round. Congrats, by the way!

woodchuck

I think once you have the understanding that some things are just left out of your control or that things just aren't meant to be, online dating becomes a lot less frustrating.

Went on a couple coffee meets bagel dates with this girl. Definitely relationship material. I thought we had great chemistry. We made out a little after the second date. We had a 3rd date scheduled but I got sick and had to reschedule. Now she's acting kind of distant and less interested. I think I lost momentum or she found someone else. All because I got sick and missed out on thst third date.

Oh well. It wasn't meant to be. On to the next one.

BIGWORM

Wow, so lady friend that I stopped seeing gave her friend my number and told her I was a nice guy. Had a nice dinner, Starbucks, and "movies" back at my place.

Thank you...??

jadedm17

Anyone have experience dating someone with an odd name? A really cool girl messages me on okc and we talked for a while on the phone: Good chemistry, funny, sweet, etc. Saying goodnight her name - I thought she said Heather - is actually Feather. This is truly uncharted territory for me : Hardly a big deal but certainly odd.

Wow, so lady friend that I stopped seeing gave her friend my number and told her I was a nice guy. Had a nice dinner, Starbucks, and "movies" back at my place.

Thank you...??

That's another perk of having fun female friends.

gugi40

Match has this really hilarious "Match Guarantee". Supposedly, a certain subscription tier gets renewed for free if you don't find a match, provided you apply for it of course.
Haha if I applied I would have a permanently free subscription since last time i "tested" it the damn thing kept matching me with guys that WANT kids as if that doesnt ever play a part in a relationship.

Chariot

Welp. Made an tinder and an okcupid account. Not getting any responses is clawing at my happiness. I think I make a new profile picture tomorrow, me staring lifeless in the camera wasn't maybe the best thing I could do.

Welp. Made an tinder and an okcupid account. Not getting any responses is clawing at my happiness. I think I make a new profile picture tomorrow, me staring lifeless in the camera wasn't maybe the best thing I could do.

Yep, really can't be stressed enough that photos are by far the most important part of an online dating profile. I would be lying if I said I read girls profiles and expect most women don't either. I mean my photos aren't "bad" but I know they could be a lot better.

I am actually thinking of going the professional photographer route. I looked online and in my local area there are quite a few photographers. You go to their house/studio and they basically photograph you for an hour and you pick the best ones. These people are pros, so they know all about lighting, angles etc. Its amazing what a difference all this can make.

I posted a while back about a girl that was stalking me. Well, she stopped after I confronted her when she turned up at my work (for the second time)..I pulled her away so I could talk to her privately and she full on broke down, telling me all about her fucked up childhood (and it was really fucked up!). I mean I have a heart and did feel sorry for her but she really was using it as an excuse, as if what she did to me was ok because of this. I hooked up with her once, so I really had no right knowing all this stuff. I don't do the AdultMatchMaker thing anymore, I am just sticking to POF from now on.

Well just had a date fall through for the first time. Was talking non stop with her since last Friday and set up a date for tonight. Just an hour before we were supposed to meet, she cancels. Had high hopes for this one.

megamerican

Dutifully noted, thanks. Which one specifically? The one where I'm holding a beer or or sitting? The former was usually a hit on Tinder before I took a break from it and returned since I guess girls love the quasi-Average Joe/beer ad look.

Haha sorry for the long delay but definitely the one with the beer. Good shot that looks very natural and not staged.

davepoobond

Well just had a date fall through for the first time. Was talking non stop with her since last Friday and set up a date for tonight. Just an hour before we were supposed to meet, she cancels. Had high hopes for this one.

Did she suggest a new time to meet? If not, she's definitely not interested.

Dobsie

So I've been on tinder for a while now, racked up quite a few matches but haven't really spoke to anyone due to confidence issues/ being shy. Would it be weird for me to start chatting to people months after I've matched with them?

Top Bottom