• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbpm1

How about the Reinhardt players who run out alone and use their shield. Like, what function are you serving right now exactly? No, I won't heal you because you're not helping.

Look dude, I'm drawing their fire and getting killed miles from the objective.

That's a big help!

jk

Zaventem

heroes.png

Look at me the fill in guy. I play torb on def 90% of the time lol

To get more players on support/healing they should make another edgelord like Reaper and toss it on healing. Maybe like an Arthas style healer that AOE heals with the might of his rage.

Think the problem is, lucio and mercy are really the only viable supprots, which gets a bit boring. Zenyattaa needs something so he can survive and Symmetra, well let's just say Soldier 76 can be a better support than her.

abundant

Al this talk about bad Reinhardt players makes me wonder how could they be so bad. With 15 hours of Reinhardt under my belt, I think it's safe for me to say that he's one of the easiest heroes to play as. Just hold up your damn shield and advance while your teammates shoot from behind your shield.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
How about the Reinhardt players who run out alone and use their shield. Like, what function are you serving right now exactly? No, I won't heal you because you're not helping.

Honestly, when pugging, it's hard to get people to follow behind you sometimes. The desire to lone wolf is real for many folks. It's either move up alone or stand there and wait until the match is over.

In other news, my only balance complaint so far is the auto aim death box that is the turret. It targets and retargets too fast.

On PS4, can someone explain to me the difference between Team Voice Chat, Group Voice Chat, and what's the difference is between On and Auto-Join?

Had some great rounds before work this morning. 4-0. I have really come to love Hanzo on certain maps. He is great for starting on both attack and defense on Route 66. I had a really good round of starting as him on defense at Hollywood and finishing as Pharah. I didn't realize how often I was picking him until I checked my stats and saw he is above Junkrat for time played (Zen still my highest). I totally get why people hate Hanzo, but he can be really effective. Setting individual controller sensitivity per character has been life changing as well.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Assuming your sensitivity settings for your OS are at default (multiplier of 1), then can roughly estimate your cumulative sensitivity with DPI (mouse setting) and in-game sensitivity (a multiplier).

Seagull, for example, uses 1600 DPI and 4 sensitivity. Pros tend to express the cumulative sensitivity as inch/360 (the amount of distance you need to move your mouse to turn 360 degrees in game) but I find this too arbitrary to work with, even if it's more accurate. I just use DPI * sensitivity, so he's using 6400 "total sensitivity". This is a decent starting point. It's probably too slow for a lot of people (you need a big mouse pad and large sweeping movements) so I recommend going for 7000-8000. Anymore than that and you'll have trouble tracking people across the screen.

Naturally, some characters are more suited to a higher sens (Tracer, Pharah) while others are better at lower sens (Widowmaker, Hanzo).

Al this talk about bad Reinhardt players makes me wonder how could they be so bad. With 15 hours of Reinhardt under my belt, I think it's safe for me to say that he's one of the easiest heroes to play as. Just hold up your damn shield and advance while your teammates shoot from behind your shield.

i think that's the problem. they don't leave it up even trying to take out a simple torb turret. it's far from being destroyed.

Iz6hz8d.png

I suck with healers but you know how it is, someones gotta do it when everyone else insta picks a damage dealer.

I also have >3 K/D with Soldier, Reaper and Roadhoag but I don't play them too often.

The KD seems really arbitrary as if the matchmaking is doing its job you should be against opponents of equal skill, therefore it should stabilise (draw you closer to 1:0) over time. Then, certain classes will have higher KDAs due to their role, attackers are generally killers, supports are not.

Without explicitly displaying your skill based rank (which it doesn't, obviously) all of the stats are pretty meaningless because they're all relative to the players skill level, which is an unknown variable. Obviously I'm not directing this at you specifically, but speaking generally, but your post reminded me since you have high stats, but not all that much game time.

The videos from Seagul seemed super dominant until I noticed in a lot of them he is under rank 20, so the hidden mmr / skill based ranking system most likely hasn't stabilished his rank as one of the better players. As in, he's just stomping bad players because the game doesn't have enough data from him or his team to match make them appropriately. It reminds me of my early experiences, one of the first game I played I earned a 20 killstreak, then that type of thing quickly became less frequent as I pushed my playtime beyond the 30 or so hour mark.

This is something that bugs me about the game generally. There's no statistic to say how well your doing in a meaningful way right now. Makes it pretty clear why there are so many bad players in the game that aren't playing the objective very well, as even if they incurr large number of loses, instead of forcing them to lose until adapt, the game moves them to worse opponents where they can win again.

ElyrionX

It takes a few seconds to recharge after breaking. If the shield is protecting anything, those things will either be dead or the formation will have to scatter. Either result is a good thing.

The worst pub players are those dancing around in front of a shield and not emptying their clips at it. When I play McCree, the moment I see a shield, I am fanning at it non-stop until it breaks.

nOoblet16

Assuming your sensitivity settings for your OS are at default (multiplier of 1), then can roughly estimate your cumulative sensitivity with DPI (mouse setting) and in-game sensitivity (a multiplier).

Seagull, for example, uses 1600 DPI and 4 sensitivity. Pros tend to express the cumulative sensitivity as inch/360 (the amount of distance you need to move your mouse to turn 360 degrees in game) but I find this too arbitrary to work with, even if it's more accurate. I just use DPI * sensitivity, so he's using 6400 "total sensitivity". This is a decent starting point. It's probably too slow for a lot of people (you need a big mouse pad and large sweeping movements) so I recommend going for 7000-8000. Anymore than that and you'll have trouble tracking people across the screen.

Naturally, some characters are more suited to a higher sens (Tracer, Pharah) while others are better at lower sens (Widowmaker, Hanzo).
What do you mean multiplier of 1? What's the default sensitivity in windows? I see about a range of 1-10 I think in windows sensitivity.

Also probably should have mentioned that it also depends on whether you are an arm player or a wrist player. Seagull's sensitivity seems low but he is probably an arm player rather than a wrist player, wrist players require higher sensitivity because they don't move the mouse as much and use smaller mouse mats.

Raven117

They aim for a 50% w/l ratio so...if you're on a winning streak, expect to start losing

Gotta keep that precious 50ish% win rate.

With groups it's more like they pair your group up with an equally/less skillful group, then after amassing a win streak of like 5 games, they rebalance and pair your group up with what seems to be an MLG pro team.

Yeah, I know they do, but wow...is it noticeable. You can be on teams that are so flippin bad you don't make it to the first objective...then you get paired with a team that is a fully functioning great team.

I've only had a few matches where I thought there was a legit battle of two solid teams going on. (That's when the game really does start to sing).

ev0

AGH

I had a 5 kill Deadeye ready to go with McCree and all of a sudden a Mei on my team throws a wall right up in front of me. We were attacking team too.

Random vent sorry.

abundant

The worst pub players are those dancing around in front of a shield and not emptying their clips at it. When I play McCree, the moment I see a shield, I am fanning at it non-stop until it breaks.

Same here whenever I play Junkrat. Just keep spamming grenades and using my landmine to pop Reinhardt in the air.

Haly

What do you mean multiplier of 1? What's the default sensitivity in windows?
I think... 6? On their ticky mark slider.
winsenspaintsm.png

Basically the OS sensitivity option is apparently not that good so people just leave it at default so it "doesn't do anything", aka, a multiplier of 1. Maybe that was misrepresenting it but I didn't feel like going into technicalities.
Also probably should have mentioned that it also depends on whether you are an arm player or a wrist player. Seagull's sensitivity seems low but he is probably an arm player rather than a wrist player, wrist players require higher sensitivity because they don't move the mouse as much and use smaller mouse mats.
Yeah probably. I used to be a wrist player but for FPS, arm playing is the way to go and I had to adjust to that.

usctrojan

Dang I didn't realize that pros were using sensitivities that low. I do have a hard time tracking sometimes and will need to adjust mine gradually to a sweet spot. Is the only way to turn down dpi on a mouse without a dedicated selector switch by installing the software for it?

Rad-

My top 10 heroes. I can't believe Winston is my most played hero! I guess it's because so many times nobody picks a tank and then I have to be one and I prefer to play him instead of Reinhardt even though in many maps/teams Reinhardt would probably work better.

I should play Pharah more, I don't like that win rate mrgrgr.

abundant

Yeah, I know they do, but wow...is it noticeable. You can be on teams that are so flippin bad you don't make it to the first objective...then you get paired with a team that is a fully functioning great team.

I've only had a few matches where I thought there was a legit battle of two solid teams going on. (That's when the game really does start to sing).

You need to play with a group then. Most of the time, it feels like the game matches you up pretty good, but those times when it matches you up with MLG pro teams can really be demoralizing.

Some of the shield mechanics in this game are not very intuitive.

Learning that you can shoot through friendly shields but not enemy shields is odd. Especially when you factor in that beam weapons CAN penetrate shields, while kinetic weapons can't.

Then you have to ask yourself what counts as a beam weapon.

Winston, Symmetra, Zarya...

Lucio seems like he should, but he doesn't.

nOoblet16

Dang I didn't realize that pros were using sensitivities that low. I do have a hard time tracking sometimes and will need to adjust mine gradually to a sweet spot. Is the only way to turn down dpi on a mouse without a dedicated selector switch by installing the software for it?
It's not really low for an arm player, it seems low if you compare it to wrist players though.

Pros in every game would go for the sensitivity that allows them to fine aim, keeping low sensitivity means they can fine aim but because they are arm player they can also turn quickly. On consoles you don't have such option and are limited to one thing since you can't do both, which is why most pros play with just low sensitivity as it's better to be able to aim more accurately than turn fast if you only have one to choose from.

You need to play with a group then. Most of the time, it feels like the game matches you up pretty good, but those times when it matches you up with MLG pro teams can really be demoralizing.

We matched with a group of people that were level 130 the other day. That might be common on PC (I don't know) but I had never seen anyone beyond level 80 up to that point on console.

We lost, but it was intense, and we won a round. It was the most fun I had had in the game.

The problem is just that, a lot of them just don't hold up the shield. Or they just do the pin and fly into the middle of the enemy team and die.

Haly

CS:GO pros are even lower. Something ugodly like 1000DPI * 2 sensitivity.

The demands of movement in Overwatch means even pros have to use a relatively higher sensitivity.

Voror

In-game is a good start but the mouse settings do play a role as well. If you have a gaming mouse it most likely has driver software where you can adjust the settings.

If you want to see what pro OW players use for in-game sensitivity and mouse settings check this out:

http://on-winning.com/overwatch-pro-sensitivity-settings-setups-monitor-mouse-keyboard-headset/

Your mouse sensitivity depends on your

-DPI
-Sensitivity under mouse settings in windows control panel
-Ingame se sensitivity

You have to play around all three to find the best fit. I keep my DPI at max my mouse allows i.e. 6500, windows sensitivity to 70% and ingame sensitivity between 11-16 depending characters (you can set individual sensitivity for each). So for Genji I have 16 but for McCree I keep it at 11 because I require a bit finer aiming for his gun.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to fiddle around with them later today and see if I can come up with settings that work better than the default I've been using.

Didn't know about that Master Overwatch thingy till now. Quite handy at showing me the whole 50% business. (Especially since I always leave the room at the end just to shake up opponents)

Bladelaw

So I picked this up on PC a couple nights ago and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm still trying to find my preferred heroes for each role but I've settled into support pretty consistently. I'd like to get better with Hanzo or Genji but their playstyles don't mesh with my current skills.

Basically if we have a Reinhardt I'll play Mercy, otherwise I'm running as Lucio. Being able to reach the point ASAP and establish a defensive perimeter is huge.

patchday

yeah I never thought of any as bad. As Mercy I just need to hide inside of reinhardt and heal

(Well there's much more to Mercy than that but sometimes I do this lol)

pigeon

Banned
Some of the shield mechanics in this game are not very intuitive.

Learning that you can shoot through friendly shields but not enemy shields is odd. Especially when you factor in that beam weapons CAN penetrate shields, while kinetic weapons can't.

Then you have to ask yourself what counts as a beam weapon.

Winston, Symmetra, Zarya...

Lucio seems like he should, but he doesn't.

Actually, none of those attacks go through Reinhardt's shield.

Beam weapons can't be deflected by Genji or blasted by D.Va's defense matrix, but Reinhardt's shield does not care about that stuff.

Only Symmetra's alt-fire goes through Reinhardt and Winston's shields.

Dr. Buni

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Reila-1886
Symmetra should be #1 but I am still not confident enough to pick her in certain maps I want to pick her in the future. D.Va has no business on my Top 10 and I have no idea why Winston isn't there, I could swear I had at least three hours on him. Same goes to Zarya.

Beam weapons can't be deflected by Genji or blasted by D.Va's defense matrix, but Reinhardt's shield does not care about that stuff.

I think Winston's tesla cannon goes through Reinhardt's shield.

Winston's gun does go through Rein/Winston shields

Zaventem

If anything, buff the damage boost. I feel like it's better for me to teamshoot behind reinhardt's shield than it is to boost one of the players most of the time.

It's 30% was 50% but nerfed because widow, so yeah. They also dropped res range down to 15 from 40( which was damn op because that's the firing range of torbs turrets) but it's a bit to low now imo. I hate having to suicide resurrect after hiding.

Dr. Buni

Passive Reinhardts are the worst. I cringe when a Reinhardt hides behind wall once his shield breaks, instead of going rambo on the enemies in front. I can only understand that if there is a Bastion (or a Widowmaker) shooting at him, but depending on how close the Bastion is you can charge and take it down.

nOoblet16

Winston's gun goes through it and Symmetra's alt fore (which is absolutely terrible because of how slow it is).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom