• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT10| That'll do pig, that'll do

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Holy hell, lost a few games in comp and it took off like 27-29 SR each time I lost. I only gain like 23-24. Such a bummer. Game obviously doesn't want me to be where I am lol. Why not just make it a flat SR gain/loss?

Flat SR breaks things at the top end of the playerbase where it becomes a battle of who played the most games. You at least need to modify based on team SR.

The other problem is that win percentages are somewhat random, which is why they're a percentage. Using a 25 SR gain/loss system, something like 10% of players with 48% chance to win will gain 500SR to rank up in 100 games, while 10% of players with 52% chance to win will have to play 800 games to gain the same amount.

You need to bring a 55% chance to win before you can be reasonably assured you'll get 500SR to rank up within 500 games. Or bring a 60% chance to win to be reasonably assured you'll rank up within 200 games. Accelerate things, and you have higher chance of players lucking thier way up or down the ranks. Decelerate things, and you have to have a crazy win rate or number of games played to ever rank up.

Using individual stats is problematic in ways that have been discussed many times over, but they are the only way to help take that sort of randomness out of the system.

Discord and hit hard + shout to your teammates.

Shout what to my teammates? That I'm dead because I was killed from an insta kill on a 4 second cool down? The hit box of that ability is ridiculous. It basically can't miss. If it was more like Rein's charge and had chances for people to "slip off" like charge does half the time maybe it wouldn't feel so oppressive.

Whew, I'm still trash at Lucio Ball and I still don't enjoy it.
When I get my box I ain't touching it again.

I finally get to buy one of the sprinter alts for Tracer yet every time the opportunity actually arises for me to go with an attack character I'm like "friendship ended with Tracer, now Doomfist is my best friend".

LiK

It's a bummer that Junkrat has no cricket-related voice lines for his new skin.

I thought he did. Watched a video where they found the files in the game. Not sure how to make him say some of them tho. The new Soldier skin voicelines are hilarious.

I have a dps and tank gold gun, now I need a support.

Ana or Zen, prolly Zen since I never get to play Ana in comp. Been sittin on these 3k cp for a few days tryin to decide.

Blues1990

I thought he did. Watched a video where they found the files in the game. Not sure how to make him say some of them tho. The new Soldier skin voicelines are hilarious.

His soda can actually opens as one when you drop the Biotic Field. I turned down the music and tested this out, and it's a nice touch.

But, yeah. Maybe they didn't have enough time to incorporate the voice lines for this skin?

LiK

His soda can actually opens as one when you drop the Biotic Field. I turned down the music and tested this out, and it's a nice touch.

But, yeah. Maybe they didn't have enough time to incorporate the voice lines for this skin?

Dunno, I was also disappointed McCree didn't yell out its High Tide for his Ult.

They need to let us skip the replays in this

I had a comp game (6 minutes of actual play time) last just slightly over 10 minutes because of the replays. It makes it even worse bc when you're getting a lot of replays usually it's a blowout for your side or theirs. In this case it was my side but it still felt boring.

Salarians

Seems possible. I don't think Junkrat or Mercy's Halloween skins got unique voice lines until after the event was over.

Veelk

Banned
the Zarya ult buff is one of the most baffling Blizzard decisions in quite some time

It's not htat baffling at all

"Shit guys, meteor strike is like marginally more effective than D.Va's ult. How do we fix this?"
"Maybe if he combo's with Zarya?"
"But there are so many heroes that escape from tha-ooooh, I see what your getting at..."

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what it would be like if Blizzard just said Overwatch is now 5v5. How would the game break?

It would lessen the chance of getting a troll and increase the impact of individual performance.

Blues1990

Seems possible. I don't think Junkrat or Mercy's Halloween skins got unique voice lines until after the event was over.

Actually, both Junkrat and Mercy's Halloween skins didn't have many, if at all, unique voice lines. It was due to a cry on the official forums that people wanted those characters to have them.

I'm unsure about Reaper and.... Um, what was the name of that fat character that used to be in the game? Anyway, I'm unsure if Reaper and the other character did/didn't have any unique voice lines beforehand.

Nazo

This game is like if someone distilled despair and anger into its most purest form.

I'm THIS close to uninstalling this game and washing my hands of it forever.

This game is like if someone distilled despair and anger into its most purest form.

I'm THIS close to uninstalling this game and washing my hands of it forever.

We all get that feeling. Eventually you'll reach the point of not giving nearly as much as a shit, which feels amazing.

IgMyx.gif

Only three characters out of the what, 8 or so skins? At least McCree gets a beach ball with Deadeye lol

Nazo

We all get that feeling. Eventually you'll reach the point of not giving nearly as much as a shit, which feels amazing.

Man, I took like a 5 month break from this game and came back in since Doomfist released and the game is in even more of a sorry state than how I left it. I'm sick of walking away every night pissed off beyond belief.

I'm so fucking tired of having to pick Winston EVERY. FUCKING. GAME. Because we need a team of all DPS right? Or having to play support because nobody can stay alive for more than 3 seconds. But then if I don't play DPS no one kills anything. WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO.

Then it doesn't help that the matchmaking system is absolutely FUCKED. I'm so sick of winning 1 game then having to play against GM level players (in quickplay mind you) for like 6 games in a row and losing. Because Blizzard is infinitely more obsessed with enforcing an arbitrary as fuck 50/50 win-loss ratio.

Then the current meta is an abject pile of shit. "HEY! DO YOU LIKE D.VA AND WINSTON IN EVERY GAME??? NO? FUCK. YOU." Then you have Mercy with rez up every team fight. Because that's not demoralizing when you wipe a whole team just so some cowardly ass Mercy flys in and nothing you did mattered! Hooray!

I'm taking another break. Fuck this stupid event. I'll play again when there's another patch. Because right now this game can fuck off into space.

Love when you go with an off meta pick in Comp and it totally throws the enemy team off and you win.

We were getting steamed in Illos 2-0 so I went Mei to fuck with their D.va, steamrolled that round and they kept trying to swap their team trying to counter me, while our team just kept swapping to counter them. Someone actually ragequit in the last round mid push lol.

Owzers

I need the Rein wrestling player icon, but I got the Mercy badminton today and Sombra before so that's fun. Old Torb summer games skin was an iffy get.

Man, I took like a 5 month break from this game and came back in since Doomfist released and the game is in even more of a sorry state than how I left it. I'm sick of walking away every night pissed off beyond belief.

I'm so fucking tired of having to pick Winston EVERY. FUCKING. GAME. Because we need a team of all DPS right? Or having to play support because nobody can stay alive for more than 3 seconds. But then if I don't play DPS no one kills anything. WHAT THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO DO.

Then it doesn't help that the matchmaking system is absolutely FUCKED. I'm so sick of winning 1 game then having to play against GM level players (in quickplay mind you) for like 6 games in a row and losing. Because Blizzard is infinitely more obsessed with enforcing an arbitrary as fuck 50/50 win-loss ratio.

Then the current meta is an abject pile of shit. "HEY! DO YOU LIKE D.VA AND WINSTON IN EVERY GAME??? NO? FUCK. YOU." Then you have Mercy with rez up every team fight. Because that's not demoralizing when you wipe a whole team just so some cowardly ass Mercy flys in and nothing you did mattered! Hooray!

I'm taking another break. Fuck this stupid event. I'll play again when there's another patch. Because right now this game can fuck off into space.
I definitely know where you're coming from. I'm typically pretty mellow in competitive games, but Overwatch just sends me to the salt mines with how often things feel either janky or out my control. Last season I only managed to give enough of a care to just finish my placements, and this season I have a whopping single game played. I can't even play it casually with my friends because the background MMR to quickplay makes sure to give us the most miserable experience possible when we trio, they can duo and have an alright time, I can solo and be fine, but together it's just non-stop stomping as one of my friends uses a controller exclusively and the other has nerve damage in his mouse hand.

So the competitive side ends up feeling unrewarding and lacks complexity beyond being meta flavour of the season, and the game's matchmaking really skews things when trying to play casually with friends. The arcade modes are generally soul sucking outside of duels as well. Lucioball makes me wishing I could at least fake injuries to at least have it be more engaging than watching paint dry, and things like CTF and Total Mayhem only exist for sadomasochists. Not even the bribery of bonus lootboxes can get me to play arcade anymore.

Top Bottom