• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Tonight I get on... not really feeling it... and I we get wrecked in my first game. I admit... for only like the third time in ~50 hours, I rage quit toward the end, and exited to the desktop.

I sat there... debated what else I wanted to play. Tokyo Mirage isn't here yet. I'm not really feeling starting up my PS4 and playing Uncharted. I just don't have the motivation to dig into anything. I want something mindless, and so I begrudgingly start the game back up.

A couple of my friends hop on, and I find myself having a decent if unremarkable time. But it's good enough. It's killing time on my lazy Sunday night.

One friend gets off, and me and my remaining friend play a few more rounds.

Until we get into one particular game - Attack on Holywood. And we just absolutely annihilate the defending team. Nobody else on our team seems to be doing shit. We have two Widows that suck. We have no healer. Nobody is pushing. We struggle HARD to capture the first point but manage.

Somehow, we have 60 seconds left and we're about 10 feet from getting the win. I toss my D.Va Ult into the ring, get a few kills, jump back in. Me and a D.Va trade some shots. A bastion knocks me out of my mech.

And this is when it happens. Me and my buddy - him a Reaper, me a D.Va out of mech - just go to fucking town on this enemy team. Their two Bastions BOTH pop their ults, and me and him are weaving back and forth in perfect harmony in opposite directions, and they can't land a hit, while we just pick them off - AND the other folks on their team - until we team WIPE and we win the game.

Fucking amazing.

This game pisses me off. And I'm really starting to lose my desire to play. It's getting repetitive. The unlock system is a fucking joke. The content is light. And randoms are annoying as shit. Progression is basically nonexistant.

All that said - I had a fucking blast that round, and it made the whole night worth it. One of the best FPS memories I've got in the last year. Just awesome.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
If I see Roadhog, Bastion or Torbjorn on character selection, I will quit instantly.

My last few games I'm averaging 80%+ hook accuracy and 20-25 eliminations a round as Roadhog.

All three of those characters are worth having on your team. So long as they don't get fucked by Genji, they're a billion times better than another sniper.

I don't even know how I did it you guys, but holy shit...I just had a positive K/D with Widowmaker AND we won. All in the same game.

...is this real life?

I don't even know how I did it you guys, but holy shit...I just had a positive K/D with Widowmaker AND we won. All in the same game.

...is this real life?
image.php

pinch yourself to make sure.

Skel1ingt0n

...is this real life?

I can't believe a Widow could possibly go negative K/D ...

My last few games I'm averaging 80%+ hook accuracy and 20-25 eliminations a round as Roadhog.

All three of those characters are worth having on your team. So long as they don't get fucked by Genji, they're a billion times better than another sniper.

I've seen good players who use the said characters but the majority that I come across are mostly bad. They get counter-picked and they do nothing. They don't pay attention to team composition (their own teammates), and they don't attack objectives (two torret users obviously); but Roadhog is a tank, and I met a lot of bad Roadhog players (he is very popular among new users).

I don't know where you guys stand in terms of player level (I am nearly 30), but at my level, the frequency of bad Roadhog, Torb and Bastion players is high. I don't get why guys are getting so butthurt about. I am obviously half-joking, but I will most likely quit if I see a combination of those characters being used by low level players.

Where are you playing where there aren't any good roadhogs?

Because I am level 30? I don't know exactly, but I've had a lot of them recently (mostly by low level players). They just either pick him, or don't play tanks at all. Winston is solid, and he is fun to use, but people don't like him for some reason (nerdy ape?). I might change my sleeping schedule to play with some of the people that I added recently.

Grief.exe

I've seen good players who use the said characters but the majority that I come across are mostly bad. They get counter-picked and they do nothing. They don't pay attention to team composition (their own teammates), and they don't attack objectives (two torret users obviously); but Roadhog is a tank, and I met a lot of bad Roadhog players (he is very popular among new users).

I don't know where you guys stand in terms of player level (I am nearly 30), but at my level, the frequency of bad Roadhog, Torb and Bastion players is high. I don't get why guys are getting so butthurt about. I am obviously half-joking, but I will most likely quit if I see a combination of those characters being used by low level players.

Mei, Torb, Bastion are trash picks and no one is going to argue with you.

You came to the wrong neighborhood to fuck with Roadhog fam.

Mei, Torb, Bastion are trash picks and no one is going to argue with you.

You came to the wrong neighborhood to fuck with Roadhog fam.

I should have known. All those fanarts and Waifus (Hanzo the most popular one apparently).

Agreed. Good Roadhogs are frustratingly good opponents and great allies to have.

They are hard to take down once they are in the objective area, and they squish all those flying and running 200hp characters. The thing is, I met three Roadhogs today who didn't get near the objective.

Skel1ingt0n

Because I am level 30? I don't know exactly, but I've had a lot of them recently (mostly by low level players). They just either pick him, or don't play tanks at all. Winston is solid, and he is fun to use, but people don't like him for some reason (nerdy ape?). I might change my sleeping schedule to play with some of the people that I added recently.

Bastion isn't bad in randoms. But if the enemy team is smart enough to counterpick (they switch to Genji or D.VA), then fucking change. I agree, if your teammates don't switch, then yeah, fuck 'em.

But I'll say, take Dorado, if you're playing defense and have a Torb and a Bastion in opposite corners on attackers entrance, you can do some damage.

Regardless, though, I don't really care too much. I never play them.

But don't fuck with my man 'Hog. ;p

R0ckman

I've only ever had one good Roadhog on my team and I friended that bastard. Everyone else has been terrible. Do nothing but feed ults, whiff hooks and hide behind cover taking a breather.

Bastion isn't bad in randoms. But if the enemy team is smart enough to counterpick (they switch to Genji or D.VA), then fucking change. I agree, if your teammates don't switch, then yeah, fuck 'em.

But I'll say, take Dorado, if you're playing defense and have a Torb and a Bastion in opposite corners on attackers entrance, you can do some damage.

Regardless, though, I don't really care too much. I never play them.

But don't fuck with my man 'Hog. ;p

Those silly randoms insulted your 'Hog by playing him inappropriately.

I wouldn't use winston as a lone tank honestly unless it's like KotH.

Yeah I feel that when I play Winston. The Winston stacking is great and disgusting though.

champloo

Why are some of the maps so damn dark? I can't see people until I eat some bullet, while the enemy Hanzo don't have problem hitting me. and there are some rooms in Gibraltar/Route66 that seems to be completely unlit, I have to tread the dark for 2 seconds until I find the exit. I wonder if playing on a higher setting changes this? I have everything on low..

Skel1ingt0n

Those silly randoms insulted your 'Hog by playing him inappropriately.

Fair.

I feel like when I'm Hog, I fuck.Tracer.up.

But then when a Hog is on the other team, I switch to Tracer and they just can't catch me.

I don't know if that means I'm a great Hog or a Great Tracer... but I do know I'm only decent with pretty much every other character.

You guys clearly haven't seen my Widow.

Or played Widow on console it would seem. Where the aim sensitivity across horizontal / vertical is jank, and aim assist constantly drags your aim to other targets. Meanwhile, characters you have to worry about getting close to you like Tracer run riot as the generally less accurate console players have increased difficulty taking more agile fighters down.

R0ckman

One thing that I see a lot is Bastions that don't switch out, but my queue times are really long all the time for some reason. Had a match where I kept melting Bastion as Solider. He refused to switch, but they were complaining about going up agaisnt level 100 plus plauers so maybe the werent that skillful. Though they did hold us at a choke point on route 66 for a bit, but I uses Soilder to fix that up.

I love Soilder, he's so helpful, if you are good he's provides that all around support. Got guys on your team not dealing with torbs or bastion, bust out 76, spray from a distance and bust out the rocket for the last bit of burst damage.

If I get into a good group it usually only lasts about 2-3 games until we get separated or I get switched to the opposite team and leave.

gryvan

Fair.

I feel like when I'm Hog, I fuck.Tracer.up.

But then when a Hog is on the other team, I switch to Tracer and they just can't catch me.

I don't know if that means I'm a great Hog or a Great Tracer... but I do know I'm only decent with pretty much every other character.

it probably means you know the timing of the hook so that you can react to it faster

thats how my tracer can't be caught 90% of time against roadhog

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
What's my role on the team as Zarya? She doesn't seem to do very well at the front line tanking damages.. I played as her a lot recently but could only average at 2700 damage/8 elimination per game. I get how to use her shield and her ult, but sometimes I just don't know where should I be..
You need someone else with you if you're gonna be on the frontline with Zarya. You'll get destroyed going at it by yourself. She's all about weaving in and out depending on her cool downs and shields. Start by hanging in the back a bit, shield someone ahead of you who is getting shot at, push in front of them when their shield goes down, activate your bubble when you start taking damage, then move back when your regular shields start taking damage, wait for cool downs and shields to recharge, and repeat.

If your team isn't aggressive and is just hanging back trying to snipe you'll be an easy target for the enemy team and you'll have a hard time charging your weapon.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Taking a new approach to support on solo queue. If after a few minutes my team is hopeless, I just switch to Torb for the rest of the match and dick around. The sad thing is that a lot of the time they don't even notice...

champloo

What does a good team usually look like on attacks? Whenever I'm on attack I panic a little. It all seems to come down to having one good push. I pick Lucio the most because he is the hardest to mess up with. But there are times when things are looking bad and Lucio can't do much about it, then I don't know who to switch to.
There was a match when we were attacking on Hollywood, an enemy Winston kept jumping around our spawn, later a Reaper joined him and we barely got to the main gate. then there were a Torbjorn and a Bastion waiting to melt us down inside. I ended up getting five gold medals but it was like with only 1 elimination..

Jintor

these days I play counterpicks against whatever annoys me the most. Turret defences are vulnerable to range dps so farah (if room to maneuver), widow, sollie, hanzo. Maybe their team is working really well because their support is incredible, so get a angry winston or a d.va in there to pick off individual reinforcements running in or take the pressure off the main mob brawling.

What does a good team usually look like on attacks? Whenever I'm on attack I panic a little. It all seems to come down to having one good push. I pick Lucio the most because he is the hardest to mess up with. But there are times when things are looking bad and Lucio can't do much about it, then I don't know who to switch to.
There was a match when we were attacking on Hollywood, an enemy Winston kept jumping around our spawn, later a Reaper joined him and we barely got to the main gate. then there were a Torbjorn and a Bastion waiting to melt us down inside. I ended up getting five gold medals but it was like with only 1 elimination..

Sounds like you just had a bad team. If a Winston was jumping around your spawn someone should have gone Reaper to counter him.

On attack I like to at least have a Reinhardt and Lucio. Mercy works too but I feel like Lucio is infinitely better as an offensive healer. I'm also okay with switching Reinhardt out for Zarya if you have offensive heroes that go well with her, such as Soldier 76 and Reaper.

Or played Widow on console it would seem. Where the aim sensitivity across horizontal / vertical is jank, and aim assist constantly drags your aim to other targets. Meanwhile, characters you have to worry about getting close to you like Tracer run riot as the generally less accurate console players have increased difficulty taking more agile fighters down.

Ah true, I should have mentioned I was on PS4. I suck with snipers in FPS games anyway but I really struggle to have good games with Widow.

these days I play counterpicks against whatever annoys me the most. Turret defences are vulnerable to range dps so farah (if room to maneuver), widow, sollie, hanzo. Maybe their team is working really well because their support is incredible, so get a angry winston or a d.va in there to pick off individual reinforcements running in or take the pressure off the main mob brawling.

If there's one main thing that really annoys me about playing pubs, it's that NO ONE knows how to counter-pick. As soon as I see a Bastion or Torbjorn up ahead, I can be totally confident that I'm going to have to be the one to figure out how to take it out, as my teammates will just keep running into the meat grinder over and over again rather than switch off their precious main.

And even when I do the job of taking it out, of course my team never capitalizes. Lost count of how many times I've rushed a turret with D.Va and taken it out, only to turn around and realize that none of my team is there.

Also, I recently made the mistake of disabling kill-cams to go straight to observing my teammates while I wait to respawn, which has only shown me that, yes, they really are as bad as I think they are. Widowmakers a whole screen away showcasing their horrible aim as they hit nothing. Reapers a few steps away from the payload who just stand there and fire at nothing while the overtime timer runs out and we lose. smh

Heh. As someone who has chased down and annihilated so many Hanzos with Symmetra... completely accurate.

ramyeon

And even when I do the job of taking it out, of course my team never capitalizes. Lost count of how many times I've rushed a turret with D.Va and taken it out, only to turn around and realize that none of my team is there.
This is the worst. So many times I've been saying into the mic "Okay guys, Bastion's down. Turret's down. Let's do thi----" And then turn around and all my teammates are scattered around the map chasing after kills.

Jintor

the reason i don't play hanzo much is because i'm shit like that lol. although surprisingly i'm a better widowmaker than i thought, though I usually only use her to get rid of fucking turrets

is there a way to quick cancel out of killcams? suicide kill cams are the fucking worst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom