• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was kind of insanely thinking about the question "What other possibilities are there for sniping?", and then I had an epiphany and immediately a whole character concept came together in my mind.

Think of a Captain Ahab-like grizzled Greek (from Ilios!) fisherman who uses a harpoon gun.
His scoped fire would be a fishing hook where he'd pull people out of position (not directly towards him like Roadhog does, but in his direction). That would deal little to no damage, though. He wouldn't be about damage, either way - his harpoon gun would deal okay damage but be rather slow and the primary fire has no scope either.
His abilities could be a net where he restrains a character of choice (could be a good combo with the fishing hook to stop snipers from running away once out of position and also to pick off healers etc. in a team fight), and his second one would have to be a healing mechanic we have yet to see: Throwing out little health packs instead of directly or passively healing. Of course the health packs would be fish. :p
And as an ultimate, I thought of this ingenious mechanic: He blows the foghorn of his ship, and any enemy within hearing range is deafened. Which means that while they still can see and kill your teammates, they cannot hear them approaching or "HIIIIIIGH NOON!"ing or whatever. Would be the closest you'd have to a stealth mechanic without actual invisibility.

It would be a perfect CC-based support and countersniper.

Zeliard

Look how big that hitbox is.

All projectiles actually have the exact same hitbox size on enemies. The reason Hanzo stands out so much is because a headshot from a fully-drawn arrow does 250 damage, which one-shots everything that isn't a tank or Bastion.

This is also why the better Hanzos will aim deliberately and almost always fully charge their arrows before firing unless they are finishing off a weak enemy. The arrows are also much faster and more accurate the longer they're drawn.

It's too bad Hanzo has gotten such a poor reputation. He's a blast to play and can be highly effective in a lot of situations in pubs. He gives his team constant vision and has a lot of one-shot potential through headshots and his scatter arrows, so he can punish squishier priority targets and do a lot of damage to tanks. Very good anti-flanker as well for those same reasons.

The mistake people make is playing him as a longer-range sniper and rarely hanging around the team or the objective, which also plays into his reputation. He's really a mid-range skirmisher.

Blues1990

I never hear Mei banter before a match, what does she say to other heroes?

Mei has some fun banter with Winston, such as how she Iikes his glasses or when she comments that one of his equations is wrong. Tracer seems to be good pals with Mei, Mercy comments that she looks good for her age, & Junkrat has a line which basically calls her hefty, while Mei will comment that "she doesn't like bullies".

All projectiles actually have the exact same hitbox size on enemies. The reason Hanzo stands out so much is because a headshot from a fully-drawn arrow does 250 damage, which one-shots everything that isn't a tank or Bastion.

This is also why the better Hanzos will aim deliberately and almost always fully charge their arrows before firing unless they are finishing off a weak enemy. The arrows are also much faster and more accurate the longer they're drawn.

It's too bad Hanzo has gotten such a poor reputation. He's a blast to play and can be highly effective in a lot of situations in pubs. He gives his team constant vision and has a lot of one-shot potential through headshots and his scatter arrows, so he can punish squishier priority targets and do a lot of damage to tanks. Very good anti-flanker as well for those same reasons.

The mistake people make is playing him as a longer-range sniper and rarely hanging around the team or the objective, which also plays into his reputation. He's really a mid-range skirmisher.

Aye, the bolded is quite a problem for his reputation. Too many Hanzo players seem to find a perch they like (many times on a KOTH map) and never budge, just expecting the rest of the team to cover everything else.

This might be okay if Hanzo was cleaning up and always was picking off half the other team before they made attempts at the point, but I have never seen this happen. They might get maybe one person if they're lucky, but usually they'll just be ineffective and make every team fight a 6v5 situation.

A5im6ox.jpg

What a great comp. Can't believe we lost. Nobody on my team switched heroes all match except me.

man you guys are rough. Who cares what someone types to you.

You know what, fairs fair, I'll admit to being wrong and misinformed. I had been informed by friends and others that the appropriate response was to mute/block/report for this behavior but upon further investigation, I was incorrect.

man you guys are rough. Who cares what someone types to you.

If someone is a big dick about it (so not just "gg ez lol"), then I definitely will report them.
The other day I was playing with a few friends and we had a bad game, couldn't get the payload to the first checkpoint (there was various reasons for it), and the Mei on the enemy team started taunting us going "LOLOLOL not even to the first checkpoint you guys suck" and such, so I actually did take the time to report that player.

I've done it. I've finally found the solution to stop myself from getting so tilted and salty.

I just keep a stack of notecards next to me while I play. When I die, I write down something I could have done to prevent my death. Same things with losses. Really helps me focus on my own individual play rather than what my team is doing.

It makes me feel kind of like a dweeb having pen and paper next to me, but otherwise I end up blowing up midgame and stop having any fun because I'm holding gold objective kills as Mercy or something. :L

This is actually hella sophisticated

Jesus, just massacred Volskaya in 1:30.

Yeah, the key with that map and Temple of Anubis on Attack is to just fucking CHARGE at Point B as soon as Point A is captured. Wait too long and the enemy team has time to turtle up, get their Bastions and Torbjorn turrets in position, and generally hold you off for a good long while.

Had a great game on Volskaya a while back as D.Va. Was running back from the spawn point just as my team was finishing up capturing Point A, and didn't even wait for the bar to fill before making a right and boosted directly to Point B on my own. Started blowing up Symmetra turrets and generally causing a ruckus before the rest of my team showed up. I ended up dead, but the rest of the team came in soon after, and we captured the point after only a minute or so.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Had a game in hollywood where we had a genji just running around point a when they were about to deliver the payload.

And then i got stuck on the chairs in the spawn room.

This game.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Yeah, the key with that map and Temple of Anubis on Attack is to just fucking CHARGE at Point B as soon as Point A is captured. Wait too long and the enemy team has time to turtle up, get their Bastions and Torbjorn turrets in position, and generally hold you off for a good long while.

Had a great game on Volskaya a while back as D.Va. Was running back from the spawn point just as my team was finishing up capturing Point A, and didn't even wait for the bar to fill before making a right and boosted directly to Point B on my own. Started blowing up Symmetra turrets and generally causing a ruckus before the rest of my team showed up. I ended up dead, but the rest of the team came in soon after, and we captured the point after only a minute or so.

Yeah loads of people dont seem to understand this. We won on hanamura by capturing the first point then me as lucio using speed boost and just burst onto the second point and captured it.

A5im6ox.jpg

What a great comp. Can't believe we lost. Nobody on my team switched heroes all match except me.

This is my version of hell.

Zeliard

Aye, the bolded is quite a problem for his reputation. Too many Hanzo players seem to find a perch they like (many times on a KOTH map) and never budge, just expecting the rest of the team to cover everything else.

This might be okay if Hanzo was cleaning up and always was picking off half the other team before they made attempts at the point, but I have never seen this happen. They might get maybe one person if they're lucky, but usually they'll just be ineffective and make every team fight a 6v5 situation.

There's rarely a reason to hang too far back as Hanzo. Hitting shots with him becomes more reliable the closer you are to the target, and that goes for both regular arrows and scatter. His ult is also a lot more effective if you can shoot it at roughly close-range behind a wall, where you can all but guarantee kills in pubs, unless you're purely trying to zone the enemy out. He also can't really anti-flank as well if he isn't near his team.

With McCree currently struggling somewhat vs Reaper and Genji since they can escape before he finishes his FTH, Hanzo's anti-flanking potential is more prominent. A charged headshot or scatter at the feet of a Reaper, Tracer, or Genji (after baiting out the deflect) will end their flanking attempt pretty swiftly.

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
Some of these achievements/trophies for certain characters are whack.

For example, I was going for one of Winston's and wasn't sure why the trophy wasn't coming up until I had another look at the requirements.

Destroy 10 placeable things in a single life? Seriously?

It's not as bad as you think, if the opponent is playing Symmetra and placing them in the starting area you can get it. If they are playing more than one Symmetra then you should be golden. I got it on Anubis when the opposing team was playing like 4 Symmetras.

Zarya is super on-trend at the moment.

I kind of feel bad for those people that were in on the Zarya before it was cool.

I mean, yeah, you can still pick her. But you ain't getting an ounce of hipster cred for it.

On the Hanzo topic, I played Hanzo all day yesterday. I might have been pretending to be an eight year old who was too afraid to switch off. I'm not sure.

But he actually seemed pretty strong. Firing his scatter arrow into edge of a doorway while someone walks through is an easy kill. His Sonar arrows seem fairly useful and getting headshots in tight corridors lets him be a nightmare on maps with easy chokes like Lijiang. Not McCree by any measure, but I could see him filling a fairly similar role in a Comp lineup.

The downside is that no matter how well you do, your teammates will blame any failing on you. I had my whole team quit on me - literally 4 people - because I wouldn't switch when I was sitting on Gold Elims, Obj Kills, Objective Time, and Silver Damage. Ended up winning the next two points with a new team.

X-Frame

Zarya is super on-trend at the moment.

I kind of feel bad for those people that were in on the Zarya before it was cool.

I mean, yeah, you can still pick her. But you ain't getting an ounce of hipster cred for it.

Zarya is my most played at double the time of my 2nd most played, and yes I've seen a lot more recently.

Also, Double Zarya is a new favorite comp of mine, more so than picking another Tank like I used to. I stick with the other Zarya because I know that Zarya (if they understand the character) is going to be peeking out to exposure herself to gather damage for Energy every 10 or so seconds, and once her self Barrier goes down I will then Barrier her immediately for my own Energy, then peek out myself, and then they Barrier me, rinse and repeat and we both maintain High Energy.

It's hard a hell to break especially if our team has some flankers to annoy the team. Works well for Defense and Offense, but better for Offense I'd say.

How long does Zarya's energy pool last? I've never played her and typically either deal with her as often as possible to avoid having randoms charge her on accident or I'm playing with a group where we can ignore her for the most part.

On the Hanzo topic, I played Hanzo all day yesterday. I might have been pretending to be an eight year old who was too afraid to switch off. I'm not sure.

But he actually seemed pretty strong. Firing his scatter arrow into edge of a doorway while someone walks through is an easy kill. His Sonar arrows seem fairly useful and getting headshots in tight corridors lets him be a nightmare on maps with easy chokes like Lijiang. Not McCree by any measure, but I could see him filling a fairly similar role in a Comp lineup.

The downside is that no matter how well you do, your teammates will blame any failing on you. I had my whole team quit on me - literally 4 people - because I wouldn't switch when I was sitting on Gold Elims, Obj Kills, Objective Time, and Silver Damage. Ended up winning the next two points with a new team.

Oh for sure. I love playing Hanzo. I even use Hanzo primarily when attacking (if I use him at all) and have done really well. You are ALWAYS the first to be brunt for anger though. Some days you just want to be "one of the good ones" :(

DrArchon

I'll applaud any Hanzo that get's their ass on the point and keeps everyone off, but I still won't trust a random Hanzo on a KotH match just because it seems like 99% of them won't dare to set foot on the objective. It's infuriating. It sounds like you're one of the good ones at least.

I'll agree with everyone else that's said that Hanzo is much better as a mid-range fighter than a long-range sniper like Widow, even though he can snipe and the game calls him a sniper. He just can't compete with her hitscan headshots when it comes to sniping.

ElyrionX

So I've started checking out the profile of all the players I play with when solo queueing. None of them, literally none of them have a win-rate above 50%. Some of them are as low as 40%.

I solo queue most of the time and my win-rate fluctuates between 48 - 52%. But the only time it is steady above 50% is when I group up with other people.

I just got invited to a group and I know these guys group up regularly. Their win-rates are all above 50%, some of them even close to 60%.

Zarya is my most played at double the time of my 2nd most played, and yes I've seen a lot more recently.

Also, Double Zarya is a new favorite comp of mine, more so than picking another Tank like I used to. I stick with the other Zarya because I know that Zarya (if they understand the character) is going to be peeking out to exposure herself to gather damage for Energy every 10 or so seconds, and once her self Barrier goes down I will then Barrier her immediately for my own Energy, then peek out myself, and then they Barrier me, rinse and repeat and we both maintain High Energy.

It's hard a hell to break especially if our team has some flankers to annoy the team. Works well for Defense and Offense, but better for Offense I'd say.

Agreed. Double Zarya is such a nightmare to go up against. I've seen a Junkrat's ult go from a 100% chance of a quad-kill on the point to killing nobody because of "one for you, one for me" Zarya bubbles.

I was really impressed by the coordination. Of course, I was on the Junkrat's team at the time so I wasn't particularly happy about it...

Dragner

Dragner#2828 Im spanish and I dont talk much but I have over 55% winrate and Im over 70% with Lucio. If someone wants to add me feel free.

X-Frame

How long does Zarya's energy pool last? I've never played her and typically either deal with her as often as possible to avoid having randoms charge her on accident or I'm playing with a group where we can ignore her for the most part.

You mean how long does she maintain her boosted weapon energy? She will lose 2% Energy per second as long as she isn't converting damage. So if you see a High Energy Zarya who may have hit 100% Damage, then it would take 50 seconds for her to drop down to no Energy.

And her Barrier's have 200 HP and last for 2 seconds but have a shield gate to absorb massive burst damage.

Agreed. Double Zarya is such a nightmare to go up against. I've seen a Junkrat's ult go from a 100% chance of a quad-kill on the point to killing nobody because of "one for you, one for me" Zarya bubbles.

I was really impressed by the coordination. Of course, I was on the Junkrat's team at the time so I wasn't particularly happy about it...

Most Junkrat's are understand lot avoiding a Zarya because of that situation, so while I will try to purposely seek out the Tire to bait them, they'll likely jump over my or turn to a teammate now and hopefully I can see 1 person in time.

D.Va's Ult I enjoy the most as Zarya as that is always free Energy.

I'm now reminded yesterday when catching my friend hammering shielded Zarya multiple times with Rein's hammer I requested that he stop doing that because it was just powering her up and his rebuttal was "yeah but i'm taking the shield down faster", you know despite it only being up for 2 secs by default.
Grumble, grumble.

X-Frame

is a zarya bubble able to absorb infinite damage and is limited only by time?

Infinite damage only if it's a single burst (e.g. Junkrat Rip-Tire, D.Va Self-Destruct) but will get absolutely shredded by sustained damage like a Bastion in Sentry mode.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mission accomplished. Finally got a POTG as Symmetra. Before they showed it, someone said "great, another Bastion slamming the q button" but no, it was my Symm melting 4 ppl in a row. "Well that was unexpected." Love her.

Though it's a bit frustrating that she's nearly useless on attack, and on KOTH she's never used. Her win rate is artificially high for everyone because everyone always uses her on defense on certain maps which are easier to win on, especially in public matches. I'd like to see her alt fire get reworked to make it more viable. Someone on reddit suggested allowing her to get shield or health turrets, which would be awesome.

If someone types homophobic or racist abuse — or is just generally an unrepentant, aggressive asshole — you better believe I and everyone in my group is reporting them.

Communities should be self-policing.

Well, we are talking about someone who said "ez", which is pretty different than someone saying homophobic or racist comments.

Zemm

How do you get to level 100+ and still completely suck fucking ass at this game? I'm getting grouped with the absolute dumpster players today, it's insane.

benzopil

Some of these achievements/trophies for certain characters are whack.

For example, I was going for one of Winston's and wasn't sure why the trophy wasn't coming up until I had another look at the requirements.

Destroy 10 placeable things in a single life? Seriously?
If you play against defensive Symmetra on Temple of Anubis, you have this trophy. Just go to the left, destroy them and go back to spawn. Repeat until you have it.

Jintor

i should probably avoid feeding zarya charge then

i was doing pretty good as d.va today, playing her as an ultra-aggressive get-in-get-out character is real fun

benzopil

Played against 4 Torbs, 1 Rein and 1 Lucio on Hollywood map yesterday and somehow my team (i was solo queued) destroyed them on PS4. I was playing Zarya and had 99 energy all the time and spammed L2 until every turret and Torb were wiped out. When we started to move the payload, ALL of them switched and we eventually won anyway. I even recorded that lol, felt so good. Do we really need Torb nerf? :D

Jesus, just joined a game where the enemy team was all over level 200. I left before it started, can't handle whatever that was going to be first thing in the morning.

Sora_N

Mission accomplished. Finally got a POTG as Symmetra. Before they showed it, someone said "great, another Bastion slamming the q button" but no, it was my Symm melting 4 ppl in a row. "Well that was unexpected." Love her.

Though it's a bit frustrating that she's nearly useless on attack, and on KOTH she's never used. Her win rate is artificially high for everyone because everyone always uses her on defense on certain maps which are easier to win on, especially in public matches. I'd like to see her alt fire get reworked to make it more viable. Someone on reddit suggested allowing her to get shield or health turrets, which would be awesome.

Well, we are talking about someone who said "ez", which is pretty different than someone saying homophobic or racist comments.

I tried her on attack a few times and yeah I failed and just switched.

She's so fun on defense on some maps though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom