• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT2| A New Low in Unlocking and Microtransaction Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Everytime I see our healer as Zenyatta I just switch off tank, I aint staying alive with him (I know he can be good, but I haven't seen it).

I like Zen but he only fits into niche comps and he has to be played extremely well. Good at chunking tanks, especially but I see too many who can't land their shots.

Also, the theme of tonight for me:

I'm on attack: the enemy turtles into an incredible, untouchable bunker of doom

I'm on defense: my team ignores our choke points and runs up to their spawn, tries to pick a fight, wipes and hands them an instant point A.

On the plus, hit lv. 67, pulled my sixth legendary skin and have 2k gold in the bank. Dunno what I even wanna buy with it though, I figure if I spend it now they'll turn around and release Sombra and I'll want a skin for her.

jediyoshi

ushPG50.png

shit, bye >50%

Jblanks

Also just had a really bad Mei Ice wall on my team. There was like 30 seconds left on Hollywood defence first point, and I used my ult as Zarya and captured 4 in it, had high energy and managed to kill the Mercy and then Mei puts her Ice Wall right in front of me blocking me off... we then went on to lose the game. Not only was it unnecessary but at least destroy it..

Kinsei

Banned
Also just had a really bad Mei Ice wall on my team. There was like 30 seconds left on Hollywood defence first point, and I used my ult as Zarya and captured 4 in it, had high energy and managed to kill the Mercy and then Mei puts her Ice Wall right in front of me blocking me off... we then went on to lose the game. Not only was it unnecessary but at least destroy it..

They knew what they were doing. Fuck Mei.

Dad

Yeah, there's definitely got to be something at play in the random hero mode with regards to who you select at the beginning. I've just had too many games where everyone picks the same character as a joke and then we end up with 4-5 of the character when the match starts. Once or twice and I'd just dismiss it as a funny coincidence. It's happened about half of the times everyone goes one character

Dalek

I think I'm going to take a break for a while. I feel like I'm playing with half health and my enemies are dealing double damage.

Jigorath

Banned

Good Meis are hard to come by.

peakish

Depends on the team.
Zen is the only character that's gotten me proper frustrated with the lack of teamwork with randoms. I absolutely love him behind a tank since he can heal pretty well and dish out a ton of damage with his attack and 50% damage boost orb. Both of these also help keeping the tank alive so it's a great synergy. But he's the most vulnerable hero in the game and requires a decent front line for the enemies to not get to him, which isn't happening if people are running their own way.

His ult also is too expensive unless used in a coordinated attack. Ressing one person as Mercy is mostly pretty good (depending on the situation), but that a fantastic waste with Zen.

The comment about switching from a tank when Zen is selected cuts me deep :(

Kinsei

Banned
Just checked and it does 400 dmg. It's kinda weak indeed. The ults are described as "game changers/turn the tide" but Tracy's bomb ain't like that with 400 damage.

Stick it on a Rein defending the entire enemy team and it is. Everyone freaks out and becomes easy pickings for your team.

Mutombo

Zarya is bae

I love Zarya, but it's so hard to play solo. When I barrier friendlies, they hide for cover(?). When I spam, 'my ultimate is ready', nobody replies. You need a hanzo or junkrat or tracer or pharah or anyone with a killable ultimate at your side. Sometimes i feel I do extremely well, me playing Zarya actually winning the game. Sometimes I get zero eliminations and I just get wrecked until I switched to another character.

When's a good time to use Zarya? Whom does she actually counter? Genji, maybe, but genji is too quick. I almost feel Zarya could use a buff; let her own barrier last a little longer, or decrease the time between barriers, or make her ammunition last longer between reloads.

Tracers ult should be a tiny bit easier to stick. A tiny bit.

I caught up with a Reaper and a Soldier in a small corridor, I throw it thinking that's easy double kill and somehow it went between them and it landed on the ground. They casually walk a way since there's a huge warning for something that does less damage than fan the hammer.

peakish

I love Zarya, but it's so hard to play solo. When I barrier friendlies, they hide for cover(?). When I spam, 'my ultimate is ready', nobody replies. You need a hanzo or junkrat or tracer or pharah or anyone with a killable ultimate at your side. Sometimes i feel I do extremely well, me playing Zarya actually winning the game. Sometimes I get zero eliminations and I just get wrecked until I switched to another character.

When's a good time to use Zarya? Whom does she actually counter? Genji, maybe, but genji is too quick. I almost feel Zarya could use a buff; let her own barrier last a little longer, or decrease the time between barriers, or make her ammunition last longer between reloads.
I get the same feeling playing as her. A friend of mine is great with her so I know I can do better, but timing stuff is difficult. I wish people would use their Ultimate Status emote more often, especially as an answer for Zarya's. It's good to know even if someone is only at 20, 50 or 80% status.

She counters Mei pretty well too. Gets people out of freezing-in-progress.

Edzi

Just single handedly carried my team to victory as Lucio. The other team had 99% of the objective while we had zero and everyone else on my team was dead, so I just wall ran in circles inside the objective room killing dudes until they showed up and we somehow managed to hold it for the win.

And yet the other teams Bastion still got the POTG and nobody on my team voted for me at the end even though I was the only one on my team up for vote. -_-

Mutombo

I get the same feeling playing as her. A friend of mine is great with her so I know I can do better, but timing stuff is difficult. I wish people would use their Ultimate Status emote more often, especially as an answer for Zarya's. It's good to know even if someone is only at 20, 50 or 80% status.

She counters Mei pretty well too. Gets people out of freezing-in-progress.

Oh whenever I encounter Mei as Zarya I am dead. Can't reach her with my gun, can't run away, and can't use barrier when frozen. So yeah, you can help yourself/others with barriers, but if a mei gets a zarya from behind.. = dead.

Guys Tracer ult is really strong, don't just look at the numbers alone, if they group up a bit around a mercy/soldier/zen then you can just blink in stick it and get out. It also explodes really quick so they don't have a lot of time to react, especially compared to the reaction needed for an ult like DVa.

peakish

Oh whenever I encounter Mei as Zarya I am dead. Can't reach her with my gun, can't run away, and can't use barrier when frozen. So yeah, you can help yourself/others with barriers, but if a mei gets a zarya from behind.. = dead.
You can use your own barrier to reset your freezing status (before you are completely frozen). More than twice the time to kill her and getting a damage buff on top makes Zarya pretty good at dealing with her.

Or so my friend says, I actually haven't run into a Mei with her myself yet :p

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Wow, had a team of five quit on the other team and rather than the match just go on, it kicked everyone out and put us back into matchmaking.

So, if you're in a full team and want to fuck over the team that's going to beat you, just quit so they get no EXP.

Wow, had a team of five quit on the other team and rather than the match just go on, it kicked everyone out and put us back into matchmaking.

So, if you're in a full team and want to fuck over the team that's going to beat you, just quit so they get no EXP.
Never really thought about that happening.

That's bullshit. What shit design. It should award you a victory and whatever XP you've earned up to that point.

nOoblet16

Because I had to get at and behind Rein's shield or near Roadhogg and not die instantly!

Let's be honest "getting to them" is not really hard with Tracer, even head on. Same for getting behind when you can just go through them using blink. But most of the time you would be doing neither and approaching them from behind. "Getting out" is even easier with recall, some guy once claimed that he should be able to do a lot more damage with that ult because he went in and got out safe.

For something that you can put down so fast it does a lot of damage as it is, the high damaging ults in the game all have their start up time/loud call/mobility penality to balance their damage off, Tracer's Ult is the quickest and the most relatively silent one in the game.

whyman

People are getting better at taking out Torbjörn. This worries me. Still, with a good team I average about 22 kills with about 4 deaths.

Happened to me a while back on Gibraltar, our team basically destroyed them and all them left, and we got kicked and never got the win or exp. So lame.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Never really thought about that happening.

That's bullshit. What shit design. It should award you a victory and whatever XP you've earned up to that point.

Even more annoying since I only needed about 200 xp to level, so I had to play another full match again.

Anyway, I ended up getting 3 skins in one box, probably the best box I've gotten. Don't play any of these characters, though.
Czh9K4cl.png

Shakala

Yeah no doubt Zarya seems to rely on coordinated play a bit more than other heroes. Alough her ult is best for comboing with most of the damage dealers, she can get work done with her right click too

MBison

My 12 year old daughter is ranked in the top 150 as Mei on master Overwatch. Proud daddy moment :)

Zarya is one of my favorite characters and she can absolutely wreck the world when her weapon power is up. It's true it's tough to play with randoms. She's great on the KOTH games cause she can stay alive. I use her grenade more than the laser but I know that's a mistake cause when her weapon is highly charged that laser just melts. Best to hang just behind other characters to avoid being a focus and just save those shields for you and partners entering battle.

Fliesen

which is really really dumb and spiteful.

dumb, because the losing team in overwatch pretty much gets the same exact XP as the winning team, except for the 600(?) XP awarded to the winner.

that's like 20% of the total exp earned for the game.
There's still gold medals being handed out, the time-based XP is the same.

Also, you'll lose the "consecutive game" bonus if you quit.

... i've been playing a few matches as Reaper yesterday. He's so ... edgy. but ... but ... a really good hero, if you play conservatively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom