• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Ryan: GOP will defund Planned Parenthood

Status
Not open for further replies.
52% of white women voted for him. All I can say is that people should handle the consequences and like Obama said a few days ago never help the Republicans fix the healthcare system after they completely destroy it.

Xe4

Banned
52% of white women voted for him. All I can say is that people should handle the consequences and like Obama said a few days ago never help the Republicans fix the healthcare system after they completely destroy it.
A surprising ammount of white women are pro life. They're getting exactly what they want.

Those that are pro-choice and voted for Trump either don't care about it, or are dumb as fuck.

To be fair, 52% of white women who voted. Granted, that means a whole shit ton of women who didn't care enough to vote to stop this from happening.

Granted, I imagine that a large swath of the white women who voted for Trump are also not the kind of women who need PP. Let's not forget that Trump was really popular with white people who made over $50k a year.

Get rid of the first word.. don't give them away out

I agree. But they've already aligned themselves with "God's principles." They're just doing what "God wants." We don't need abortions or clinics because "God will provide." Christianity is the greatest political tool ever usurped - it pretty much allows politicians to get away with doing remarkably little while hiding behind the veil of a "higher purpose."

I don't know how we strip them of it, though.

This statistic bothers me as well as the 30% of Latinos who voted for him.

Dierce

Also lets not forget that they aren't solely against abortions. Republicans are against sexual education at schools and have a hard time accepting contraceptives. Their entire ideology is a huge clusterfuck of misery.

azyless

Isn't the money PP receives from the government not allowed to go to abortions in the first place in the US ?

edit : okay my bad it's actually in the link :
no federal money is allowed to go to programs that include abortion services, unless they are needed to preserve the life of the mother or are caused by rape
So this would basically force women and teenage girls to have their rapist's baby or to literally die, what a noble goal. Fuck these evil bastards, as if they hadn't made it hard enough already to have an abortion in that country.

Hazmat

I donated for the first (and probably not last, it looks like) time to PP a couple days ago. We get to help women in need of good healthcare and give the middle finger to the GOP. It's a bargain at twice the price.

Isn't the money PP receives from the government not allowed to go to abortions in the first place in the US ?

Yeah, I thought the effect of the Hyde Amendment was pretty much this? If so, lawmakers must know and are intentionally encouraging misunderstanding in order to score political points. Which is super plausible.

Disgusting. There should be more money going to things like this. But sure, you rather have teenage mothers and young people totally not ready for a family.

ezekial45

Banned

A lot of women, mostly white and middle to lower class, buy into the patriarchy. Specifically the belief that men have their best interests in mind and that they need to know their place. A lot of women who are progressive and largely rebel against the patriarchy will get hurt by this, and the ones who voted in favor of this will get hurt too. It's unfortunate and sad that so many women screwed over their own gender.

planned-parenthood-services-2013-14_chartbuilder-2-_custom-2c71379b77e7eb35a5d6357662032d86fa0ef32a-s400-c85.png

All they see is that 3%.

LiK

GOP ignores everything else PP does and only focuses on abortion. They're so goddamn ignorant. It's infuriating.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
So whats their women's healthcare plan?

Abstinence-only education. It's fool-proof.

That is sarcasm.

Not according to the GOP it isn't.

What's a woman?
Someone who makes babies, and stays at home, in the kitchen preferably.

"God will take care of it."
If God put women on this Earth to make babies, then by God she shall.

will this just privatize abortion clinics more?
Saves the GOP base paying for them then, even better.

Also lets not forget that they aren't solely against abortions. Republicans are against sexual education at schools and have a hard time accepting contraceptives. Their entire ideology is a huge clusterfuck of misery.
The Evangelical base certainly are. I'm sure a good portion still believe that proper sex education increases sexual activity in teenagers. Hint to the GOP: Look at how New Labour tackled teenage pregnancy in the UK. Better sex education and free contraceptives transformed the stats from among the worst in Europe to pretty darned decent. De-funding Planned Parenthood will result in more, rather than less unplanned pregnancies and have a knock on effect on those who can afford it least.

But hey, that's Gods will right guys? Protect the un-born until they're here, then fuck them and their parents, you're on your own. That's Freedom!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
What you need to talk about for PP is STD prevention (which brought down the HIV infection rate to historically low levels) and safe sex education.

Not abortions.

That's a battle that ain't getting won against them.
we're talking about republicans here, they are the people:
1) that don't care if abortions are even a fraction of what PP does (They are) it doesnt matter.
2) that still believe those anti PP videos released last year are real, even after it came out that they were fake.

Wilsongt

Will the government take care of those new born children? What about paying for those pap smears? Mammograms? Birth control that some women have to use for medical purposes?

No?

Get the fuck out of here with this shit. A fucking party of white men dictating where and the kind of care women can get simply because they are so concerned about what happens in a woman's vagina.

They can move to do this all they like.

It's not happening. They don't have the bodies to make it happen.

It's just a scare tactic to get PR from their mouthbreathing base and to position themselves against the dems.

It's absolutely happening. You take authoritarian's at their word. They mean what they say.

Joni

What you need to talk about for PP is STD prevention (which brought down the HIV infection rate to historically low levels) and safe sex education.

Not abortions.

That's a battle that ain't getting won against them.

You don't get STDs when you don't have sex. Stop promoting people having sex!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
The next 4 years are going to be disastrous for this nation.

I think the next 4 years will show how much people actually care about this nation. Will they sit back and do nothing, or jam phone lines, protest, and vote out the people who they disagree with. It could be a galvanizing 4 years, or a 4 years of misery. The reaction to the ethics board and people actually calling their reps may be a sign of things to come.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
PP has been getting the largest donations in its history over the last two months, so my hope is that will keep going. Hopefully bigger donations and states can get more active.

Unfortunately, this is just going to motivate people to do more desperate things to get abortions. They're not solving the problem, they're just removing options for people to make themselves feel better. It's sickening. Planned Parenthood is a fantastic resource for women, and it's horrifying that these men think this is in the best interests of women in this country.

I'm sure they'll be targeting Rowe v Wade next. This is fucking awful.

Fantastic for men too! I got my vasectomy done there (by, I kid you not, a Dr. Curington).

Going to be a lot more local anti-women rallies I'll have to counterprotest. My roommate and I were the only pro-choice people to stand up (and walk past, and argue with, hateful morons) last time. :

Joni

I think the next 4 years will show how much people actually care about this nation. Will they sit back and do nothing, or jam phone lines, protest, and vote out the people who they disagree with. It could be a galvanizing 4 years, or a 4 years of misery. The reaction to the ethics board and people actually calling their reps may be a sign of things to come.

They don't care enough to stop these people from getting into office. They are only executing their campaign promises on which they got elected.

I think the next 4 years will show how much people actually care about this nation. Will they sit back and do nothing, or jam phone lines, protest, and vote out the people who they disagree with. It could be a galvanizing 4 years, or a 4 years of misery.

I think it will be the latter.

Shit, fireworks will go off if the GOP attacks gay marriage imo.

Planned Parenthood doesn't service women only. I got STD testing done there after a drunken one night stand (just in case). I paid 20 dollars at the time and they ended up refunding all of it a few weeks later. One of the best experiences I've ever had at a medical office.

planned-parenthood-services-2013-14_chartbuilder-2-_custom-2c71379b77e7eb35a5d6357662032d86fa0ef32a-s400-c85.png

All they see is that 3%.

GOP ignores everything else PP does and only focuses on abortion. They're so goddamn ignorant. It's infuriating.

No, they see more than that. This is the same group pushing abstinence-only education, remember. Any service that specifically acknowledges women having sex for any reason outside of heterosexual marital procreation is an abomination and must not be funded by the government. Planned Parenthood is a symbolic target for their hatred of the concept that women be allowed agency over their own sexuality. Abortion is just a part of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom