• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

hypernima

Banned
Where did you hear it pronounced Oh-ri-sha? Because if it's from Jeff, he mispronounces a lot of names.

I'm going purely on the assumption that because Efi Oladele (a Yoruba) made it that would be the right pronounciation.

Orisa is a catch all name for the old gods of Yoruba mythology, there's a accent mark on the s that indicates a h sound after. Not really a big deal but just a thing I point out since im semi fluent in Yoruba.

edit: listening to the video now ill just take what i can get lol

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If Orisa and Bastion are big this season then I think Hanzo will be too.

He's the closest I've found so far at having consistent luck dealing with both of them

Apathy

As a Lucio main:

Yes! Zarya will be less annoying.

Boo-urns towards the new character.

Nothing is changing for you. Knockbacks that pierce the bubble are the ones that are going to be affecting her not boops/pharah rockets

I feel like placements are a cruel joke with me. Currently 1-5-1 (on Xbone) and I don't know why. I'll admit I make mistakes sometimes and some losses in S3 were definitely my fault. That said, I feel like I've been playing out of my mind these games and yet I can't win.

I had one game on Nepal where our Sombra didn't do anything. No good hacks, no ults, no damage. They refused to switch while everyone else on my team tried their best to better the situation but nothing worked.

I'm afraid I'll have to battle my way into Diamond again and I'm super nervous about my remaining 3 games.

Placement wins/losses don't matter (or if they do very very little but from what people say they don't). Individual performance is what matters.

Pooya

that looks great to me, screw all the control non sense. the game was getting so unfun with all the stun lock garbage.

ISOM

i mean she has an ability that makes you lose control as well

And her's might be the worst in the game lol. She can get you off of upper ground. She can pull you out of doorways and she can drop you in a pit. It is quite ridiculous when you think about it. There will be a lot of salt once this goes live.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Hanjo is our hero in these trying omnic times
And her's might be the worst in the game lol. She can get you off of upper ground. She can pull you out of doorways and she can drop you in a pit. It is quite ridiculous when you think about it. There will be a lot of salt once this goes live.

It's a way safer boop. Kind of insane that its on a short cd

Placement wins/losses don't matter (or if they do very very little but from what people say they don't). Individual performance is what matters.
See, that's what I thought but sometimes you start freaking yourself out a bit, you know? Going by win/loss ratio, this is by far my worst series of placements, but I feel like some of my best in terms of my own skill. Thanks though, it helps.

Veelk

Banned
Yes she does. Also, Its nice her shield doesnt wear off before the cd is back up. I was thinking itd be like Winston bubble

Also, Ster's playing Orisa on the PTR right now

Does it?

In that case, Winston flat out deserves a buff for it to do the same. It makes little sense that a shield with less HP and smaller life time has more limitations on it rather than less.

Grief.exe

I want to watch a really good player play Orisa because I'm having trouble visualizing how she will work from moment to moment right now.

Bastion feels better but still strong. I feel like it's too easy to run around healing yourself while people fail miserably to 1v1 you. I think where they really went wrong is allowing him to heal while moving. I think being his heal not being interrupted by damage was enough.

Pretty worried about Orisa, even just running around practice range.

All the other heroes that can deploy a barrier have much shorter effective range: Reinhardt's hammer, Winston's lightning, Symmetra's evil. Even Zarya's range is reasonably short and her DPS is variable.

Orisa can just throw 900HP in front of her and hold down a pretty decent LMB. Plus she has 400HP (200 armor) and can turn off 50% of damage and all CC.

That's... intense.

Pooya

I played her for a bit, damn, it feels so different. I feel it will change the game a LOT. It will challenge Rein's spot for one with that amazing kit. You pretty much need Bastion to be as good as it is now though, people complain about it now but it's necessary, it will be fine after she's live.

Not gameplay related, I feel they could make her feel more like a mech when playing by adding some more weighty effects, it feels somewhat floaty to be a giant mech.

ISOM

I played her for a bit, damn, it feels so different. I feel it will change the game a LOT. It will challenge Rein's spot for one with that amazing kit. You pretty much need Bastion to be as good as it is now though, people complain about it now but it's necessary, it will be fine after she's live.

She also makes Bastion harder to take out though. Put a 900hp shield in front of him and hello new meta.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
You don't have to actually stay with Bastion though.

But you're still talking about a much weaker shield.

And if you devote it to protect bastion for a really short time you're not really protecting anyone else that isn't devoted to the bastion.

Dive comps don't care about shields anyway. Especially not 900 hp shields. That mini graviton though is going to fuck with dive comps.

ISOM

But you're still talking about a much weaker shield.

And if you devote it to protect bastion for a really short time you're not really protecting anyone else that isn't devoted to the bastion.

Dive comps don't care about shields anyway. Especially not 900 hp shields.

Not every comp will be a dive comp so it certainly creates a new wrinkle with going after him.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
whynotboth.gif

I dunno, depends on what you're trading out at that point. Her DPS does not seem insane enough to become basically a DPS tank like Zarya or Roadhog.

Not every comp will be a dive comp so it certainly creates a new wrinkle with going after him.

I'm saying that if 900HP shield is a criteria of making bastion comps better a dive comp negates it.

Veelk

Banned
She also makes Bastion harder to take out though. Put a 900hp shield in front of him and hello new meta.

As opposed to the 2000HP shield

whynotboth.gif

I haven't had comp games in the 'bastion' meta yet, but it does feel like just putting as any barriers around bastion as possible will be a super effective strategy. You'll need to manuever around the barriers since just gunning them down feels like it's getting more and more impractical, and there are only a few abilities that can take Bastion out of his sentry mode.

I wonder if the next hero will have abilites that can go through barriers.

komaruR

reaper is back boys, if a good orisa can use the shield effectively and aid reaper with alt fire, it can really turn into an aggressive attacking combo\
with the shield deploy up ahead right at the enemy, reaper can weave in and out of shield and with orisa alt fire to graviton, reaper dps'ing is back!

anyone in ptr testing out stuff too?

Well I'm doing alright on my placement matches. Just won 4 in a row.

Also, do you have to play seven games a week to keep your ranking from going down?

Because that's actually kind of a time commitment.

ISOM

I dunno, depends on what you're trading out at that point. Her DPS does not seem insane enough to become basically a DPS tank like Zarya or Roadhog.

I'm saying that if 900HP shield is a criteria of making bastion comps better a dive comp negates it.

Dive comp always negated Bastion but it is no doubt that the shield will give him better survivability and that is scary no matter what.

Played with an Orisa + Symmetra team.

Holy smokes shield hopscotch. Symmetra shoots her barrier and team pushes behind hit, just as it dies Orisa plops her's down to hold the spot as well as the Symmetra plopping turrets behind the shield for added firepower. When Sym's shield is back she shoots it and the push continues.

Sure it's still early but it's interesting how some people are trying things.

Pooya

Holy smokes shield hopscotch. Symmetra shoots her barrier and team pushes behind hit, just as it dies Orisa plops her's down to hold the spot as well as the Symmetra plopping turrets behind the shield for added firepower. When Sym's shield is back she shoots it and the push continues.

you can do some Testudo formation shenanigans now, it's so fun.

Apathy

12 per shot and 12 rps with the ability to get headshots is not really insignificant. Anyone with good aim and that can lead bullets on moving targets is going to make her really strong. On the other hand, zen against her melts her

komaruR

basically orisa can aid CC atk push

Veelk

Banned
You know, it'd be pretty cool if Doomfist was an evil rage version of Winston.

We know that Winston's father, Dr. Harold Winston, was killed by the other intelligent gorilla's who'd been experimented on on the moon (man, sometimes you forget how absurd OW's story can be until you say it out loud). Winston had a rocket and escaped to earth. As far as we know, the gorilla's who lead the coup are still up there. What have they been doing?

Now we have no idea who current Doomfist is, but the poster in Numbani implies that the unrevealed wielder of Doomfist, "The Successor", is human. But we do know that he randomly attacked the airport, which implies that he's a Villain rather than a Hero. So as the Gorilla's on the Moon (awesome band name right here) are one of the few villain factions we know exist but haven't entered the story yet, it'd be cool to see them reappear.

And idk, given Winston's ultimate is to get enraged and start smashing things, it might be cool and a little scary to have an intelligent gorilla with no moral compunctions to control his anger get a hold of technology that helps him smash things even more.

That, and I kind of want another animal hero now that we got another robot.

Grief.exe

Orisa is going to make the Bastion meta worse

giphy.gif

You know, it'd be pretty cool if Doomfist was an evil rage version of Winston.

We know that Winston's father, Dr. Harold Winston, was killed by the other intelligent gorilla's who'd been experimented on on the moon (man, sometimes you forget how absurd OW's story can be until you say it out loud). Winston had a rocket and escaped to earth. As far as we know, the gorilla's who lead the coup are still up there. What have they been doing?

Now we have no idea who current Doomfist is, but the poster in Numbani implies that the unrevealed wielder of Doomfist, "The Successor", is human. But we do know that he randomly attacked the airport, which implies that he's a Villain rather than a Hero. So as the Gorilla's on the Moon (awesome band name right here) are one of the few villain factions we know exist but haven't entered the story yet, it'd be cool to see them reappear.

And idk, given Winston's ultimate is to get enraged and start smashing things, it might be cool and a little scary to have an intelligent gorilla with no moral compunctions to control his anger get a hold of technology that helps him smash things even more.

That, and I kind of want another animal hero now that we got another robot.

I feel like having the newest iteration on a line of African super types voiced by a black man be a gorilla would go over extremely poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom