• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you communicate with your team? I find that very often, random pub groups are begging for someone to lead them, they just don't know it yet. I'll often rally my team by keeping up the voice chat and making it clear that I'm there for them. It works more often than you might think.

I always appreciate it when people take the time to communicate. Unless I'm in a group I usually leave the mic off as I'd rather hear the game through my surround set rather than my headset since I don't have a desktop mic.

Zarya looks so fun but I'm terribad so whenever I use her I do basically nothing lol. We played a really good one yesterday that was always fully charged and protecting teammates non-stop and she just destroyed us. Never seemed like we could kill her. It was really annoying. :(

Best thing to do to counter Zarya is to just not shoot her when her barrier is up. Her damage is actually pretty ridiculous at 70%+ charge. Enough for you to be able to wipe teams with her ult using the alt fire on her cannon.

mbpm1

tumblr_o8207l5hII1s60x66o1_540.jpg

Zyae

Zarya is so great, man. I wish people would talk about her playstyle more. Shielding teammates at the perfect time is a wonderful feeling - getting them off on a player right before or after a Roadhog hook, protecting your ulting McCrees and Pharahs, saving someone from a Rein charge, saving both yourself and another from Junkrat's tire, etc - and at max energy she just melts targets.

Speaking of Junkrat's tire, I think some people may not realize that about Zarya's shields - they prevent overkill damage. Anything that would have hit you for automatic lethal damage just won't kill you if you have that shield up. That's why she can protect people from stuff like Junkrat's ult and Reinhardt's charge. Very often if I think my team won't get to the tire in time, I'll just try to intercept and tank it with my self-barrier.

Really good mix of survivability, damage, and strong utility to your team through her barriers and A+ ult. She's just so good.

She's also both my most-played and highest winrate hero. The natural leadership postion tanks take combined with how great Zarya is at saving both herself and others from lethal damage means she's probably one of the best solo-queue heroes.

Zarya is intimidating at first but a ton of fun to play. I had a few 30+ elimination rounds as her the other night and her ultimate can just win games.

Zarya looks so fun but I'm terribad so whenever I use her I do basically nothing lol. We played a really good one yesterday that was always fully charged and protecting teammates non-stop and she just destroyed us. Never seemed like we could kill her. It was really annoying. :(

What type of match is she best used for?

Yeah, both Zarya and Lucio are definitely the most underrated heroes of the cast. You'd think people would be down with playing as Lucio, as he's basically Jet Set Radio: The Character.

Lucio is my most played hero. I just wish I could get one of his hockey legendary skins.

> Play as Soldier 76
> Offense on Numbani
> On fire for most of the game
> Had a Hanzo and Widowmaker not doing shit
> We lose
> I get a bunch of gold medals and MVP card
> "fucking noob team, useless soldier 76"

1u2L0.gif

Solo queue is sometimes OK, but too often it's unbearable.

Man loads of salt here for McCree. Though there are piles of it for everyone. Everybody always hates on who they get killed by and aren't playing.

Game is so well balanced as is... it's honestly pretty amazing for release. I'm sure things will get tweaked even further but it's a solid fucking start if you ask me! (the months of actual Beta has helped)

Actual

Doesn't work when your entire offense is flankers.

That's very true.

In one match as Reinhardt, my team thought it would be good to pick two Reapers, a Junkrat, a Hanzo and a Genji. It was completely ridiculous. We got destroyed instantly.

Mr. Robot

Yeah, both Zarya and Lucio are definitely the most underrated heroes of the cast. You'd think people would be down with playing as Lucio, as he's basically Jet Set Radio: The Character.

Lucio is my favorite supporter, all around a great character, and the voice in the spanish vo is awesome...

Zeliard

Also for all you Mei haters, Zarya is also a good solution there. :p Her shields negate Mei's freezing ability both for you and teammates so long as you get the shields off before you're completely frozen. This makes Zarya one of the more difficult targets for Mei to deal with since she can just just barrier herself through the ice beam and Mei has to then iceblock or wall not to feel the Zarya wrath. And even if she does freeze you, she can't one-shot you.

It's also a great way to deal with Mei's ult. Very useful on the KotH maps where you often see Mei, and her ult in those small objective areas can be devastating.

fuzzyset

I allllways see Lucios, but rarely Zarya unless I'm playing her. I think she is my favorite to play though. Grav well + 100% cannon is the best.

Also for all you Mei haters, Zarya is also a good solution there. :p Her shields negate Mei's freezing ability both for you and teammates so long as you get the shields off before you're completely frozen. This makes Zarya one of the more difficult targets for Mei to deal with since she can just just barrier herself through the ice beam and Mei has to then iceblock or wall not to feel the Zarya wrath. And even if she does freeze you, she can't one-shot you.

It's also a great way to deal with Mei's ult. Very useful on the KotH maps where you often see Mei, and her ult in those small objective areas can be devastating.

I always for get to try, but can you destroy the freeze bomb?

Zarya is so great, man. I wish people would talk about her playstyle more. Shielding teammates at the perfect time is a wonderful feeling - getting them off on a player right before or after a Roadhog hook, protecting your ulting McCrees and Pharahs, saving someone from a Rein charge, saving both yourself and another from Junkrat's tire, etc - and at max energy she just melts targets.

Speaking of Junkrat's tire, I think some people may not realize that about Zarya's shields - they prevent overkill damage. Anything that would have hit you for automatic lethal damage just won't kill you if you have that shield up. That's why she can protect people from stuff like Junkrat's ult and Reinhardt's charge. Very often if I think my team won't get to the tire in time, I'll just try to intercept and tank it with my self-barrier.

Really good mix of survivability, damage, and strong utility to your team through her barriers and A+ ult. She's just so good.

She's also both my most-played and highest winrate hero. The natural leadership postion tanks take combined with how great Zarya is at saving both herself and others from lethal damage means she's probably one of the best solo-queue heroes.

I wish I could get her down. I really do. I had one really good game with her and then just a grouping of head-scratchers. She's all about timing. Almost like a rhythm. Maybe I just need more time with her.

Regarding those shields, even if there's only 1 hp left on your barrier, it still prevents lethal damage like Junkrat's tire. There's no trample damage a la Magic the Gathering.

I played a round as Pharah the other day with a good Zarya in the group. She popped the ult, I shot a single rocket into the middle of it and got a triple kill. I don't even have to tell you what the POTG was!
Turret kills...

Mupod

It's funny that she's my best and most played character, but my win rate on Zarya is nothing special. I pull her out to try and salvage a bad team but sometimes there's just no saving them.

Saving people from Roadhog post-hook is the best. So much energy and they walk off scot-free.

As an aside I definitely ran into a Zeliard while playing, didn't think to ask if it was you though.

Xeteh

> Play as Soldier 76
> Offense on Numbani
> We lose

I was playing with a friend of mine and we barely lost offense on King's Row. He was playing Zarya, landed several ults. The rest of the team was relatively quiet. After we lose two of them (assuming they were also grouped) instantly said "Zarya, you're fucking useless" "way to ult once zarya".

.....what? He even hits the ult charge hotkey to let people know. People just want to bitch.

fuzzyset

I wish I could get her down. I really do. I had one really good game with her and then just a grouping of head-scratchers. She's all about timing. Almost like a rhythm. Maybe I just need more time with her.

Regarding those shields, even if there's only 1 hp left on your barrier, it still prevents lethal damage like Junkrat's tire. There's no trample damage a la Magic the Gathering.

I played a round as Pharah the other day with a good Zarya in the group. She popped the ult, I shot a single rocket into the middle of it and got a triple kill. I don't even have to tell you what the POTG was!
Turret kills...

I usually play with a group, so we always have a healer which really helps her as she can be a bit squishy. Half her health is shields though, so make sure you back off. It'll recharge that 200 of shields after 3 secs of no dmg. Put pressure on choke / sniper points with your grenades as the enemy has no idea if you're charged or not. You can usually get people to scatter and then try to engage 1on1.

Care using zarya ult near mei though, she can just pop up a wall and get her team out.

Cool I'll give her a try tonight. I bet she's pretty good at protecting reinhardts flank at close range as well

She punishes flankers for sure. Good at insuring ults go through, too. Especially with say, Pharah. That two second shield should be plenty of time for her to destroy anyone clumped up with her barrage.

pigeon

Banned
All these wild claims of Mccree downing tanks with one Fan is just fairy tales. Can you show me a video where Mccree kills full hp tank with armor from one fan? Heck is there even any video evidence of Mcree taking out tanks with no armor but full hp with one fan?

It's not one fan, it's two fans, since he gets a roll in between.

Blues1990

Lucio is my most played hero. I just wish I could get one of his hockey legendary skins.

Lucio is my favorite supporter, all around a great character, and the voice in the spanish vo is awesome...

I allllways see Lucios, but rarely Zarya unless I'm playing her. I think she is my favorite to play though. Grav well + 100% cannon is the best.

You mean Snowball? I honestly never tried, as I thought the little guy was invincible.

And it's cool to see Lucio getting some love, as I remember people not liking him, due to being a stereotype Brazilian DJ. The guy oozes with cool & his beats are pretty tasty, if you ask me.

Bummer that people are afraid of trying Zarya, either due to her intimidating physical appearance, her hairstyle, or her tough learning curve. Zarya is a challenging Tank to play, though she's one of the most rewarding when played well. Yeah, she's the softest of the tanks & the shield only provides a short-duration, but this mountain of Russian muscle is able to cleave through teams.

vypek

Lol, I like to stand point blank in front of her as Junkrat and spam 'Who's up for some barbecue?' until she's out of it.

Lol. I had a match in the beta where someone was attacking our Anubis B and she did ice shell. Threw down a mine and just waited for her to come out. She lost most of her HP and got send back so far. I love when a team is ready to take out a Mei when they are out of the ice

Trey

They should take away ice block entirely. Buff her some other way to compensate, whatever. But the ice is insane. It's infuriating. She can lose every single 1v1 badly and still get away because she just taps a button to ice herself (and it's got server priority), and then a team fight breaks out and she scampers away.

It's Halo: Reach and Armor Lock all over again. You lost. Just die. Die like any decent human creature would. You dead-eyed, left-mouse-holding, insufferable little ice witch.

Armor lock is exactly what I'm reminded of. But Overwatch thrives on fuckery and aimbots and traps and all kinds of low skill (in and of themselves), high impact shit. so it doesn't bother me here quite as much as it did in Halo.

eek5

What type of match is she best used for?

It was a payload match and she'd come up with barrier and poke us then fall back and shield her teammates that would go up and poke. It was brutal. IDK how many kills she had but it felt like she was fully charged up and always had her alt. She was just destroying us non stop.

she combo'd her ult with another hero's alt a couple of times and more or less team wiped us.

So the coolest thing just happened. I was playing as Mercy and Reinhardt did his charge/pin thing which is like 100% lethal even with full HP. As he was mid charge Zarya barriered me and I survived.

I wish there was a way to watch a replay, absolutely incredible timing and awareness from that player.

Just an outstanding game. But I don't know how many more nights of 5hr sleep I can do.

I was playing Lucio and fighting a Reinhardt 1v1 and winning since he couldn't catch me. I get him very low health and he used his ult on me and immediately charges so I know I'm dead. Lucio even starts screaming. The McCree on our team fires one shot and finishes him before I hit the wall and I survive. It made PotG and everyone was confused. He and I knew what happened and that's all that matters.

Gator86

Yea the AFK timer is way harsh. I can barely send a tweet or message after being killed.

It's perfect. Matches last 5 minutes half the time. Missing a quarter of a match or something with such a small team basically fucks your side over entirely.

Zeliard

Mei's ult? I don't think there's any way to actually destroy it but I believe you can deflect it with Genji if you get it in time, while it's still a projectile.

It's funny that she's my best and most played character, but my win rate on Zarya is nothing special. I pull her out to try and salvage a bad team but sometimes there's just no saving them.

Saving people from Roadhog post-hook is the best. So much energy and they walk off scot-free.

As an aside I definitely ran into a Zeliard while playing, didn't think to ask if it was you though.

My in-game name is Zeliard so it may well have been me. You can add me if you ever want to play together: Zeliard#1251

Timing definitely plays heavily into it. The trickiest thing to Zarya in my opinion is not getting the shields off too early. That's what I did a lot of when first starting with her (though back in the day her shields on teammates lasted 4 secs) and it's what I tend to see other Zaryas doing. You feel compelled to put a shield on a teammate or yourself as a precautionary thing, but they last for so little time they may well be gone when you start getting hit by stuff. It's often a good idea to put a shield on a teammate who is actively being shot at, but being predictive is also good if you know they're about to take some damage.

You also don't want to shield stuff constantly because you don't want them to be on cooldown when a critical moment arrives; at the same time you don't want to use them too sparingly because you want to keep your energy up and, well, preventing damage is rarely bad (the only exception to this would be getting your healer's ult charge up, but that's highly situational and risky).

Boring to say but it's just practice and experience, really. Once you're more familiar with what other heroes can do, you can start to prioritize teammates to shield and do so in timely fashion.

Oh yeah and another thing that really should be the default option: turn on allied health bars for Zarya. Makes it possible to see which teammates are in immediate danger.

Xeteh

Anyone know which direction you come out of the teleporter? The number of time I've come out facing a wall is nuts

When Symmetra places the portal you come out in the side of the portal facing her. When you hit Q with her and it shows the silhouette of the teleporter there are some arrows showing which way people will come out.

Zaventem

I love playing Reinhardt and its awesome when people stand behind you and you crush everything in your path.
I just wish they would find cover when it starts getting really cracked because im dropping it before its destroyed. it takes way longer to recharge after its been totally destroyed rather than dropping it just before.

I also see other Reinhardt players with it up when there not being attacked. Don't do this as it doesn't recharge when active.

I love him too sucks when I get the most eliminations so it proves my team fucking sucks.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Anyone know which direction you come out of the teleporter? The number of time I've come out facing a wall is nuts

You come out opposite to the direction Symmetra was at the time of placement. So she has to face a wall to ensure that anyone exiting the teleporter doesn't exit into said wall.

eek5

They should take away ice block entirely. Buff her some other way to compensate, whatever. But the ice is insane. It's infuriating. She can lose every single 1v1 badly and still get away because she just taps a button to ice herself (and it's got server priority), and then a team fight breaks out and she scampers away.

It's Halo: Reach and Armor Lock all over again. You lost. Just die. Die like any decent human creature would. You dead-eyed, left-mouse-holding, insufferable little ice witch.

Yeah mei is pretty annoying mostly because she is a pest that is hard to kill. It does make it pretty satisfying when you finally get her though. I like to toss a junkrat trap next to the ice block and hope she stumbles into it when she gets out. It's hilarious to see her stuck there while her get out jail free card is on cooldown.

Devs want the stun to stop ults though, they said this. Why do people complain about stun but not junkrat traps either? My friend was cussing out about junkrat all evening last night.

The devs wanting it isn't exactly an argument against a change. The devs wanted McCree to exist as he is, originally, it means nothing and it the wants of the devs should change as the competitive meta unfolds. At the moment, he deals far too much damage both afar and up close, for someone with a high-utility stun.

There's just no reason not to play double McCree, and adding a cooldown (as previously suggested) to fan the hammer isn't going to change that. If they want they stun intact then he needs a significant reduction in damage.

Interfectum

> Play as Soldier 76
> Offense on Numbani
> We lose

1u2L0.gif

This game seems like Dota where certain heroes are more scrutinized than others. Doesn't matter if you did good or not. You probably didn't do something he thought you SHOULD do (or he's trolling you).

In Dota 2 I could play good or bad with Undying. No one gives a fuck either way. I'm left alone. If I miss one hook with Pudge I'm worthless, I need to uninstall and my family should be killed.

This is one the greatest mysteries of our time, sometimes, even when trying I fuck up and team mates come out the portals facing a wall, I mean I see the arrows, but sometimes I am in a rush so my teammates can come right back into the fray soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom