• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

finalflame

This is inherently the problem. Everyone has this mindset - "I'm the best at killing people, so if I'm not in that role then our team is clearly at a disadvantage. Someone else should pick the healer."

Yup. And people vastly overestimate how good they are.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I really don't feel that at all. I've had 10 match winning streaks and then dumped into a game which just felt more competitive before going into a match where everyone is terrible. I was under the impression that the matchmaking wasn't doing much at all right now and it's mostly random.

I think there's a reason the average w/l is hovering around 50%. Everyone that I've talked to is either mid-high 40s or mid-high 50s, only outliers are above or below those stats. There's definitely MMR.

All ranking systems are based on playtime tbh.
Even the one for Destiny for example, you can get a true skill rating from 1-50 which isn't based on playtime but when there are other people who are rated 50 it's the playtime that comes into count by cause of higher number of games and wins.
This watcher.gg site does a score per second ranking that is probably truer to performance. Also lets you see where you stand in KDA.

(My top three are Junkrat [#1,147], Widowmaker [#2,558], and Genji [#3,927].)

Grief.exe

This is inherently the problem. Everyone has this mindset - "I'm the best at killing people, so if I'm not in that role then our team is clearly at a disadvantage. Someone else should pick the healer."

Yup. And people vastly overestimate how good they are.

Maybe I am falling into that trap myself ;)

When I'm playing Lucio support on maps, I can literally feel the random players struggle to put out the damage. It's also really telling when I'm silver/gold in elims as Lucio.

mellow

I feel like a good Lucio is absolutely key in control games

I've noticed numerous times how you can literally swing the game with him, he seems the most important support in general tbh

DrArchon

So I've got this stupid idea that I wouldn't mind someone's opinion on.

I'm playing on PC with a controller (standard XBO specifically). The reason I'm doing this is because I can't stand KB/M controls for FPS games. Not the mouse part though, I love aiming with a mouse way more than an analog stick. I have massive problems with using a keyboard for movement. I do terribly in terms of moving around and my fingers can't keep track of all the extra keys needed for abilities, jumping, extra.

So, what I'm thinking is using a mouse for aiming and using my XBO controller for movement + extra abilities on L2 and LB. Is this a thing that people actually do or am I being really stupid? I seriously feel gimped in my aiming on PC, but I feel gimped with my movement and abilities when I use KB/M so I want to split the difference if possible. I know I'll have to change some buttons around so I can jump and melee and shit, or maybe even buy a proper gaming mouse with extra buttons.

Basically, does anyone do this or know anyone that does this?

Two Words

Anybody else think it's weird that Pharah's legendary outfit has her looking full Native American? Not just the armor paint. She wears war paint, has her hair styled different and I swear she looks a little bit lighter in skin tone too.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
i-f9kGfPF-2100x20000.jpg

I like the penny arcade overwatch strips

nOoblet16

I was playing with a friend last night, and it got to the point where we were always leading the team in damage done, eliminations, etc.

The problem being, we would be forced to play some kind of support roll as random players refuse to do so. It's a toss up between, do we have enough damage to win the game, or are we able to sustain their push effectively? Frankly, I noticed it was too costly to put one of us on support as we wouldn't have the damage to even be competitive otherwise, though we would play the support classes anyways.

Going to have to setup more consistent GAF groups rather than trying to beat your head against the wall with the random player base.

Maybe if you had a healer the other team members would do better?

Elimination count doesn't really mean you are doing better, a Reinhardt won't have as many elimination but is a huge asset to any team and the team might fall apart without him. I've won games where I've had gold medal for damage done and elimination despite having only 10 eliminations or so because in the end we did the job.

Yep...part of the problem.

The collision sphere on Toejob's armour pick up needs to be bigger. Idiot pubs just won't pick it up even if I leave it in the spawn door

Gorillaz

Nah sometimes I'm support and think damn I could do better as offense

Especially when we have a reaper, genji and pharah and they can't put a dent into the other team. But complain bout the healer.

You gotta actually do your part and not gently touch sn objective but you know actually attack it

This watcher.gg site does a score per second ranking that is probably truer to performance. Also lets you see where you stand in KDA.

(My top three are Junkrat [#1,147], Widowmaker [#2,558], and Genji [#3,927].)

Well according to this I should be playing a lot more Torb. I am 9-1 with him.

Edit: What are considered to be the more difficult trophies in this game? I feel like I have inadvertently got some hard ones.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Anybody else think it's weird that Pharah's legendary outfit has her looking full Native American? Not just the armor paint. She wears war paint, has her hair styled different and I swear she looks a little bit lighter in skin tone too.

Zenyatta gets an egyptian themed costume even those he's from robot nepal.

#justoverwatchthings

aeolist

Banned

I'm playing on PC with a controller (standard XBO specifically). The reason I'm doing this is because I can't stand KB/M controls for FPS games. Not the mouse part though, I love aiming with a mouse way more than an analog stick. I have massive problems with using a keyboard for movement. I do terribly in terms of moving around and my fingers can't keep track of all the extra keys needed for abilities, jumping, extra.

So, what I'm thinking is using a mouse for aiming and using my XBO controller for movement + extra abilities on L2 and LB. Is this a thing that people actually do or am I being really stupid? I seriously feel gimped in my aiming on PC, but I feel gimped with my movement and abilities when I use KB/M so I want to split the difference if possible. I know I'll have to change some buttons around so I can jump and melee and shit, or maybe even buy a proper gaming mouse with extra buttons.

i think there's wiimote nunchuck-style PC controllers you can get that are designed for offhand use with a mouse

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Her damage is pretty good up close. The problem is that people can easily outrange her so it's hard for her to finish them off.

That's why it's so easy for her to dismantle bastions and turrets. They can't run off!

Yeah, I agree. I just meant specifically removing her reload. However, it's only if you manage to ambush the Bastion (specifically), if they turn around while they're at 3/4 health or so, they can bring you down quite fast.

R0ckman

I DID but I still didnt like it. Get Motion Joy/Better DS3 and a PS Move analog stick. That makes it much easier. If you are really good with a controller you still have a chance agaisnt the average PC player too.

Grief.exe

Maybe if you had a healer the other team members would do better?

Elimination count doesn't really mean you are doing better, a Reinhardt won't have as many elimination but is a huge asset to any team and the team might fall apart without him. I've won games where I've had gold medal for damage done and elimination despite having only 10 eliminations or so because in the end we did the job.

Yep...part of the problem.

At the end of the day, a good Lucio play can make a good team great and create opportunities that weren't there.

But a good Lucio play isn't going to work miracles. If the damage classes can't compete on any level, then it's over before it began.

I DID but I still didnt like it. Get Motion Joy/Better DS3 and a PS Move analog stick. That makes it much easier. If you are really good with a controller you still have a chance agaisnt the average PC player too.

Never recommend Motion Joy.

they just need to add red blinking arrows over it and say "pick it up stupid"
it sometimes blend in people just walk by it lol.

Or a HUD indicator. Torb gets a HUD indication for all the gear pickups so don't see why others don't get something showing where the armor pickups are.

Miraculously I got the trophy where all 5 teammates are wearing your armor at the same time.

pigeon

Banned
Somebody please tell me how do I deal with these goddamn fucking turrets, I'm at the end of my wits here.

If they're Torbjorn turrets, any tank. D.Va or Zarya are most effective. Snipers are less good. Anybody with slow projectiles is also fine because they do good damage, so Pharah, Lucio, even Mei.

If they're Bastions, snipers are good, Genji's good, McCree is good, Junkrat is good.

LiK

yup, Lucio is fantastic and helps a keep a team alive. But if you're shit at killing the other team or you do a piss poor job protecting Lucio then expect to lose.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

I typically get more kills than half our team with Lucio. Best of both worlds.

Symmetra on final objective is so useless. The spawn is right there, she doesn't have time to set up turrets and her weapon is pretty bad.

If the team is roflstomping the final objective, then she can wade in with her gun and melt them at close quarters because they're forced to operate at the range she's optimal at and if they're not roflstomping the final objective, then she has time to set up turrets.

If the game will actually take both input methods at once (which sounds like it's somewhat rare) I'd definitely try it out. Never done so with a shooter, but there were actually a couple old Telltale adventure games I played using a controller for analog movement and then a mouse for pointin' and clickin'.

B.O.O.M

Well according to this I should be playing a lot more Torb. I am 9-1 with him.

Edit: What are considered to be the more difficult trophies in this game? I feel like I have inadvertently got some hard ones.

I'm 42-17 with him :D I usually have to change into Torb or Bastion towards the end of games to try and win and it works usually. According to that site my rank as Torb is #591.

I think on PC, Mcree is pretty broken. Even when I'm playing Mcree I'm like "fuck mcree" after he kills me. Getting flashbanged is so rage inducing. I literally crouch walk around the map listening for footsteps so the enemy Mcree doesn't flashbang me first.

I've played very little Mcree for the same reason I've played very little Bastion or turret dude. They are boring. Mcree is just ridiculous. E + right-click = dead. It's just dull.

R0ckman

At the end of the day, a good Lucio play can make a good team great and create opportunities that weren't there.

But a good Lucio play isn't going to work miracles. If the damage classes can't compete on any level, then it's over before it began.

Never recommend Motion Joy.

I don't use Motion Jot but I need it for Better DS3 to function. I have no issue with it at all.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
There is nothing more satisfying than boosting an ult Roadhog off a cliff with D.Va.

DrArchon

If the game will actually take both input methods at once (which sounds like it's somewhat rare) I'd definitely try it out. Never done so with a shooter, but there were actually a couple old Telltale adventure games I played using a controller for analog movement and then a mouse for pointin' and clickin'.

The game definitely does. I tried it out with Bastion where I would just run around with the analog stick and aim in turret mode with the mouse. Worked fine except for the little ability icons flipping out because they couldn't decide if they wanted to say L SHIFT or LB and such.

there's these, they have keys but also analog sticks: http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-nostromo

http://gaming.logitech.com/en-us/product/g13-advanced-gameboard

could swear i've seen some more controller-style designs but i can't find any right now

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer a more controller styled option than either of those. I'll do some of my own research during my lunch break.

Mupod

I think there's a reason the average w/l is hovering around 50%. Everyone that I've talked to is either mid-high 40s or mid-high 50s, only outliers are above or below those stats. There's definitely MMR.

I feel like not only is it not random, it's specifically trying to keep you from win streaks. If you win two matches expect to get completely rolled soon.

I was playing with a friend last night, and it got to the point where we were always leading the team in damage done, eliminations, etc.

The problem being, we would be forced to play some kind of support roll as random players refuse to do so. It's a toss up between, do we have enough damage to win the game, or are we able to sustain their push effectively? Frankly, I noticed it was too costly to put one of us on support as we wouldn't have the damage to even be competitive otherwise, though we would play the support classes anyways.

Going to have to setup more consistent GAF groups rather than trying to beat your head against the wall with the random player base.

Agreed. They lock in four heroes from the outset and none of them tend to be tank or support, so my buddy and I always have to provide those roles.

In a way I guess it's Blizzards fault for making supports and tanks, not all that enjoyable to play in comparison to the more versatile attackers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom