• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT| My Onlywatch Has Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

beck_

Think they need to figure out a way for more support/defence type heroes to get on the PoTM. I know it doesnt mean a great deal but it feels good to get it. I feel like I have done some great work with Mei etc, but just cant compete with the kill lots of guys with ultimate heroes who always end up on it.

Whats point in buying the cool PoTM animations if it will never be seen on some heroes.

PatjuhR

Lets not pretend Blizzard does not care about progression or loot. I mean... They do have unlocks, fancy loot crate animation and everything. It's just that the unlocks kinda suck.

It's Blizzard we're talking about. The carrot on a stick is their jam.

It's the principle behind WoW and Diablo after all.

Never played WoW, but Diable is mostly about getting better armor and weapons to make you stronger in game. That isn't possible here as that would ruin gameplay.

So they doing a good job with all the fancy skins and shizzle.

Johndoey

Banned
Widowmaker is supposed to look like a 80-90s comic book femme fatale but dear god that design is 70% leg and it's just disconcerting to look at. I guess I respect the Liefeld fans on staff at Blizzard.

Recall

I hate that the screen tells me who left or what voice channel they are in but doesn't display who killed whom, there are no death notices on PS4

Lets not pretend Blizzard does not care about progression or loot. I mean... They do have unlocks, fancy loot crate animation and everything. It's just that the unlocks kinda suck.

Those games are entirely defined by the carrot on a stick mantra, though. Without it the games are poor. Overwatch is designed as a skill based FPS so the carrot on a stick stuff doesn't really matter in terms of the overall package. What would you prefer? Weapon unlocks? That would be shit.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Carrot is to git gud so you can become a pro gamer in which you are allowed to complain about the game.

GlamFM

Banned
Those games are entirely defined by the carrot on a stick mantra, though. Without it the games are poor. Overwatch is designed as a skill based FPS so the carrot on a stick stuff doesn't really matter in terms of the overall package. What would you prefer? Weapon unlocks? That would be shit.

Better skins, badges, golden guns, fancy glow around my char. Something.

Color swap skins and spray is lame. They can do better.

Johndoey

Banned
Playing Symmetra comes with this great sly positioning task for your turrets, it's cool. You can get a nice little death corner going.

It's Numbani, the most attacker-favored map in the game. Just shit tier map design all around. We did the same thing on that dumpster fire of a map except without the tryhard healer, 100% D.Va let's go ;)

Numbani is a great map. Id say it's balanced quite well. It's certainly easier to attack than other map, but "shit tier" is by no means accurate. It means the Defending team actually has to work rather than just sit in a corner and wait.

kami_sama

Playing Symmetra comes with this great sly positioning task for your turrets, it's cool. You fet get a nice little death corner going.

Yeah. Symmetra can be great. I just had a 18/1 game in Hollywood.
But I still think she needs some buffing. Right now she is too map dependent.

Klyka

Banned
I hate that the screen tells me who left or what voice channel they are in but doesn't display who killed whom, there are no death notices on PS4

In the options you can enable "kill feed" or whatever it's called. It then shows up in the top right.

MUnited83

For you.
Just got a match where I managed to kill a Widowmaker at long range with D.Va pistol...several times, while she was trying to snipe me at the same time...

AbT4Oar.gif

Had my first match with garbage, toxic players. I'm fine with bad players, but when you're awful at the game and calling people faggots it might be time to grow up and do something productive with your life.

Just got a match where I managed to kill a Widowmaker at long range with D.Va pistol...several times, while she was trying to snipe me at the same time...

D.Va's pistol is actually my favorite weapon. Reminds me so much of the Link Gun from Unreal.

Mupod

I really can not play Zarya when solo'ing I just get destroyed

Zarya is one of the few characters I can carry bad teams on. At least until the other side figures out they should just save their ults for me.

I'm still working out who are the best characters to play when I'm in a really bad team.

Lucio - great at surviving and holding down objectives, which is important when your 2 Mccrees and Genjis are off in a corner of a map playing a game that isn't Overwatch. I held a point with a Roadhog last night and never even saw any other teammates. If you do die, he's very fast and can get back quickly.

S76 - can operate on his own pretty well and like Lucio is fast and can respond to the objective quickly. He can beat most other characters which is important when you never see your teammates. Ult is good for singling out healers (because nobody else will shoot them first).

Winston - Oddly enough I had a ton of success with him last night. In solo queue there's always at least one sniper and one genji. He's also great for dealing with Tracer, who most randumbs seem to ignore completely.

idonteven

hate it when the game puts me in a shitty cod player team with all soldiers

NOBODY went for the objective just making kills like the good old shitty cod players do

i just quit when i see after like a min they dont do fuck all

/salt

Won a turtled defense game by holding the last point forever with four bastions. The rage was out of control in all chat hahahaa how can ppl still not grasp counters /feelsbadman oh wait no, was laughing and having a grand time.

Banzai

Think they need to figure out a way for more support/defence type heroes to get on the PoTM. I know it doesnt mean a great deal but it feels good to get it. I feel like I have done some great work with Mei etc, but just cant compete with the kill lots of guys with ultimate heroes who always end up on it.

Whats point in buying the cool PoTM animations if it will never be seen on some heroes.

True, but it makes me feels even cooler to get one with Lucio or Reinhardt.

i think mei is a bit overtuned aswell. the self-heal is a bit much. she already has 250 hp.

Mei is anything but overtuned, she would be very weak if people actually just learnt to deal with her.I find it funny how people rush to say "counter bastion with ____", yet cant counter mei with range or a stun.

Spinluck

Oh man I suck with Winstons ult.

If you're not getting kills with it, don't worry about it, that's not really what it's for.

Jump around your objective and defend it like a mad man. Knock back anyone you see and protect your teammates. DO NOT chase down one person, this is a waste of his ult imo. Mitigate damage and split teams apart. It's really good for isolating healers and just going apeshit. If you get any kills in the process that's great, but just remember it's all about crowd control.

Fliesen

I really enjoy the short cooldowns on hero abilities.

So you're not wasting important skill cooldowns all the time.

As opposed to the ultimate. Barely any hero's ultimate by itself is particularly devastating against a good team - but as soon as you have multiple people combine their ults - like one that has a high damage output, one that disables enemies - the results are glorious.

Mei is anything but overtuned, she would be very weak if people actually just learnt to deal with her.I find it funny how people rush to say "counter bastion with ____", yet cant counter mei with range or a stun.

Yeah, I played Mei last night and there was a Roadhog on the other team that was curb-stomping me the entire match. It was bad times.

Boogdud

I finally got a POTG with Zenyatta. Heal 4 of my teammates, mark (and kill) the other team's Mercy solo, then polish off the Junkrat and Mei with a charge attack all within the space of about 7 seconds.. and some other stuff. I got 10 votes lol.

So, it's doable, you just have to be incredibly lucky I guess... I don't think I can ever pull that off again.

I also found I love Junkrat

i think mei is a bit overtuned aswell. the self-heal is a bit much. she already has 250 hp.

Mei is really weird. Most players tend to think she is over-powered, and she definitely has a lot going for her. But most of the guys I've played with and talked to who play competitively think she's in the same bottom tier as Roadhog when it comes to competitive games. The main issue being that Widowmaker, Pharah, Soldier-76, and even McCree eat her alive and all of those characters are ran in higher level matches.

On the other end of the spectrum, a couple of the guys I was talking to from Quix and Dizziness really like Mei and say that she is used a lot more in the SK Overwatch scene so who knows.

Just what our defence team needed... 3 bastions!
who would instantly die because the other team had a competent sniper... but they would just pick bastion again. Amazing.

We won by some miracle.
i.e. Symmetra turret spam on Hanamura :p

Matt Frost

AbT4Oar.gif

What serie is that gif from?

I like to kill Genji's and others with Mercy gun as well, so satisfying. Then comes the "you are cheating" messages. Awesome times.

Fliesen

Mei is really weird. Most players tend to think she is over-powered, and she definitely has a lot going for her. But most of the guys I've played with and talked to who play competitively think she's in the same bottom tier as Roadhog when it comes to competitive games. The main issue being that Widowmaker, Pharah, Soldier-76, and even McCree eat her alive and all of those characters are ran in higher level matches.

On the other end of the spectrum, a couple of the guys I was talking to from Quix and Dizziness really like Mei and say that she is used a lot more in the SK Overwatch scene so who knows.
my main issue with main is just that she's annoying.

she'll just bunny hop around you, slowing you down, freezing you with no need for actual aiming, eventually landing that ice spike that kills you.

If you shoot her, she ice blocks.

I feel like it wouldn't hurt if she was just a little more squishy.

Tried healing for the first time yesterday with Mercy. I had a lot of fun doing that, more than I thought I would. Ended up using her most of the time I played last night. Great fun even if I am the first one to get killed lol.

One thing that annoys me though, if I am already there healing...why does someone else feel compelled to choose Mercy as well....why.

I bloody love her. My personal route to good Mei play is: keep the wall active and ready to fire at all times. So much faster to start firing icicles from wall than raising it and getting it in position. Then, use the wall to a) constantly block turrets (which people seem to get really annoyed about) b) split teams c) raise other team members to put them in stupid places and break attacks d) raise your team to get players to crazy vantage points easily e) shunt them with the wall into holes etc. It's not overpowered - it's just super malleable. I got a couple of POTDs yesterday with her, all involving wall first, then picking people off when they were confused.

Spinluck

This might be.

The greatest multiplayer shooter of all time.

This is only the beginning friend, but it's high up there for me. The last FPS I enjoyed this much was Bad Company 2. Never could get into TF2, but holy shit is this good. I cannot wait to see the content they add to this game.

Tried healing for the first time yesterday with Mercy. I had a lot of fun doing that, more than I thought I would. Ended up using her most of the time I played last night. Great fun even if I am the first one to get killed lol.

One thing that annoys me though, if I am already there healing...why does someone else feel compelled to choose Mercy as well....why.
One of you's gotta change then lol. 2 Mercys rarely work unless you're going for like a 4-tank,2-healer strat with your buddies.

NightOnyx

If you're not getting kills with it, don't worry about it, that's not really what it's for.

Jump around your objective and defend it like a mad man. Knock back anyone you see and protect your teammates. DO NOT chase down one person, this is a waste of his ult imo. Mitigate damage and split teams apart. It's really good for isolating healers and just going apeshit. If you get any kills in the process that's great, but just remember it's all about crowd control.

This thread is so helpful so far with advice like this. I'm doing well with a lot of the heroes but Winston is one I suck with and it's nice to get tips like this for him and the other ones I am struggling with. Thanks everyone!

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Two times people could vote for me..both times because I was the player who had the most time pushing that freaking char and not one vote for me ;_;...

also, I love this game and can see myself play it a lot in the competitive mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom