• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Ugh... had a great POTG with D.Va and I closed out the damn game before uploading it.

Launched the Mech/Self Destruct over the building that is in front of the limo. Landed and took out 4 guys, and a bunch of Torjborn/Semtrya turrets.

Kiro

I'm starting to think zarya is one of the best counters to Toblerone. She gets free 100 power and one shots level 2 turrets.

Sidenote: I got my first 12 votes mvp card today. Woo woo probably never again.

Milijango

I hate that, but I feel like some people don't understand the significance of gold medals. I've routinely seen 4-5 gold medal cards get passed over in favor of damage blocked or some other nonsense in the post-game vote

I've gotten cards + votes for picking up health packs as Tracer. C'mon guys there's a Reinhardt who blocked 15000 damage vote for him.

Also out of ~120 games I've only been able to take a sniper role once. Either there's no support or there's already a Hanzo + Widowmaker. I checked my stats and more than half my playtime is support. I'm sitting on >70% wins for Zenyatta, and I got his Ifrit skin at lv10 so maybe I'm just crying over spilt milk.

Blues1990

I find it a little bit disappointing that your friend has never considered that maybe the people healing him would like to play Hanzo from time to time as well. The players who are team players always work with what they're given and when someone plays a single character repeatedly it actually makes them a bit frustrating to play with. It comes of as selfish.

Its a team game thats the problem. You are factually playing the game wrong. There is no debate. This is fine for you the player, but not fine for the team. You say your friend wont change and will just adapt (lol there's no adapting to hard counters, thats why they are hard counters) or change server, which means he solo queues and doesnt care about the team (and by team lets assume there is a group of friends/gaffers that plays together) and again thats fine for him personally, but I wouldnt want him in my group know what I mean.

Lately we play on a EUgaf group. Nobody tells you who to play. But during a game there might be requests to change to something else because the current strategy isnt working. We needed double Winstons for example so I went Winston. These people that you say are no problem would do what when asked? Say "no I only play one character" apparently right? You dont see how thats a problem?

To be fair, a lot of his experience with FPS's come from playing Counter Strike, Crysis, & the occasional match of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, less so with the games that Overwatch takes inspiration from. (He also loves video games that have characters who specialize in using the bow, so there's also that.) At first he didn't want to play Overwatch, as it looked stupid to him. But he was willing to give it a shot, so I recommended him try Soldier 76, and he liked the character enough so he later went to try out the other heroes.

He looked up strategies for how to use them most effectively, but even when he was winning games and helping his team, he wasn't having fun. Either he hated the look of the "butch, lesbian strong woman", or he hated the cute bloops & bleeps that were coming out of Bastion, or some other small thing that normally wouldn't be a bother for most folks. Playing a character like Hanzo to him is like a challenge, and he has been having fun playing him, though he will grudgingly be forced to play as Soldier 76 if the squad was lacking in a member to round them out.

But he's having fun. And since he has won 90% of the matches with exclusively playing as Hanzo, & Soldier 76 once in a million years, and no one on the team is angry with him & will otherwise praise him for the good work he's doing, then it's all gravy. I never once force him to play someone else, unless if we are practicing in a safe environment so he can try the character out.

Just give them an opening or hole to walk out off, people think that their smart until they get an icicle to the face.

Seriously?! Are people really THAT dumb to fall for such an old trick?

catspit

Ok.... The AFK timer is way too tight... Like.. I seriously can't answer my child's quick question and then turn to contiune playing... Oop. Nope. Kicked for inactivity.. Even though I was #1-2 on my entire team for "activity"

They need to patch this... Or am I crazy? (They need a afk kick, I understand.. But this?)

I think any slanted roofs are roofs you can't stand on.

Any slanted roof will kick you off. Flat ones are fine.

Except the gazebo in Hanamura near the second point kind of breaks this rule. It's a small exception, but by this point I'd been trained to avoid slanted roofs, so I was surprised by it.

I think that's JR's role and it's why they label him as Defense. He can shut down routes by laying down constant suppressing fire. And JR is definitely not a master at close range

I know, that's why I said he's an improvement over Demo. (Although I've learned throwing a mine at their face and exploding it mid-air is pretty good, surprised that doesn't have more of an activation timer.) I don't buy that he's supposed to just poop tubes quite like I'm describing, though.

TDLink

Ok.... The AFK timer is way too tight... Like.. I seriously can't answer my child's quick question and then turn to contiune playing... Oop. Nope. Kicked for inactivity.. Even though I was #1-2 on my entire team for "activity"

They need to patch this... Or am I crazy? (They need a afk kick, I understand.. But this?)

I agree. I understand matches aren't long and they need to kick AFK people, but it feels like it's 20 seconds or less. Absolutely ridiculous. Especially at character select.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
If you are the last to pick your character and there is a support or tank gap, you are ethically required to fill it. Early bird gets the worm.

He looked up strategies for how to use them most effectively, but even when he was winning games and helping his team, he wasn't having fun. Either he hated the look of the "butch, lesbian strong woman

Your friend...not very smart.

That "butch, lesbian strong woman" is one of the best characters in the game and certainly the most underrated tank. Zarya's my fav character.

Edit: I feel too strongly about that butch lesbian statement. Correction: your friend is a dumbass.

strategy number b

VJpqG6P.png

Blizzard

Banned
D.Va's Ult is Boost > Ult, not Ult > Boost, right?

First time using it and tried Ult 1st then had to run for my life.
If you want it to fly forwards, you need to Boost -> Ult.

Otherwise you need to run around a wall to hide. You can drop it on one side of the payload and hide on the other, as long as there's something blocking sight.

strategy number b
This is the future with nerfed flashbang. ;_;

LiK

Someone in my party just yelled out "Holy shit, it's 1:30AM already?"

Someone replied: "Yea buddy, welcome to Overwatch."

😆

Sorral

I wonder if they will give us a preference to which maps to play. I definitely enjoy KOTH maps way more than payloads right now especially when I get to play Genji. Oh man, he is just so much fun once he clicks.

Kiro

Question to everyone:

Who's your worst character? Not least favourite, but actually worst.

Mine would be Hanzo or Widowmaker. Not my style really and the bow I find really hard to time hits on moving targets.

I've never played Dva or zenyatta yet but I plan to soon.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Question to everyone:

Mine would be Hanzo or Widowmaker. Not my style really and the bow I find really hard to time hits on moving targets.

Widowmaker easily, followed by Roadhog.

Moonlight

Banned
Question to everyone:

Widowmaker is by far my worst character. I don't fuck with that because I don't want to inflict that on any of my teammates. I'm pretty awful as Genji too.

Question to everyone:

Mercy. Something about her I just can't do. I'm bad at healing everyone and knowing when to res. I'm better with Zenyatta and Lucio for support.

I have a hard time clicking with Hanzo too. I'd rather just pick Widow for long range who I'm a million times better with. If I want to do midrange I'd rather pick 76 than him.

Question to everyone:

Widowmaker and Tracer probably.

Question to everyone:

Hanzo, Widowmaker, Roadhog -which irks me because I really dig his character design, reminds me of Rufus from SFIV- Symmetra, Reaper.

Those 5 characters I really stink with

Mercy. Something about her I just can't do. I'm bad at healing everyone and knowing when to res. I'm better with Zenyatta and Lucio for support.

I have a hard time clicking with Hanzo too. I'd rather just pick Widow for long range who I'm a million times better with. If I want to do midrange I'd rather pick 76 than him.
FWIW, her ult charges fast. If there's a good opportunity to rez say, two or more people in a safe way, I'd do it.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm garbage as Reaper, I don't think I've even used his alt more then once. It seems like people always manage to run away from me and shoot me while I chase them, and he barely does damage from afar.

It's getting to a point where steamrolling the enemy team on payload maps is almost a guaranteed loss. Can't tell how many times in this situation, with 6 minutes to spare, where it wasn't until the last goddamn minute my team decides "Oh, maybe this character isn't going to work for this last push."

Damn my salt levels. I know it's about having fun and some of the best matches I played resulted in losses, but losing to easily counterable shit at the last stretch? Man.

Wanderer5

Question to everyone:

Either Genij, Tracer, Zarya, Zenyatta, or all 4 lol.

ElyrionX

30 seconds is not a quick question. Games are short and every second counts. You deserve the boot.

Ok I give up for the night. 28 kills with Zenyatta with 3k in healing and my team manages to fail in overtime by mis-using their ults in spectacular fashion.

Nyx

Question to everyone:

Genji for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom