• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyStu

There is a full bot mode. And widow and hanzo are perfectly fine on attack in most situations. There are more and less favorable maps, but the hero themself is not the problem :(

Depends a lot on team composition and player skill, but he is mostly right.

Sometimes you just need bodies on the point and widow/hanzo pretty much collapse when focused.

Now, if they are a really good shot and move quickly and position themselves well, THEN we are talkin'.

I started extracting and converting textures from the game. Made avatars from some of the sprays, help yourself

CQDnnps.png
sQtCJXH.png
V6ehaWV.png
19GIkIs.png
wOGbKmP.png

can i take mercy?

Eh, that's not really being elitist. If it's mean spirited it's elitist, but some advice is good.

Like I tend to start defending numbani maps with a "please don't all run to the spawn point only to all die and everyone is respawning as they take our point"

Doesn't always work though. But I'm not berating them for it.

He started by saying this:

Look guys, I'm fine if you pick Tracer. But just know how to play her.

To me that looks like he is setting requirements to do something. You got to start somewhere and people complaining you're not a good **** and thus should not play **** is mean spirited to me.

Flintty

YAY! Got my first 50 Elimination game. Got 51. My stupid ass team still lost >_>

Awesome! My highest is 31, with Reaper.

I'm trying to get the kill streak achieve at the moment but just can't get it. Gonna forget about it and just see what happens, no point stressing over it.

To me that looks like he is setting requirements to do something. You got to start somewhere and people complaining you're not a good **** and thus should not play **** is mean spirited to me.

Tracer's not easy to use effectively for new and inexperienced players and is tied with out-of-mech D.Va for lowest hp (Zen has mostly shields). Using a new character in actual matches is the best way to learn, but if it's clearly not working and/or you could use a different character more effectively, it's probably a good idea to switch. Yes, the xp difference between a win and a loss is not that high, but it's kind of inconsiderate to the other people you're playing with to stubbornly play badly on purpose.

B.O.O.M

Awesome! My highest is 31, with Reaper.

I'm trying to get the kill streak achieve at the moment but just can't get it. Gonna forget about it and just see what happens, no point stressing over it.

I think my last highest was about 36, can't remember with whom tho. 51 I just got was with Tor. Set the Turret up and run and headshot like a madman. Had three gold including for objective time or something too. Had some interesting fights with a reaper, Reinhardt and Mei lol

yeah don't worry about the kill streak achievements etc. Just have fun. You will get them even without realizing it :)

MartyStu

If you need somewhere to start, then the Player v A.I. battles are the most considerate way to learn new characters.

If you need somewhere to start, then the Player v A.I. battles are the most considerate way to learn new characters.
They're good only for learning the very basics.

The AI knows where you are at all times, and will easily focus upon you when near. Your team AI will all move as one glob and die as one glob, leaving you alone in enemy territory all the time (where you'll then be hunted down by all the remaining enemies who all know exactly where you are). They don't hold the shadow of a whisper of a hint of behaving like real players.

I think people are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that people are going to need room to experiment in live games with other players, and sometimes even when trying their best, they won't necessarily be very good at that hero for some time. Its OK though, as we're not professionals competing in e-sports here.

Tracer's not easy to use effectively for new and inexperienced players and is tied with out-of-mech D.Va for lowest hp (Zen has mostly shields). Using a new character in actual matches is the best way to learn, but if it's clearly not working and/or you could use a different character more effectively, it's probably a good idea to switch. Yes, the xp difference between a win and a loss is not that high, but it's kind of inconsiderate to the other people you're playing with to stubbornly play badly on purpose.

I do agree with the most considerate method of learning a new character being P V AI but what about lesser skilled players? Are they not allowed to play however they want because some teammates consider his skill not high enough?

That kind of negative attitude really hurts a game like this and hope it is being kept to a minimum. I think this games has mass appeal and thus players of all backgrounds will jump in.

Personally im training myself not to care too much if I win or lose. Team comp is so important in this game and since I can not get a group together consistently I am forced to join pubs.

I never, however, get mad at the choice other people make. I simply change my own character to whatever the team needs.

ekim

Any idea why I can't hear anyone speaking on Xbox One? NAT is set to open and I enabled voice chat in the Options menu. I don't have a mic attached but I should be hearing something, no?

I do agree with the most considerate method of learning a new character being P V AI but what about lesser skilled players? Are they not allowed to play however they want because some teammates consider his skill not high enough?

That kind of negative attitude really hurts a game like this and hope it is being kept to a minimum. I think this games has mass appeal and thus players of all backgrounds will jump in.

Personally im training myself not to care too much if I win or lose. Team comp is so important in this game and since I can not get a group together consistently I am forced to join pubs.

I never, however, get mad at the choice other people make. I simply change my own character to whatever the team needs.

So you basically ignored everything I wrote

Nyx

Any idea why I can't hear anyone speaking on Xbox One? NAT is set to open and I enabled voice chat in the Options menu. I don't have a mic attached but I should be hearing something, no?

On consoles most people who speak are in a party chat so you won't hear them.

I really don't find much value in Symetra personally, the teleporter can be a big deal on defense but it's not that worthwhile on the second objective, so even then she's only especially valuable on one side of a select few gametypes.
Symmetra has her niche, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you've got a great Sym on your side with a great team coordinating with her, chances are there won't be a second objective to worry about.

The turrets make short work of naive players but they're not difficult to clear out and they're a pain to rebuild up if cleared. Winston or Roadhog can clear them out with ease, and it's not at all difficult for either of those tanks to kill symetra in the process. Once the enemy team is on the objective, she's not especially useful in clearing them off.

They're not difficult to clear out if you know where they are. And you'll only know where they are if you or someone on your team has already blindly run into (and likey died to) them or if they've been poorly placed by a bad Symmetra. And if you've died to them they've already done their job.

I've a 75% winrate with Symmetra over almost a hundred games. And I've died myself to some really great sentry placements. Tonight I was matched against high 60s and 70s, so I think it's safe to say the players I'm up against have acclimated to the game and that naivety has nothing to do with it. Having a counter doesn't devalue Symmetra. Every hero has (and should have) a counter in the game. Winston also shutdowns snipers but I wouldn't attempt to argue Widowmaker or Hanzo weren't viable because of this.

It's easy to kill bad players with anyone, but it doesn't make much of a statement for the characters viability.

Sure, ok.

Personally I think they should make her drones heal allies. That would be neat, and encourage more flexible placement as you would have to think about whether you wanted them to be placed most viably to either hurt or heal. The heal would need to quite slow though.
Miss Satya is perfectly fine as is.

MartyStu

They're good only for learning the very basics.

The AI knows where you are at all times, and will easily focus upon you when near. Your team AI will all move as one glob and die as one glob, leaving you alone in enemy territory all the time. They don't hold the shadow of a whisper of a hint of behaving like real players.

I think people are just going to have to come to terms with the fact that people are going to need room to experiment in live games with other players, and sometimes even when trying their best, they won't necessarily be very good at that hero for some time. Its OK though, as we're not professionals competing in e-sports here.

Which is fine, but that does not make it any less shitty for everyone else.

level1

Yeah, fuck that noise. Quite frankly I think that getting on another player's case because they're trying to learn a new character properly is much more shitty and inconsiderate than actually trying to learn a new character. What I usually do when trying to learn a character I have no skills with is get matchmade with a new group after every game in order to avoid being a hindrance to the same people for too long (that way they won't be forced to look for a new group themselves and lose the consequent match xp).

24hr

Didn't realise there was a new thread! How do people use Tracer? Do you need a healer around you or just go around causing mayhem?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Uhh... I probably should have explained that I wasn't on voice chat with them. It wasn't like I was calling them dumbasses to them. I was just saying it to the TV.

Unless your telling me neither of you have gotten angry at someone on a game and said something to them, even though you know they can't hear you.

Also If I'm going to be honest, but if you're level 30 ~ 40 and you still don't understand overtime and contesting. You deserve to be called a dumbass. That's over a hundred matches to learn that. (I know that sounds harsh, but really! I can't believe people have played that much and still don't understand some of the most basic of stuff in the game!)

Even if the tutorial doesn't teach it- it's not an obscure mechanic and after that point, people should pick up on it!

Thanks for the clarification, and sorry about the Internet Justice outburst.
Definitely can't argue with the bolded!

It's always difficult to know what "meta" people are influenced by in any competetive multipler situation (especially when you can't chat with them), but yeah, ignoring the objective at that level is pretty suspect.

Which is fine, but that does not make it any less shitty for everyone else.
Which is why I think the best advice is just to relax about it. We all know its going to happen, even with players with the best of intentions. So maybe having a weak player or two on the team isn't worth getting upset about.

Sokka

Didn't realise there was a new thread! How do people use Tracer? Do you need a healer around you or just go around causing mayhem?

Get behind them, harass them.. make them focus on you so they lose the defense positions. And be sure to keep moving and rewind so they don't kill you straight away.

zoukka

You use your superior mobility to come in from flanks, take out healers/snipers and with your ult you can take out anyone/focus clumps of people in objectives. Her pistols do a lot damage even from mid-range.

Have only played three hours since the full game hit. I'm trying to get at least somewhat used to all the characters now rather than sticking to Mercy. Been having fun with DVa, Reaper and Junkrat.

It's super annoying when you're doing well at the objective with Reaper and someone on your team notices and also decides to be Reaper but ignores the objective.

They're not difficult to clear out if you know where they are. And you'll only know where they are if you or someone on your team has already blindly run into (and likey died to) them or if they've been poorly placed by a bad Symmetra. And if you've died to them they've already done their job.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone into a room and someone has placed all her turrets clustered together where you can take them out in seconds, or even worse, when they're visible from a distance and you can just pick them off from afar.

I like to find a room with a high ceiling and place most of them high up where you can't see them until you're actually in the room and it's too late.

Just had a chance to play this on PC for the first time at a friend's house. It's almost a completely different game. The things I was able to do with Genji on m+kb vs controller is amazing. It's going to be hard to go back and boot up the PS4 version. I need a new PC ASAP.

Atlantis

It's even more shitty if you play vs AI a lot and catch bad tactics from that mode. It's better for people to jump straight in to MP games.

As someone who has so far only played a few bot matches to get used to the game controls, I totally agree. There's nothing to learn in there except what your buttons actually do.

The bots are spawn camped within a minute of the game starting.

kami_sama

Have only played three hours since the full game hit. I'm trying to get at least somewhat used to all the characters now rather than sticking to Mercy. Been having fun with DVa, Reaper and Junkrat.

It's super annoying when you're doing well at the objective with Reaper and someone on your team notices and also decides to be Reaper but ignores the objective.

Junkrat is awesome to play as. One suggestion, you can use the sticky bomb, not only for travel or as a trap, but actively in combat, it even helps to get out of combat if you trigger it just after using the ability.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Eh, I find tracer super easy honestly.

psyfi

Banned
I just had some REALLY bad networking issues on XB1. My character would teleport and move erratically, and sometimes would get stuck in place entirely. It was really weird.

As far as nerfs go I think a 3-5 sec cooldown on McCree's fan would be good.

It's just ridicilous how easy it is to pop a flash --> fan the hammer --> roll-reload --> fan the hammer again --> pop a flash again and so on...

The cooldown would make it just right imo.

zoukka

As far as nerfs go I think a 3-5 sec cooldown on McCree's fan would be good.

It's just ridicilous how easy it is to pop a flash --> fan the hammer --> roll-reload --> fan the hammer again --> pop a flash again and so on...

The cooldown would make it just right imo.

I'd rather they address flashbang itself. But we need more time to see the pro level stats before thinking of nerfs.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I see Tracers blinking themselves off cliffs regularly

Hah, I actually still do that, because I do consider myself inexperienced because I don't play her much, but even then i regularly get silver or gold in kills and objective times. Also don't think I've lost a match as her yet, but I haven't played her much.
And I consider myself bad at fps which is what attracted me to overwatch in the first place.

Junkrat is awesome to play as. One suggestion, you can use the sticky bomb, not only for travel or as a trap, but actively in combat, it even helps to get out of combat if you trigger it just after using the ability.

awesome. only played a couple of rounds as him, looking forward to seeing what unique uses I can use the mine in.

When I started out, I stopped focusing on kills with Tracer and just distracted the rear guard like an angry gnat. You can easily go around the opposing team and spray them, then duck or rewind back into cover - it'll mess up a hardened defense because either they chase you or they have to keep checking their backs, which takes snipers out of their groove.

Also zipping in and out like that quickly gives you the bomb ult which is where the fun is.

Eventually, as you get comfortable with the movement and flimsiness, you'll know when to push for kills and when to retreat.

I'd rather they address flashbang itself. But we need more time to see the pro level stats before thinking of nerfs.

It's more like a stun grenade than a flashbang really. They could make it so that it doesn't freeze you, but instead blinds you for a little while CoD style. Only for 2-3 seconds.

So the vast majority of the defensive teams I played against tonight were made up of two Torbjörns and a Bastion. Sometimes two Bastions.

How are people dealing with these turret setups. Individual counters make sense individually, but they don't automatically apply against groups. So, Genji can deflect, but not from multiple angles. Pharah is considered a counter to Torb's turrets, but enough of them arrayed out can make it suicidal to take to the skies.

Any tips on dealing with teams with three or more turrets? Seems unbalanced in that its easy for solo players to choose turrets and play as individuals and get their full benefit, while the attackers need to have a greater sense of team cohesion to overcome them.

Trickster

I've been watching some of the pro games being played in the weekend. And I really don't like the trend of teams doubling up on heroes. Getting seriously boring to see double winstons, mcree's, lucio's etc. Not being able to have more than one of each character per team would encourage more diverse team compositions

I definitely agree that his flashbang needs to be reworked since as of right now it's pretty much a free kill on anyone you stun.

I think a better way for the skill to work would be that instead of stunning enemies it just disables their skills for the duration. This would still allow him to lock enemies down without outright stunning them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom