• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peff

That would make sense too but its not used like that, they just say "my ult is ready" after another wipe, then panic use it and thats it. They dont check if the group is with them so whats the point?

Huh. I guess I've been lucky in that respect. Ultimately, the real answer is:

tt11253105fltt.gif

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I broke down and bought it due to all of the positive buzz. Here's hoping I'm not total trash at the game as the last PvP multiplayer shooter that I played without motion controls was TF2 back in 2012. Any beginner tips aside from what's in the OP?

I typed out a bunch, but checked the beginner guide in the first post and it listed everything I was going to suggest already. Whoops. One other thing is that there can be great synergy with certain ultimates, such as Zarya's ult, which traps people for a few seconds in a small area and Zenyatta's ult, which makes him invulnerable and heals everyone around him. Also, I suggest trying out each class at least once, so you at least gain a basic understanding of how each character works.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The worst case of "lol randoms" I have seen was a game on Hollywood where the entire defense team was all zenyatta and a reaper.

I was playing with one friend and 4 randoms. What do they do? ALL PICK TANKS. We had two roadhogs, a winston, and a d.va. against an entire team of tank melters. They actually swapped to those as if it would help.

like what in the actual fuck.

Well thats kind of a copout right? The alternatives for mid range deeps are literally only those 2 heros (Well, junkrat is there i suppose). Besides, we dont know how universal rulesets will play out so i dont think its fair to say she's a-tier. Thats like saying mercy and lucio are s-tier supports

Not really a copout. If you rank heroes only by if they are the best at their general role then you rank heroes either usable or unusable it's very binary. Tiers don't apply if you look at it like that.

Peff

I hope they can release more than one at once just because that'll cut down on everyone picking one new character just because they're new.

This is sadly going to happen, their dev/QA pipeline is likely not large enough to be able to afford the release of two characters at the same time and waste good PR and two chances of getting people playing again.

What they could and should do is introduce the character exclusively in a weekly brawl and release them afterwards, so that the novelty will be gone and people will get to know them beforehand too.

Catdaddy

I hope Blizzard is looking at potg, never thought I'd say it but it's getting on my fucking nerves.. Mccree shoots 2 people.. potg... Not even for me I've seen shit that made my draw drop and some boring kill gets it..

Xeteh

I hope Blizzard is looking at potg, never thought I'd say it but it's getting on my fucking nerves.. Mccree shoots 2 people.. potg... Not even for me I've seen shit that made my draw drop and some boring kill gets it..

They said somewhere that they want to improve it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I went from a 44.6% to a proud 51.2% in the last few days. It can only go up from here lol

55.1 to 55.2% after tonight's games with EUgaf. We mostly won so that makes sense but dat .1% increase tho lol

Mine went down by 0.5%, how does this even make sense.

Anyway that highlight, from reaper+zarya+tracer ult
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjiw4rte_E

what? we played the same fucking games?

wait you guys were already playing earlier when I joined tho. Clearly I was the difference maker, because clearly im the best and not trash

im trash

55.1 to 55.2% after tonight's games with EUgaf. We mostly won so that makes sense but dat .1% increase tho lol

what? we played the same fucking games?

wait you guys were already playing earlier when I joined tho. Clearly I was the difference maker, because clearly im the best and not trash

im trash

I dont understand at all, went from 56.2% to 55.7%, from level 66-69

Squire

Banned
This is sadly going to happen, their dev/QA pipeline is likely not large enough to be able to afford the release of two characters at the same time and waste good PR and two chances of getting people playing again.

What they could and should do is introduce the character exclusively in a weekly brawl and release them afterwards, so that the novelty will be gone and people will get to know them beforehand too.

Good point.

Nah. They should do one at a time for better marketing. But make it a steady stream of heroes.

Right, there's marketing, but I was arguing for the health of the game, to be clear.

They have to be. POTG is the one feature where they really shit the bed, I think. It's basically been reduced to meme fodder, which is a ton of fun to be honest. It'd still be nice to have genuinely impressive moments highlighted where possible though.

I really feel like I'm getting the hang of Tracer more and more. I took on two Roadhogs and a Bastion all by myself. Kept moving and they couldn't catch me. I'm not that great with Tracer but I have my moments like those. Feels so good.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
my win rate went up .1% ;_;

Mine went from 59% down to 55% after I started being matched against entire teams of level 70+ people and one level 116 person. I was by far the lowest level (20) for several matches in a row, and lost most of them to a team of 2 healers and a great tank. :(

MBison

Newb question:

I've been playing Overwatch with my daughter on the same ps4 we just trade off. Thinking about getting her her own ps4 and copy so we can play together. It would be on same network. She'd have her own psn account. Any issues with that? Kind of a newb question I know just have never games like that.

Thanks!

Zemm

Junkrat is definitely strong, but the only thing I think that is "stupid" about him is the martyrdom grenades. Everyone hated them in the Modern Warfare games, why introduce them here?

I play a lot of Junkrat as he's my favourite character but the splash radius and damage is so weak that I think I get around 1 kill every 3 matches from that ability. They were so much worse and annoying in CoD.

Plum

I really feel like I'm getting the hang of Tracer more and more. I took on two Roadhogs and a Bastion all by myself. Kept moving and they couldn't catch me. I'm not that great with Tracer but I have my moments like those. Feels so good.

Yep, when you're in the flow playing Tracer can be so incredibly fun. Killing an enemy tank that could easily kill you is such a great feeling.

Unfortunately I have these moments than I realize that I'm not actually that good at the character. Sometimes I wonder whether my contribution actually meant anything.

Kinsei

Banned
I typed out a bunch, but checked the beginner guide in the first post and it listed everything I was going to suggest already. Whoops. One other thing is that there can be great synergy with certain ultimates, such as Zarya's ult, which traps people for a few seconds in a small area and Zenyatta's ult, which makes him invulnerable and heals everyone around him. Also, I suggest trying out each class at least once, so you at least gain a basic understanding of how each character works.

Thanks! Yeah,I will do one or two matches against the AI with each character just to get a basic feel of what they can do and how they control.

Dr. Buni

How many hours have you guys clocked already? I'm at 38 hours iirc, shit's addicting yo
45 I think. Lv. 61 so far. Game is lovely, tho I am getting tired of the increasingly toxicity already.

Also, completely unrelated, but just got a POTG with Torbjorn on Dorado (attack) with the 4 Molten Core kills achievement being unlocked. I love that midget.

Squire

Banned
Newb question:

I've been playing Overwatch with my daughter on the same ps4 we just trade off. Thinking about getting her her own ps4 and copy so we can play together. It would be on same network. She'd have her own psn account. Any issues with that? Kind of a newb question I know just have never games like that.

Thanks!

That's fine! You would just send her an invite and the two of you would queue with four randoms, in Quick Play anyway.

Ladekabel

I think I found my heroes with Lucio, Roadhog and McCree. I don't know what that makes me. I enjoy Pharah, Mercy, Zenyatta and Pharah, too.

When I bought the game I was dead set on Genji but after a few games I found out that I suck with him.

Owensboro

Is there a PS4 chat I can join to get groups with people? I'm not looking for a pro team or anything, just a group of people to play with!

Tieske

Neo Member
Not really a copout. If you rank heroes only by if they are the best at their general role then you rank heroes either usable or unusable it's very binary. Tiers don't apply if you look at it like that.

But it is, as stacking means Pharah loses her slot. Without the stack limitation, she's a specialized b tier pick. Limit scope to purely dps characters (mid ranged) and she's still overtaken by mccree and sorta tied with soldier. Wouldnt call that A-tier, not overall and not in her niche

Besides, a tier list based on limited stack rulesets means theyre even less applicable for us pubbies which is the main thing im interested in when i see data like this

How come? I think it proves quite a bit. She's definitely a great hero.
I think the biggest problem is that people are not used to play non hit scan heros (and yeah, she's not amazing at every map, but is that really necessary?)
It proves that a good player can make an average or terrible character look good.
It was more telling he didn't use her once in the next two rounds.
But she's so great mang.

Maffis

What I would do to McCree. Remove fan the hammer. make it so flashbangs allow you to move but not shoot unless they throw it at your head.

Make the flashbang daze people so they can move around but not attack, and make Fan the Hammer a skill with a 10 second cooldown. Make his roll not reload his weapon but maybe shorten the cooldown a bit.

So far I've gotten two legendary skins - and both of them for Hanzo who I rarely use. At least the Okami skin looks badass for whenever I attempt to use him.

Played my first game as Zarya and completely carried the payload by myself. I was the only one on it the whole match and we somehow won. Either my team wiped the other team clean ahead of me or the other team was just straight trash. Either way I got almost 3:30 objective time without dying and it was rad.

It's amazing how few people actually try and push the payload a lot of the time. I'm almost always the one on the payload trying to move it when I'm on offense, and then when I'm on defense I'm the only one on it trying to move it back. I always end up on the team that has no idea what they're doing.

But it is, as stacking means Pharah loses her slot. Without the stack limitation, she's a specialized b tier pick. Limit scope to purely dps characters (mid ranged) and she's still overtaken by mccree and sorta tied with soldier. Wouldnt call that A-tier, not overall and not in her niche

Besides, a tier list based on limited stack rulesets means theyre even less applicable for us pubbies which is the main thing im interested in when i see data like this

If it's a pub game you can easily win games with 3 Pharah as long as the other team do not counter properly which is not as true for comp games.

Xeteh

How come? I think it proves quite a bit. She's definitely a great hero.
I think the biggest problem is that people are not used to play non hit scan heros (and yeah, she's not amazing at every map, but is that really necessary?)

You mean all those people that didn't play TF2, Quake, Doom, Unreal Tournament? It has nothing to do with her rockets and everything that she's countered hard my people who can pick her out of the air of which there are many.

But she's so great mang.

She's seemingly used only on certain checkpoints on certain maps in these comp games. Meanwhile both teams have a McCree for the entire map, and it sounds like this tournament is enforcing a no dupe hero rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom