• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

|OT| Pacquio vs Marquez III (11/12/11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

parasight

I'm a huge Manny fanboy but I knew going into this fight it was going to be a tough battle. I figured he'd edge it out like he did in the second fight and come out with the close win. But this was a pretty clear win for Marquez. His shots had more impact and he had Pacquiao dazed (even if only for a millisecond) a couple times. Really disappointed that it seems Pac's decline is beginning. I've always had Mayweather as the big favorite if they ever did matchup and the Marquez trilogy has pretty much certified this.

TheNatural

My Member!
Ninja Scooter said:
The high profile PPVs suck now. Guys are fighting for paychecks, not titles. But there are still plenty of great fights and fighters around. The Kirkland fight from last week, for example.

I'll stick to Friday Night Fights when it comes back in season in January. Two no name guys fighting for probably a few hundred bucks put on is still the fight of the year between Rodriguez and Wolak back this summer.

From Kieran Mulvaney's Twitter:
Pacquiao landed 176 of 578 punches - 30 percent
Marquez landed 138 of 436 punches - 32 percent
Power punches: Pacquiao 117 of 274 (43 percent) Marquez 100 of 254 (39 percent)
Average per round: Pacquiao 14 of 49; Marquez 11 of 36.

Buzzati

Banned
How did Manny not win? He won punches landed, he was the lead aggressor with more initiations. There was a headbuttpenalty against Marquez. And the rounds clearly added up to a majority vote win for Pacquiao. You guys drinking the cool aid?

TheNatural said:
I'll stick to Friday Night Fights when it comes back in season in January. Two no name guys fighting for probably a few hundred bucks put on is still the fight of the year between Rodriguez and Wolak back this summer.

My dad raised me on Tuesday Night Fights back in the day. Sean O'Grady=GOAT commentator.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
plainr_ said:
Health risks.

Boo hoo, throw the towel.

BTW why is heavy weight no longer popular? I never hear about heavy-weight boxing.

Buzzati said:
How did Manny not win? He won punches landed, he was the lead aggressor with more initiations. There was a headbuttpenalty against Marquez. And the rounds clearly added up to a majority vote win for Pacquiao. You guys drinking the cool aid?

1) If punches landed was all that decided the winner, there wouldn't need to be judges.

2) There was no head butt penalty. Next time do a little research.

The M.O.B

facepalm007 said:
From Kieran Mulvaney's Twitter:

The matter is how clean and powerful those punches were, Pac will always land more simply because he has the stamina to throw 1000 punches a night if he needs to.

Purexed

Banned
GAF is in major hive mind mode right now, I'll come back tomorrow when the irrationality tones down. Pacman won a close and competitive fight.

parasight

Numbers don't tell the whole story. Marquez was landing effective, hard punches that clearly had an effect on Pacquiao looking at his slow mo reactions. Can't say the same the other way around.

JLG- said:
Close fight again. Could've gone either way, i felt Marquez should've got the nod. there where times were Marquez was making Manny look foolish.

His side step was legendary tonight. Damn was that an execution of a gameplan or what?! He did everything he could have been asked to do...

Ferny said:
LOL all those that are giving Mayweather the win over Pac based on this fight are crazy. This is the third fight so these guys know each other very well in the ring. Just because he had trouble with Marquez doesn't mean Mayweather will walk all over Pacquio.

I personally have NEVER bought into the "A beats B, but C beats B worst so C beats A" shit.

Pac-fans are the ones that have been trying to use this argument. "OMG Floyd beat Hatton but Manny DESTROYED him. Floyd beat Da La Hoya but Manny DESTROYED him"...fuck all that crap.

No Maywether fans should be thinking that Floyds easy win over Pacs kryptonite means much either.

I do, and have for some time, believe that Floyd wins because he's simply better and I don't believe that Pac is going to break down his defense nor do I believe that his "punches in bunches" is going to hold up against Floyds right hands. And we all just saw what happened when he tried to actually box....

Man, you people with this "boxing is dead/boxing sucks" BS stfu. Judges decision aside, Pac-Marquez was a great match, and this was a pretty good night for boxing... Prescott-Alvarado on the undercard was a great fight.

Teddman

parasight said:
Numbers don't tell the whole story. Marquez was landing effective, hard punches that clearly had an effect on Pacquiao looking at his slow mo reactions. Can't say the same the other way around.
Depends on your judging philosophy. If it's a decision, the numbers are a big factor.

Punches that have an effect tend to result in a KO.

Buzzati

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
1) If punches landed was all that decided the winner, there wouldn't need to be judges.

2) There was no head butt penalty. Next time do a little research.

He was tacitly penalized by the judges and lost that round bc of it. Initiated punches thrown matter especially when the punches landed percent for both fighters are similar. Do some research? Haha.

tm24

Ether_Snake said:

BTW why is heavy weight no longer popular? I never hear about heavy-weight boxing.
No american heavyweights. Still popular around the world

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ferny said:
LOL all those that are giving Mayweather the win over Pac based on this fight are crazy. This is the third fight so these guys know each other very well in the ring. Just because he had trouble with Marquez doesn't mean Mayweather will walk all over Pacquio.

There is a reason Manny is never in there with boxers. Why put him in there with one of the most gifted of all time. Floyd would have Manny figured out by round 4 and here we go with the right straights to Manny's face, repeatedly.

Roofles at Steward saying now he knows Mayweather would be Pacquiao.

Buzzati said:
He was tacitly penalized by the judges and lost that round bc of it. Initiated punches thrown matter especially when the punches landed percent for both fighters are similar. Do some research? Haha.

You don't get penalized for accidental headbutts. WTF are you talking about?

ZoddGutts

Buzzati said:

?

Star Power said:
Man, you people with this "boxing is dead/boxing sucks" BS stfu. Judges decision aside, Pac-Marquez was a great match, and this was a pretty good night for boxing... Prescott-Alvarado on the undercard was a great fight.

That ending really takes away from the match

I feel for Marquez right now.

Very much enjoyed the fight.

Agreed with the call and was surprised with Nacho and his coaching decisions. I like how he evaded the basic question of whether or not he would have advised his fighter differently. Perhaps because the answer was obvious.

That said, I don't think Pacquio can beat Floyd. I thought he could, but not after seeing how he struggled tonight. Floyd will employ the same strategy as Marquez, but with much more effectiveness thanks to his speed. I think it would be a decision because Floyd wouldn't take enough chances to knock him out, but I don't think it'd be too close on the cards either. It'd end in with a Floyd win, and a very frustrated PacMan who could never really get in.

TheNatural

My Member!
I don't even know why I let boxing troll me anymore. It's like going to 4chan and getting upset when you see nasty shit and complaining about it. I should come in just expecting it, and not letting it annoy me. But every event I watch, it happens.

I'm like the kid who waits Christmas morning for Santa and hoping to get the elusive boxing combo of a great finish or fight, with no controversy.

Either you get a great fight or a finish of some kind, but it has some type of controversy with the "KO" being dumb crap like Mayweather or Dawson, or you get a great fight where the rightful winner gets screwed like tonight.

And if you do have a clean uncontroversial fight, guess what? It's boring as fuck, like Mayweather-Mosely, Pacquaio-Clottey, and so on.

I just want a good top level fight where the right guy wins, and the guy that wins does it in a clean, exciting manner. I guess that's too much to ask from boxing in 2011 though.

Buzzati

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
You don't get penalized for accidental headbutts. WTF are you talking about?

Yes you do. It's a tacit penalty, meaning it is considered in the final round decision by the judges. Are trolling me?

Ether_Snake said:

throw-in-the-towel-apollo.jpg

Noshino

Purexed said:
GAF is in major hive mind mode right now, I'll come back tomorrow when the irrationality tones down. Pacman won a close and competitive fight.

Yup, that's why even the guys from PRIMETIME (that were saying that Manny was going to take this one) called it a robbery.

They MUST be gaffers.

Fuck off with that kind of mentality, Manny didn't win, just look at the thread and how we are reading round by round, even some Pacquiao fans are giving it to Marquez.

I personally thought Pac man won a very close fight. He threw around 100 more punches and there was still only a 2% difference. He also went for the head more which is probably why the %difference was in Marquez's favor. It could have went either way. I don't think anyone was robbed no matter which way the decision went.

JLG- said:
Fights aren't scored by compubox numbers..
The M.O.B said:
The matter is how clean and powerful those punches were, Pac will always land more simply because he has the stamina to throw 1000 punches a night if he needs to.
(Why do I feel that people are trying to pick a fight with me??) I had Marquez winning the fight 115-113 as I stated earlier. I'm not trying to justify the terrible 116-112 scoring, although I can get 114-114/115-113 for either fighter.

I'm just putting the numbers out there who are wondering what they were, since some people were asking.

EDIT ADDED: Sorry if I'm assuming ill intended thoughts. I'm Filipino and I'm the only one who thought Marquez won, so I'm kind of being shunned at the moment.

Baby Milo

Arum is trying to put together Pacman/Marquez IV for May 2012-Lance Pugmire LA Times

@BryanAGraham: Bob Arum says he will advocate for a fourth fight between Pacquiao and Marquez in May.

LOL they dont want it

Dreams-Visions said:
Very much enjoyed the fight.

Agreed with the call and was surprised with Nacho and his coaching decisions. I like how he evaded the basic question of whether or not he would have advised his fighter differently. Perhaps because the answer was obvious.

That said, I don't think Pacquio can beat Floyd. I thought he could, but not after seeing how he struggled tonight. Floyd will employ the same strategy as Marquez, but with much more effectiveness thanks to his speed. I think it would be a decision because Floyd wouldn't take enough chances to knock him out, but I don't think it'd be too close on the cards either. It'd end in with a Floyd win, and a very frustrated PacMan who could never really get in.
I agree 100%.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Bad_Boy said:
agent icebeezy in a Pacquio fight thread... ok im out. nite.

HAHAHAHAHA

This is just another example of the sham that is Top Rank boxing. Manny is in the ring with someone that isn't washed up (Max said it himself as well) Look at what happened. Manny looked like he lost. Juan wasn't in there to touch gloves like Shane, he was there to win and in the eyes of many, he did just that. There is no way, no way Floyd loses to Manny Pacquiao. I hope on May 5th, Floyd takes his soul.

Buzzati

Banned
KidA Seven said:
I personally thought Pac man won a very close fight. He threw around 100 more punches and there was still only a %2 difference. He also went for the head more which is probably why the %difference was in Marquez's favor. It could have went either way. I don't think anyone was robbed no matter which way the decision went.

Exactly. Marquez landed something like 52. Body shots and Pacquiao landed 20ish. Pacquiao beat him by far in headshots. Having 100. More punches spread to the majority of the head makes a difference. It was a close fight, but manny won by a very conscientious judging.

Heel

Looking forward to the showering of .gifs showing these 100+ "power punches" Manny landed. Maybe I'm as blind as Adelaide Byrd?

I went into this fight thinking Manny was going to blow him out but it was the exact opposite in my eyes.

I watched in a room filled with Filipinos and we all thought it was a really close fight but Manny edged it out with pure volume punching.

Edit: a few thought it was a draw too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom