• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Place her turrets in choke points where people need to come through above doorways ect... then basically help support your team. Shoot out orbs or beam people if they get close enough. Don't run out into the front lines with her.

Also prepare for your turrets to get destroyed frequently. This is fine though since you can rapidly place 3 at a time. Your real ultimate goal is to get your teleporter up as soon as possible to aid your team.

Also, DON'T PLACE IT IN AN OBVIOUS PLACE. I see far too many symmetra's placing teleporters in the worst places out in the open for them to easily get destroyed.

She is best played on Defense although if you can make it work on offense for you the Teleporter can be an absolute life saver on Offense to keep the presure of a push up.

Don't listen to Demos.

Place your teleporter somewhere that I can find it easily ;)

aeolist

Banned
I told you its simply not fun to fight her, even when I kill her. Its very slow compared to other characters including tanks because she has ways to stall her death and has a very forgiving movset for her combat mistakes. I like that McCree can quickly erase her though and laser through the BS. To me she's not a healthy FPS character.

oh please, there's plenty of characters who are difficult to kill because of quick escapes or invulnerability. do you complain this much about reaper/genji/tracer/lucio/winston?

Tecnniqe

Banned
good video, what's funny is it doesn't show anything about the tickrate, that's just the favor the shooter code and an extremely high ping player.

Did you have the audio off? Its clearly talked about.

Also there is still no reason for it being that low.

I find her cannons to be kind of unsatisfying actually. It's just short range moderate damage. It's like being a weak Reaper that doesn't have to reload. There's no complexity or punch there. So the fun is purely in knowing when to engage or disengage.

I also might just be biased towards feeling like I'm contributing to the team in a very meaningful way. Not content to be just a random character that does stuff.

Her boost also physically displaces people, so another layer to your engagement is "How can I push them into a corner where they can't run away?" or "Can I bump them into the well without going down there myself?"

There's the non-mech element that is pure risk/reward. You could turtle in a corner or you could spam your (incredibly accurate and fast) attack to try to get back into your mech faster.

Her ultimate was one of the most complained about in the first few days of the game but we've all moved on to High Noon, now.

I've never played her and not felt like I'm contributing meaningfully. I didn't get the Undying trophy with her by hiding in a corner while my turret did the work. I got over 20 objective kills, lost and regained my mech three or four times, ulted at least once, and reclaimed the ground the payload gained.

peakish

What the fuck is up with people and "EZ"

I constantly have games where we make it to the final payload point but lose and then some idiot in chat says "EZ".
Gotta get that chest thumping in to prove your worth to other random players. The second lesson is to complain about your team when you lose.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Hey Blizz is poor, they don't make enough money anymore with WoW so the servers are shite.

Pls understand

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
If I could make one change to Mei, it would be that her ice block should not count as contesting the point or a payload. Any character in an invincible state should not be able to stall for time. This has been a fundamental principle in a ton of games and I am surprised that she was put in the game with the ability to do this.

Gotta get that chest thumping in to prove your worth to other random players. The second lesson is to complain about your team when you lose.

i really like it when people complain about team composition or people duplicating characters. it's just an awesome time. it's REALLY awesome when despite their whinging you still win as a team and then they go on to double-down on their opinion, and go out of their way to state "I outplayed this entire team that last round" as we watch a PotG wherein an enemy Tracer killed them twice in seven seconds (Mercy rez).

just...really an awesome human being.

pigeon

Banned
Game really needs a second main tank hero.

What does a main tank do, in your view?

I feel like Reinhardt is actually a bad champion design because he has given people a totally weird idea of what tanks are supposed to do in this game.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The only time I'll pick DVa is if I'm on offense and we already have a Reinhardt. Otherwise I feel like I'd be contributing a lot more if I just picked something else. Kind of baffles me that as many people like her as much as they do.

Are you the kinda guy who only think that yun, evil ryu and Akuma are the only legit characters to pick.

You sure you're not forgetting someone?

image.php

Mine would be:

1. D.Va
2. Tracer
3. Roadhog
4. Lucio (for those sweet environmental kills)
5. Hanzo (but this one is my bubble spot.)
She's my favorite character design by far but I haven't spent more than an hour with her I don't think. I'll fix that starting today!

peakish

i really like it when people complain about team composition or people duplicating characters. it's just an awesome time. it's REALLY awesome when despite their whinging you still win as a team and then they go on to double-down on their opinion, and go out of their way to state "I outplayed this entire team that last round" as we watch a PotG wherein an enemy Tracer killed them twice in seven seconds (Mercy rez).

just...really an awesome human being.
Mhm. I had a weird game a few days ago when two people picked Reinhardt and started to fight about it. The person who started it apparently "mained" him and didn't accept that two persons could play him. Since neither person would switch they started complaining whenever they died, saying that the other person was ruining the team etc.

Of course we won in the end and the player who whined the loudest immediately left the game lol. Good riddance to bad trash 🚮

Xeteh

I told you its simply not fun to fight her, even when I kill her. Its very slow compared to other characters including tanks because she has ways to stall her death and has a very forgiving movset for her combat mistakes. I like that McCree can quickly erase her though and laser through the BS. To me she's not a healthy FPS character.

She has an iceblock that heals for half her HP, that is the extent of her "forgiving" moveset. Her primary fire requires a few seconds of constant attacks to freeze, any break in that increases how long it takes. Any hero with a dash/escape gets out of it and puts them at the advantage. Same thing with her ultimate. The icewall only saves her if its a chokepoint.

In what way is her gameplay forgiving? Are Roadhog and Soldier all forgiving because they have self heals?

Ken

What does a main tank do, in your view?

I feel like Reinhardt is actually a bad champion design because he has given people a totally weird idea of what tanks are supposed to do in this game.

be a thing the opponent has to deal with to get through to the squishies. so a protection tank.

R0ckman

oh please, there's plenty of characters who are difficult to kill because of quick escapes or invulnerability. do you complain this much about reaper/genji/tracer/lucio/winston?

Reaper can't do anything when he phazes, I just chase him down and finish him off.

Genji has 200 HP and can't heal, Mei has 250 I believe? For Genji I switch to Winston and leap to cut him off and melt him. Lucio also melts to Winston even with self heal. Had a really good Genji player who destroyed most of my team early on in a defend the payload mission, switched to Winston and basically took him out of the game for the last half of it.

Tracer is also weak to Winston, I basically chase her until she rewinds, most of the time they won't attempt to fight me again. Sometimes striking fear by your appearance is all you need to do.

Never played a really good Winston, kill him mostly as Tracer because most of them didn't realize that they should be focusing on me. Kill Winston as Winston too.

It helps that I play most of those characters. I did play Mei a bit but she was just not fun to me, didn't have frustration with her but she didn't feel like an engaging FPS character she's built to deny dueling period, similar to Bastion. Fought a whole team of her in a wue and we destroyed them, but it was not fun, it was boring.

My top 5 in terms of preference:

1. D.Va
2. Mei
3. Junkrat
4. Widowmaker
5. Symmetra

But honestly I end up playing Symmetra almost every time on defense, at least for A.

As much as I enjoy D.Va, she really needs a buff in some area. She's too fragile to be a real tank.

Ranmo

1.Tracer
2. Soldier 76
3. D. Va
4. Winston
5. Mercy

Kind of tough since I try to be pretty diverse, but these definitely are the ones I find the most enjoyable. Would have liked to throw Bastion up there but the only time I'd consider it incredibly fun is when me and my pals are doing a protect the Bastion comp.

Here are some general tips and info that spring to mind.

General tips:
  • Look up and behind for gankers and other annoyances. Ganking is so, so effective right now because people have tunnel vision on the objective.
  • Get on the point to stop the capture bar from filling.
  • Don't be afraid to switch characters if what you're playing isn't working.
  • Crouching makes your footsteps quieter.
  • You can place things on top of the payload like Winston's bubble, Soldier 76's heal and even Torbjorn's turret.
  • Remember that snipers give vision! I've been caught before thinking I was sneaky only to be in plain sight.
  • Keep an ear out for audio cues like 'Behind you!' and things like Reaper's teleport. This also applies to enemy footsteps, of which McCree has some of the loudest in the game.
  • Use your environment! Environmental kills are quite powerful and characters that have them demand respect when near ledges.
  • Don't allow an enemy sniper to set up shop and wreck havoc. Coordinate a gank attack if you need to!
  • Killing and spawn camping a high priority target can be effective if a support or sniper is destroying your team.
  • Stacking more than 3 people on a payload doesn't make it move faster.
  • The payload heals you when near it if attacking and moves back on its own when defending if attackers haven't pushed it recently.
  • Channeled ultimates (Reaper, Roadhog, Pharah) can be cancelled by flashbang or hook.
  • Stacking ultimates is so, so effective. Even just using two like Zarya's Graviton Surge and Hanzo's Dragonstrike can wipe out a team if used well. Try to communicate when your ultimates are up so you can set up for combos.
  • Explore the character specific options in the control menu. You can adjust auto healing on Mercy's beam, change sensitivities for scoping with Widowmaker and more.

Sieging:
  • Poke Bastions/Torbjorn turrets with long range/explosives.
  • If the enemy team is bunkered down in one spot, abuse Mei's ice wall to circle around for a better vantage point or even rush them.
  • Winston, Symmetra and Reinhardt can attack through Reinhardt shield. These also apply to Genji's reflect.
  • Winston, D.va and gankers like Tracer/Genji are great for harassing Widowmakers.
  • Don't be discouraged from using your ultimate. Even if it doesn't get any kills, you can use it to deny the enemy team from certain areas where they're bunkered down, allowing you to rush in.
  • Don't underestimate Torbjorn, even without a turret. His gun can be fairly effective and if he uses his ultimate, he's surprisingly tanky.
  • If the enemy has a Symmetra, scout for the teleporter. The few moments you use to find and kill it will save you 6 free enemy respawns.

Character specific:

• Don't shoot Zarya's bubbles. Her DPS can double in 3 seconds of poor play, making her a monster.
  • Bastion has a bright blue weakspot when in sentry mode. Shoot it, it has the same multiplier as a headshot (2x).
  • Focus Mercy down before blowing your AOE ults.
  • Don't forget that Junkrat drops bombs when he dies. Don't worry, you'll forget.
  • Genji's dash cooldown is reset if you get an assist or kill.
  • When switching between forms as Bastion, your weapons are reloaded.
  • You can use D.va's defense matrix and then fly towards an enemy using her boosters.
  • Mei's ice wall can be used to climb to roofs, cross gaps and block ultimates. You can also block ultimates by ice walling right in front of them and blocking it all.
  • Mercy's damage boost buffs by 30% and Zenyatta's discord orb buffs by 50%. Mercy's damage boost can be used on certain ultimates.
  • Pharah's ultimate can be really effective used near the ground as people expect her from up high.
  • Pharah's concussive blast can be used on herself for more mobility. Junkrat has a similar ability and even Soldier 76 can use his rockets on himself for navigation.
  • McCree can throw his flashbang above Reinhardt's shield to stun him.
  • Hanzo's scatter arrow does 375 damage if all of the fragments hit. That's almost enough to one hit kill a Zarya.
  • Lucio can be hard to take down on a wall. Use it and abuse it on control points!
  • Zenyatta can 1v1 tanks easily with his discord orb and damage. If the enemy team is stacking tanks, I can think of no better counter.
  • Symmetra's primary fire increases its damage the longer it shoots. At maximum power, it does around 120 damage second.
  • A good Reinhardt knows when to turtle and when to go in. He has the most crowd control on any one hero in the game.
  • Tracer's ult can be more effective thrown on the ground than stuck to a person.
  • Use care when playing Roadhog and being a bullet sponge as the enemy can charge their ultimates quickly if you're focused often. This applies to an ulting Winston, too.

Feel free to add your own suggestions, these are just things off of the top of my head.

TheJoRu

As someone who hasn't bought the game yet, I'd love to know how well does the game's graphics scale down and perform on low-end hardware? Is it even worth buying if you're currently on a laptop with integrated graphics? What I currently have is an i5 6200U with Intel HD 520m and 8 GB RAM.

Won't be getting a gaming PC for a little while, but would love to get my hands on the game before then.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Are you talking about Zarya?

No, I don't think so, or I am very bad at playing her as the main tank. Her shields don't come often enough to do that.

Really, it's only rein that does that. Winston sorta in that his shield is more for initiating a point but in my experience it can't give the long lasting protection a rein gives.

Zarya isn't there to protect squishies, roadhog isn't there to protect squishies, Winston isn't there to protect squishies and d.va isn't there to protect squishies.

Hmm, who to get some more time in with today? I truly love playing Reinhardt, but I'd also love to get my groove on with some of the characters I haven't spent as much time with. Maybe Roadhog, though I don't really like his ultimate.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
As someone who hasn't bought the game yet, I'd love to know how well does the game's graphics scale down and perform on low-end hardware? Is it even worth buying if you're currently on a laptop with integrated graphics? What I currently have is an i5 6200U with Intel HD 520m and 8 GB RAM.

Won't be getting a gaming PC for a little while, but would love to get my hands on the game before then.

I can't say for sure, but I know people have had it running on things like Surface Pros without too much problem. You have to turn the settings down, of course, but you don't need a beast of a machine to run it.

SDCowboy

If you're with randoms I can only imagine it went something like this "No trust me I'm really good at sniping, tell 1 of the other Widowmakers to switch to a healer."

No it broke out over the healer not healing well enough and all hell broke lose from there. haha

Ken

No, I don't think so, or I am very bad at playing her as the main tank. Her shields don't come often enough to do that.

Really, it's only rein that does that. Winston sorta in that his shield is more for initiating a point but in my experience it can't give the long lasting protection a rein gives.

Zarya isn't there to protect squishies, roadhog isn't there to protect squishies, Winston isn't there to protect squishies and d.va isn't there to protect squishies.

Yeah which is why I said the game needs a second main tank because there's not even "roughly only 2.".

Winston's shield is way too fragile for anything than a clutch ult block IMO, and his body isn't great either. A+ tank for picking out squishies though.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Yesterday I was thinking that Mei is more of a MOBA character, and also that MacCree is one of the heroes I still have to look out for with her. Sometimes my ice block doesn't save me after getting flashed.

LordofPwn

according to The Unit Lost it's stupid/idiotic/absurd to rank the characters.
the rest of their content is really good

1. Widow
2. Genji
3. Mei
4. Junkrat
5. Lucio
6. Pharah
7. D.Va
8. McCree
9. Zarya
10. Hanzo
11. Reaper
12. Mercy
13. Roadhog
14. Soldier 76
15. Winston
16. Symettra
17. Reinhardt
18. Tracer
19. Torbjorn
20. Bastion
21. Zenyatta

LiK

Was trying to get Smooth as Silk trophy but ended up getting a lot of kills as Widow and completely dominating the attacking team lol

Xeteh

Yesterday I was thinking that Mei is more of a MOBA character, and also that MacCree is one of the heroes I still have to look out for with her. Sometimes my ice block doesn't save me after getting flashed.

You can't iceblock out of his stun, you have to wait until it wears off so you have to hope he's awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom