• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opinion: The Order 1886 deserves* a sequel

Jobbs

Banned
I liked the raw spectacle of the graphics and the promise of the cool setting, but holy shit did they squander the potential.

It's a game about monsters and werewolves and vampires, but you pretty much almost only fight generic human soldier dudes. Ugh.

Here's how they SHOULD have done it: mostly human fights for the first act of the game, so the first 1/3 or so, with some mention of werewolves and maybe a sighting or two but no direct engagement.

Then... second act and holy shit, werewolves! everything's different now! these fuckers are tough and scary!

then maybe a third act with vampires who have super powers and shit!

but alas.

I completely lost interest when the realistic looking materials lost the realistic physics that was originally promised. That was long before the reviews.

antitrop

Since I've been non-stop shitting on this game for over a year, I figure I might as well say what I actually feel it did well and what I did like about it.

- The graphics, obviously
- Atmosphere
- Story concept
- Incredible sound design and voice acting
- A few memorably creative weapons (that can't be mentioned without saying how little use they get)
- Marquis de Lafayette (a clichéd character, but a likeable cliché)

vaibhavp

its a shooting game. dunno what people were expecting. i have not played it but intend to when i get ps4

but i agree paying full price for game like this is not a good idea imo.

Gaogaogao

"deserves" is strong, games that are made under the assumption that there will be a sequel are really lame.

a sequel might have potential to not suck if they listen, though

antitrop

its a shooting game. dunno what people were expecting.

MORE SHOOTING

Or less shooting, the story could have worked in a different genre. Galahad's violent streak feels extremely forced as it is, when there's as much of an emphasis on the story and context as there is in this game.

For a game about Werewolves, Galahad sure kills a lot of generic rebel filler guys.

It's a game with conflicting parts. On the one hand, you have the makings of a possibly interesting TPS. The mechanics aren't super great, and the AI is braindead, but the game has potential on that front. The weapons were unique and varied enough to keep me intrigued. In fact, I actually enjoyed myself when I was shooting, even if it seemed a bit too much like a shooting gallery because of the dumb AI. But there's not enough of it!

On the other hand, you have the makings of a cinematic, story-heavy, QTE-heavy game. The problem with this part is that RAD has no idea what makes these games interesting. There's such a lack of choice and agency in these sections that they add nothing to the experience. Then there's so many of them that they just overwhelm the rest of the game. If they went full-in on the "adventure game" and went in the vein of games like Life is Strange, we could have a much more interesting game on our hands.

If they're going to do a sequel, they need to figure out which part to focus on, and I do think they must pick. They deserve a chance at a sequel if they're going to take the critique to heart. Otherwise they can mosey on and leave me alone.

El-Suave

You'd fight an uphill battle selling a sequel when the first game was as widely and badly panned as The Order was. It's a shame really. You could compare it to Lair on the PS3 which also would have been a great concept for a franchise.

I completely lost interest when the realistic looking materials lost the realistic physics that was originally promised. That was long before the reviews.

Were such physics ever promised though? I think that was some GAF over-hype due to second hand knowledge and not from the horse's mouth.

I noticed you didn't mention gameplay. I think that is the problem with the GAME.

While gameplay goes a long way its not the be all end all. Telltale games are fantastic games (to lots of people) but they have atrocious gameplay. The gameplay of the Order isn't horrible and most likely of the gunfights I found to be quite fun. I just don't get how games like the wolf among us can get away with a horrible game engine and shitty gameplay but the order is chastised for it. It's no gears of war but what is so fucking bad about the gameplay of the order?

virtualS

We probably won't get a sequel thanks to the last gen gameplay brigade (whatever the hell that means) and the black bars morons.

Shame, loved the atmosphere and enjoyed its last gen gameplay quite a bit.

While gameplay goes a long way its not the be all end all. Telltale games are fantastic games (to lots of people) but they have atrocious gameplay. The gameplay of the Order isn't horrible and most likely of the gunfights I found to be quite fun. I just don't get how games like the wolf among us can get away with a horrible game engine and shitty gameplay but the order is chastised for it. It's no gears of war but what is so fucking bad about the gameplay of the order?
The thing is that Telltale games and other similar adventures games know what they are. They are firmly story-drive adventure games following the heritage of P&C games that many of us grew up with. The gameplay of those games aren't "bad," they're intentionally simple. And they succeed in their intent.

The problem with The Order is that it tries to marry cinematic story-telling with a shooter. And fails miserably at it. It's a pretty poor shooter and it has pretty poor storytelling sensibilities. It doesn't succeed at anything it tries to do and drowns itself in mediocrity by not committing to itself.

Jobbs

Banned
[on player choice] "All I could do before was choose whether or not I wanted to run, I can't even do that now!" Classic.

Allforce

I enjoyed my time with it. While short it laid the groundwork for a great universe and some interesting speculation for a sequel. No matter how you view the business aspect of it it was a well made game and Sony is probably the one company who would commit to a sequel despite the sales numbers. I'm pretty sure at the end of the day it made money for them and it only has room to grow as a franchise.

There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!

Story was good, but it needs to stop pretending to be a tps. Just make it and adventure title like Until Dawn, Detroit, teltale games, etc and be done with it

Zerin

Yes! We need a sequel desperately. This is the franchise that has the most untapped potential of this generation IMO. Imagine a second game featuring:
- 2-3 hour longer campaign
- a co-op mode for a few hours
- online MP
- interesting world more fleshed out
- better use of boss fights
- enemy encounter to be a bit more interesting, it felt like a last gen game in this regard

The guns feel good, atmosphere is one of the best out there, VA is top notch, characters are all interesting and the world is ripe with intrigue (Tesla needs more screen time), music is great, graphics are still the best, and theme/concept is very unique.

Great DLC ideas for the first title.

Plague Doctor

Gold Member
So is the story great, or is it awful?

It's nothing to write home about but I have played far worse that did not get as much flack and hyperbole. With that said, the Order's flaws, for me, are more apparent because of its graphical presentation being stellar and it has a good idea somewheres lost deep into the mix. The fact it never comes close to the promise is the heartbreak.

As for the topic: Make the individual level design less linear, polish the storyline/world building more, make the campaign longer, and (can't believe I am saying this) add an open world dimension where you can pick missions (optional and story) across a city map and there is potential there.

The thing is that Telltale games and other similar adventures games know what they are. They are firmly story-drive adventure games following the heritage of P&C games that many of us grew up with. The gameplay of those games aren't "bad," they're intentionally simple. And they succeed in their intent.

The problem with The Order is that it tries to marry cinematic story-telling with a shooter. And fails miserably at it. It's a pretty poor shooter and it has pretty poor storytelling sensibilities. It doesn't succeed at anything it tries to do and drowns itself in mediocrity by not committing to itself.

I feel like it succeeded at being one of the best looking games ever made. the shooting isn't THAT bad. I get some people might not like it but good lord I just don't understand the hate. Especially when telltale keeps shitting out games with awful gameplay but people are cool with it cuz its tell tale everyone expecrsshitty gameplay from them. Why did the haters have such high expectations for the gameplay of The Order?

Were such physics ever promised though? I think that was some GAF over-hype due to second hand knowledge and not from the horse's mouth.

Well I found this: http://www.el33tonline.com/post/201...ced-physics-system-revealed-at-gamescom-2013/

Ru spent most of the session talking about how The Order: 1886 uses a revolutionary physics system which allows individual objects and its constituent materials to be realistically broken up or deformed ad infinitum. During his presentation the audience was treated to two live prototype gameplay demonstrations (running on a PC with PS4-approximate specs) showing these features in action, and also demonstrating how objects in the environment such as flags are affected by the physical forces associated with a particular environment (in this case wind). Each of the three flags we saw in the second demo fluttered independently of each other, seemingly affected by their position in relation to the wind.

Lorcain

If they do a sequel they need to nail the pacing right from the start. The slow QTE intro was awful. They need to dump QTEs in general for a sequel.

It should be a game developer cardinal sin to have instant fail mandatory stealth levels. Especially if the game isn't marketed as a stealth based game. No more of that.

I liked Galahad and would like to see what happens next in the story. For a sequel they need to ramp up the supernatural combat encounters with less of the run of the mill cover based shooting gallery stuff. They had some cool weapons, but they were wasted on encounters with rebels and company men.

I'd actually be perfectly happy with less impressive graphics if it meant better gameplay, no QTEs, and better enemy encounters.

No. The bad press the first game would impart on any sequel would handicap its potential for success. It'd be much better to use the tech but on a new IP.

I liked it and would definitely like to see a sequel but I would like greater focus on the gameplay, and a multiplayer component.

I don't think RAD did a bad job at all. For comparison, I enjoyed the order more than I enjoyed Uncharted Drakes Fortune, but less than the first Gears of War.

I feel like it succeeded at being one of the best looking games ever made. the shooting isn't THAT bad. I get some people might not like it but good lord I just don't understand the hate. Especially when telltalekeeps shitting out games with awful gameplay.
Whoopie. It looks nice. Looking pretty shouldn't really be a game's main focus. Aesthetics have to serve the game. Especially when you're ostensibly trying to put a TPS into the game. I mean hell, the game is trying to ape the aesthetics of cinema and it doesn't even get what makes cinema great.

As a note, I agree. The shooting itself isn't that bad. It's rather fun really. The problem is that every bit of context around the mechanic of shooting is total dogcrap. There's just not enough of it, it's interrupted too much, the fighting areas are too small and the AI is braindead.

Telltale's games don't have awful gameplay. They have stylized simple gameplay like most adventure games, and admittedly they probably do need to up their standard in a post Life is Strange world. Even if we accept your claim that they're full of "awful" gameplay, they get a pass because they tell generally competent narratives with engaging ideas. Tales from the Borderlands came out this year and is a wayyyyyyyy better game than The Order. I mean similarly, from a "gameplay" perspectives, VN's are simple as can be. But they get a "pass" on their gameplay because they're about stories.

LukasF

I would love to see a sequel that made up its mind about what 1886 is supposed to be, one way or the other:

Game-focus? Do as most folks here suggested and create much more depth to the combat, eliminate gameplay-ish action from cutscenes and shorten them considerably, no QTEs, and branching level design with actual rewards for going off the beaten path. Charge $40 and greatly expand the scope, length, gameplay elements. Charge $60 and you'll need a damn good design for multiplayer and/or co-op.

Narrative-focus? Follow the Until Dawn / Life Is Strange model. Branching story, people can die if you're not careful. Also, still needs branching level design with actual rewards for going off the beaten path. Charge only $15 and call it episodic.

FWIW I would love it if they could pull off the latter, making a Life Is Strange type title but with these high production values, cost only $15 an episode and such. The economics might not work out though, especially considering some folks are so angry at the original that they took the time to read and respond to this thread just to blast it. Unlikely they'll get a fresh 2nd chance with such a risky release strategy and a notorious IP.

To the point where I actually and actively want it to be forgotten haha. I already regret clicking on this thread and engaging it's fans.

Fun irony: The exceptionally loud hatred for this title is part of why it'll be remembered for a long while. So many people point to this title with one agenda or another, either seeing it as a pinnacle of console graphics/presentation or as an effigy of inexcusably bad design and modern-AAA-development sins. Folks will continue to compare new titles to 1886 in various ways as well, positively or negatively. The IP might be retired, but 1886 isn't going away for at least a little while.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
There should be space in the video game business to make products which are targeted to excel in the visual presentation so they can be judged on those merits alone. Why should such visual masterpieces be tied down by expectation of people who do not understand the true goals of the product. I read many fans wanting to pick this game up based on how it looks so is there no rating system that protects the desires of said fans to be able to take pride in their purchases and know they're receiving a top-rated visual experience without it being dirtied by the expectation of people who don't appreciate the goes of presentation the product has set for itself? I don't know man... I just feel for people who are getting bummed out by these reviews and treated like what they want from the product is a mediocre gaming experience when what they want is in fact an excellent visual experience. If a game says its a platformer then we shouldn't attack it for not being a RTS and in the same right, if a game says its visually stunning then we shouldn't attack it for gameplay. People are even recommending not to purchase this game hence victimizing people who pre-ordered it. Its rather insensitive to come out and tell people not to buy something they've put money towards... AFTER THE FACT. No one likes to be judged for their purchasing decisions so this judgmental atmosphere at the very least seems rather anti-consumer. Aren't media supposed to be on the consumer's side? Finally on the idea that the product is too short... a good product should leave you wanting more. Like when people say you've overeaten when you feel bloated and you should stop eating when you feel you are about to get full.. in essence, you should be wanting more before you stop eating; this is the proper way. Overeating will make you obese and there's nothing good about that so why are we trying to promote over-gaming like its something healthy. The Order should be commended for not piling on the fat with unnecessary content, variety, game length and extra modes and collectable. It cares about the consumer's gaming health. Judged based on its visual fidelity and respect for consumer health, I'd give the order a 9.7 out of 10 but Metacritic won't carry my review on the "reviewer" section so I'll leave it here and I ask journalist to be kinder with their review. We need more products like the order. Dare I say it... I'd like to The Order another one of these!

slow-clap-gif.gif

wow so funy

RaidenXZ

I just beat the Order right now (literally watching the credits) and I absolutely loved it. Ya it was short but I love what it was. I thought the story and characters were great and the action was awesome as well! Really set it up for sequels. Would love to play more of this series!

Narrative-focus? Follow the Until Dawn / Life Is Strange model. Branching story, people can die if you're not careful. Also, still needs branching level design with actual rewards for going off the beaten path. Charge only $15 and call it episodic.
I keep forgetting Until Dawn exists. That's a viable option. Create a title of UD's scope/style and maybe reduce the cost to $40 instead of UD's $60.

If they want to go the cinematic route, they definitely need to take some lessons from Supermassive. Those are some people who actually understand cinema.

Exodust

Banned
Fun irony: The exceptionally loud hatred for this title is part of why it'll be remembered for a long while. So many people point to this title with one agenda or another, either seeing it as a pinnacle of console graphics/presentation or as an effigy of inexcusably bad design and modern-AAA-development sins. Folks will continue to compare new titles to 1886 in various ways as well, positively or negatively. The IP might be retired, but 1886 isn't going away for at least a little while.

You're right. Guess I'll be talking about this mediocre game for a long time whether I like it or not.

Said it before and I'll say it again. The Order 1946 or something along those lines is a perfect sequel that writes itself. When you think of the off the wall rumors of the Nazis exploring the occult and Alan Turin replacing Nikola Tesla it's all there. ALL THERE!

xRaizen

I found the story and the universe surrounding it to be so damn boring that I ended up not giving two shits about any of the characters or what happened to them. To me, that's the biggest sin a cinematic game can commit, so much so that I have zero interest in seeing a sequel.
The game was so boring it was making me sleepy. Only one other game has done that this gen; Killzone Shadowfall.

nib95

Banned
I would love a sequel, and I actually think it'd be very easy to improve the game from a design standpoint. The fundamentals are pretty solid. It controls great, the gunplay is satisfying and competent, the cover system functional, the animations fluid etc. The biggest issues were far too much exposition (limiting player control), repeated bosses, and most of all, too few actual gunfights. If The Order 1886 just had another 30%-40% more gunfights, in a few more creative arenas or locales, it could have been massively improved. But instead they underutilised one of its greatest achievements, decent weapon feedback and gunplay, along with some genuinely interesting weapons.

I agree that it deserves a sequel only to see it elevated beyond what was presented. In video games most sequels learn from the flaws of the original. I prefer AC2 over AC1. I prefer Killzone 2 over the first. So on and so forth. I am of the mind that because what was shown offered so much potential a sequel would have shown if the devs were good enough to learn from mistakes and tackle crit head on. sadly it seems as if RAD has moved on so....... hand the project to Naughty Dog and see what they can do with it.

The game was so boring it was making me sleepy. Only one other game has done that this gen; Killzone Shadowfall.

Another game that i consider good, but minor design choices made the game feel like a chore.

slow-clap-gif.gif

wow so funy

The fact that it gets so much hate is a testament to the artistic nature of this product. It's fresh and provocative and has the attention of people and is able to drive much discourse where people have plenty of interesting and varied perspectives on the matter. It's further proof of excellence in my opinion. My only regret is that people do not realize they are also apart of the performance piece hence fail to judge themselves as part of the work. I would never give myself a 4/10... I love myself too much to be that derisive to me as a work of art and I respect all the people who helped move me forward in live to where I am today. I honestly believe that instead of such nihilistic perspective on the product but taking a more holistic perspective would allow people to see themselves in this product and perhaps yield much different opinions ad assessments.

Ultimately art speaks to each differently but we have to be willing to listing and since will as an internal process, I have no choice but to respect everyone's perspective on the product even if I strongly feel otherwise.

Whoopie. It looks nice. Looking pretty shouldn't really be a game's main focus. Aesthetics have to serve the game. Especially when you're ostensibly trying to put a TPS into the game. I mean hell, the game is trying to ape the aesthetics of cinema and it doesn't even get what makes cinema great.

As a note, I agree. The shooting itself isn't that bad. It's rather fun really. The problem is that every bit of context around the mechanic of shooting is total dogcrap. There's just not enough of it, it's interrupted too much, the fighting areas are too small and the AI is braindead.

Telltale's games don't have awful gameplay. They have stylized simple gameplay like most adventure games, and admittedly they probably do need to up their standard in a post Life is Strange world. Even if we accept your claim that they're full of "awful" gameplay, they get a pass because they tell generally competent narratives with engaging ideas. Tales from the Borderlands came out this year and is a wayyyyyyyy better game than The Order. I mean similarly, from a "gameplay" perspectives, VN's are simple as can be. But they get a "pass" on their gameplay because they're about stories.

Why so negative?

The Order is art and the price of admission into the gallery is simply $60. I couldn't fathom actively telling others not to experience a work of art themselves and form their own opinions but instead listen to my opinion on it so they can save $60.

I would be a criminal robbing someone of culture, education and enlightenment... it's literally colonialism of the mind. How is that good?

diamount

Banned
Sure, but it's gameplay needs to be completely different. It's a modern looking game that feels like it was made 10 years earlier.

*let me preface by clarifying that being deemed deserving follows more than the criteria of being critically and commercially successful. Case in point, Killzone 1 -> Killzone 2.

That being said, I just went back to fetch the last few collectable trophies; this time I played the game knowing full well what was coming and I've found myself enjoying it quite a bit more due to a number of reasons:

1. The writing:

While the plot in under cooked and feels rushed, the dialogue between characters is convincing and authentic. It really feels like people from Victorian London exchanging words, which leads into my next reason.

2. The art direction and world building:

This game can't get enough praise for this. The misty cobblestone slums of Whitechapel, the wrought iron and stonework of Mayfair, the brassy, leathery, wooden lab of Tesla. Everything is brimming with authenticity and tangible atmosphere. From the newspaper articles setting the state of affairs in alternate history London, the sounds of people going about town, the solemnity of the Knights and their role in that society. That, which also brings me to my next point. But before...

2a. Man, this fucking graphics engine:

The rendering techniques used to achieve the look and feel of each different material is fucking sublime. Goddamn. It goes a looong way making blasting fools feel fantastic. It really feels like I'm riddling bodies with lead, or mangling flesh and cloth with a coach gun, or frying fuckers with a lightning bolt.

3. There's a lot of lore to tap into:

The Knights obviously weren't a bunch of Van Helsing's, they had access to better weaponry and thus more apt to fight half breeds but that wasn't their sole reason for existence, or if it was, it's still not clear. They were still slave to bureaucracy and politics which made me stop and wonder whether they were actually hunters and persecutors, or more along the lines of protectors and mitigators of nobility and the regular people.
EDIT: In essence, the events of 1886 mark a period of change for the Knights of the Order, a time during which the core principles and duties of the same were being shaken and forced to adapt, as opposed to merely being a run of the mill mission for a group of monster hunters.

Needless to say, I really, really want an expanded sequel to this IP that dives deeper into the lore and obviously jacks up the gameplay and longevity.

Sony would be wise to give it the Killzone 2 treatment, cause there is just so much potential here.

Guerrilla Games had a lot of great gameplay ideas (first person cover, good AI, good mp player classes and warzone) and they executed most of them in Killzone 2.

RAD didn't have any good gameplay ideas, in fact they didn't even know how to implement existing ideas in a competent way.

In the end the gameplay sucks, that's what killed the sequel and whatever hope there was for a sequel, they didn't know how to put together a half way decent third person shooter even after Naughty Dog showed it to them with TLOU.

pezley

Banned
No, the game was pants. Looks great in screenshots but hated it in movement. There's a bit early on in the game where you have to climb a ledge, stopping you from going the other direction across a bridge is a rope... yes a rope. No animation, just an invisible wall dressed up as a rope.

Great graphics do not make great game design.

Why so negative?

The Order is art and the price of admission into the gallery is simply $60. I couldn't fathom actively telling others not to experience a work of art themselves and form their own opinions but instead listen to my opinion on it so they can save $60.

I would be a criminal robbing someone of culture, education and enlightenment... it's literally colonialism of the mind. How is that good?
This is possibly one of the dumbest replies ever addressed to me on GAF.

In case you're somehow serious: Why so negative? Because if The Order is being compared to a gallery, it's a really overpriced and mediocre gallery. I could get into a real art gallery full of competent art for a third of the cost.

Why must every game be forced into some narrow genre box of your devising? What total fascist nonsense.

Top Bottom