• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeteh

I did this last night. Got one legendary. I hate myself but I'm enjoying the game.

The very first box I opened of the 24 was Legendary coins and legendary Genji Sparrow. One of the last boxes gave me Pharah's Raptorian skin.

The real winner was Mei's Frosty :) highlight intro.

Rad-

What people do you most dislike/like seeing on your team? Besides Lucio and Mercy.

Dislike - D.Va, Mei, Zenyatta as only heals
Like - Zarya, Symettra, Reinhardt

It triggers me seeing Widowmaker get selected in attack. You have to be pretty good to be useful that way.

Xeteh

Teleporting tips, set it up the opposite direction you want others to walk out.

1yrnL5j.jpg

People seem to miss those arrows.

Just watched Seagull dismantle an enemy team on stream as Genji. Went 36 and 1. They weren't even making it 50m out of spawn before getting killed. Of course he had a pocket healer but still.

Was like watching the Matrix or something.

Imaging you are fighting a freaking beast and on top of that you have to kill him twice, he should play more without his pocket medic for streams, I mean if he is not competing why a pocket medic? I want to see him more in real life situations against other players that might get occasionally healed or not, he's so good anyways.
But god tier Genji player than on top of that is constantly being healed is not interesting for me to watch.

I'm rapidly losing confidence in Genji as players get better. People are learning not to shoot at him while he's deflecting, including Bastion. His risk is far higher than Tracer's, but his damage output isn't as consistent. That many squishy characters have very thin hitboxes makes his primary targets also the most difficult for him to hit. His reload time is too long. And despite being the hardest character to play, he's no harder to counter than any other character, losing to Roadhog, McCree, and Torbjorn. I feel like someone will try to dispute this with "well (insert Seagull/ any insanely good player) does well with him," but then, what does that matter? He's not even picked nearly as often as Tracer as far as I know. He doesn't harass as well as Tracer, he doesn't pick off single targets as well as Widowmaker. I feel like he's in this weird middle ground where he simply does a lot of things merely okay, and that buffing him wouldn't solve anything, he simply struggles within the game that Overwatch is.

Man, I bought 24 yesterday and I immediately realized its a good thing I don't have a ton of money to spend on random shit because opening those lootboxes is so fucking addicting.

I did this last night. Got one legendary. I hate myself but I'm enjoying the game.

Lol, I live streamed it for DGAF - Got the tracer racing legendary a few decent skins/emotes and about 1350 gold, so I bought everything else I want (Pharah Anubis and the Lucio running man dance are the GOAT) and have 850 left

We're currently mooting some sort of weekly bet/pool for a 50 loot crate

NZerker12

Wait till you reflect back sniper shots to one shot Widows.

Genji is super fun one he clicks. I had a great attacking match on Hollywood with him last night where I went 21-2 and got POTG and we won.

I'm nowhere near that good the highest amount of kills I got with Genji is about 12, I am still trying to learn him.

Zaventem

Holy fucking shit. I have to literally spam group up for people to push forward in pubs as reinhardt. So frustrating everyone wants to play TDM.

How the hell do you aim Winston's leap? Is it always the same distance? Can you steer it in mid air? He is next up on my rotation of characters to play for a few rounds but I feel so incompetent with him.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When do you guys give up on heroes? No matter how much I try I can't click with any of the "dps" guys except 76. I havent touched Genji or Pharah but I just cant play Tracer/Mcree/Reaper. I think its because i cant flank for shit or be sneaky (I always hated "rogue-types" in games) so im just trash with those 3, and I assume Genji will be the same.

Same goes for Roadhog on tanks and Widowmaker/Bastion on defenders. Just cant play or more importantly enjoy them at all (which makes getting better at them hard).

To be fair I have a solid stable of heroes I play now, Winston is clicking with me now so thats another tank to add to Rein and Zarya, I have my pocket Lucio/Mercy for when theres a need for a healer, I love Symmetra, for defense I usually go Hanzo, Tor, Junk or Sym, and when theres need for dps I go Hanzo if theres no sniper, or switch around between Junk/76/Mei if we need to push and not so much snipe a turret or a Bastion. Thats what, 11 or 12 guys for any role? Not too bad I think.

I was playing with a friend of mine and we barely lost offense on King's Row. He was playing Zarya, landed several ults. The rest of the team was relatively quiet. After we lose two of them (assuming they were also grouped) instantly said "Zarya, you're fucking useless" "way to ult once zarya".

.....what? He even hits the ult charge hotkey to let people know. People just want to bitch.

True. Too many people can't handle the fact that sometimes your opponents are better, or made smarter hero picks, or simply outplayed you that round.

This game seems like Dota where certain heroes are more scrutinized than others. Doesn't matter if you did good or not. You probably didn't do something he thought you SHOULD do (or he's trolling you).

In Dota 2 I could play good or bad with Undying. No one gives a fuck either way. I'm left alone. If I miss one hook with Pudge I'm worthless, I need to uninstall and my family should be killed.

Haha, good point. That's why I hated playing mid in Dota. Everyone is up your ass if you lose the lane.

Widowmaker's ultimate is probably the most broken in the game. Wall hack without the enemy team knowing their position has been compromised? Yep, overpowered.

They need to let the other team know through an audio cue of some sort that they have nowhere to hide. I mean, literally every other ultimate in the game has audio cues. Teleporter? Teammates will let you know there is one and if they find it too.

???

There is definitely an audio cue. You hear her say her "Noone can hide from my sight" line in French. Just like when an enemy Mercy uses her revive, she says her "Heroes never die" line in German. That's how you can tell it's an enemy ult.

DarkKyo

I'm rapidly losing confidence in Genji as players get better. People are learning not to shoot at him while he's deflecting, including Bastion.

The trick is to wait until the enemy starts shooting to begin deflecting, don't just run at them and deflect as soon as they see you hoping you'll catch some bullets. You need to really read them. Ideally you shouldn't be out in the open long enough for them to kill you(so deflect time + escape time, OR if you are close enough, deflect time + time it takes to get the kill), so just time your appearances better. Genji hasn't dropped off in effectiveness and I don't think he ever will, you just have to become really efficient and crafty with him to do well.

True. Too many people can't handle the fact that sometimes your opponents are better, or made smarter hero picks, or simply outplayed you that round.

There is a TON of this. Sometimes we just get crushed by better, smarter players with quicker reaction time and better teammates.

Doesn't really mean any of these characters def needs a nerf/buff.

aeolist

Banned
???

There is definitely an audio cue. You hear her say her "Noone can hide from my sight" line in French. Just like when an enemy Mercy uses her revive, she says her "Heroes never die" line in German. That's how you can tell it's an enemy ult.

there's a cue but it's quieter than most and isn't global. if she pops it far enough away you can't hear it at all.

Kyoufu

???

She's a sniper. She does it far away so you can't hear her.

so triple question mark right back atcha.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Imaging you are fighting a freaking beast and on top of that you have to kill him twice, he should play more without his pocket medic for streams, I mean if he is not competing why a pocket medic? I want to see him more in real life situations against other players that might get occasionally healed or not, he's so good anyways.
But god tier Genji player than on top of that is constantly being healed is not interesting for me to watch.

Seagul is amazing but yeah that pocket Mercy (its a pocket dmg buff also dont forget) cant hurt. I actually think about that a lot as Ive been slighyly improving my Hanzo play, like the amount of times I snipe aomeone and they have a sliver of health left, if I had that buff it would have been a kill. Or when im on a hot streak and finally get killed, would be nice to instantly be ressurected. Not to mention when youre low health and have to get a health pack, or simply walk around with half health, something he never does.

Do not mistake this for even remotely shitting on his skills, or even thinking that im saying "well if I had a pocket Mercy I'd be as good lol", its just something I think about when Im playing Hanzo and run into those situations.

TaterTots

Banned
My only complaint about the game so far is it feels like I'm playing the same maps over and over. I mean, I've booted up the game 3 times today and all 3 times it put me on Kings Row. I play that map far more than the others I believe. It's always the payload maps too. I rarely get to play the KOTH ones. Is it just bad luck?

HELL OF A EDIT: Just clicked search for game....guess where I'm at? KINGS FUCKIN ROW FOR A FOURTH TIME. This cannot be coincidence.

The trick is to wait until the enemy starts shooting to begin deflecting, don't just run at them and deflect as soon as they see you hoping you'll catch some bullets. You need to really read them. Ideally you shouldn't be out in the open long enough for them to kill you(so deflect time + escape time, OR if you are close enough, deflect time + time it takes to get the kill), so just time your appearances better. Genji hasn't dropped off in effectiveness and I don't think he ever will, you just have to become really efficient and crafty with him to do well.

Then they simply stop shooting as soon as you deflect. That only works against Pharah and Junkrat, since you can bait them or deflect on reaction. Anyone with hitscan, they merely stop shooting for 2 seconds.

Lesath

My only complaint about the game so far is it feels like I'm playing the same maps over and over. I mean, I've booted up the game 3 times today and all 3 times it put me on Kings Row. I play that map far more than the others I believe. It's always the payload maps too. I rarely get to play the KOTH ones. Is it just bad luck?

Probably feels that way because they replay a map but switch roles for payload, but koth are usually best of 3 matches that don't repeat.

Seagul is amazing but yeah that pocket Mercy (its a pocket dmg buff also dont forget) cant hurt. I actually think about that a lot as Ive been slighyly improving my Hanzo play, like the amount of times I snipe aomeone and they have a sliver of health left, if I had that buff it would have been a kill. Or when im on a hot streak and finally get killed, would be nice to instantly be ressurected. Not to mention when youre low health and have to get a health pack, or simply walk around with half health, something he never does.

Do not mistake this for even remotely shitting on his skills, or even thinking that im saying "well if I had a pocket Mercy I'd be as good lol", its just something I think about when Im playing Hanzo and run into those situations.

Totally understandable, that's why teams with 2 healers are hard to beat.

ExVicis

Being Reinhardt on Lijiang tower is possibly the most fun one can have in this game. All I do is charge people off cliffs. That's all I do. I don't even care if I die with them, just the act of getting them off the map with me into death like that is awesome.

DarkKyo

Then they simply stop shooting as soon as you deflect. That only works against Pharah and Junkrat, since you can bait them or deflect on reaction. Anyone with hitscan, they merely stop shooting for 2 seconds.

Deflect is mostly used to cross distances without taking damage then, don't use it as your primary source of damage. Your main damage should be your shurikens, ultimate, and the finisher skill. Deflect can be used to get some extra damage and a rare kill in, but it sounds like you're depending on it for the wrong things...

pigeon

Banned
How the hell do you aim Winston's leap? Is it always the same distance? Can you steer it in mid air? He is next up on my rotation of characters to play for a few rounds but I feel so incompetent with him.

Winston's leap is basically just a big rocket boost in whatever direction you're facing, followed by losing all momentum when you contact the ground and splashing everybody around you.

So aiming his leap is mostly a matter of pointing your viewport along the parabola you want to travel on. If you point too low, you'll hit the ground too quickly. You want to point upwards. Kinematics, bro!

Rhaknar

I dont even get mad when I die from random Hanzo arrows or Junk grenades that clearly werent meant for me.

Because I play both lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom