• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paris Terrorist Attacks, 120+ dead. Do not post hearsay/unsourced/old news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, this is fucking nuts. So if I'm understanding this correctly, there were multiple, coordinated attacks throughout Paris? Suicide bombers, gunmen and the like?

One of my teachers is a special forces ranger, and I wonder what his take on this will be.

EDIT: Also, did a post just get deleted?

BobLoblaw

Banned
H8Pj9kv.png
Apples to elephants. Wow.

Sianos

This is GAF, most of the people here have no clue how the world actually works and believe everything can be peace and love
Re-education is necessary as a part of a long term solution. The current cycle is to train insurgents so they can overthrow the current government so that the insurgents can turn against us... so we train new rebels to fight the old rebels. Mass killing is not effective in the long term, because it turns the survivors against us and gives them a justification beyond their ensured schizophrenia to fight - after all, do we not often present the person avenging their dead family as heroic?

To solve this problem in the long term, re-education is necessary. I think the proliferation of technology and rationalist schools of thought will be able to undermine these archaic cults in the long run.

What the hell?

This isn't anywhere near the same amount of messed up. Stuff like this makes me seriously question people's thought processes.

Oh hey I know a bunch of people just lost their lives but let's not forget about this over here.

Ugh.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Are really going to care about some random nobody's twitter account? Seriously?

Maybe next we should find some random facebook user blaming the situation on the jews, or saying france deserved it.

What makes me even more sad about this is knowing that these governments have supported the syrian rebels, making ISIS a reality. Now they escape from the Russian attacks, and retaliate in a place like Paris. And those same governments will go in an all out war against these groups, creating more conflict.

Stay strong France-GAF.

Arkeband

Banned
CNN is giving the best coverage of this event.

'Bloodbath'

When you highlight it, it turns red...like blood red color.

Just to add some perspective here, every other mouseover'd link on CNN's page also turns red, "like blood red color", and has for a really long time.

I have to say if this terrorist attack was initiated by religious extremists I'd be extremely wary for the state of the world if prominent first-world nation capitals are vulnerable to such premeditated attacks.

Undead

Re-education is necessary as a part of a long term solution. The current cycle is to train insurgents so they can overthrow the current government so that the insurgents can turn against us... so we train new rebels to fight the old rebels. Mass killing is not effective in the long term, because it turns the survivors against us and gives them a justification beyond their ensured schizophrenia to fight - after all, do we not often present the person avenging their dead family as heroic?

To solve this problem in the long term, re-education is necessary. I think the proliferation of technology and rationalist schools of thought will be able to undermine these archaic cults in the long run.

That may work with some people but not with Isis and therein lies the problem.
I do agree with you on training insurgents and rebels, it's a stupid idea that creates more problems in the long run

Wellscha

People keep saying "re-education", but how can you educate a populace which does not want to be educated, and when the entire surrounding culture is openly hostile to the sort of ideas you're trying to inculcate? Sounds like wishful thinking...

Re-education means jack shit when you have people with college degrees believing in ISIS ideology.

Jag

I have to say if this terrorist attack was initiated by religious extremists I'd be extremely wary for the state of the world if prominent first-world nation capitals are vulnerable to such premeditated attacks.

I think it's pretty obvious it was.

I read this quote from a witness in Paris and I think it is spot on.

“It feels like we’ve created a monster, where the terrorists know better than our own security forces how to maneuver,” she said. “These people are agile, young, have no morals and no limits.”

If you think about it, that's what's really scary and there are more out there waiting for their turn and to die for their god.

orochi91

This only seems like an issue that European nations may run into, what with all those open borders and close proximity to the ME.

NA should be fine.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
prayers go out to all ya'll in Paris. Stay safe out there people and remember to hug your loved ones a little harder.

words escape me but this all so senseless.

Mortemis

Banned
Are really going to care about some random nobody's twitter account? Seriously?

Maybe next we should find some random facebook user blaming the situation on the jews, or saying france deserved it.

Finding some idiotic tweet and putting it up on GAF is one of the easiest ways to derail discussion nowadays. Shit's pointless, no one cares what one random has to say about this, however idiotic it is.

So do we have confirmation who these sub-human scum that committed this atrocity are and what their reasoning is? Any group come forward to explain and take credit yet?

Yeah can't wait for the islamaphobe to give me rational and sensible discussion on today's events.

I don't see him as an islamaphobe, to me he is just saying liberals should be more vocal about how the religion in the middle east is very oppressive to values of the west. Just because he is critical of Islam, it doesn't mean he "hates them all."

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
BBC saying 8 attackers, 7 blew themselves up. Incidents at 6 locations.

One of the attackers quoted as saying "This is because of Syria".

Machina

Banned
Later tonight, the sails of the Opera House will be lit in the blue, white and red tricolore of the French flag.

I've also asked for a French flag to fly over the harbour bridge. Turns out, there isn't one in the country that is big enough. So, if we can't source one, we are going to make one.

We mourn with you, and we stand with you, Paris

That's the Premier of NSW, Australia

Boke1879

I'm sure her response about the mizzou situation comes from many prominent people on twitter saying that the people protesting at Mizzou and other campuses should pretty much stop and only focus on this.

Kinda sad to see tweets trying to downplay racism in light of this. Most of the time they go hand in hand. I'm thinking about Japan, just like I'm thinking about Paris and I'm thinking about Mizzou. I see her overall point.

Oneself

Just saw one guy on TV who was at the Bataclan and got saved by his Samsung cellphone. The phone took the bullet.

This is one of the world's craziest, ugliest, most scary tragedy. If I had been in Paris, I certainly would have been there for EODM's show and later for Deftones. :/

Mathunilx

Neo Member
How in the world do you re-educate people like ISIS? That is complete la la land. They HATE you and want to kill you and your entire family purely because you don't share their beliefs. Inviting them to a cup of tea to educate them about why we should all exist in harmony is NEVER going to happen.

Of course that's not what you need to do. The reasons they are like they are is because they have been socialized a certain way (you don't think like us so you should die kind of way). The problem is that children are now entering ISIS.

The only way not to have ISIS exist is to stabilize the region and implement a school system of sorts. I could go into greater details but I think you understand what I mean.

And by the way, even those who are so far away in their beliefs that they would chose becoming suicide bombers before listening to you talk about peace can be re-educated.

Monocle

Stay safe everyone.

I don't see him as an islamaphobe, to me he is just saying liberals should be more vocal about how the religion in the middle east is very oppressive to values of the west. Just because he is critical of Islam, it doesn't mean he "hates them all."
Islamophobia is a concept widely abused to discredit legitimate critiques of Islamic extremism by equating its detractors to bigots, i.e. homophobes.

Things like this make me not want to go to big events such as the German market in Birmingham this afternoon. I know I shouldn't let these bastards put me off but it's seems like such an obvious target.

params7

Banned
That's a long rambling with zero substance to the particular topic just to say no, huh.

There's plenty of substance, and its right there. Syrians started fleeing from areas where ISIS gained territory (Idlib, Aleppo, Al-Raqa). Those fleeing within Syria are running to Damascus and other Alawits and Assad controlled areas. Try to get your news outside of the regular western circle to get the full picture.

Some good news is the mass opinion within U.S. is bordering more and more towards isolationist policy everyday, so maybe things will change for the better. People are beginning to realize power vacuums do no good.

Keep wagging that little poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom