• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't play Mercy for shit for some reason... I do way better on Lucio and Zen.

Mercy is more about making sure your friends have fun than actually having fun yourself so she is best played in groups where people will actually protect you. You'll spend most of your time just yellow or blue beaming people while dashing across the map with your lshift. If it wasn't for her ult in some matches you're better off with Lucio. He does more over all healing and actually gets to fight the enemy.

Sorral

Playing sniper/healer against Winston (or Winstons, god forbid) makes me want to uninstall this game.

I bet that's how Winstons feel against Mei. Freezing one during their ult mmmmmmmm

Mercy is more about making sure your friends have fun than actually having fun yourself so she is best played in groups where people will actually protect you. You'll spend most of your time just yellow or blue beaming people while dashing across the map with your lshift. If it wasn't for her ult in some matches you're better off with Lucio. He does more over all healing and actually gets to fight the enemy.

Yeah, that's what everyone been saying so far in here. I'm sticking to Lucio in solo plays.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Made an edit to see how Genji would look with this color scheme.

ajYBApn.png

I feel like the group I play with has definitely reached a fairly high MMR level, because there are McCrees EVERYWHERE. I've been playing him myself and feel like a total scumbag for it, but he's pretty fun. Fan the hammer combo is brainless, so I don't really mind that it's going to (probably) get nerfed. I will be perfectly happy just pistol dueling all day. It's so satisfying when you land a couple of good shots at mid range and completely shut someone down.

I also was completely losing my shit trying to hook a Tracer as Roadhog last night. I kept landing successful hooks, but she never ended up in front of me, so she'd recall before I could land a clean hit. Really frustrating stuff. I hope at some point Blizzard updates the hook and makes it actually deposit your enemy in front of you. It's even weirder with Genji, who sometimes ends up behind you because he tried to dash as you landed the hook.

kromeo

You can normally tell within 30 seconds if you've got an unwinnable team. Nothing I love more than seeing the tank off chasing people over the other side of the map

I don't care about losing but it's just boring being trapped in those games

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My best characters are D.VA, Junkrat, and Torbjorn. I love playing with Winston and the rest of the cast whenever possible though. The above are my game face is on characters.

I feel like the play of the game system is trolling me by only picking plays that involve me dying. Sometimes our team will win and then the play of the game will just be someone from the other side killing me. I won't be made a fool of!

I really like Genji but he's really tough to play. Up close he loses to McCree and Reaper. While a well timed parry will win the encounters, not all of them are that stupid, and a single fan the hammer or a couple of reapers shotgun blasts can take you down. At the same time, Genji himself doesn't have the damage output to kill these targets quickly. A smart reaper will just float away to the nearest heal station, it can be a long and arduous ordeal.

In that regard I feel that Genji actually loses a lot of encounters head to head. Stealth and mobility are his biggest merits but sometimes I feel like while I am surviving forever, I am not having the same impact that Reaper or McCree or Pharah have on the game, these characters are tank killers, output a tonne of damage and are capable of single handedly clearing the objective with their ult...

More skins are something that are going to keep coming for sure a way of entice people to keep giving them money after the game has been bought.
I expect short-time available exclusive, seasonal exclusives and in general more skins for all characters in general.

I really hope if they do timed exclusive skins that we can just pay money for them. It would be pretty terrible if you just had to hope for it or use currency that you might not have.

I feel it's much easier to win on defense because it doesn't require any where near as much coordination. Mistakes resulting from individual deaths are forgiven as you simply respawn back right next to the point. It tends to come down to needing to wipe the entire team with an ult or combination of ults. Unless you kill the defensive team in perfect sync, you don't get the opportunity to push and therefore you don't win.

In pubs, it's easy to defend because the relative difficult for the attacking team is much higher, no coordination with allies is even required as everyone naturally focuses on area denial down tyically a singular choke point. Even if you lose your fight your whole team can respawn one or two times and still win out.

I agree they need to fix the spawn time when you die asdefenders on the last check point. On most of the payload maps

LiK

You can normally tell within 30 seconds if you've got an unwinnable team. Nothing I love more than seeing the tank off chasing people over the other side of the map

i was playing with Kyoufu last night and we stomped a team in capturing A and B in literally less than 2 minutes. Had a good team of randoms.

I believed this until I had a team that just became unstoppable at the last corner the payload need to round before winning.

Now, when I get the feeling I'm on an unwinnable team, I think, "But maybe!!!!!"

But usually not.

ViviOggi

I feel like the group I play with has definitely reached a fairly high MMR level, because there are McCrees EVERYWHERE. I've been playing him myself and feel like a total scumbag for it, but he's pretty fun. Fan the hammer combo is brainless, so I don't really mind that it's going to (probably) get nerfed. I will be perfectly happy just pistol dueling all day. It's so satisfying when you land a couple of good shots at mid range and completely shut someone down.

I also was completely losing my shit trying to hook a Tracer as Roadhog last night. I kept landing successful hooks, but she never ended up in front of me, so she'd recall before I could land a clean hit. Really frustrating stuff. I hope at some point Blizzard updates the hook and makes it actually deposit your enemy in front of you. It's even weirder with Genji, who sometimes ends up behind you because he tried to dash as you landed the hook.
Yeah trying to hook the smaller/faster heroes @20 tick is absolutely infuriating, Lucio in particular tends to land to my side or even behind me. They need to fix this shit asap

Mupod

Playing sniper/healer against Winston (or Winstons, god forbid) makes me want to uninstall this game.

I very very rarely play Widow but I picked her in a GAF team on Gibraltar last night. Apparently all I needed to do was tweak my sensitivity for that character to be much more effective. You know the enemy team has it out for you when one swaps to Winston and the other to Genji.

The thing is the Winston kept coming at me head on. I kept killing him in mid jump. Gibraltar is very sniper friendly but if he had jumped in from the back he might have got me a few times. Also Widow shoots so damn fast that she can burn him down pretty quick.

I kind of want to play a lot more of her but the real problem is once you get higher in the matchmaking, even if your team doesn't already have 4 Hanzos every single round has that dude who has only played widowmaker for 45 hours. I'm alright at sniping but I have like 30 minutes on the character total (maybe about as much in the beta) so I'm not exactly a countersniping monster. I used to be able to fill the role pretty well in TF2 so I can probably get back up there, but I like playing every character not just one.

MrHoot

Honestly the more high level you get the less accessible and fun this game gets.

There's always one premades with one excellent tracer that can just wreck entire team as she can basically nullify everything. There are characters you can just not pick at all due to the meta and it becomes more frustrating than fun

One thing I liked for TF2 is that there was a place for all but i fear overwatch you're not gonna get that sweet middle spot for average players

mxgt

Banned
Tracer is so fucking god tier on attack when she finally clicks.

My entire team couldn't get anywhere near obj A on Anubis, so I just skirted around the back, harassed until ult then blew 3 of them up and we capped.

Same thing with B. Kept pulling their tank and a few others away from the objective with constant harassment.

such a fun hero

Kyoufu

Got the Decked Out trophy as well. Surprisingly only 0.1% of PS4 OW owners have that. Well I guess it isn't too surprising because of the steep requirements.

jorgejjvr

Honestly the more high level you get the less accessible and fun this game gets.

There's always one premades with one excellent tracer that can just wreck entire team as she can basically nullify everything. There are characters you can just not pick at all due to the meta and it becomes more frustrating than fun
I would disagree

Last night I stayed up until 3 am because we had a great gaf lobby. Everyone knew what they were doing and we did a great job coordinating

It was also obvious the opposite team was also in a lobby. We really had to think about every move we made, combine specials, jump in at the same time, change heroes accordingly etc. And it was a blast

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
"hey guys, we really need to push the payload!"

Team play 4 defense heroes (widow, hanzo, torbjorn and bastion) as I try to push as Reinhardt.

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh

Líke why no body wants ti play support i played líke 3 hours straight as Iucio cause nobody wants to heal.

I want to learn Mcree damn it.

This is mostly my experience as well. If I don't tank or heal in most games it isn't getting done. Shame too because I've had some really good games with Soldier 76 and would like to learn Hanzo.

Mupod

I've learned to never give up, especially on defense. Many many games we've lost point A instantly because our team got greedy and scattered. But once we're pushed back to the final point the team has no choice but to stay together. Likewise, people tend to wake the fuck up once the timer is ticking down and one final push is all we need to take the point.

My closest and most intense match so far was a Route 66 where we were completely steamrolled to the point where I had to stall the payload with an emergency Zenyatta ult as soon as I ran out of the spawn. But once I have people watching my back on Zen I can completely dismantle the enemy team while keeping all defenders healthy. Before we got pushed back I kept getting flanked while my team was in all corners of the map doing god knows what.

Interfectum

One thing I liked for TF2 is that there was a place for all but i fear overwatch you're not gonna get that sweet middle spot for average players

Eh, I'm getting high level and I just shut down tracer with Symmetra and her turrets or Junkrat and the trap/mine combo.

I deleted the pictures because they were too big, but its from this site https://overwatchtracker.com/

As I said, Im in the top 1% with her in almost every category, and Im in the top 8% in win percentage overall with every character combined(I play mostly with randoms) . She is much better than people are letting on.

She's my most played character, which surprised me.

I think the hate she gets is from people who expect her to be: 1) a tank 2) a turret

She's at her best as a mobile disruptor. Up close, she annihilates but her guns are awful at range. With her dash on such a short cooldown, you pop in, preferably pushing someone into a corner, unload bullets until dead, fly out.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Líke why no body wants ti play support i played líke 3 hours straight as Iucio cause nobody wants to heal.

I want to learn Mcree damn it.

This is where I feel lucky that I went into the game having already decided that Mercy was going to be my main. Nobody wants to heal? Pfft, I'll gladly do it.

Isn't the point of the ranking system to avoid this? I'd give it some time for the better players to filter up to the top before worrying about this too much.

I mean, it's not like you could just hop into a TF2 matchmaking server and expect to be able to play Spy full-time and get all the way to the big-leagues.

So it's been over a week, everybody still liking this game? Is it getting better over time? Worse?

During then open beta I was like; yeah I can see it, this is pretty good. Now I feel like a addict; Overwatch is all I want to play. As everyone's getting their bearings, I see skill levels and teamplay increasing, even with randoms, which has resulted and some really awesome/close/intense games.
This is definitely one of those games that become better as you invest more time in it, become more skilled and learn the ins & outs of all characters.
There's a lot of advanced tactics and synergy's between different characters involved.

aeolist

Banned
Yeah trying to hook the smaller/faster heroes @20 tick is absolutely infuriating, Lucio in particular tends to land to my side or even behind me. They need to fix this shit asap

it goes both ways, last night i was playing tracer and got hooked mid dash multiple times

-MD-

Saw a level 62 in a pub say Tracers should never play on defense because it "never works".

Wowzers.

Mupod

It's getting better because I'm learning how to play other heroes.

This. I thought the first stress test was surprisingly fun but I only played 1-2 characters and I wasn't exactly thirsty for more.

The second test and open beta, when I started playing more characters...that's when it hit me. I don't think I played the same character twice all last night and it was awesome.

the neat thing is it isn't just practicing the character that makes you better. For example after you get killed by flashbang/fan the hammer a few times, congratulations now you know how to play McCree.

Saw a level 62 in a pub say Tracers should never play on defense because it "never works".

Wowzers.

What a dummy. I played Tracer as Defense before and it's fine. You're still distracting them and getting kills.

I guess the argument would be that at higher levels she may have difficulty defending static objectives like a Payload (dunno if this is the case or not). I doubt that it'd matter outside of that context, though.

Sadly no :(

On PC what do you guys recommend to record?

I use Dxtory with the Matrox codec. The quality looks good and I don't take too much of a performance hit.

The only downside is that it's not free, it costs around $30. It was well worth the price though and looks much better than what I got when using OBS.

SDCowboy

Well my quest to not suck ass as Hanzo seems to be starting to pay dividends. I'm going positive every round with him, and I feel like I'm actually helping the team with the sonar arrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom