• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT3| White, White, Blue, White

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

For anyone curious, on console I switched Mercy's beam to Toggle and it seems to make things a lot easier to manage Heal and Damage

It is a bit awkward that even with toggle it doesn't seem to give me the option to disengage a beam from someone without running out of range or moving to someone else. I guess it's not the worst thing as I can't over heal or over damage-boost someone until someone else needs it.

But luckily you can easily click once to Heal someone then click Damage Boost to instantly swap to a Damage beam without first disengaging the Heal.

abundant

For anyone curious, on console I switched Mercy's beam to Toggle and it seems to make things a lot easier to manage Heal and Damage

It is a bit awkward that even with toggle it doesn't seem to give me the option to disengage a beam from someone without running out of range or moving to someone else. I guess it's not the worst thing as I can't over heal or over damage-boost someone until someone else needs it.

But luckily you can easily click once to Heal someone then click Damage Boost to instantly swap to a Damage beam without first disengaging the Heal.

It feels awkward at first, but you'll get used to it over time.

Vitanimus

wow bastion is the most boring hero

you basically sit in a spot and hope for the best. I remember the good days when I thought he was OP!

The card system is completely broken. 4 gold medals and 1 silver...70% enemies hooked.

Seriously? No one cared obviously.
Yeah, some heroes are routinely cheated on the cards by silly stats.

It's my feeling that if you get 3 or more golds, top eliminations, or are on fire for >50% of the game, those cards should trump hero-specific ones.

Pratfall

you basically sit in a spot and hope for the best. I remember the good days when I thought he was OP!

you can play an active bastion, anticipating counterpicks and shifting locations to catch the team offguard. but yeah, not the most dynamic hero.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yeah, some heroes are routinely cheated on the cards by silly stats.

It's my feeling that if you get 3 or more golds, top eliminations, or are on fire for >50% of the game, those cards should trump hero-specific ones.

I'm starting to learn that some hero-specific stats are telling. For example, if Pharah gets a card that says 100 direct rocket hits, then I know that Pharah was fucking shit up. 100 is a lot.

ramyeon

Got a POTG in one match and then 83% of the match on fire with gold in eliminations, objective eliminations and healing in another match with Zenyatta. Feels good, only started trying him out last night.

DrArchon

A good bastion will move between kills and try to cut off enemy advances, but other than that it's just pointing and shooting. Sometimes you move while shooting, sometimes you're a tank while shooting.

I wish he had another ability instead of his self-heal. His heal is a good ability, but it's so passive.

Zemm

The card system is completely broken. 4 gold medals and 1 silver...70% enemies hooked.

Seriously? No one cared obviously.

I was robbed yesterday. I started the match and within about 30 secs on Roadhog I was on fire which never fell off, had highest eliminations and damage done and didn't get shit. I honestly think I was on fire for 96% or 97% of the match, I wish I could see my personal stats at the end of the match to confirm these things.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Does POTG somewhat favor support heroes if they manage to kill 2-3 people in a row?

I often get that with Symmetra since it's pretty easy to kill a bunch of people grouped together while my beam weapon is strong, but I don't seem to get that when I do the same with other characters.

Sorral

I just got a thumbs up from an enemy Widow for switching from Pharah to Winston to counter and Pharah in an almost losing game at the beginning, which turned into a winning game even though they switched to Reaper, Soldier 76, and so on. I actually thought that he was going to send hate mail since I purposely teabagged to provoke him. lol

Also, the game seems to throw me against almost all one star players while having 1-2 only on my side. I know it is not an indication of MMR, but it definitely feels like everyone's skill level went up somewhat while still seeing dumb stuff like teammates standing next to a point while 1-2 enemies finish off capping it...

I tip the healers during post game votes. It's just for fun anyway I guess.

lol @ "tipping".

In reality, support players and difference makers should receive an actual tip in the form of extra XP when they are voted for on the post-game card screen. Make checking that box mean something.

Looks like XB1 patch notes leaked. It was posted on Blizzard forums for some minutes. Console players will wait until July 5th...

http://www.overpwn.com/blue-tracker/topic/8882-xb1-overwatch-patch-notes-july-5-2016

Can someone copy paste this? It's hitting my work filter.

lol @ "tipping".

In reality, support players and difference makers should receive an actual tip in the form of extra XP when they are voted for on the post-game card screen. Make checking that box mean something.

All that's going to do is have people vote for themselves every game. Though it may stop some rage quitters if they know they'll get a tiny bit more xp for just staying in the game for those last 20 seconds.

ViviOggi

They should remove rate match. Doesn't even do anything unless it's secretly marching you with probably better games

Soon and hook fixed in our so it'll come during the comp mode release at least for pc

I'm assuming that's autocorrect for PTR, if so good news wasn't aware of that

Now ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give PATCH

A good bastion will move between kills and try to cut off enemy advances, but other than that it's just pointing and shooting. Sometimes you move while shooting, sometimes you're a tank while shooting.

I wish he had another ability instead of his self-heal. His heal is a good ability, but it's so passive.
Yeah, during all the fuss over Bastion in the beta, it was hard to communicate that I didn't think he was OP, I just thought he was boring and the self-heal encouraged him to be boring. If he had to go hunt for health more, and he could do something else cool instead, I bet we'd see his popularity go up.

Apathy

I really hope one of the skin sets will be black tie, and have the cast in tuxedos and suits. Want to set junkrat and roadhog half assing their suits of choice and just putting on a jacket buy with no shirts and not even buttoned up and with top hats, or they do a matching suit like in dumb and dumber.

Yeah, during all the fuss over Bastion in the beta, it was hard to communicate that I didn't think he was OP, I just thought he was boring and the self-heal encouraged him to be boring. If he had to go hunt for health more, and he could do something else cool instead, I bet we'd see his popularity go up.

It was hilarious to me how completely useless he was during the first weekly brawl where all the cooldowns were reduced.

duckroll

Just had a string of shit games. I don't mind losing, but the worst thing is losing a game which you KNOW you could have won, if only people would listen and respond. Clear the entire objective area as Junkrat, watch as the rest of the team wanders around chasing other enemies instead of rushing together to capture the point? FML. :(

abundant

Can someone copy paste this? It's hitting my work filter.

[XB1] Overwatch Patch Notes – July 5, 2016

PATCH FEATURES

New Feature: Competitive Play
Overwatch is raising the bar for competitive players, giving them the perfect arena to sharpen their skills and hone their strategies. Introducing Competitive Play.

Competitive Play is designed for players who truly want to put their skills to the test, and offers a more serious experience than our Quick Play or Weekly Brawl! modes. To make sure everyone playing the mode has a solid understanding of the game’s mechanics, maps, and heroes, Competitive Play will be locked until you hit level 25.

Once you reach level 25, the mode will become available under the “Play” button in the main menu. Simply select "Competitive Play" from the submenu, and you’re ready to enter a match. You can join on your own or in a group, and Overwatch’s matchmaking system will automatically find the best game possible for your (or your group's) skill level.

Competitive Play is live right now! To learn more about this new feature, click here.
# 3 1 hour ago
Vaneras

GENERAL UPDATES

Gamepad Controls
Players can now swap the left and right sticks on a control pad
"Legacy" controls option has been added:
Left stick up/down moves forward/backward
Left stick left/right turns left/right
Right stick up/down aims up/down (these can be inverted)
Right stick left/right strafes left/right
Sticks can also be switched
Improved dead-zone controls, giving players increased accuracy during off-center and diagonal stick movement
Added an option to adjust Aim Assist strength (defaults to full strength)
Players can now configure the user interface display area (Go to Options > Video > Display Margin)

Miscellaneous
"Weapons" section added to the Hero Gallery
Added McCree as an AI hero in Practice vs. AI, Play vs. AI, and Custom Game modes
Disabled "Avoid This Player" functionality and removed option from the game UI

Developer Comments: The "Prefer"/"Avoid" player system was designed with the best intentions; however, it's not currently performing in a way that we feel is healthy for the game. While the "Prefer This Player" option is more or less working as intended (and is thus still enabled), the "Avoid This Player" option has impacted the matchmaker in negative way and led to some very poor player experiences across the board. Although we like the idea of being able to say "hey, I'd prefer not to play with this person," the implementation of the mechanic is not where it needs to be. We're still looking at ways to iterate and improve upon features that empower players to reduce toxicity and harassment in their games; we just want to be sure these features don't accidentally punish positive community members as a side-effect.
# 4 1 hour ago
Vaneras

HERO BALANCE CHANGES

McCree
Peacekeeper
Alternate Fire
Recovery time (i.e. the amount of time before McCree starts reloading) decreased from 0.75 seconds to 0.3 seconds
Bullet damage decreased from 70 to 45

Developer Comments: McCree was performing too well against all targets, making him feel like a must-pick in many situations. By reducing the damage of his alternate fire, McCree is now significantly weaker against tanks like Roadhog and Reinhardt, but still maintains his lethality against smaller targets like Tracer and Genji.

Widowmaker
Widow’s Kiss
Alternate Fire (Scoped Shot)
Base damage decreased from 15 to 12
Note: Scoped shot damage multiplier remains unchanged
Headshot damage multiplier increased from 2x to 2.5x
Players must now wait for the unscoping animation to completely finish before scoping

Infra-Sight
Ultimate cost increased by 10%
When activating Infra-Sight, Widowmaker's voice line will now be audible map-wide

Developer Comments: In the right hands, Widowmaker can often feel unstoppable—even when just landing body shots instead of critical heads shots. The changes to her alternate fire weaken body shot damage while leaving her headshot damage unchanged. Additionally, we felt her Ultimate ability, Infra-Sight, was coming up a little too frequently, especially considering its impact on the game.
# 5 1 hour ago
Vaneras

BUG FIXES

General
Fixed a bug preventing players from being able to leave as a group
Fixed a bug that would cause players’ weapons to auto-snap straight up or down when the crosshair was aimed between 85 and 90 degrees
Fixed a bug that caused players who backfilled and then completed a game to sometimes receive a loss on their Career Profile and not receive their XP bonus for backfilling
Fixed a bug that would move players toward the source of a knockback rather than away from it
Fixed a bug that caused Hearthstone-themed sprays to ignore localization
Fixed several framerate issues that could occur when cycling through the hero selection menu
Fixed a variety of issues with and made several improvements to ambient lighting
Made some improvements to how AI heroes respond to one another
Made a variety of performance and optimization improvements across the game

Maps
Players can no longer be resurrected in out-of-play areas on Ilios
Fixed an issue with collision on certain areas of Dorado not blocking line of sight

Heroes
Fixed a bug with the "Junkrat RIP-Tire Kills—Average" lifetime statistic
Fixed a bug that allowed Mercy to gain Ultimate charge whenever damage boosting an ally who was attacking a barrier or Ice Wall
Fixed a bug that allowed Reaper to Shadow Step to unintended locations on certain maps
Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause projectiles to hit Reinhardt instead of his Barrier Field
Fixed a bug that allowed Torbjörn to pick up Scrap while dead

Nothing like the abuse you get for playing widow on attack, "Oh we are losing, lets blame the widow being far more useful than any of us, cause we are on attack"

Amzin

Something to keep in mind with gold medals is that all they indicate is you were 1 point or more above the next best person on your team. You generally have to be far an above an outlier to get the callout for a generic statistic like damage dealt or eliminations, closer to 2x another person. I've only gotten damage cards for doing 30% or more of my teams' damage, and that's a LOT when you consider you're 16% or so of your team.

Apathy

Just had a string of shit games. I don't mind losing, but the worst thing is losing a game which you KNOW you could have won, if only people would listen and respond. Clear the entire objective area as Junkrat, watch as the rest of the team wanders around chasing other enemies instead of rushing together to capture the point? FML. :(

Every...time.

The amount if times I've cleared an erea either by riptire or by a suicide push, but I leave it clear for anyone in my team to just walk into it but they don't is too damn high.

Hell I can clear a point just by activating my ult, specially on koth maps. I do it and run it into a wall, the opposing team scatters, guess what team, you can run in and start capping and force them back in and make them take the riptire or they respect it and we can get almost a full cap. Either way it's win/win. But no, it's almost as if people don't know there are different voice lines for when your team uses an ult and when it's the opponents.

Grief.exe

Every...time.

The amount if times I've cleared an erea either by riptire or by a suicide push, but I leave it clear for anyone in my team to just walk into it but they don't is too damn high.

Hell I can clear a point just by activating my ult, specially on koth maps. I do it and run it into a wall, the opposing team scatters, guess what team, you can run in and start capping and force them back in and make them take the riptire or they respect it and we can get almost a full cap. Either way it's win/win. But no, it's almost as if people don't know there are different voice lines for when your team uses an ult and when it's the opponents.

The Overwatch community was a mistake, it's nothing but trash.

I'm assuming that's autocorrect for PTR, if so good news wasn't aware of that

Now ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give PATCH

yeah ptr lol.

i've not used PTR since a friend hasn't been able to get on so i'm living with the hook and roadhog ult issue (this is fixed in PTR and looks like it's fixed on xbox when comp drops)

M.J. Doja

Banned
Nothing like the abuse you get for playing widow on attack, "Oh we are losing, lets blame the widow being far more useful than any of us, cause we are on attack"

But generally having 1/6 of your players sitting back sniping when the point needs to be taken is frustrating. Being useful isn't just getting kills (especially with widow because of hitscan and wallhack), it takes getting asses on the point. Your abuse is valid in my eyes. It's just as abusive dealing with smug people who refuse to switch to a useful hero..

If you're killing it as sniper on offense and your team is still losing, consider yourself the problem.

If your team is dead and you're picking people off but not pushing the objective, you're still going to lose.

Widow is great crowd control but boy is it frustrating having her on a team for offense since most of the time they don't help push / capture.

A good Widow will help you with your push by being annoying to the other team, but I'd rather have a bad Reaper or S76 that's near the objective than a bad Widow far away.

You're probably just getting lumped in with all the bad Widows people have had to play with on Attack.

Lol did they just push the pc balance changes to consoles?

They must have seen the GAF thread lol.

If you're killing it as sniper on offense and your team is still losing, consider yourself the problem.

Nah. I've seen teams lose because everyone runs in one at a time all too often. The other team is more coordinated, etc. This is a team game, one person can't carry a whole team alone in most cases.

If Widow is keeping 3/6 of the team in spawn and playing well, it's up to others to take advantage of that. Sure you can switch off if your team is dumb, but you're doing your part in one way or another. Sometimes it's not worth the risk switching to a character you don't play as well, especially if your role is getting something done.

Now I'll often switch from Mercy to Pharah if my team ignores turrets. But if my team was in need of kills to get them to the point, I wouldn't complain if we had a solid Widow providing sniper support.

Apathy

I can't believe they are just now getting the mccree nerf. Also interesting to see the avoid player change, wonder if that'll make it to PC, cause I would not like that

I can't believe they pushed the Widow/McCree nerfs to consoles, when Widow is much less of a problem already and they've already said (I believe?) that they're going to look at McCree again.

Alavard

I can't believe they are just now getting the mccree nerf. Also interesting to see the avoid player change, wonder if that'll make it to PC, cause I would not like that

I think we are getting it (removal of avoid player that is). There was a story a few weeks back where there was a really good player was getting huge wait times on his games, and when Blizzard looked into it, it turned out that it was because he was so good, people didn't want to play against him and kept selecting to avoid him. Blizzard confirmed he wasn't doing anything wrong, and was just one of the top players in the world. So the feature was a little problematic and probably needs to be tweaked if it ever returns.

Edit - and apparently, it was already removed from PC, whoops, lol. I never used it, so didn't notice.

It will. The reason it was done is because one high MMR widow main on PC had too long queue times because too many with high MMR avoided him.

Mupod

But generally having 1/6 of your players sitting back sniping when the point needs to be taken is frustrating. Being useful isn't just getting kills (especially with widow because of hitscan and wallhack), it takes getting asses on the point. Your abuse is valid in my eyes. It's just as abusive dealing with smug people who refuse to switch to a useful hero..

there's more cases where I'd rather have an actually good sniper on our side on offense than someone running to a point and dying pointlessly to enemy turrets/snipers. An uncontested sniper is absolutely the best way to keep healers dead. You need to win the team fight to take the point and Widow has quite important roles there.

As for whether the person on the sniper class is doing their job, well, I find it hard to believe that the salty guy losing his shit in team chat has the big picture. For all you know the only reason you took the point is because that Widow was locking down the enemy sniper, killing turrets/pharah, or managed a clutch Mercy headshot. Also quite possible the sniper was doing jack shit and was in a dick waving contest with a Hanzo somewhere. But it's quick play, I just assume my teammates are doing nothing but walking forward and shooting whatever comes into view. I find that more likely to be a reason for a loss than 'wow we definitely would have took that point if we had one more person standing on it'

abundant

I can't believe they pushed the Widow/McCree nerfs to consoles, when Widow is much less of a problem already and they've already said (I believe?) that they're going to look at McCree again.

You have to remember that this patch was probably in the certification process before Blizzard realized that they may have screwed up on the McCree nerf.

They were just as big of a problem on console as PC. Yes, Widow is more of a problem on PC, but body shots from Widow are still a big problem on consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom