• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecha

Unrelated, but a blast in Nigeria kills 32 - Boko Haram.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/11/17/us-nigeria-blast-idUSKCN0T62NC20151117

Getting surprisingly little coverage in the mainstream.

Nigeria isn't a western power/country that most westerners think about so people will care less. Whatever happens in certain parts of the world are just ignored by most people. If the same attack that hit Paris was instead in most African/Asian countries the reaction would have been far more subdued. A terrorist attack anywhere is terrible, but it's sad to see certain peoples lives being treated as more "news worthy" than others because of where they live.

"BREAKING: Large police operation probably linked to attacks under way in Paris suburb; shots fired" - @AP

Not sure if this is related.

params7

Banned
Nigeria isn't a western power/country that most westerners think about so people will care less. Whatever happens in certain parts of the world are just ignored by most people. If the same attack that hit Paris was instead in most African/Asian countries the reaction would have been far more subdued. A terrorist attack anywhere is terrible, but it's sad to see certain peoples lives being treated as more "news worthy" than others because of where they live.

I think its only natural people will care more about people or cultures who they relate with more. Just haven't seen a news channel on TV mention this yet which is odd.

Looks like raids are going down in Paris right now..

The Guardian are reporting the police operation underway in Saint Denis is related to inquiry into the supposed '9th Gunman' and that police have been injured.

"Heavy gunfire" mentioned.

The Guardian summary from live blog:

"St Denis shooting: a summary

Here’s a quick run-down of what we know about current events in St Denis, where it is currently 5.50am:

“Heavy gunfire” has been reported in St Denis, a northern Paris suburb. St Denis is where the Stade de France, one of the targets of Friday’s attacks, is located.
Shooting took place during a police operation reported to be linked to the search for the so-called “ninth attacker” – believed to be on the run.
Some local media reports that a number of police officers have been injured in the operation; this has not been confirmed.
Roads have been closed off and the police operation appears to be ongoing, with large numbers of police officers and police vehicles in the area."

I think its only natural people will care more about people or cultures who they relate with more. Just haven't seen a news channel on TV mention this yet which is odd.

Looks like raids are going down in Paris right now..

culture is not the reason why these events don't get covered as much as a bombing in Paris.

chadskin

https://news.vice.com/article/live-updates-france-on-the-hunt-for-second-suspect-day-4
Video has surfaced that claims to show the scene of the shootout in Seine-Saint-Denis, a suburb about 10 kilometers north of the heart of Paris. Sounds of heavy gunfire can be heard in the footage. The description of the video posted on YouTube says the footage was shot near a school on Rue du Corbillon. French media are reporting police operations in the area.
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJDEUmy7Wzk

antonz

Crossing my fingers that we're going to see some suspects caught.

Seeing some tweets suggesting the suspects have barricaded themselves in. Hopefully they do not have any explosives cause I could see them force the police to come get them just to set off a vest or something

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Breaking: Air France flight to Paris diverted to Halifax due to threat
Nova Scotia RCMP say a bomb threat is what led to an Air France flight to be diverted to Halifax, one of two diversions the airline endured Tuesday night.

Air France Flight 055 was on its way from Washington, D.C. to Paris when it made the emergency landing at Halifax Stanfield International Airport at 10:15 p.m. local time.

Nova Scotia RCMP say the Boeing 777 — which had 262 passengers and crew aboard, is now empty.

RCMP say they will be searching the Air France plane using police dogs trained in explosives.

Peter Spurway, a spokesperson for Halifax Stanfield International Airport said the passengers and crew members exited the plane and were being taken to "a secure area in the airport terminal."

chadskin

Le Monde:
In Saint-Denis, the assault is still ongoing. There "would be two dead and a third to confirm" among persons referred by officers from the RAID, said a police source in the world, "because no final assessment is possible as long as the operation continues."

However, men are still holed up in an apartment referred by the police, say police and judicial sources told Agence France Press.
http://www.lemonde.fr/societe/live/...eres-informations-en-direct_4812231_3224.html

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I hope they catch him alive.

I begrudge these savages their phantasies of martyrdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom