• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I play D.Va, can I block enemy D'va's self destruct using my own Defense Matrix?
I was under the impression that the Matrix only blocks projectiles.

So D.Va's self destruct shouldn't work.

EDIT: Although, a common way to use a self-destruct is to "lob" it, so I wonder if you can fly up and block it. Hm.

abundant

Alright, I love playing Lucio on KOTH now that I can wall grind. People on the PS4 have trouble taking me down and I end up contesting the point for a long time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If I play D.Va, can I block enemy D'va's self destruct using my own Defense Matrix?

Only partially from my experience. Something about the hitboxes cause you to take half damage but it won't outright destroy your mech.

edit: hmm, or maybe not? I definitely recall only being reduced to half health with defense matrix though.

Only partially from my experience. Something about the hitboxes cause you to take half damage but it won't outright destroy your mech.

edit: hmm, or maybe not? I definitely recall only being reduced to half health with defense matrix though.
Dumb question, but do you remember what damage was absorbed? Was it part of the entire self-destruct? Or did you get away intact but others died?

I just played against the biggest group of kiddos I've ever seen. One guy had played Bastion exclusively, 60 hours, and was apparently rank 103 on Master Overwatch. Had a whole team of six all based around hosing people with Bastion while constantly calling people "trannies", "fags", and shit-talking.

And that's an issue. But another issue is that - at least for me and mine - the Overwatch matchmaking has shit the bed. Their entire team was Lvl. 80 and above while my team average was somewhere around 40. And we weren't in a group. We stayed matched for 4 games, because I was always so close to winning but my teammates just didn't have the experience dealing with Bastion teams.

This same situation - albeit with less toxic people on the other end and hopefully not full teams - has been happening the last two days. Constant teams of people that are 2 or 3 times the level of my team average. The game is actually unplayable in Quick Play. Guess I should switch over to PTR?

been good with hanzo. i don't even jump from the corner and shoot. lijiang tower is some good stuff to snipe people on and shoot the multi arrows into those tight areas

Apathy

just had an awesome game on dorado, with an amazing team. then the game decides naw, too good, heres you being put directly into a defeat screen

Grisby

Damn, now that I've unlocked the Tracer highlight intro I suddenly care way to much about POTG. And I'm 60 something so things are getting tough.

spiritfox

I wonder if changing Mei so that her primary more damage but does not totally freeze would be better. The slow will still be there, but you have time to actually fight back. Her ult can remain the same since it's an ult.

Antiwhippy

Huh, interesting. I'll need to test that. Hard to bait that particular situation tho :p

Surprisingly easy in KotH honestly. Like I see a lot of Dva in KotH, and I've taken to playing her there too. Lots of tight places so range isn't a problem, ult is a great zoning tool, and lots of places to boost people off the level.

I'd still say that if I want to beast KotH I'd pick roadhog and zarya, but whatever, I like playing Dva and I do pretty good with her.

Surprisingly easy in KotH honestly. Like I see a lot of Dva in KotH, and I've taken to playing her there too. Lots of tight places so range isn't a problem, ult is a great zoning tool, and lots of places to boost people off the level.

I'd still say that if I want to beast KotH I'd pick roadhog and zarya, but whatever, I like playing Dva and I do pretty good with her.
I think I'll do that. I've had limited success with her on KotH, but maybe I'll pick something up.

Apathy

second time tonight that the game searches for over 2 minutes, finds a game, i get in and then says not enough players and goes back to the main screen to search again

champloo

What's my role on the team as Zarya? She doesn't seem to do very well at the front line tanking damages.. I played as her a lot recently but could only average at 2700 damage/8 elimination per game. I get how to use her shield and her ult, but sometimes I just don't know where should I be..

Sora_N

I have 1000 finally, dunno what to buy.

Thinkiing one of the Mercy skins, I only got one Legendary within 41 levels. :/

It was Pharah, I actually didn't use her until yesterday and she's pretty fun.

Antiwhippy

What's my role on the team as Zarya? She doesn't seem to do very well at the front line tanking damages.. I played as her a lot recently but could only average at 2700 damage/8 elimination per game. I get how to use her shield and her ult, but sometimes I just don't know where should I be..

Best way to describe it is that you return their damage back to them. You should be constantly weaving in and out of the frontlines. You see your teammate in the middle of the firefight, bubble them. In a middle of a firefight, bubble, and then start wrecking ball until your HP runs down and then immediately duck out until you get your bubble and HP shields back. Remember that half of her HP recovers because of shield. Lob grenades from long range and then when they are close melt them, but if they are in a group grenades work best. Always better as a second tank, hard to work with as solo tank, though I find that she pairs well with reaper.

I run super hot and cold with her though. I can be carving a warpath with her, or I could be only getting like 5 elims with 15% average energy.

She works better when there's another tank or offense class near her. If she's alone, there's no one for her to shield and when she shields, they simply don't shoot her until it wears off. But if she's with her teammates, she builds charge much faster and people have to be more discriminate with their shots.

She works best in a 2/3 Tank set up, usually behind the Reinhardt, and shielding when needed while dpsing/protecting Rein/Lucio/Mercy (Though the Mercy should be hiding/flying around)

But then again this only applies to groups/pubs that have some resemblance of understanding of composition/meta. Most games people think 1 Tank and 1 Support is enough (it fucking isn't and triggers the fuck out of me) which really puts Zarya in a weird spot.

I have 1000 finally, dunno what to buy.

Thinkiing one of the Mercy skins, I only got one Legendary within 41 levels. :/

It was Pharah, I actually didn't use her until yesterday and she's pretty fun.

Wait till tomorrow's update to see if there is a new skin you are interested in.

Is competitive mode being added on Tuesday? Or has it been delayed to July?

Patch coming tomorrow at the earliest.

Apathy

Shes a pretty aggressive tank that knows when to back up.

At the start you want to have your shield up and make sure you use it when you know you're going to take damage to buff yourself, similarly you want to give your shield to someone that is about to take damage to buff you as well.

if you're not at say 45%+ buff, you'll want to backup and heal up, wait for your cooldowns and go again. after 45%, you're a wrecking ball, you can start melting faces but you need to keep predicting damage taken and using your shield.

maomaoIYP

I don't think anyone thinks she's genuinely OP or needs to be nerfed.

She's just F-tier and an annoyance in the game.

She's much less annoying than a McCree who can flashbang and fan the hammer to kill most of the cast instantly. If she's so F-tier, no one should be complaining about how annoying she is because she'll be a free frag every single time. There's a reason why she's a defense hero and her skills are all designed around that. Often times when the defending team is busy playing TDM I'll be the only one on the objective, and being a Mei helps every single bit.

DVa's defense matrix absolutely does not protect against a DVa self destruct. I stood in front of a self destruct once with full health and got wrecked instantly.

Antiwhippy

DVa's defense matrix absolutely does not protect against a DVa self destruct. I stood in front of a self destruct once with full health and got wrecked instantly.

Weird, then what caused me to go to half health? Maybe my distance from it? Maybe some weird geometry thing?

Kito

Finally got the Zenyatta cute spray, and the heal was over 2500. Happened against a simultaneous Zarya (at high energy), Pharah and Reaper ult.

Based Zarya bringing my teammates to me. They always run away.

Grisby

I wonder if changing Mei so that her primary more damage but does not totally freeze would be better. The slow will still be there, but you have time to actually fight back. Her ult can remain the same since it's an ult.
I think the freeze needs to be there. I mean, Mei is my most played character and it's not like I'm freezing the entire team all the time. Players, at least in my experience, this past week have become more wise to Mei's and usually if I stop long enough to freeze someone their teammates kill me right after that.

However, you can use it to freeze lone players that have gotten away from the group. If you take that away I think it would really weaken her character.

champloo

Best way to describe it is that you return their damage back to them. You should be constantly weaving in and out of the frontlines. You see your teammate in the middle of the firefight, bubble them. In a middle of a firefight, bubble, and then start wrecking ball until your HP runs down and then immediately duck out until you get your bubble and HP shields back. Remember that half of her HP recovers because of shield. Lob grenades from long range and then when they are close melt them, but if they are in a group grenades work best. Always better as a second tank, hard to work with as solo tank, though I find that she pairs well with reaper.

I run super hot and cold with her though. I can be carving a warpath with her, or I could be only getting like 5 elims with 15% average energy.

Ew.. 15% average energy is supposed to be bad? I only average at 20% lifetime energy lol.

She works best in a 2/3 Tank set up, usually behind the Reinhardt, and shielding when needed while dpsing/protecting Rein/Lucio/Mercy (Though the Mercy should be hiding/flying around)

But then again this only applies to groups/pubs that have some resemblance of understanding of composition/meta. Most games people think 1 Tank and 1 Support is enough (it fucking isn't and triggers the fuck out of me) which really puts Zarya in a weird spot.

I have problem looking through Reinhardt's shield. it might as well be a blindfold for me..
Yea there are times my team has no support and I am the only tank as Zarya. It turned miserable pretty quickly.

Shes a pretty aggressive tank that knows when to back up.

At the start you want to have your shield up and make sure you use it when you know you're going to take damage to buff yourself, similarly you want to give your shield to someone that is about to take damage to buff you as well.

if you're not at say 45%+ buff, you'll want to backup and heal up, wait for your cooldowns and go again. after 45%, you're a wrecking ball, you can start melting faces but you need to keep predicting damage taken and using your shield.

So it's better to stay close to the front line most of the time? sometimes I just have the itch to flank the Junkrat/Hanzo that I have problem reaching..

She's much less annoying than a McCree who can flashbang and fan the hammer to kill most of the cast instantly. If she's so F-tier, no one should be complaining about how annoying she is because she'll be a free frag every single time. There's a reason why she's a defense hero and her skills are all designed around that. Often times when the defending team is busy playing TDM I'll be the only one on the objective, and being a Mei helps every single bit.
A McCree on my team is a boon. A McCree on the other team is a challenge.

A Mei on my team is often a liability. A Mei on the other team is a guaranteed annoyance.

She's an F-Tier hero, just like Zen, Torb and Hanzo.

Speely

Banned
Man it's tough out there. I just had the best game of my OW life... playing Zarya on Dorado and came THIS CLOSE to not dying once (I am not a great player but getting better, and I always play the objective so this never happens lol,) Was in there laying down shields all over the place and basically being unkillable just by payload-strafing and using the relatively narrow corridor to my advantage, with alt-fire grenades to provide a lot of area denial while melting anyone in range with normal fire since my Energy was always full-to-bursting.

Torb got PotG with a two-person kill and I got zero card votes even though my card was all like "you are awesome." I usually don't care about any of that, but after that almost-perfect game, I got a lil butthurt,

Satch

Banned
Im trying so hard to make mccree work but hes just so garbage my god i cant fucking deal with these reapers anymore make it stop

A Mei on my team is often a liability. A Mei on the other team is a guaranteed annoyance.

I completely agree with this. Every time I see Mei selected I automatically write the game off as a lost.

Grief.exe

If I see Roadhog, Bastion or Torbjorn on character selection, I will quit instantly.

Roadhog is definitely a solid pick. Bastion, Torb are complete trash on PC.

The utility just isn't there, the ult is easy to dodge, and the damage definitely isn't there. Whenever I play with a Mei I can feel the team struggle with pushing objectives due to the lack of damage on the other team.

She's a distraction.

Not sure where people are getting the new skins thing from. I know for sure Ranked is coming but skins? Nah.

Unless they mixed up Competitive skins for regular skins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom