• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch |OT8| Our love will last Pharah-ver

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarmaCow

That's quite a generalization. You can ask a few of the guys here who they play once they migrated to the other side. I can't speak for them. The only difference is readjusting to the sensitivity of using a mouse, imo.

And don't most of the PC players here always rave about how much easier it is to aim on PC anyway? Not sure why you guys are disagreeing.

I wouldn't say easier, rather less cumbersome. On console the auto-aim correction squashes the skill floor and ceiling, so on PC the range is much wider.

iddqd is streaming some games. Someone in the chat mentioned it being a 24 hour stream but I don't know the validity of that. Twitch chat isn't exactly what I'd call reliable...

His tracking with Tracer is so much fun to watch.

caesar

Banned
That's quite a generalization. You can ask a few of the guys here who they play once they migrated to the other side. I can't speak for them. The only difference is readjusting to the sensitivity of using a mouse, imo.

And don't most of the PC players here always rave about how much easier it is to aim on PC anyway? Not sure why you guys are disagreeing.

Yeah most of them are hanging around diamond, abadabadwhatever got to Master plays Reinhardt and Dva afaik. Most of these guys are carrying over gamesense, they aren't destroying everyone with McCree.

You have way more possibilities to hit targets on PC yeah. Doesn't mean its easier, the skill ceiling on aiming with m+kb is super high and there are a lot of different techniques. I don't think anyone says its easier just better.

Sayad

Pc makes aiming easier? Completely disagree. I bet nearly all of the people who 'make it' from console play heroes that don't require aim.
Haven't played a PC multiplayer shooter since early 2000s, and when I started playing Overwatch on PC my aim was already better than on console two weeks in, and that was without even making a full switch(still play both versions). Fundamentals you learn on console about tracking based on characters movements and cursor positions still apply to PC, you're execution of them just can be so much more accurate with a mouse.

Aiming is definitely easier on PC, but there's also a much higher skill ceiling when aiming with a mouse. So it wont take a console player long for his aiming to be better on PC than it was on console, but it would take a lot of effort and time for his aim to be great by PC standards.

LiK

Well, I had just as much fun playing Soldier and Zen on PC as I did on console so I didn't see much of a difference but I was just playing QP and Arcade to test out the game. Maybe when I'm more invested on PC I'll customize the controls some more for myself. But that's just me.

The mouse + Keyboard setup gives you more control to aim. This isn't controversial.

Not taking a side here, but they are also different setups and configurations to learn, correct? Like I wouldn't be able to aim on controller at all, and I know people who do nutty stuff on console but can't aim at all on PC. Obv there is a lot more to be considered, though

Jellie

You have to adjust to it then afterwards its ok. I was ulting with zarya instead of pressing shift sometimes when I first started. You have better control of your actions on PC but so does the enemy.

LiK

You have to adjust to it then afterwards its ok. I was ulting with zarya instead of pressing shift sometimes when I first started. You have better control of your actions on PC but so does the enemy.

the whole flicking thing is still new to me.

Quick play doesn't seem like a good place to practice characters. I looked into game browser and found out that most games there were "XP farming" with only Torb and Mercy, and some other chilling or yoga or whatever they were doing. I think I will start practicing there with no time limits and with specific team compositions.

caesar

Banned
Haven't played a PC multiplayer shooter since early 2000s, and when I started playing Overwatch on PC my aim was already better than on console two weeks in, and that was without even making a full switch(still play both versions). Fundamentals you learn on console about tracking based on characters movements and cursor positions still apply to PC, you're execution of them just can be so much more accurate with a mouse.

Aiming is definitely easier on PC, but there's also a much higher skill ceiling when aiming with a mouse. So it wont take a console player long for his aiming to be better on PC than it was on console, but it would take a lot of effort and time for his aim to be great by PC standards.

Lik was talking about people who make it. I guess that means getting to like Master or something.

Its better not easier, I'm not saying you won't have better aim than you did on console but that doesn't mean anything relative to the other PC players who have good aim.

Someone asked if I was annoyed with my own voice because I was making call outs. Then went on to say that he wasn't being toxic.

I instantly muted him.

From watching streams and playing, I find that a lot don't listen to calls out enough. You can say that someone's flanking behind a billion times, only to watch a kill feed of that same flanker wiping your team.

I guess nothing will change mercys from holding off pressing Q :///

In many cases it's better to use it early and often. Mercy is constantly targeted so she has a hard time surviving until the big rez, so it's bad news banking on that happening. And often it's worth going for the single rez if it's someone valuable, like Reinheart or anyone that has an Ult ready.

Not to mention she can get charge a new rez in, like, a minute.

the placements for this season were dumb and pointless. if they really were going to start us around where we were no matter what, they should have just skipped placements this season and let us start gaining SR instead of try to maintain our position for 10 straight games.

my friend finished the season in 897 last season.

this season we were hoping to pull him out of that so he could play with us more consistently. Since I already had my placements done, while he was doing his placements, I was gaining SR. when we finished, he went 8 wins - 2 losses and got a placement of 967. since I was gaining sr it put me at a point that, if I win a few games without him, ill be at a point where it wont let me queue with him. its so dumb. Im basically gonna get to that point probably so I probably wont get to play with him for the majority of this season unless he can pull himself out of that hellhole. smh

LiK

Someone asked if I was annoyed with my own voice because I was making call outs. Then went on to say that he wasn't being toxic.

I instantly muted him.

From watching streams and playing, I find that a lot don't listen to calls out enough. You can say that someone's flanking behind a billion times, only to watch a kill feed of that same flanker wiping your team.

The whole point of using a mic are callouts. That guy sounded like a douche.

In many cases it's better to use it early and often. Mercy is constantly targeted so she has a hard time surviving until the big rez, so it's bad news banking on that happening. And often it's worth going for the single rez if it's someone valuable, like Reinheart or anyone that has an Ult ready.

Not to mention she can get charge a new rez in, like, a minute.
Yeah, I only really save Rez for enemy ult dumps or losing battles.

Ambient80

I definitely think if you're on attack or defence makes a big difference in how I play Sombra. If I'm on the offense, I usually don't camp health packs as much and focus on just generally being a distraction and then translocating away; if I'm defense, I camp a lot more and focus on getting my ult and picking their supports when I can. :)

Yeah that makes sense. I'm pretty much exactly the same for defense. If they're making a push I'll go for tanks but otherwise I try to pick off a stray Mercy or Zenyatta. It also pleases me to occasionally hack a Tracer and watch her get rolled.

The main thing I need to focus on is my translocator placement, and just generally having better awareness of the situation around me. I still do pretty well with her though. Consistently in the high 20's to mid-30's with hacks and try to concentrate them on tanks, then healers, then DPS that I know have an ult.

Always room for improvement!

hypernima

Banned

I instantly muted him.

tfw when you make all the callouts, lose, then the last minute mic rage from a silent teammate.

antitrop

Pc makes aiming easier? Completely disagree. I bet nearly all of the people who 'make it' from console play heroes that don't require aim.
Ya, people have much less predictable movement patterns on PC. Especially when crouch spamming was a thing, you couldn't even do that on consoles.

Lik was talking about people who make it. I guess that means getting to like Master or something.

Its better not easier, I'm not saying you won't have better aim than you did on console but that doesn't mean anything relative to the other PC players who have good aim.

I don't think "people who make it" is getting to a specific rank, more-so of holding your own because of where you came from (console). I can't tell you how many times I watched game play video of someone doing something impressive on console (even PC standards, it's still impressive), only to be downplayed by "LOL THIS IS MASTERS ON PS4? THIS LOOKS LIKE BRONZE ON PC LOLOL, THESE GUYS WOULDN'T MAKE IT PAST GOLD ON PC" or other similar comments.

You're doing something similar, you're saying most people are just getting by with game sense and not aim. I can tell you this is probably true to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean someone from console can't have good aim relative to PC players. Look at the post AbadabadaFadi made, kslims was the #1 McCree on console for various seasons. He mentioned his switch to PC that he got by with game sense until he felt more comfortable on KB/M. What's his stats on PC with some of the more aim heavy characters (someone who never played PC before, and is only really a month in OW on PC)?

JEaMzrU.png

zsVfkvg.png

If that's not good aim regardless of platform I don't know what is.

AbaFadi

Banned
Yeah most of them are hanging around diamond, abadabadwhatever got to Master plays Reinhardt and Dva afaik. Most of these guys are carrying over gamesense, they aren't destroying everyone with McCree.

You have way more possibilities to hit targets on PC yeah. Doesn't mean its easier, the skill ceiling on aiming with m+kb is super high and there are a lot of different techniques. I don't think anyone says its easier just better.

You're not wrong. Most people on my pc friends list who were former ps4 players are tank/support mains now instead of dps like they were on console. Aiming is for sure better on PC, but I wouldn't say it's easier.

LiK

You guys are reading too much into my comment. When I say "make it" I don't mean going Masters or whatever. I mean you guys are doing fine and playing well there. It's not a competition between platforms.

The PC community tends to think console players are trash-tier whenever someone mentions they play on console.

You guys are reading too much into my comment. When I say "make it" I don't mean going Masters or whatever. I mean you guys are doing fine and playing well there. It's not a competition between platforms.

The PC community tends to think console players are trash-tier whenever someone mentions they play on console.

DSPStanky is still the greatest example of that being bullshit.

Also the other day I literally had someone shout at me to stop talking so much when I was playing Rein and making callouts lol. Like what, I'm supposed to be static rectangle shield man and not say a word when I'm getting flanked?

Yeah, I know some who go from PS4 to PC and wrecks. In games like Overwatch, game sense is king.

Im definitely staying put on the PS4 though, even though I was a pretty addicted CS/Quake 3 gamer way back. My reflex isnt as how it used to be, not to mention an old injury to my wrist makes prolonged gaming with KBM hurts like hell aftrr.

LiK

DSPStanky is still the greatest example of that being bullshit.

Also the other day I literally had someone shout at me to stop talking so much when I was playing Rein and making callouts lol. Like what, I'm supposed to be static rectangle shield man and not say a word when I'm getting flanked?

I don't get it. Why do they care if you're making callouts often. Don't they wanna win? I mean, unless you were talking nonstop then I can understand why.

Filben

I wouldn't say easier, rather less cumbersome. On console the auto-aim correction squashes the skill floor and ceiling, so on PC the range is much wider.
PC gamer here and I recently played a couple of matches of Battlefield 1. I was never so good in that game. My K/D is 1.75 times higher on console than on PC. Maybe it'll drop as I play more matches but I already had stats I have never achieved on PC. While you die so quickly on PC as soon as someone's seeing you (and react just 500ms too late) on console it's way more forgiving.

Pretty fun, I must say. It is very relaxed to play on console and I haven't been in rage even ONCE after death.

I don't think I'll switch OW to console because most of my buddies play it on PC and I like the competition and skill range there, but as for other games like BF1 or Titanfall 2, they are just 'fun' to play and I'm thinking about switching to a more relaxed environment (with less cheaters and less shit talk in the chat). Maybe I'm just getting old.

PC gamer here and I recently played a couple of matches of Battlefield 1. I was never so good in that game. My K/D is 1.75 times higher on console than on PC. Maybe it'll drop as I play more matches but I already had stats I have never achieved on PC. While you die so quickly on PC as soon as someone's seeing you (and react just 500ms too late) on console it's way more forgiving.

Pretty fun, I must say. It is very relaxed to play on console and I haven't been in rage even ONCE after death.

I don't think I'll switch OW to console because most of my buddies play it on PC and I like the competition and skill range there, but as for other games like BF1 or Titanfall 2, they are just 'fun' to play and I'm thinking about switching to a more relaxed environment (with less cheaters and less shit talk in the chat). Maybe I'm just getting old.
One of the other reason why I mp mainly on the PC now. I dont have time to handle toxic shit by teenager when im already in my thirties.

Of course, sometimes you get a team lineup consisting of Genji, Ana, Mercy and Zenyatta while defending, but it's a small sacrifice.

Jellie

You're not wrong. Most people on my pc friends list who were former ps4 players are tank/support mains now instead of dps like they were on console. Aiming is for sure better on PC, but I wouldn't say it's easier.

Yup tank/support too. Then again I wasn't a DPS on console. Did have a good Tracer though but mainly played Lucio and Zarya.

komaruR

Yeah I played with him a lot on ps4. I played pc for like 30 hours last season. Placed in diamond at 3044 and reached masters at 3834 before I stopped playing. I just don't have the time anymore to play on two platforms and when I do have time to play, I'd rather just play with friends on ps4 than solo on pc. Two of my friends will be building a pc by the end of the month so I'll probably go pc full-time after that.
I remember back when I got the PC version, then went back on ps4 to play with friends. On that first ps4 return match, I was telling my friends that the game felt so slow and I'm like moving in mud lol. That feeling made me thinking there's no way i'm playing ps4 version again lol. But after a really short break from ow, i played back ps4 ow exclusively but I put challenge for myself to use a new control style where L2 is my jump and the L1/R1 is my secondary/primary fire. Took me a good 2 weeks to adapt. It's now a second nature to me; to the point that when I started picking up destiny again, I barely remember the old way of jumping with x lol. Guess time dilute the feel of pc ow greatness in comparison to the console version lol.
Anyway, my point was to ask if you ever had that feel before from playing back ps4 version? lol. I know one of my friend that played pc ow after ps4, said he will never play ps4 ever again. And yes, he never touched ps4 version ever again even tho a bunch of our friends was asking him to lol. But he stop playing pc version too since its lonely lol.

Well, I had just as much fun playing Soldier and Zen on PC as I did on console so I didn't see much of a difference but I was just playing QP and Arcade to test out the game. Maybe when I'm more invested on PC I'll customize the controls some more for myself. But that's just me.
You every played pc games before? or wasd movement?
I played mmos and non serious fps. Even back when I played cs, my aim was horrible. It's not until when I got so into pc ow that I start learning about the dpi/sense, turning off mouse acceleration, and also getting a fps gaming mouse and mechanical keyboard lol.
peripheral is not a must but it do aide quite a bit to having better aiming because of better optical sensor than regular desktop mouse.

I just stick to tracking heroes. Can't flick to save my life. Weird that I'm an Ana main considering that actually. Think I'm better with Zarya though.
I'm the opposite. I can't track that well but I can sure flick shot better than tracking lol.
I think flick shots are like some kinda technique semi taking advantage of the hit registration system. Like people doing quick scopes.

LiK

You every played pc games before? or wasd movement?
I played mmos and non serious fps. Even back when I played cs, my aim was horrible. It's not until when I got so into pc ow that I start learning about the dpi/sense, turning off mouse acceleration, and also getting a fps gaming mouse and mechanical keyboard lol.
peripheral is not a must but it do aide quite a bit to having better aiming because of better optical sensor than regular desktop mouse.

I used to be hardcore into FPS on consoles like CS 1.6. Old school. I was even part of a clan. So returning to FPS on PC these days isn't that much different to me. I just don't like playing using WASD anymore.

I don't get it. Why do they care if you're making callouts often. Don't they wanna win? I mean, unless you were talking nonstop then I can understand why.

Yeah, I often mute people that just ramble or joke around too much, but in all honesty I keep my chat to a minimum. Only really go for callouts or asking for specific objectives.

antitrop

I've been lucky to have almost all my games this season be pleasantly chatty. Games just go better that way and my win rate reflects it.

People have been really cool about me playing Mercy, too. There have been a few games where someone asked me to switch to Ana halfway through the game or whatever (those games are auto-losses, my win rate with Ana is 0% so far), but nobody has been bothered about it at the start.

rulerk1

Back in the 2500s now. Had ppl auto lock dps and hanzo and actually perform with them. Had a couple of single man gravs tho :(

Anne

I mean it's hard to quantify rank going between platforms anyways because the ranking system is the pure hottest of garbage.

LiK

I've been lucky to have almost all my games this season be pleasantly chatty. Games just go better that way and my win rate reflects it.

People have been really cool about me playing Mercy, too. There have been a few games where someone asked me to switch to Ana halfway through the game or whatever (those games are auto-losses, my win rate with Ana is 0% so far), but nobody has been bothered about it at the start.

Do you talk with a sexy voice? Most Mercys tend to be girls. :p

antitrop

39C2dfj.png

I think my problem with Ana is that I try to play her too much like Mercy and I just can't break that habit, even though my mechanics with her aren't that bad at all. Like, I'm getting elims/assists, the healing is on point, I'm getting value out of Nano, but I just die too much.

I find it really, really easy to play the objective with Mercy, because Guardian Angel is such a powerful maneuver ability, but then I try to do the same thing with Ana out of habit and just die.

Even in a longer game with Mercy, I'm probably only going to die 4 or 5 times, but it's twice as much with Ana.

caesar

Banned
I don't think "people who make it" is getting to a specific rank, more-so of holding your own because of where you came from (console). I can't tell you how many times I watched game play video of someone doing something impressive on console (even PC standards, it's still impressive), only to be downplayed by "LOL THIS IS MASTERS ON PS4? THIS LOOKS LIKE BRONZE ON PC LOLOL, THESE GUYS WOULDN'T MAKE IT PAST GOLD ON PC" or other similar comments.

You're doing something similar, you're saying most people are just getting by with game sense and not aim. I can tell you this is probably true to a certain extent, but that doesn't mean someone from console can't have good aim relative to PC players. Look at the post AbadabadaFadi made, kslims was the #1 McCree on console for various seasons. He mentioned his switch to PC that he got by with game sense until he felt more comfortable on KB/M. What's his stats on PC with some of the more aim heavy characters (someone who never played PC before, and is only really a month in OW on PC)?

JEaMzrU.png

zsVfkvg.png

If that's not good aim regardless of platform I don't know what is.

This guy is clearly an anomaly.

Do you talk with a sexy voice? Most Mercys tend to be girls. :p

Anti's voice is not girly, but he's not unpleasant to listen to...

*EDIT* Lol at the post above me.

Last night I had a female D.Va player call me "Reiny" all the time and I kept spamming the "Respect your Elders" voice line. It was dumb but we got a laugh out of it.

komaruR

39C2dfj.png

I think my problem with Ana is that I try to play her too much like Mercy and I just can't break that habit, even though my mechanics with her aren't that bad at all. Like, I'm getting elims/assists, the healing is on point, I'm getting value out of Nano, but I just die too much.

I find it really, really easy to play the objective with Mercy, because Guardian Angel is such a powerful maneuver ability, but then I try to do the same thing with Ana out of habit and just die.

you're not playing like a sniper! :p
regardless for me, I play all character too aggressively. Always try to be up on enemy face; for which certain heros that sucks in CQC, I always end up dying or get gang up on.

antitrop

you're not playing like a sniper! :p

It's always been my least favorite thing to play in FPS. I'm an assault rifle kind of guy, give me an M4 in Counter-Strike, give me Soldier 76, give me that shit.

I really don't like playing Ana at all, but she's so meta people want it even if you suck at her. If we're losing with my Mercy, we're still gonna lose when I switch to Ana, but I'm not the kind of guy to be stubborn about switching.

If anything, switching my Mercy to Zen has the best results for me, but people want Ana.

komaruR

It's always been my least favorite thing to play in FPS. I'm an assault rifle kind of guy, give me an M4 in Counter-Strike, give me Soldier 76, give me that shit.

I really don't like playing Ana at all, but she's so meta people want it even if you suck at her.

Same here, I hate the waiting game of sniping. I'm a smg guy for cod/bf games. I like getting into the middle of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom