• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played a match against 5 Torbjorns on Numbani a few minutes ago. That was a real treat. Couple of things I learned:

-Pharah does in fact work great against turrets if you're comfortable with running back to get health pickups after blowing one up. You kinda have to kill Torb along with the turret though or he'll just make another one right there. Her ult is still garbage though with that many turrets, because one of them will focus fire you out of the sky while you're killing another.

-Molten Core is fucking busted. Makes the turret effectively invulnernable and makes Torb just as good at killing people if his aim is good. When it turns on, you basically can't go near the objective for 10 whole seconds, and with 5 Torbs it meant that it was rarely never on. That's the only reason we lost, because every time we tried to push someone turned on Molten Core and pushed everyone back.

-Numbani is a shitty map for Torb because there are so many wide open spaces where you can get LoS on him and the turret without either knowing. 2 Widowmakers on my team just went ham. Pity they couldn't get near enough to push the objective.

Two things with this:

A good Torb will make killing him and the turret difficult by being nowhere near his turret. For myself, I rarely ever stand by mine, and I generally don't "fight" it being destroyed. Repositioning turrets is a big part of the strategy.

However, it is worth remembering that a turret that gets thrown right up is pretty damn weak and easy to knock out, so if you see the Torb throwing his new baby up, go after it.

Yeah I don't really need them to nerf any part of torbjorn other than fucking molten core.
I'm not sure that this is a good solution, but personally I'd like to see Molten Core just be about Torb, rather than the turret. That makes it a bit more "skill" based, rather than relying on the buffed up, auto-aim turret to destroy everything for you. I guess part of the fun is the level 3 turret, but personally, I generally use Molten Core for the attack speed buff and the armor it gives me. Sometimes I even drop it without the turret being up.

Apathy

I'm not sure that this is a good solution, but personally I'd like to see Molten Core just be about Torb, rather than the turret. That makes it a bit more "skill" based, rather than relying on the buffed up, auto-aim turret to destroy everything for you. I guess part of the fun is the level 3 turret, but personally, I generally use Molten Core for the attack speed buff and the armor it gives me. Sometimes I even drop it without the turret being up.

I would do anything for turrets to not have snap aggro 360 degrees. Why would it know I was behind it if the targeting laser is in front. Ok if I go behind it without it seeing me I should be safe until I set it off then it can turn.

Heng

Anyone else have trouble with playing with Zenyatta? Every time I pick him, the healer decide to play something else... I mean he can heal but I don't think he's suited to be the only healer.

DrArchon

Two things with this:

A good Torb will make killing him and the turret difficult by being nowhere near his turret. For myself, I rarely ever stand by mine, and I generally don't "fight" it being destroyed. Repositioning turrets is a big part of the strategy.

However, it is worth remembering that a turret that gets thrown right up is pretty damn weak and easy to knock out, so if you see the Torb throwing his new baby up, go after it.

All true, however it's worth noting that with 5 Torbjorn turrets it's very difficult to go after a newly made lvl1 turret once it gets re-positioned because they all cover so much space.

And yeah when I play Torb I never stick too close by to my turret, mostly because I run out to get scrap. That being said I also never put it in a place that can be easily hit by common AoE attacks, like Junkrat grenades and Pharah rockets. I sacrifice the raw area coverage of putting it out in the open for survivability and that surprise factor for tricky flankers.

RowdyReverb

Anyone else have trouble with playing with Zenyatta? Every time I pick him, the healer decide to play something else... I mean he can heal but I don't think he's suited to be the only healer.
Every time I pick him, I think I should have just picked Mercy

I would do anything for turrets to not have snap aggro 360 degrees. Why would it know I was behind it if the targeting laser is in front. Ok if I go behind it without it seeing me I should be safe until I set it off then it can turn.
I find it hilarious that I can stick a turret "backwards," and it'll still kill people instantly.

I guess a slower turning speed might be appropriate. I still don't think that's a big issue though.
He shouldn't be a solo healer for sure. I only play him if I'm sure that we have a Lucio or Mercy to do the main workload.
All true, however it's worth noting that with 5 Torbjorn turrets it's very difficult to go after a newly made lvl1 turret once it gets re-positioned because they all cover so much space.

And yeah when I play Torb I never stick too close by to my turret, mostly because I run out to get scrap. That being said I also never put it in a place that can be easily hit by common AoE attacks, like Junkrat grenades and Pharah rockets. I sacrifice the raw area coverage of putting it out in the open for survivability and that surprise factor for tricky flankers.
That's true about the 5 Torb coverage issue.

At anything above a "pup" level, 5 Torbs should be a pretty weak team. But without some decent coordination, they'll definitely be hard to take.

I definitely agree with your turret placement theory. I generally do the same.

Grisby

Finally got in some wins.

As Zarya, I love it when you pop a shield onto a Mercy and then you pop yours. I feel like Tony Montana from Scarface.

"C'mon! I take all your bullets!"
That's my secret captain

I'm always angry
Ha ha. Felt like turning green for my play sessions before the last one.

BY2K

Membero Americo
MVP - 85% of the Match on Fire as Reinhardt. Can't even get a freaking goddamn Epic Card.

At least I got a crate by leveling up, maybe I'll get something go...

GbGWvnS.jpg

qjIXVep.gif

And the first spray on the left is a fucking duplicate that gave me 5 goddamn coins.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
How about Moltern Core not resetting turret HP?

Would be nice. Also not give him that insane amount of armour.

I actually don't mind his lvl 3 turret form, it's just making Torb insane also is kinda... eh. Makes a co-ordinated torbjorn team hard to approach.

RowdyReverb

Finally got in some wins.

As Zarya, I love it when you pop a shield onto a Mercy and then you pop yours. I feel like Tony Montana from Scarface.

"C'mon! I take all your bullets!"

Ha ha. Felt like turning green for my play sessions before the last one.
Also fun to throw a barrier on an idiot offense player who plunges head first into a group of 4 enemies. You're not going to save them but hey, 50 charge points into your cannon right there. At least they died for something
Sym on Numbani defense tho

I'm in love

She is truly amazing.

We ran a double Sym defense on Anubus and just wiped the floor with the opposing team.
What's the general strategy with her? I can't seem to make her work for me

DrArchon

qjIXVep.gif

And the first spray on the left is a fucking duplicate that gave me 5 goddamn coins.

Yeah, I got trolled by my last loot box too. See a purple trail from an epic drop, get all excited for a cool skin or a PotG intro, get 150 coins. Not even enough for a real purple drop.

It's your chance to level up, or you could tell people where the health packs are lol

psyfi

Banned
Yeah I don't really need them to nerf any part of torbjorn other than fucking molten core.
Yeah? Those are one of the ults I always yawn at. It seems only mildly effective, but I usually play as Lucio, so I guess my survivability is high enough to make it a non-issue. I usually pop my ult in response and pump my healing boost, and most of my team makes it out fine. Hiding from the turret is vital tho.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just won with randoms anubis attack side with no healer.

MartyStu

What's the general strategy with her? I can't seem to make her work for me

Pretty easy:

-Shield your entire team before the match starts. Remember to refresh as needed when they die.
-Lay down turrets in places that are difficult to predict or quickly find: bushes, under cars, above egress/ingress points.
-Use alt-fire to hit people behind Reinhart or those Reinhart himself.
-Latch onto squishies on point and evade them as you burn through their health with primary fire
-Bring up your teleporter ASAP. You should be able to in the first minute. Put it somewhere close to the battle, but out of the way enough to not allow the opposing team to stumble across it.

Speely

Banned
He's pretty good at both and his specialty is flanking, particularly from a height advantage.Use his alt fire and heal yourself when needed. His ult is pretty nuts.

He's super versatile, you can take him anywhere.

Soldier 76 is very useful and requires a lot of tracking skill. Against tanks, landing those headshots significantly increases damage output. And you can even 1v1 a sniper if you land your helix rocket and a couple head/body shots, provided they don't just headshot you.

Then soldier 76 is also good against a lot characters at midrange, including the ever popular mccree. Mccree's shots deal 70, so with healing 15 hp off biotic field (heals 40 per second), mccree has to land 4 shots of damage. And you have helix which hits for over half his hp on a direct hit.

Helix is perhaps his most important tool in fights. It lets him get significant peek damage and it's knock back throws people's aim off (like roadhog just chained someone, you hit them with a helix rocket before he shoots and he is likely to miss the kill). In that sense, helix is quite good utility as well. If you're ever having trouble in a particular match up, just think of ways to get helix to turn it. And never discount the headshot damage + fire rate of his weapon. It can really win fights going in the worst ways for you.

Even vs tracer, soldier 76 has a decent to good match up because 120 damage is 2 bodyshots away from finishing a tracer off.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice :) I am ready to get into shooterman.

I feel like the competitive meta is likely to be quite different on console regarding Widow / Hanzo. Having a sniper on your team is often helpful, but it's just plain harder to achieve the level of accuracy required on console, and the limited FoV in scoped mode, and lack of close ranged damage output leaves you super vulnerable with Widow. Not so much with Hanzo, who can one-shot close range aggressors with well-placed scatter arrows, and is generally more forgiving than Widow.

Map knowledge helps too, once you know a widows position you can countersnipe them without being visible due to variances in terrain elevation. I outsniped some widow maker in my last game more than 5 times in a row.

He's also good at tearing Winston and Reinheart apart, his scatter arrow can deal 375 damage in a single shot to a shield, so hanzo himself can deal 875 damage within around five seconds. That's huge a huge amount of damage that even Reinhearts shield cannot withstand for long.

nerf to fan for sure, just cause it's being used as a primary instead of a secondary

I think they're just gonna put a cooldown on it so he can't burst tanks. The issue is the double fan combo. People need to live with the fact that if you meet McCree close range he's going up kill you. That's what he does.

Heng

Every time I pick him, I think I should have just picked Mercy
He shouldn't be a solo healer for sure. I only play him if I'm sure that we have a Lucio or Mercy to do the main workload.
Yeah when the other healer decides Zenyatta is good enough to be a solo healer, I switch to Lucio. I really want to give him a chance, maybe I need to form a premade group.

It's your chance to level up, or you could tell people where the health packs are lol
The problem is that everyone goes out of range/LoS of me and then complain I suck at healing... Yeah I'm going to over extend with a DPS who wouldn't even protect me with a character who has the lowest health out of all the characters... Eventually I'll get better with him, maybe good enough to solo heal with him.

Zomba13

Yeah, I got trolled by my last loot box too. See a purple trail from an epic drop, get all excited for a cool skin or a PotG intro, get 150 coins. Not even enough for a real purple drop.

I got excited by a purple and of course, it was a duplicate of the one Reinhardt POTG intro that I got a box or two ago...

I think they're just gonna put a cooldown on it so he can't burst tanks. The issue is the double fan combo. People need to live with the fact that if you meet McCree close range he's going up kill you. That's what he does.

Well he also does more damage than most at mid range too, so it's not just up-close that McCree is dominant, and the issue isn't that he's good at doing what he does, he's better at it than anyone else in his tier of character. McCree is build like a solid all around mid-close kind of fighter, Reaper is the one that should be dominating up close, but Reaper is just a free kill to McCree. The guy that only has two shotguns to fight, can be instantly killed in close quarters with no opportunity to respond. That's a huge design oversight.

I think if he stays the way he is, even with fan the hammer given a small cooldown, it wont shift his presence as the best competitive attacker, which would cause people to continue to complain, and Blizzard will feel the need to address it quickly, otherwise the influence it has on variety in the competitive meta is going to be rather negative.

I think his stun needs addressing more than anything else. No character should offer an instant-kill if you get within 15 feet of them, regardless of the close range presence they are supposed to have. . The biggest problem with FtH is that you don't get to fight back. You can't outplay it, or mitigate its efficacy with your own skill, he stuns and that's it, your dead, and there aren't many ways to avoid the stun.

Take a look at Roadhog, he's a comparable character with a instant-kill up close, the difference is that there's a possibility you can miss his skill shot and he doesn't have an alternate power with similar functionality. Even if McCree misses stun, he can just FtH the can roll and FtH again.

As Genji I have been at the other end of this far too many times. I parry mcree and cause him to stun himself, logically I outplayed him here but it just doesn't matter, he can FtH anyway and even if that doesn't kill me, he can roll and do it again. The bigger issue is how easy the stun is to land though. Maybe it should need to be a direct hit to work, maybe it should work as a flash bang with a small aoe, rather than a stun?

The problem is that everyone goes out of range/LoS of me and then complain I suck at healing... Yeah I'm going to over extend with a DPS who wouldn't even protect me with a character who has the lowest health out of all the characters... Eventually I'll get better with him, maybe good enough to solo heal with him.

If it's people like that, I wouldn't worry. Not even Mercy can heal bad decisions

R0ckman

Wow had a KotH group that was good enough to take out Bast Rein Mercy combo quickly but bad enough to let them set up over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom