• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, none of those attacks go through Reinhardt's shield.

Beam weapons can't be deflected by Genji or blasted by D.Va's defense matrix, but Reinhardt's shield does not care about that stuff.

Only Symmetra's alt-fire goes through Reinhardt and Winston's shields.

Like I said, unintuitive...

ExVicis

I fucking hate last minute Bastions

I hate Bastions that switch over to Widowmaker on defense when the Payload is really really close to reaching the objective. I don't understand, why even bother? Just stick with Bastion at this point.

Have any of you guys bought the loot boxes?.. >_>
I have not once touched a loot box that was bought with cash. I have remained pure.

Rad-

Passive Reinhardts are the worst. I cringe when a Reinhardt hides behind wall once his shield breaks, instead of going rambo on the enemies in front. I can only understand that if there is a Bastion (or a Widowmaker) shooting at him, but depending on how close the Bastion is you can charge and take it down.

And then McCree appears and destroys that Reinhardt in one second.

WJ7UfCV.png

I would wager far more people have their sensitivity set too high than too low.

Go to the Windows mouse panel. Set it to the middle notch and turn acceleration off. Go to your mouse's DPI settings and set it to whatever you can use comfortably and reliably at your monitor's native res. Setting it super high (including past the mouse's native DPI) is pointless.

Now fire up Overwatch, lower the sensitivity to about 10, and go to the practice range. Try sweeping back and forth between the heads of several of the targets. Hold your mouse and use your arm or wrist in whatever way feels comfortable. If you're overshooting, turn sensitivity down. If you're undershooting, turn sensitivity up. Repeat until you're reliably able to land headshots with sharp, sudden movements.

That's pretty much all you need to do.

(If you play Widowmaker, you can also set her relative scope aim. If you use a lot of high mobility heroes that need precision jumps and turns [e.g., Genji, Tracer, Winston], consider going a little higher.)

vypek

I hate Bastions that switch over to Widowmaker on defense when the Payload is really really close to reaching the objective. I don't understand, why even bother? Just stick with Bastion at this point.

Lol yeah that doesn't make much sense at all.

Balthuk

Just putting this up here:
Noticed that this was posted by blizzard cs eu twitter :
We're currently investigating an issue affecting our authentication servers, which may result in failed or slow login attempts. #BlizzCS

We are aware of an issue affecting our European authentication servers, which may result in slow or failed login attempts. We are currently investigating the cause.

Please follow @BlizzardCSEU_EN on Twitter for further updates.

This seems to only be for eu servers and I can't log in overwatch.

R0ckman

What helped me when I was really frustrated with my random teammates is realized that the opposing team probably has stupid random teammates aswell

Actually not all the time, infact sometimes they put you agaisnt groups. But I've been in groups where its basically the same as going random so...

Raven117

You need to play with a group then. Most of the time, it feels like the game matches you up pretty good, but those times when it matches you up with MLG pro teams can really be demoralizing.

Yeah, I know....probably need to add some Gaf'ers.

I'm just going to make the march to level 25, and then wait for competitive mode...

Passive Reinhardts are the worst. I cringe when a Reinhardt hides behind wall once his shield breaks, instead of going rambo on the enemies in front. I can only understand that if there is a Bastion (or a Widowmaker) shooting at him, but depending on how close the Bastion is you can charge and take it down.

I like playing as Reinhardt everyonce in awhile, but I can't stand it when a PUG team doesn't understand I'm throwing up the shield to make a push. They just eff around.

A Reinhardt going Rambo is usually a dead Reinhardt unless he has back up.

jediyoshi

Winston's gun goes through it and Symmetra's alt fore (which is absolutely terrible because of how slow it is).

I love it for how slow it is. People second guess its speed, so more often than not for area denial, I usually either see people overestimate it and get hit anyway, or underestimate it and keep the lane clear longer than they need to. Its huge hitbox helps when holding down ADAD spammers.

Mupod

There are situations I'll go aggro when the shield is breaking, like if I think I can take their healer out. Doing that every time would be stupid. Why die/feed them ult charge instead of waiting 5 seconds for it to come back?

And unless Bastion is reloading or you're literally on top of it, no you won't.

There are situations I'll go aggro when the shield is breaking, like if I think I can take their healer out. Doing that every time would be stupid. Why die/feed them ult charge instead of waiting 5 seconds for it to come back?

And unless Bastion is reloading or you're literally on top of it, no you won't.
Yeah, rambo Reinhardts (and Roadhogs, and Winstons, and D.Vas) are why I find myself asking where the enemy team got all these ults from.

Cade

whats the range on lucio's alt fire? i swear sometimes ive been closer than that without it registering.

It seems really, REALLY inconsistent. I mean a lot of the game does, but sometimes I'm up close and I knock people back an inch, other times I'm very far away and they get blown onto a different map. It's odd.

I can understand some Reinhardts doing that knowing full well the team won't back him up when charging in.

I see no point in buying the loot boxes what so ever. I intend to play this game for a long time, so I'll likely get all the things I want over time. And even if you weren't planning to stick around, why would you splash out cash in that case anyway?

I love it for how slow it is. People second guess its speed, so more often than not for area denial, I usually either see people overestimate it and get hit anyway, or underestimate it and keep the lane clear longer than they need to. Its huge hitbox helps when holding down ADAD spammers.

Yup, and Reinhardts are usually too slow to get out of its way. Even if they do, it'll probably hit one of the squishies hiding behind them. After setting up all my turrets as Symmetra, I basically stand near the front line and spam her alt fire blindly in the general direction of where the enemy is coming from, It hits more than you would think.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A Reinhardt going Rambo is usually a dead Reinhardt unless he has back up.

Yeah as soon as that shield shatters, you get lit up. Usually not enough time to even make it through the charge wind-up and good luck just strolling up for hammer swing range.

Fugu

Been wondering on this too since I admit I'm not sure what to do with those really or how to find the right fit. I will try dialing it down, though would that be done in game settings or those on the mouse itself?
There are three things you can do here.

First of all, if your mouse has DPI controls, you probably want it set to a low number, like 400 or 800. These are typically optimal numbers for FPSes. Second, in the Windows settings for mice (as well as whatever options for drivers you may have installed), you want to set sensitivity to the middle option so that there's no interference from there.The in-game options should be your last layer of customization.

I posted about this earlier in this thread, but chances are your sensitivity is several orders of magnitude too high for appropriate FPS play if you've just got it set to what is most comfortable for using a computer. You want to give yourself as large a margin of error as possible, and this means setting the sensitivity fairly low. How low you should go is subjective, but it's worth noting that strong FPS players generally have their sensitivity set such that a complete sweep from one side of the mousepad to the other results in one to two 360 degree turns. Chances are, if you're using unadjusted mouse settings, you're probably getting five, ten or even twenty 360 degree turns by going from one end of the mousepad to the other, meaning you must make extremely minute hand gestures to get correct aim. It is not hard to imagine why this would be a fairly significant handicap.

With this in mind, the sensitivity to shoot for is generally the lowest possible value that you can stomach while still being able to move comfortably. Set your sensitivity to an amount and see if you can still move around the stage easily, and then go lower until you can't. The reason that this is a good method is that movement really doesn't require precise mouse input, but aiming does; therefore, your config should strive to make those precise inputs easy.

A note on acceleration: I'm not taking into account players who use acceleration in this post. Acceleration makes calibrating sensitivity far more complicated. There are benefits to acceleration but there are also significant drawbacks; it is best to get used to using a linear sensitivity setting first before you experiment with acceleration. The advantages of acceleration are fairly obvious -- you can get faster turns and more comfortable movement without sacrificing aim -- but many players find it difficult or impossible to be consistent with acceleration enabled and therefore play without it. YMMV but I consider the use of acceleration to be fairly advanced so you shouldn't worry about it for now.

Apathy

Man junkrat does insane damage. Guy on team did 22k and he wan't even mercy boosted. I've only seen bastions get that high.

Where you facing a rein? I make it my business to smack that shield with nades as much as possible and break it and keep it broken as long as possible to help my team

R0ckman

Yeah as soon as that shield shatters, you get lit up. Usually not enough time to even make it through the charge wind-up and good luck just strolling up for hammer swing range.

I've seen a lot of Rein score tons of kills because people don't expect him to drop the sheild and go berserk. This is only effective when they are breathing on you. I was in a group where a Rein basically just let a Winston sit there and fry him with his sheild up rather start hacking him. Our team pretty much just gave up at that point though.

eek5

Al this talk about bad Reinhardt players makes me wonder how could they be so bad. With 15 hours of Reinhardt under my belt, I think it's safe for me to say that he's one of the easiest heroes to play as. Just hold up your damn shield and advance while your teammates shoot from behind your shield.

YxLRWQa.png

bad reinhardt here. AMA

Sorral

try going against 6 mei's at the last point of route 66.

Holy shit that tried my patience. we eventually won, but at the end it was back to back to back freezes. they went 2 at a time and could trap us and kill us. Hello, diminishing returns, would love if you existed here

Late reply. Went against that in Route 66 with randoms... it was a nightmare except for me on Pharah. The Mei's couldn't aim for shit.

Yeah, I know....probably need to add some Gaf'ers.

I'm just going to make the march to level 25, and then wait for competitive mode...

I like playing as Reinhardt everyonce in awhile, but I can't stand it when a PUG team doesn't understand I'm throwing up the shield to make a push. They just eff around.

This and people that push up to the enemies door when we need to guard the point on D. I don't get that. We need to guard the point. Can't do that if 4/6 players are dead because they tried to single handedly take on the whole enemy team where they can easily revive. Then here I am as the only guy by the point with 5 enemy players coming to ruin my day.

speaking of rein.

lol. i would lose my shit if rein shield break as i was behind. he turns around and the person who is playing him calmly says "this is for you" and then charges at the people in front.

eek5

When you turn your back on the action with the shield out, how does that affect your gameplay?

I don't really turn that much with shield up other than to check my peripheral to try to call out or aim my fire strike. Can't remember the last time I was facing the wrong direction with my shield up. Seems silly since your mobility is so bad when you have the shield up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom