• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny-Arcade: "Marketers of the Avenger Controller are thieves and liars".

Dali

Well, that interview certainly won't douse the flames. It's amazing to me that this experience has taught him nothing. What's even worse though, is that he honestly seems to think he has learned from this but the lesson he got is totally fucking wrong. What an absolute moron!

lol. It's like asking an imprisoned bank robber after 10 years behind bars what he learned and him replying "get gas before the job".

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Here's one for the ''Mike can be a gigantic asshole when he's put in a certain position'' (and I love him for that).

Anyone remember that terrible podcast called ''Jordan Jesse Go Go Go'' or something where Mike and Jerry were invited to?

Long story short, they were invited to this podcast that took place in a stranger's apartment where they arrived an hour early because, as they later found out, there was a PR communication problem, so they had to push the interview an hour later. But to them at the time, the guy was late and it pissed them off to no end. However to Jerry, and especially Mike, waiting for someone who's late, in a stranger's apartment, to do an interview with people you don't really connect with, can take its toll. Especially when the said ''interview'' is just the hosts talking about random stuff without trying to engage you, the interviewee.

800110986_pCFNw-L.jpg

JERRY:

It gets awkward (and funny) really fast:

http://instant-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/jjgothelostepisode.mp3
I used to download that podcast on a regular basis. That episode was by far the funniest one they've ever done, and maybe not in a good way. Jerry (Tycho) held his own but I thought that Mike (Gabe) was going to physically attack him.

As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the benign indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my internet lynching and that they greet me with cries of hate.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Heh, I specifically thought of you while reading that article and wondered what your thoughts might be about the guy after reading that. After that article he really is completely indefensible, you can see that he's learned nothing from all of this.
The guy being a giant douche doesn't remove ANYTHING from the creepiness of what's happening. Bullying has never been justified because "the other one started it".

mik83kuu

Banned
I cannot fathom how someone goes through all this shit and doesn't learn anything out of it? He's still basically calling Mike a bully and saying that if he had known he was talking to a celebrity, he would have done things differently.

I hope he loses so much more than one client because I really, really want him to learn something from this.

zethren

Banned
I sincerely do not believe that he hasn't lost clients to this fiasco. On what grounds do we have any reason to believe this moron? After this (hell, I'm surprised even before this) no self respecting company would want to be associated with this PR nightmare. Companies are in the business to make money which is achieved by having customers (surprise), not abusing your customers and dragging your associated company through the dirt.

Contrary to Paul's belief, we are not in a new generation of customer service where you can treat someone the way he did and get away with it.

I sincerely do not believe that he hasn't lost clients to this fiasco. On what grounds do we have any reason to believe this moron? After this (hell, I'm surprised even before this) no self respecting company would want to be associated with this PR nightmare. Companies are in the business to make money which is achieved by having customers (surprise), not abusing your customers and dragging your associated company through the dirt.

Contrary to Paul's belief, we are not in a new generation of customer service where you can treat someone the way he did and get away with it.
I believe him. You can't lose clients you didn't already have.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah that interview just shows that Mike was spot on in saying the guy was just sorry to get caught. All this guy learned was to not be a dick to people higher on the food chain. He doesn't seem to have any remorse for treating that customer like crap.

The ONLY small thing I'd agree with him with was the first E-Mail from PA being so hostile and that that first email could have been handled better. But based on his conduct, I can't imagine he would not have been anything but a dick in that case either.

Sethtimus Prime

Neo Member
It doesn't matter who you are talking to. If you're in customer service, there is no excuse to act the way he did. I hope he never works in this industry again.

This post prompted me to check their website for a client list or portfolio. I didn't see anything there. Granted I didn't look TOO HARD, but referencing a track record is part and parcel to this sort of thing. Makes me wonder who his clientele really is...

Venfayth

This isn't even done yet ..

http://www.examiner.com/video-game-...-marketing-gaming-pr-rep-to-avoid-at-all-cost

Update 12: In an odd twist, according to Corporation Wiki, both Paul Christoforo of Ocean Marketing and David Kotkin of N-Control has their names attached to a joint venture based in Miami, Florida. Per records kept by the Florida Department of State, the profile for Afternoon Artists Inc. though scarce on details has the names of the two men listed together. Christoforo is listed as Secretary whilst Kotkin is named as President, Director and Treasurer. Even more suspect is the last update for the profile being 10/22/2011, or roughly 2 months ago. Kotkin will be contacted for comment and this article will be updated accordingly.

Now some guy named Eli Schwartz is supposedly the replacement for Paul, but there's suspicions it's the same guy.

Read Update 15 on the examiner link above.

Jobiensis

Contrary to Paul's belief, we are not in a new generation of customer service where you can treat someone that way he did and get away with it.

It's not exactly apparent he's lost N-Control as a client.

zethren

Banned
It's not exactly apparent he's lost N-Control as a client.

Didn't the President of N-Control make a statement saying that Paul was no longer working with them? I thought I remembered seeing that somewhere in here.

EDIT: Oh damn, seeing the conspiracy posts now that Eli might be Paul. What on earth is going on here...? lol

Hero

Where?

False equivocation in a matter of clear moral imbalance is a full-throated defense of something indefensible. When you look at a situation in which one person has misbehaved and another has acted to counteract that misbehavior in some way, boiling it down to "well, everyone misbehaved" is in fact a technique for reducing culpability of the original bad actor.
The degree of misbehavior is being left out here and is completely the point of the argument at hand. Paul is and was a total dick and deserves to lose his clients and his company's name exposed for what he did. But what Gabe/Mike did was essentially letting loose their internet fans on this guy as a first retort instead of perhaps resolving the situation without involving people who were not effected by Paul.
On this particular topic, that defense involves pointing to things that individual people have done and drawing a bright line back to Gabe for exposing Paul's malfeasance in the first place, then claiming that these people's actions in response to Gabe's posting make him morally equivalent with Paul's long history of unacceptably poor customer service. That's a fundamentally disingenuous argument that serves no purpose but to shield the original target from blame, and it's fundamentally distinct from the "well I hope the internet randoms don't go too far" argument.
Has anyone said that Gabe is morally equivalent with Paul's actions? Besides that, Paul was being an asshole to both his customer for bad customer service and his client for misrepresenting their product. Gabe has admitted before that he enjoys getting at people like this and knows he has essentially his own internet army for dispensing so-called "internet justice" without having to directly get his hands dirty other than exposing e-mails and contact information. I think the end result of what happened to Paul is what he deserved but the manner in how we reached that point is what I have a problem with.

And before anyone tries to label me as a PA-hater I've been a fan for 10 years now, Child's Play is one of the few charities I regularly donate to and I love going to PAX. I just think that Gabe/Mike could use some more discretion when trying to dole out internet justice. The fact that he gets so much enjoyment out of things like this is a bit worrying.

elohel

hey defenders just to recap, the guy lied, posed as other people, only thinks that respecting people is necessary when they have power or are popular

oh not to mention he was a complete prick to people who paid for a product and were inquiring where it was

yeah, i dunno, doesnt really seem like defending much here, if this is just ONE or TWO occasions of him being an asshole, how many other times do you think he smarted off to people for no reason?

mob mentality lol

you'd join in in a heartbeat if it were something that provoked you and, not surprisingly, bullies provoke nerds lol

hey defenders just to recap, the guy lied, posed as other people, only thinks that respecting people is necessary when they have power or are popular

oh not to mention he was a complete prick to people who paid for a product and were inquiring where it was

yeah, i dunno, doesnt really seem like defending much here, if this is just ONE or TWO occasions of him being an asshole, how many other times do you think he smarted off to people for no reason?

mob mentality lol

you'd join in in a heartbeat if it were something that provoked you and, not surprisingly, bullies provoke nerds lol

But his wife and his 10 children are now starving and on the street. Where they are being pelted with shit and stuff apparently. Also, they are dead.

scy

The ONLY small thing I'd agree with him with was the first E-Mail from PA being so hostile and that that first email could have been handled better. But based on his conduct, I can't imagine he would not have been anything but a dick in that case either.

Well, he was responding to Dave in the first one; I figured Paul was only included in that email as, yes, a way of hoping that PAX's weight would get the guy to shut up. The rest of the direct correspondence between Gabe and Paul was pretty civil.

But his wife and his 10 children are now starving and on the street. Where they are being pelted with shit and stuff apparently. Also, they are dead.

The Mayor of Boston Doorman of the Community Center has his back though.

Sullichin

I wish people would just let this thread die. The guy has had enough and has learned his lesson.

No one in this thread is supporting personally attacking this guy, ie calling his house and making death threats like he said is supposedly happening. We're just talking about the events that continue to happen. And it doesn't seem like he learned a lesson at all. Hes kinda just like.. well I wish that didn't happen to me.

I think piranha is trolling you guys :D
since he posted this earlier...
"Oh my! Death threats on the family"
"Not true"
"Oh my! Private information made public!"
"That didn't happen"
"Oh my! He's had enough, he's apologized!"
"He apologized for being caught, not the same"
"Oh my! Nobody deserves this!"
"He said in the original email I hope you post this"
"Oh my! Let it rest! Can we move on!"
"Don't click on the thread? There's only one on the entirety of GAF"
"Look at me, I'm attacking somebody's Facebook from mother's basement!!!!! And then tonight I'm going to sit in a park and shit myself while yelling at rich people to give me free money!!!!!"
"Dude ... what the ... ?"
"We're just bullying bullies who bully now you bullies!"
"You obviously haven't read the thread."

Ketch

I don't understand how anyone can feel bad for this guy. He's getting hate mail because he's an asshole. I wish all assholes got hate mail.... like some sort of karmic balance. Treat others like you get treated... or you are what you eat... or something. I don't know.

I agree that people should stop harassing him at this point. His reputation was destroyed, and that's the appropriate result of being a dick and screwing people over. It doesn't need to go on beyond that.

No, the appropriate result is he learns that being an asshole is bad and that he should stop acting that way. It doesn't matter if he ends up homeless alone on the streets with no food/water/clothing if he's still talking shit to strangers and acting like he's A #1 Duke of New York then he still hasn't learned anything and deserves continued internet justice.

RagnarokX

I like how he is incapable of giving a genuine apology.

"I'm sorry! If I had known the guy I was insulting was important I wouldn't have acted like a jerk!"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I like how among his half assed "I'm sorry you're important" apologies, there's not even a hint of an apology to the customer.

Now assuming the SOB isn't lying then that's without a doubt going too fucking far. Shit on him sure but if he's not full of shit, targeting his wife and kid is with death threats is without a doubt beyond fucking insane and crossing a line.

And yet there he is right back to being a douchebag. Oh You didn't hurt me. HAHAHA. Fucking prick.

Again not an apology. Oh if I wasn't such a dumbshit and knew who I was going up against I wouldn't have been a prick. Oh and he goes on to talk shit about how Penny Arcade handled it. What a piece of work.

Oh yes it was meant to impress. He's so full of shit.

Oh bullshit. He even fucking told them fine go ahead. Like he didn't know it was going to be made public. Mike even fucking told him it was going on the site.

Wow. Dumbass doesn't learn a thing. Gee I might go to PAX East and advertise I'm the jackass that got me and the product I represent banned from it. After reading this I have absolutely fucking no respect for the son of a bitch.

bu bu bu but this shouldn't have happened! People took this too far!

jcm

As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the benign indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again. For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my internet lynching and that they greet me with cries of hate.

That book changed my life.

Top Bottom