• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitanimus

Wrong video.

d, yoko kanno's power
oexTA6a.gif

Azoor

Contemplating making a smurf account just to fuck around and experiment more, most likely it'll be on a different computer too.

Soiks

There seem to be so many salty people in Comp already this season. Last night when my team went 1-0 down in KOTH our Soldier decided to throw himself off the map repeatedly and when the other team got 2 points, he switched to Mei and just sat at spawn walling people in.

I can almost understand if it's late in the season and people fail to hit the next tier and slide, but so early on is just weird. Not played much this season anyway but I'm not really feeling the pull to play again anytime soon thanks to this kind of thing.

Anyone else encounter this sort of thing?

NeoRaider

If your nade had landed instead of hitting whoever that was in the way you might have.

It actually did. Look better.
I healed my Rein and stopped both their Rein and Soldier from healing. It happened before the moment their Winston appeared in front of me.

Edit: Actually didn't heal my Rein with nade, but with rifle only. I was aiming for their Rein and Soldier and it's visible.

I made a post about this guy who came from console and switched to PC (Arikadou)... man is his progress is impressive. He had a previous video where he made it to diamond and the season ended shortly after he got a few diamond games in. So far, he made it to masters so far this season, I have no doubts he'll make it at least to GM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H1GPsYMSc8

AbaFadi

Banned
I made a post about this guy who came from console and switched to PC (Arikadou)... man is his progress is impressive. He had a previous video where he made it to diamond and the season ended shortly after he got a few diamond games in. So far, he made it to masters so far this season, I have no doubts he'll make it at least to GM.

Someone I know from ps4 switched to pc last season and is already one of the top players on there.

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/KSlims-1622

Musings on Rein:

Going to try to use Rein shield purely to position teammates instead of just focusing on blocking damage. I think if one can master that, they can reach gm in this game no problem. Any idiot can learn to use/fight with Rein shield. But very few know how to utilize it to position teammates and set up their team to where they can fight without relying on it in a fight.

In a straight up fight wherein one team has to rely on Rein shield while the other can succeed without it, the team without should win straight up. Their rein's shield will be healthier if they need it, and in the mean while they will be safer and be able to avoid many of the big cc ults that typically turn fights.

I believe this reliance on fighting using Rein shield instead of learning how to fight without it and using it to position teammates instead was my major hang up in S3 and the reason I couldn't break the 3750 threshold

Ambient80

This is the PTR game I was talking about. One thing I noticed was the intention behind Orisa's shield shape + ult means you really have to awkward angle yourself to destroy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HaQv5Ak75I

I need to start placing my translocator like you do before engaging. I've developed a bad habit of trying to use it while in battle to get away and it gets me in trouble if it bounces into a wall or something.

Also we are similar in that we never miss a chance for a "Hello!" Lol

LiK

DSPStanky is the king of going from console to PC. Dude is a Lucio GM on both, iirc.

Alot of players here who went from console to PC actually do better cuz you were already handicapped on console and PC makes aiming easier. PC players who think console players can't make it are just fooling themselves.

Jellie

It actually did. Look better.
I healed my Rein and stopped both their Rein and Soldier from healing. It happened before the moment their Winston appeared in front of me.

Edit: Actually didn't heal my Rein with nade, but with rifle only. I was aiming for their Rein and Soldier and it's visible.

Oh right weird camera angle. Thought those kills were from you hitting them with your gun somewhere and the nade might have done enough damage but the damage came from the nade only. Probably needed more damage. Junkrat triple is usually 3 full kills so you need more damage ontop of the assists.

Ana PotG will get even more rare now. Was really close though. Was looking at my last Ana PotG (a month ago now RIP) and was pretty similar. 3 kills, nano'd somebody and some healing.
DSPStanky is the king of going from console to PC. Dude is a Lucio GM on both, iirc.

Alot of players here who went from console to PC actually do better cuz you were already handicapped on console and PC makes aiming easier. PC players who think console players can't make it are just fooling themselves.

Meanwhile me who only just finally managed to get like 10SR higher than my PS4 rank after 1.5 seasons of PC play. From just outside top 500 in S1 and the start of S2 to 3441 :(
EDIT: Scratch that I just checked and my career high is stil higher on PS4 than PC damn

randome

Do you guys think using Rein is actually fun? It usually devolves into me just standing there guarding an opening and occasionally pinning someone. But sometimes i'll see a really good Rein and it makes me wanna learn him better.

NeoRaider

Oh right weird camera angle. Thought those kills were from you hitting them with your gun somewhere and the nade might have done enough damage but the damage came from the nade only. Probably needed more damage. Junkrat triple is usually 3 full kills so you need more damage ontop of the assists.

Ana PotG will get even more rare now. Was really close though. Was looking at my last Ana PotG (a month ago now RIP) and was pretty similar. 3 kills, nano'd somebody and some healing.

Meanwhile me who only just finally managed to get like 10SR higher than my PS4 rank after 1.5 seasons of PC play. From just outside top 500 in S1 and the start of S2 to 3441 :(

Yeah this was really well done.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that i care about POTGs so much. But i feel like i already deserved few with Ana but never got them. And it's kinda frustrating and doesn't look fair at all tbh.

Someone I know from ps4 switched to pc last season and is already one of the top players on there.

I'm very aware who he is, his Zarya video way back in the day impressed me! Unfortunately, he's never really posted videos for some odd reason (at least for OW), great player for sure. Awesome he found success on PC, his McCree was ridiculous on console.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=208513617&highlight=zarya#post208513617

As much as I like DSPStanky, and modeled my Lucio play closer to his (I'm not as aggressive), I think some of these other players are more impressive (kslims/Arikadou) because of their versatility with other characters. DSPStanky was a one-trick on console and continued that same path on PC, but I'll admit that because he was so dedicated to the character, he REVOLUTIONIZED the way Lucio is played.

Do you guys think using Rein is actually fun? It usually devolves into me just standing there guarding an opening and occasionally pinning someone. But sometimes i'll see a really good Rein and it makes me wanna learn him better.

it is fun for me to figure out where I am weakest. Working and seeing that improvement is immensely satisfying. And the fact that you can have moments where you realize you were almost playing the character wrong with how you were limiting yourself and your options is something amazing when you finally start to have them.

Playing rein on a basic level is boring. But playing him for self-improvement is almost nirvana.

Vitanimus

I need to start placing my translocator like you do before engaging. I've developed a bad habit of trying to use it while in battle to get away and it gets me in trouble if it bounces into a wall or something.

Also we are similar in that we never miss a chance for a "Hello!" Lol

I definitely think if you're on attack or defence makes a big difference in how I play Sombra. If I'm on the offense, I usually don't camp health packs as much and focus on just generally being a distraction and then translocating away; if I'm defense, I camp a lot more and focus on getting my ult and picking their supports when I can. :)

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Did my comp, went 5-4-1. Got placed 200 lower than where I left off. /Shrug.

Some great games, some poor ones. Last game was a stinker with the typical group, who aren't particularly good. They blamed our Pharah for losing, when it's clear it was just those three doing their own thing. Another useless soldier who doesn't pay attention, tank that goes the same route every time, and a healer who only heals one person.

I do feel like I'm doing a bit better though. Even with the games we lost, we held out the longest while I was up, even if the others died. They weren't able to get the point as long as I was still going. Getting better at moving around the map too. Knowing when to flank, etc. Even felt my Rein was doing pretty well too one game, but they refused to switch from Genji and Sombra. So the other team eventually just outranged our team.

LiK

As much as I like DSPStanky, and modeled my Lucio play closer to his (I'm not as aggressive), I think some of these other players are more impressive (kslims/Arikadou) because of their versatility with other characters. DSPStanky was a one-trick on console and continued that same path on PC, but I'll admit that because he was so dedicated to the character, he REVOLUTIONIZED the way Lucio is played.

Yea, he's a Lucio main through and through.

I do hate that I've seen a lot of Lucios copy him and do a pretty poor job. I've noticed that people like to use his speedboost method a lot but forget to actually heal people. Seen it way too many times. They're all trying to be fancy and shit. I like to switch between them as well but only when I see everyone has been topped off with heals. People need to remmeber to play Lucio more intelligently based on what's going on instead of just going nuts with speed/heal constantly as if they're a pro or something. Annoys me.

Fugu

I guess nothing will change mercys from holding off pressing Q :///
I have tried explaining to people to imagine the importance of a pick and what it means to have a one-man advantage most of the time. Like if the other team burns an ult and only kills one person, that's often a great time to use a res so long as the team's position is alright.

At the same time, a lot of non-Mercy players (and, indeed, some Mercy players) seem to lack the experience of knowing when a res is just going to result in a double wipe. I'd say the bigger problem is overall is that everyone thinks they know how to play as Mercy, but not too many people actually do.

LiK

Did he really?

I mean, his vids are cool and all, but im sure there are better lucio players at pro level.

He's certainly one of the most well known out there. I would say he's as influential as Kephrii is with Widow.

I don't have any opinions with Korean players tho cuz I don't really watch those videos/tourneys.

komaruR

I saw that with smurfs with Gaffers. A level 8 Widow was destroying us. Probably using a smurf account and a mouse so they don't care if they get caught. She literally destroyed the entire team over and over.
I killed that widow a couple of times I think. Don't remeber if i got killed by her or not, so I dont recall how that widow shoots. its still within my vod. but yea i do notice that widow getting alot of kills on the killfeed. I was thinking, we are playing against bunch of smurf on the other team too. The first game we had, i was initially worry that we might be bullying low mmr people or lowbies but i guess mmr is working to it's finest to sort out smurfs?

I know another guy called cloud of collosus that went pc from ps4 just that sat before s4 started. he haven't touch fps on pc since the old cs days I heard.
he was placed at low gold and worked his way up to high masters this past weekend (~1 week). sadly yesterday he got tilted back to diamond.
he mainly plays rein, ana, hog, lucio, genji. He'll flex to what ever the team needs. his aim was bad at the beginning but he's slowly getting more accurate.

Rein is fun if you have a team worth shielding for. It's no fun if the team gives no F about you and run off on their own to try flank to no avail. Making you a solo rein that no one would be afraid of.

Anne

There are better Lucios out there, but DSPStanky introduced a lot of techniques that people perfected and are vital to the character. I wouldn't say revolutionized, but he is def a large contributor and should at least be credited for popularizing some of the tech.

Time for me to continue being mad elitist, but I don't think anybody that solely relies on one tricks to maintain SR are good Overwatch players. They are good at those characters for sure, but the way Overwatch works means at some point they'll just be a liability unless they have back up plans. The saving grace for a lot of OTP players is either they A) picked a character that is busted and never a liability or B) have dynamic queue to fall back on.

(AFAIK DSPStanky has other chars he's actually good at and is good though. Just the subject of OTP players has been touchy lately in other places.)

LiK

I killed that widow a couple of times I think. Don't remeber if i got killed by her or not, so I dont recall how that widow shoots. its still within my vod. but yea i do notice that widow getting alot of kills on the killfeed. I was thinking, we are playing against bunch of smurf on the other team too. The first game we had, i was initially worry that we might be bullying low mmr people or lowbies but i guess mmr is working to it's finest to sort out smurfs?

That's what I think. We just ended up against a bunch of other smurfs which was kinda infuriating cuz we had real newbie randoms on our team and they couldn't deal with them. I'm not gonna play with smurf accounts anymore, tbh, lol

There are better Lucios out there, but DSPStanky introduced a lot of techniques that people perfected and are vital to the character. I wouldn't say revolutionized, but he is def a large contributor and should at least be credited for popularizing some of the tech.

Time for me to continue being mad elitist, but I don't think anybody that solely relies on one tricks to maintain SR are good Overwatch players. They are good at those characters for sure, but the way Overwatch works means at some point they'll just be a liability unless they have back up plans. The saving grace for a lot of OTP players is either they A) picked a character that is busted and never a liability or B) have dynamic queue to fall back on.

(AFAIK DSPStanky has other chars he's actually good at and is good though. Just the subject of OTP players has been touchy lately in other places.)

Yeah. And to go off of that, if you are on console and main a role (generally slightly more acceptable) and you aren't comfortable working on other roles at your level, make a smurf and work in other roles as well. Although I am a tank main with fairly reliable supports, I made a solo queue dps account to ensure I at least have some dps at my disposal if needed. As Anne said, making sure your pool includes at least 2 chars in each category that you can play at your level is a massive benefit, and assuredly a necessity at higher levels

Paltheos

I'm warming up to Symmetra on Anubis B defense. I mean, I was always warm to it, but it's reached the point where I'm trying to cancer it up as much as possible. I almost never lose it anymore. This is what I do:

Shield Generator behind the point, of course. One (and only one most of the time) turret with the generator itself. The rest I spread on or near the point, depending on the enemy team loadout. I always put turrets 2 and 3 on the pillars adjacent to the point and the front entrance. Turrets 4 and 5 I put on the far ends of the point, one by the bricks near the stairs up from the ravine. and the other on the pillar by the right entrance.

The last turret's position varies depending on the enemy loadout. If they have a Tracer, I'm usually placing it on the pillar in the dark, right entrance. (this is usually where they attack from, although my general procedure as Sym on this map is to just eye all the entrances while shooting out shields and orbs down main) The idea here is to detect Tracer early and together with the other turret directly by the entrance, stop her from just triple blinking in and Pulse Bombing the generator. For any other loadout, I usually place a second turret with the generator to help protect it in a scramble if the enemy team should happen to make a clean break in.

I keep the general location of all these turrets the same most of the time but I usually slightly vary their height and orientation so enemies need an extra, split second to locate them. It's really awful for the attacking team.

AbaFadi

Banned
I know another guy called cloud of collosus that went pc from ps4 just that sat before s4 started. he haven't touch fps on pc since the old cs days I heard.
he was placed at low gold and worked his way up to high masters this past weekend (~1 week). sadly yesterday he got tilted back to diamond.
he mainly plays rein, ana, hog, lucio, genji. He'll flex to what ever the team needs. his aim was bad at the beginning but he's slowly getting more accurate.

Yeah I played with him a lot on ps4. I played pc for like 30 hours last season. Placed in diamond at 3044 and reached masters at 3834 before I stopped playing. I just don't have the time anymore to play on two platforms and when I do have time to play, I'd rather just play with friends on ps4 than solo on pc. Two of my friends will be building a pc by the end of the month so I'll probably go pc full-time after that.

How would one go about making a Smurf on pc? Would I have to buy the game again?
Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. I didn't want to be a liability to others as I worked my way up, and qp is impossible for real practice, so I bit the bullet over the holidays when it went on sale.

ohkay

I got worse, SR-wise. Feelsbadman

There are better Lucio's for sure, I would say that other Lucio's are more team oriented compared to how DSPStanky plays his Lucio. He definitely isn't someone you want to solo heal on your team (though he would dial back his aggressiveness). Maybe revolutionize isn't the right word, he mastered a lot of techniques that others kind of pick and chose on what they felt important, he took all that tech and made it into his own play style.

I hear you on the OTP... liability is the nicest thing you can say. It's hard to tell a OTP that they need to switch without them getting butt hurt, you would think getting countered would make them switch off. Doing good at the expense of the team is not good, I can now see why Kephrii isn't getting offers left and right. His highlights might be impressive but when his team is dead, does it really matter that he a quad headshot PotG?

Gorillaz

If you can survive console then yea your going to eat on pc

caesar

Banned
There are better Lucio's for sure, I would say that other Lucio's are more team oriented compared to how DSPStanky plays his Lucio. He definitely isn't someone you want to solo heal on your team (though he would dial back his aggressiveness). Maybe revolutionize isn't the right word, he mastered a lot of techniques that others kind of pick and chose on what they felt important, he took all that tech and made it into his own play style.

I hear you on the OTP... liability is the nicest thing you can say. It's hard to tell a OTP that they need to switch without them getting butt hurt, you would think getting countered would make them switch off. Doing good at the expense of the team is not good, I can now see why Kephrii isn't getting offers left and right. His highlights might be impressive but when his team is dead, does it really matter that he a quad headshot PotG?

There are also a lot of better Widow players out there who do not one trick like Kephrii. He is not the #1 like he claims to be, no pro team is gonna offer him jack.

caesar

Banned

Pc makes aiming easier? Completely disagree. I bet nearly all of the people who 'make it' from console play heroes that don't require aim.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
stankys success has nothing to do with aiming. he even says his sensitivity is way too high and he misses a lot of his m1 shots. the stuff he does well with is the same stuff youd do well with on consoles

LiK

Pc makes aiming easier? Completely disagree. I bet nearly all of the people who 'make it' from console play heroes that don't require aim.

That's quite a generalization. You can ask a few of the guys here who they play once they migrated to the other side. I can't speak for them. The only difference is readjusting to the sensitivity of using a mouse, imo.

And don't most of the PC players here always rave about how much easier it is to aim on PC anyway? Not sure why you guys are disagreeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom