• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

Its a team game specifically made with character switching and counter play in mind and you only play one character so youre playing for yourself, not the team. Even if you only played Mercy, something you arguably always want in your team, but sometimes you want a Lucio (or vice versa)

I get that, but it's sometimes best to be competent with a couple of heroes, rather than being mediocre with half a dozen or more. But everyone plays differently and goes to the beat of their own brainwaves, so what do I know.

Cynar

Its a team game specifically made with character switching and counter play in mind and you only play one character so youre playing for yourself, not the team. Even if you only played Mercy, something you arguably always want in your team, but sometimes you want a Lucio (or vice versa)
Exactly this. A good player is one who can play all characters when needed.

I get that, but it's sometimes best to be competent with a couple of heroes, rather than being mediocre with half a dozen or more. But everyone plays differently and goes to the beat of their own brainwaves, so what do I know.
Fine.

Be competent with a couple of heroes. One in each category would be great, so you can fill the needs of your team at any time.

But to play only one hero? Seems a bit much. And a bit selfish.

Apathy

lol the game really does not like giving me skins. this is like the second or third time i get excited to see legendary only for it to be the gold.

Now to decide what to buy.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Ok so be competent with a couple then not one. Your friend that only plays Hanzo. What happens when he has a really good Tracer on his ass the whole game killing him and he becomes useless?

Blues1990

Ok so be competent with a couple then not one. Your friend that only plays Hanzo. What happens when he has a really good Tracer on his ass the whole game killing him and he becomes useless?

Then you can either adapt (which he usually does, and doesn't have problems with facing against players who play as Tracer) or leaves to take a break and joins a new server? I honestly don't see what the problem is if there are people who want to specialize with only a single hero or two, or want to exclusively play as a hero that works to their gameplay sensibilities.

strategy

nFLZr28.jpg

How quickly Junkrats are turning into Demomen. Blindly firing tubes across large distances, getting kills on targets they don't even know are there.

For the most part, I think JR is an improvement on Demo (especially what Demos have become in TF2, basically masters of almost any range and situation), but it'd be nice if they could curb that a bit.

Also, it feels silly playing sniper classes when a Bastion can accurately chew through you from just as far away in a half-second or less.

Then you can either adapt (which he usually does, and doesn't have problems with facing against players who play as Tracer) or leaves to take a break and joins a new server? I honestly don't see what the problem is if there are people who want to specialize with only a single hero or two, or want to exclusively play as a hero that works to their gameplay sensibilities.

Because you're not playing Street Fighter. There are 5 other people playing on your team that need your help.

I find it a little bit disappointing that your friend has never considered that maybe the people healing him would like to play Hanzo from time to time as well. The players who are team players always work with what they're given and when someone plays a single character repeatedly it actually makes them a bit frustrating to play with. It comes of as selfish.

RowdyReverb

There's nothing worse than having a poor Symmetra player on your team. You really have to work hard to make her a valuable member of the team, and some people are just totally clueless with her

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Its a team game thats the problem. You are factually playing the game wrong. There is no debate. This is fine for you the player, but not fine for the team. You say your friend wont change and will just adapt (lol there's no adapting to hard counters, thats why they are hard counters) or change server, which means he solo queues and doesnt care about the team (and by team lets assume there is a group of friends/gaffers that plays together) and again thats fine for him personally, but I wouldnt want him in my group know what I mean.

Lately we play on a EUgaf group. Nobody tells you who to play. But during a game there might be requests to change to something else because the current strategy isnt working. We needed double Winstons for example so I went Winston. These people that you say are no problem would do what when asked? Say "no I only play one character" apparently right? You dont see how thats a problem?

Jintor

Really fucking enjoying Hanzo. It's like a huntsman sniper from TF2 with 3x the utility and wall climbing.

Really NOT enjoying how many fucking roofs you can climb to/boost to and just fall the fuck off. YO INDICATE THAT VISUALLY BETTER THANKS.

Kiro

Success!! Managed to get both the achievements of destroy 3 teleporter and 3 Wall ride kills as Lucio today.

Only tough ones left are Genji double reflect and zenyatta discord orb.

Any tips for those? Or knock 2 enemies off with Roadhog?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Really fucking enjoying Hanzo. It's like a huntsman sniper from TF2 with 3x the utility and wall climbing.

Really NOT enjoying how many fucking roofs you can climb to/boost to and just fall the fuck off. YO INDICATE THAT VISUALLY BETTER THANKS.

I think any slanted roofs are roofs you can't stand on.

Xeteh

Any slanted roof will kick you off. Flat ones are fine.

RowdyReverb

How quickly Junkrats are turning into Demomen. Blindly firing tubes across large distances, getting kills on targets they don't even know are there.

For the most part, I think JR is an improvement on Demo (especially what Demos have become in TF2, basically masters of almost any range and situation), but it'd be nice if they could curb that a bit.

Also, it feels silly playing sniper classes when a Bastion can accurately chew through you from just as far away in a half-second or less.
I think that's JR's role and it's why they label him as Defense. He can shut down routes by laying down constant suppressing fire. And JR is definitely not a master at close range

Success!! Managed to get both the achievements of destroy 3 teleporter and 3 Wall ride kills as Lucio today.

Only tough ones left are Genji double reflect and zenyatta discord orb.

Any tips for those? Or knock 2 enemies off with Roadhog?

Roadhog anywhere on lijang tower with his ult! Especially where they always funnel next to a bridge

90% of my time has been spent with Mercy. The rest is a mix of D.Va and Widowmaker. Being in the mix of a close game trying to heal DPS dealers is fun as hell.
A good Mercy is almost universally useful and wanted. And at least with pubs (and even groups sometimes), people don't seem to want to play support, so you're nicely filling in for something that many don't want to do.

That isn't always true for other heroes.

Apathy

bad junks have been doing that from the start. good junks are aggressive and can cause a lot of trouble and can aim

I find it a little bit disappointing that your friend has never considered that maybe the people healing him would like to play Hanzo from time to time as well. The players who are team players always work with what they're given and when someone plays a single character repeatedly it actually makes them a bit frustrating to play with. It comes of as selfish.
This is a nice point as well.

I don't love playing support even though I'm fairly decent at it, but when I'm playing with friends, I'll always be willing to step up for a round or two to let someone else have fun doing something else. It's pretty selfish to always monopolize a character.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also had a game where people are trying to cheese with 3 torbjorns in that little room in point a of volskaya and a rein to protect them. Can't really protect it from d.va and justice rains though.

Justice was raining all match. Really liking pharrah now that I got a hang of her.

Roadhog is so much fun too omg.

RowdyReverb

Had my first 5 gold match and the card at the end highlighted my hook percentage with Roadhog. Goddamnit.
I hate that, but I feel like some people don't understand the significance of gold medals. I've routinely seen 4-5 gold medal cards get passed over in favor of damage blocked or some other nonsense in the post-game vote

Rhaknar

And yes I didnt even get to the point where yeah, maybe sometimes people also want to play that hero, and maybe (probably) you dont need two of those. Thats fine and dandy if you only play with pugs and dont give a fuck (which is another problem onto itself as you are basically admiting your friend is one of thise Hanzos that never switches even if the team doesn't need a sniper, or if theres 2 and the other doesnt switch now theres 2 snipers that dont switch joy) but not if you are going to play with people you theoretically care about.

I mean, seriously this isnt even up for debate lol, dunno why im wasting time with this. This isnt opinion, this is fact.

THREE GENJIS

WHY

WHY MOTHERFUCKERS WHY

Because they only play one character and that's apparently no problem.

For me it's just plain selfish and also narrow minded. Now I know that anyone can play however they want, and do whatever they want. I know this, I understand this but that doesn't mean I can't have my say or pov.

When I saw that D.Va pic and saw only 64 hours on that one character, I immediately thought to myself "wow, this person is everything wrong with Overwatch and exemplifies and symbolizes the dumb randoms I play with when I don't play with my friends."

Overwatch is an objective based game, and its gameplay hook is the ability to change heroes/characters on the fly to counter/stump/overcome a bottleneck/obstacle that's in your way to help our your team. When I play Overwatch I don't care about kills or my k/d -admittedly as Genji I'm tryna pester the opposition and get madd kills- my objective is to win the match. For example on payload maps, the single most important stat to me is how much time I spent on that objective.

Now, I'm not saying this exclusive D.Va player cannot accomplish these goals, but playing ONLY as D.Va can pose a problem for the team when a situation calls for something other than a D.Va.

For example, just last night we were on Route 66 and we needed to deliver that payload but our team kept dying because we had no healer whatsoever. Did I wanna play as Mercy? Nope. But we needed a healer, and I made a call and switched to Mercy to help my team win and give them a better shot at that W. Did we win? Nope. But I did what I thought was right to give our team the best shot at the win. Playing only as D.Va is not being a team player. It is selfish.

Moreover, this person is choosing to not play other fun and really well designed heroes that Blizzard devs have spent countless years working on. If I'm a game dev and my team and I have spent years designing a game so that it can be experienced in a multitude of ways and someone refuses to do so, I'd rip my hair out.

s99NzpC.jpg

The gif above sums up my reaction perfectly when I saw that 64 your only D.Va stat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom