• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite thing when we lose a game in comp is when I make some suggestions as to what we could have done better to win and then just get yelled at and blamed for singularly losing the game. It's so hilarious and infuriating. Thankfully I have found a solution, I am turning off voice chat and text chat from now on in competitive. Probably won't play much past placements. All these glorious single player games are reminding me how nice it is to not be so into OW, even though I adore the game, the toxicity of the people really ruin it.

Also this patch is WHACKY. I feel like things were pretty nice two weeks ago...

LAM09

I have no idea why placements matches seem to have some level headed people, but they are nowhere to be found after that.

KillGore

Why does Reinhardt's dash and Roadhog's hook take bastion out of sentry mode but Winstons ult and Lucio's boop doesn't? That doesn't make sense wtf

Edit: Does Zarya's ult take him out of sentry mode?

Why does Reinhardt's dash and Roadhog's hook take bastion out of sentry mode but Winstons ult and Lucio's boop doesn't? That doesn't make sense wtf

Don't remember the answer to the second part, but to answer your first question, the latter two examples were cases of knockback, the former two are of completely moving the enemy's position.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Stuns vs not stuns.

I think a more interesting change for bastion is to make his heal a finite resource instead of a recharging one.

Satch

Banned
I just started playig again after like two weeks

Anybody want to explain why bastion is allowed to not fucking die lol

Blu(e)

rdNTUWd.jpg

DT8Svd5.jpg

Ended up 3-5-2 in placements and placed at 1955, about 200 points lower than my end-of-season SR. I thought it was going to be a lot lower considering I had a winning record in placements last season and dropped 300-400 points. I ended up with a really good group for my last bunch of games. We only won half of our games but there was zero toxicity and good communication.

Veelk

Banned
I still wish they'd experiment with how a Reinhardt with a 1000 HP shield would work. I understand that he is always going to be a useful hero because he fulfills a special role, but cutting down on Lucio's healing and speedboost did a lot to make alternative options for team comp viable. Why shouldn't it work the same with Reinhardt?

chur

Went 8-2 in my placement matches. Got to 3280. When I started my placements I expected to be platinum.

Also fuck Bastion. Not because I think he's OP, but because others are so sure he is. Enemy and allied Bastion were getting shut down left and right, but people didn't switch until late in the match.

Antiwhippy

Hmm yeah, from what I've seen bastion v bastion is pointless because the defending bastion holds the advantage near constantly.

Skii

I still wish they'd experiment with how a Reinhardt with a 1000 HP shield would work. I understand that he is always going to be a useful hero because he fulfills a special role, but cutting down on Lucio's healing and speedboost did a lot to make alternative options for team comp viable. Why shouldn't it work the same with Reinhardt?

Reinhardt with 1000HP shield is absolutely awful. Would completely kill him.

maomaoIYP

If I ranked ok on S1 and bad on S2 but haven't played S3, how much will that matter if I were to do my placement matches in S4?

I honestly mostly avoid Comp because it isn't for me.. but I want to be good, and I felt like pushing in S2 helped me a little.

How much am I weighed down by my old ranks (but haven't played S3) even if I do decently during S4 placements? Should I just get another account?

I would assume that the system has you already pegged to a skill level which would translate to a SR value in whatever season of comp. You could go 10-0 for placements but if your skill level is only gold tier you are not going to place in master tier, for example. And getting a new account probably will not help unless you have drastically improved since your last comp experience.

KanameYuuki

I'm surprised some people were angry about the changes to Roadhog, if anything I think they are killing me more often with just normal shots with that spread.

Skii

I'm surprised some people were angry about the changes to Roadhog, if anything I think they are killing me more often with just normal shots with that spread.

I haven't seen anyone that's angry. The changes were actually a pretty decent buff to Roadhog overall.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Of course I get the crazy person who loses their mind mid match(literally) then switches Widow, rages and takes himself out of team voice.

You ever get a team that has the raw ability to kill shit but are just straight dumbasses for positioning and strategy? Lord.

I love this game but sometimes it's a huge bummer. The fact that you can do everything right for most of the match, fight neck and neck but then have everything go to shit because one teammate is out of position, a flanker is unaccounted for, a rez mercy is in hiding, etc, right as you are on victory's door feels so wack.

I get I can't really bitch because it could have just have easily happened to the opposing team but in general it's a huge pain when you see obvious shit that should be accounted for cost you the game. Count the opposing team/help your support with flankers/stay close to the team in smart positions, holy shit.

Oh well, at least it was a net boost today even if the losses where matches we could have had.

Morlas

I feel like dva is really good against bastion right now, she prevents a lot of his damage and he doesn't kill her nearly as quickly as he used to, and when she's out of mech she can poke him from far away and make him waste his heal or move.

Ayumi

I would assume that the system has you already pegged to a skill level which would translate to a SR value in whatever season of comp. You could go 10-0 for placements but if your skill level is only gold tier you are not going to place in master tier, for example. And getting a new account probably will not help unless you have drastically improved since your last comp experience.
Thanks for replying! I feel too demotivated to play comp I think, but I might do a few placements matches slowly to see how it goes.

Gorillaz

no one really knows what to do in comp right now

lol and we had the game at its best place
just finished a game where we were getting rolled on attack and a guy with torb was getting tilted because we had tanks on defend on 66 while they had rein and bastion

these dudes in comp are lost in the sauce friend

it was all good a week ago.....
Horizon's release really is the saving grace for me right now too

aeolist

Banned
lucio was nerfed but still viable

that would just remove rein from the game entirely

DevilDog

I haven't seen anyone that's angry. The changes were actually a pretty decent buff to Roadhog overall.

Blizzard just keeps stealth buffing him all the time.

I now finally see what people mean by Blizzard Balance™.

Completely out of touch.

hypernima

Banned
I had a game with Moon and Pooh where we had Bastion/Torb/Symmetra/Rein/Mercy/Hog.

I couldn't kill the Bastion for the life of me lol. I don't even know if a Dive comp would be viable in that situation.

Antiwhippy

I had a game with Moon and Pooh where we had Bastion/Torb/Symmetra/Rein/Mercy/Hog.

I couldn't kill the Bastion for the life of me lol. I don't even know if a Dive comp would be viable in that situation.

That's what people have been doing again bastion, but by dive I mean genji+tracer+pharah+soldier/mccree/widow.

Blu(e)

I can't tell if this is supposed to be praise or insults

I worked my ass off that game. So I hope it was praise.

When you play weird off picks you have to try so hard to keep your slot. I can switch to playing a McCree and kill two people and no one would bat an eye, but if we lost a round as I play Sombra or Widow, It's my fault. Easy scapegoat I guess.

Veelk

Banned
Reinhardt with 1000HP shield is absolutely awful. Would completely kill him.

lucio was nerfed but still viable

that would just remove rein from the game entirely

I'd be willing to try it. I mean, even if that's true, I'd like to try out a meta that Reinhardt doesn't have a place in, since he feels like a foundation stone to the one we have right now. Worst case scenerio, they just bring it back up in the next patch.

But I nevertheless disagree. His shield is the ultimate clutch. It's a humongous blue rectangle that blokes extreme amounts of damage while letting your team shoot through it. It can block several ultimates and save teams. And most importantly, like Lucio's speedboost, there is nothing remotely like it in the rest of the game. I would totally think that Reinhardt would still be viable, but teams would ahve to be smarter about using his shield. As a much more limited resource, teams would need to learn to maximize the protection it offers for other stuff, and Reinhardts themselves may have to learn to save it for truly necessary events like if they see a big D.Va ult coming.

That's what I think anyway. I think this way because when D.Va got nerfed, I thought she was just plain fucked. But no, she's actually still really good, you just need to play smarter (which actually made her more enjoyable to play for me). I want Reinhardt to still be good, he's not a hero I hate like Soldier, but maybe have to think more critically than he currently does about how to utilize his shield. But if that's all wrong, then whats the worst that could happen? They patch it back in next time. If Blizzard is willing to make extreme alterations like giving Zenny a 50% discord to before figuring out what his real sweet spot is for that ability, or making bastion onto the Omnic terror he is now, I don't see whats wrong with just trying it.

Had gold elims and damage as Bastion but my entire team is yelling at me to get off the character and that it's "not working" while they mass feed over and over. Makes me want to scream.

aeolist

Banned
I'd be willing to try it. I mean, even if that's true, I'd like to try out a meta that Reinhardt doesn't have a place in, since he feels like a foundation stone to the one we have right now. Worst case scenerio, they just bring it back up in the next patch.

But I nevertheless disagree. His shield is the ultimate clutch. It's a humongous blue rectangle that blokes extreme amounts of damage while letting your team shoot through it. It can block several ultimates and save teams. And most importantly, like Lucio's speedboost, there is nothing remotely like it in the rest of the game. I would totally think that Reinhardt would still be viable, but teams would ahve to be smarter about using his shield. As a much more limited resource, teams would need to learn to maximize the protection it offers for other stuff, and Reinhardts themselves may have to learn to save it for truly necessary events like if they see a big D.Va ult coming.

That's what I think anyway. I think this way because when D.Va got nerfed, I thought she was just plain fucked. But no, she's actually still really good, you just need to play smarter (which actually made her more enjoyable to play for me). I want Reinhardt to still be good, he's not a hero I hate like Soldier, but maybe have to think more critically than he currently does about how to utilize his shield. But if that's all wrong, then whats the worst that could happen? They patch it back in next time. If Blizzard is willing to make extreme alterations like giving Zenny a 50% discord to before figuring out what his real sweet spot is for that ability, or making bastion onto the Omnic terror he is now, I don't see whats wrong with just trying it.
kicking rein out of the meta would cause some cancerous shit. first and foremost hog would run wild over everyone.

LiK

Forgot there was another update on PS4. Preparing slow as fuck

I assume people here have completed their placements. Gonna solo q then.

Forgot there was another update on PS4. Preparing slow as fuck

I assume people here have completed their placements. Gonna solo q then.

Any idea what this patch is for? I had a game where I wasn't able to self-heal as Bastion but I'm sure that would have been more widely reported if it was a bug.

I solo Q'd my first two and we lost due to leavers both times. I'm done for tonight but hit me up on PSN (same name) and I'd be glad to queue through placements.

LiK

Any idea what this patch is for? I had a game where I wasn't able to self-heal as Bastion but I'm sure that would have been more widely reported if it was a bug.

I assume fix the bugs in CTF. It sounded like it was completely broken.

FYI, I don't use mic. Not even for Comp.

I don't understand the bastion problems. I have yet to see a bastion dominant a game. Good communication and a good comp can take care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom