• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having really trouble countering the typical turret/bastion defense. Logo dictates that Pharah or Widowmaker would be great at licking these out but many times I get shot down before I can line up a shot on the turrets themselves. Any advice?

Kyoufu

Getting tired of seeing Junkrat score Play of the Game every time he shows up in a match just by firing off a stupid unavoidable tire into a crowd. What a play!

Unavoidable how? The tyre has like 100HP meaning you just need to sneeze on it to destroy it.

Getting tired of seeing Junkrat score Play of the Game every time he shows up in a match just by firing off a stupid unavoidable tire into a crowd. What a play!

Virtually every character can be called out what their POTG is going to be, with very few exceptions, as it will probably be their ultimate. Have you ever seen a Mercy get POTG that didn't involve her rez? Is it even possible?

aeolist

Banned
Oh I know that feel too, 20 tick is just a mess overall. I've died to Junkrat's martyrdom after fully blinking away multiple times, the usual wall kills/hooks, you got it

i will say that when stuff like that isn't happening this is one of the smoothest-feeling online games i've ever played. whatever magic they're using to hide lag is incredible, which makes the janky moments all the more jarring.

PatjuhR

Decided to play untll lvl 24 last night to open my last toot box for the day and got a legendary skin for Roadhog. Now I've been salty since that I haven't been able to play with it yet. Luckily work is almost over.

Ready to rock in my Mako skin.

I had a nightmare game last night as Reinhardt on the attack. King's Row is bad enough with the defense heroes you always see like Toblerone and Junkrat but that team also had a good Mei and a good Symettra and that was rough.

Attacking is just less fun in general, though.

Nottle

Virtually every character can be called out what their POTG is going to be, with very few exceptions, as it will probably be their ultimate. Have you ever seen a Mercy get POTG that didn't involve her rez? Is it even possible?
I mean, she has a pistol, but if you are just attacking everyone with a mercy and not healing why not just play offense or Lucio.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also maybe I'm playing some really bad genji's but symmetra seems to almost instantly kill genji if she has the jump on him, which should be all the time if you're smart. Especially one that's too busy trying too destroy your turrets.

Like, she's no mccree, but I have pretty good luck outflanking tracers and genji.

mbpm1

Ran into another junkrat yesterday just as he was setting up his ultimate.

It was pretty funny when I activated mine back at him and we blew each other up.

Baliis

I mean, she has a pistol, but if you are just attacking everyone with a mercy and not healing why not just play offense or Lucio.

I've seen Mercy potg where she shot a Mei once for the killing blow while her ult was out somewhere. That was not a very exciting game.

Zemm

Oh I know that feel too, 20 tick is just a mess overall. I've died to Junkrat's martyrdom after fully blinking away multiple times, the usual wall kills/hooks, you got it

Valves 64 tick CS servers seem generous in retrospect. Blizzard cheapened out like fuck with the servers, another reason they should let us host our own. if they don't do that then fuck this game long term.

jotun?

I hope they publish some fun correlation statistics based on the match rating surveys, like which heroes people enjoy/hate playing against/with/as

Mupod

Characters I really enjoy playing and pick often regardless of team composition: Zarya, Pharah, Junkrat

My favorite character that isn't always useful in every team: Zenyatta

Characters I like and am great at, but I feel like I shouldn't just pick them all the time: Lucio, Reinhardt

Characters I pick specifically only to counter certain characters or get some cheap kills: Winston, Genji, Bastion

Characters I like a lot but never get to use because someone is already using them: Reaper, Widow, Tracer

Characters I should use more often because I'm apparently great at them: Roadhog, S76, McCree

I'll play them once in a while to change things up: Symmetra, Torbjorn, Mercy

Characters I don't like much, which of course means I have found great legendary skins for all of them: Mei, D-Va, Hanzo

PatjuhR

I had a nightmare game last night as Reinhardt on the attack. King's Row is bad enough with the defense heroes you always see like Toblerone and Junkrat but that team also had a good Mei and a good Symettra and that was rough.

Attacking is just less fun in general, though.

Yea, can be so frustrating. You just keep trying and trying and failing everytime. If you get runover on defense, at least you fail on a different part of the map everytime.

I saw one get a Shutdown POTG by using her pistol.

Super anecdotal and random, but hey.

I had back-to-back POTGs the other day when I was trying to really learn McCree. The first was for a 5 person High Noon but the second one was pure Flash n Fan. He's good but I have the need for speed. Gotta have some mobility, man. Even Hanzo's wall climb gives him a feel that he's not so stationary.

For similar reasons, I suck with Reinhardt. Though, I have seen him used entirely offensively to good results. Of course, our team was nothing but squishies so it was made for him to just wreck us.

I'm having really trouble countering the typical turret/bastion defense. Logo dictates that Pharah or Widowmaker would be great at licking these out but many times I get shot down before I can line up a shot on the turrets themselves. Any advice?

I know your pain :(
I get the feeling that it would be super easy with either of those two standing behind Reinhardt shield. But sadly none of my PSN friend play so its kinda hard to test with randoms.

mbpm1

I think I heard the idea was to go multiple junkrat or farahs and have a reinhardt or two to keep them alive while they blow the crap out of a turret's vicinity

In practice pubs will rarely have the coordination or willingness to pull that off

PatjuhR

I saw one get a Shutdown POTG by using her pistol.

Super anecdotal and random, but hey.

I had back-to-back POTGs the other day when I was trying to really learn McCree. The first was for a 5 person High Noon but the second one was pure Flash n Fan. He's good but I have the need for speed. Gotta have some mobility, man. Even Hanzo's wall climb gives him a feel that he's not so stationary.

For similar reasons, I suck with Reinhardt. Though, I have seen him used entirely offensively to good results. Of course, our team was nothing but squishies so it was made for him to just wreck us.

Peaking and shooting with Pharah always helps for me. You can be behind cover quick enough for not taking any damage. Or just a little bit.

Durden77

So ranked isn't coming until hopefully July now?

Great. Both games I've bought this year have been "buy now, fix later!" Games. (Other being SF5)

MGrant

Had a great match on Nepal. Was dueling another Mei with my Mei, when one of her teammates also switched to Mei. A few minutes later all three of us tossed our ults on a clusterfuck teamfight. I ice blocked, both of them were frozen, finished both of them off and then my Pharah teammate came in and ulted the rest of their team. So good.

One thing I realized that I dislike a bit is that I feel somewhat obligated to pick certain characters on certain maps because of just how good they are.

It's why I end up picking up, say Toblerone even if I don't really want to just because it makes your chances of winnig that much better sometimes.

BigDug13

Valves 64 tick CS servers seem generous in retrospect. Blizzard cheapened out like fuck with the servers, another reason they should let us host our own. if they don't do that then fuck this game long term.

I'm just hoping beyond hope that the slow tick is temporary and Blizzard was just making sure they didn't end up with another Diablo 3 launch fiasco and that once the initial rush dies down and they can accurately assess server needs they will provide a better experience. I hope.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Both of those characters can easily nip to a range where Symmetra can't fight them effectively though, even if she does get the jump. Tracer especially. Just don't think people are used to fighting her yet.

That's the thing, I don't chase her, I just keep going back, placing turrets, and then wait in ambush again. You just need to learn placements which forces them to get into your range for you to get the jump on, and they're usually damaged by my turrets already. Also helps in that if she's too busy being bothered by turrets she's not harassing my team.

Works more often than not. Like I said, probably playing against some really bad ones. Who knows.

Sorral

If you can't do it by peaking from around the corner over and over with Pharah/Hanzo/Widow, I suggest throwing an ice wall with Mei in front of the Bastion. If your teammates aren't blind as hell, usually it will buy them enough time to move positions forward. It's what I do on the Hanamura map when attacking to get A.

As others said in here, you can partially peak where the Bastion won't be able to hit you and still shoot him around some corners as a I do on Pharah, or really go back and forth with your arrows on Hanzo next to a wall.

Reinhardt charge is scary shit. Insta-kill.

not with winston on full health. there's enough HP left as long as rein doesn't strike after. i just jump away as long as it's not in a small room or near enemy. sometimes i just so good i don't know where i'm at and other person doesn't realize i'm gone lol. last time i leaped out the door full of the other team lol. how? idk. the power of peanut butter.

aeolist

Banned
people just ignore symmetra turrets to hunt kills and it's annoying as fuck since they die so easily. i was playing a rein game the other day and kept having to jump and hammer them because nobody else would shoot them and it was killing the push.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So ranked isn't coming until hopefully July now?

Great. Both games I've bought this year have been "buy now, fix later!" Games. (Other being SF5)

What the fuck are you talking about? the game is fixed, they just need more time to add new content.

LiK

not with winston on full health. there's enough HP left as long as rein doesn't strike after. i just jump away as long as it's not in a small room or near enemy. sometimes i just so good i don't know where i'm at and other person doesn't realize i'm gone lol.

It sucks when I turn a corner and he's charging and missed another character and hits me instead lol

Ran into another junkrat yesterday just as he was setting up his ultimate.

It was pretty funny when I activated mine back at him and we blew each other up.

had a fun exchange as Roadhog with a Reinhardt. he charged, i chained, and we killed each other. it was like the most intense bro hug ever.

Durden77

people just ignore symmetra turrets to hunt kills and it's annoying as fuck since they die so easily. i was playing a rein game the other day and kept having to jump and hammer them because nobody else would shoot them and it was killing the push.

It may be that some people just don't have the eye for them yet because they're so small. I know I haven't.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I was with a random group yesterday with half the people being over lvl 40 on Attack Anubis. This is the kind of map where you can be stuck there for a good 10 mins on average, if not more.

Match lasted only 2:30 mins. Never had a game going so well. My group was just charging without worries.

Camjo-Z

True. I kind of wish ultimates wouldn't count towards PotG, I'd rather see a cool skill-based play rather than just "look who pressed the triangle button".

LiK

True. I kind of wish ultimates wouldn't count towards PotG, I'd rather see a cool skill-based play rather than just "look who pressed the triangle button".

I had a few POTGs where it was just me shooting a few dudes with nothing major happening. I was embarrassed by how boring it was lol

I'm just hoping beyond hope that the slow tick is temporary and Blizzard was just making sure they didn't end up with another Diablo 3 launch fiasco and that once the initial rush dies down and they can accurately assess server needs they will provide a better experience. I hope.

They have to. The competitive community will be gone so fast if they have to deal with 20 tick servers.

ObiDin

I am loving Torbjorn, Lucio and Junkrat. I think I only have like 3 losses as Torbs. Lucio kills on the king of the hill maps. And it still cracks me up everytime someone stands over my corpse as Junkrat and are killed.

Is there no last match stats screen once you've gone back to the main menu?

XenoRaven

Does matchmaking ever balance teams between games? Or do you just sit on a team with garbage players against a team who knows what they're doing for as long as you're able to stand it?

It seems like it's really easy to get caught in a frustrating cycle of bad teams, because people get mad and leave bad teams, which opens a slot in the bad team for you to fill, at which point you are at greater risk of getting mad and leaving, because you just left your previous team because they were bad.

Or my personal favorite: the game puts you back on the same team you just left unless you wait like 30 seconds to requeue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom