• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4: Arena |OT| Midnight's Just Around The Corner

The only thing I don't consistently do is 2B, and that's because I'm not confident enough to pull off the j.B j.B 5C 214A followup. I should rematch his matches again though, cause he seems to have a good handle on throwing out the weaver traps after a knockdown, which tend to blow up in my face.

2B is something I added to my repertoire recently since I had neglected to punish jump ins.

It's very useful for punishing jump ins and as part of a block string because you can jump cancel off of it and do random stuff.

I'm getting to the point where I can combo off of almost anything I hit with.

In that sense it reminded me of the late Blazblue days where people did like half life combo's all day online.

I wonder if P4:A will reach that point.

I'm going from pure max character potential only none of that ease of use crap with it. Go watch Denpa and get back to me.

Would you say that is because of the player or because of the character? Stunedge makes yukiko look high tier as well.

mine, order doesn't matter.

Basically
S: Aigis, Mitsu
A+: Teddie, Yosuke
A: Yu, Chie
B+: Naoto, Akihiko
B: Lab, Slab, Yukiko
B-: Kanji and Eliz.

all based on the tools they have. Of course this could be highly inaccurate since its kind of early in the game's lifespan.

GorillaJu

Not that people are dying to hear the thrilling conclusion of my story of P4A an the horrible lag I had, but I must have just started trying on a bad night. Perhaps the servers were holding things up.

Gave it a shot again today and it's been fantastic. No lag at all and it's super fun to play. I even won. Once. Bahaha

I love the ! marks that tell you when you blocked but still were hit. Though two red !! Means unblockable, right? I kept getting murdered by a Yosuke who was hitting me with what seemed way too quick to be unblockable.

Either way I'm glad I can finally enjoy the game. Need to find a way to open people up with Mitsuru, right now I'm really spamming a simple mix up I saw on T-Locs excellent Mitsuru Tutorial : 5A, 5A, 5B, sweep - either finish the sweep for a low or feint it and then grab. It's super easy for a newb like me and I can really harass people with it, especially in the corner. And I've drilled myself on the anti-air 3700 dmg combo to the point I can maybe do it in my sleep. The only problem is that I've never hit someone with an anti-air. D:

Ken

Not that people are dying to hear the thrilling conclusion of my story of P4A an the horrible lag I had, but I must have just started trying on a bad night. Perhaps the servers were holding things up.

Gave it a shot again today and it's been fantastic. No lag at all and it's super fun to play. I even won. Once. Bahaha

I love the ! marks that tell you when you blocked but still were hit. Though two red !! Means unblockable, right? I kept getting murdered by a Yosuke who was hitting me with what seemed way too quick to be unblockable.

Either way I'm glad I can finally enjoy the game. Need to find a way to open people up with Mitsuru, right now I'm really spamming a simple mix up I saw on T-Locs excellent Mitsuru Tutorial : 5A, 5A, 5B, sweep - either finish the sweep for a low or feint it and then grab. It's super easy for a newb like me and I can really harass people with it, especially in the corner. And I've drilled myself on the anti-air 3700 dmg combo to the point I can maybe do it in my sleep. The only problem is that I've never hit someone with an anti-air. D:

He has an air unblockable where he swirls his kunais in the air while standing. Maybe it was that.

Stops a lot of my air options as Labrys.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
You're low tier.

NO U.

I need to finish up story mode someday... :( I keep wanting to do it but remember it kinda drags because of too few fights and just give up on the idea...

totowhoa

Banned
NO U.

I need to finish up story mode someday... :( I keep wanting to do it but remember it kinda drags because of too few fights and just give up on the idea...

I play story mode when I'm bored and don't really feel like playing a game but don't know what else to do, heh. 20 or 30 minutes here and there... Slowly getting through it all

You've gotta be kidding me. If it's the one Im talking about I might as well drop Aigis now:

5AA > 22B > j.C(1) > 236CD > j.B > j.2B > land > 214A > 5B > 236C > 214A > 236D [DM:4263/SP:8%(-25%)]

Most people in the dustloop thread can't even do it in an actual match.

What are the BnB 4k combos?

Don't learn that one first. The one you want to learn is already starting from orgia mode. Sweep > orgia boost j.B > j.C > (land) > 5B > j.B > j.C (1 hit), 236C+D (SB Megido Fire), (land), (delay) > 214A > j.B > jc > j.B > j.C (2 hits) > 236D. Does around 4.5k and it's her bnb. Uses 25 meter. If you're low in orgia meter by the end of the combo, or if you just need that EXTRA damage to finish an opponent, you can end with B+D. I wouldn't recommend it if you have orgia meter for the 2nd set of mixups though.

If I don't have 25 meter, I do sweep > orgia boost j.B > j.C > 5B > j.B > j.C (1 hit) > 236D > 5B > j.B > j.2B. Then you have another setup and you have 25 meter.

Its not an orgia mode combo, it's a combo that starts from non orgia mode and goes into orgia mode. The one I posted is the only one that does above 4k dmg.

Don't think that you need to go from non-orgia to orgia mode in a combo. She has tons of combos that ends her in oki setups. The most basic one is 2AAA > jc > j.B > 22A. And you're in perfect distance to do some mixups/baits.

edit: Also, that combo is bad because it's distance dependent, which means that it's not a good first combo to learn. Learn the one you're going to be using the most. Just because a combo does low damage doesn't mean that it's a bad combo. Some combos end in a favorable oki setups, which Aigis has TONS for. This doesn't mean that the combo you posted is bad, it's just that you wouldn't normally learn as your first one. I would be lying if I told you I never do that one.

edit 2: I just read the combo again. That combo sucks. Don't learn it. Also, have no idea how you can connect 214A from j.2B.

GorillaJu

So Aigis and Mitsuru are the best, and Liz is one of the worst?

That's opposite from my experience. It must just be me falling for gimmicks, because Elizabeth players own me, and I've not had any specific trouble with Aigis. Or maybe Japanese players just do it differently.

So Aigis and Mitsuru are the best, and Liz is one of the worst?

That's opposite from my experience. It must just be me falling for gimmicks, because Elizabeth players own me, and I've not had any specific trouble with Aigis. Or maybe Japanese players just do it differently.

Aigis is definitely S tier. I actually think she's the best character in the game. Mitsuru and Yu are RIGHT behind them though. Followed closely by Naoto.

Also, does anyone want to play?

Onemic

Don't learn that one first. The one you want to learn is already starting from orgia mode. Sweep > orgia boost j.B > j.C > (land) > 5B > j.B > j.C (1 hit), 236C+D (SB Megido Fire), (land), (delay) > 214A > j.B > jc > j.B > j.C (2 hits) > 236D. Does around 4.5k and it's her bnb. Uses 25 meter. If you're low in orgia meter by the end of the combo, or if you just need that EXTRA damage to finish an opponent, you can end with B+D. I wouldn't recommend it if you have orgia meter for the 2nd set of mixups though.

If I don't have 25 meter, I do sweep > orgia boost j.B > j.C > 5B > j.B > j.C (1 hit) > 236D > 5B > j.B > j.2B. Then you have another setup and you have 25 meter.

Don't think that you need to go from non-orgia to orgia mode in a combo. She has tons of combos that ends her in oki setups. The most basic one is 2AAA > jc > j.B > 22A. And you're in perfect distance to do some mixups/baits.

edit: Also, that combo is bad because it's distance dependent, which means that it's not a good first combo to learn. Learn the one you're going to be using the most. Just because a combo does low damage doesn't mean that it's a bad combo. Some combos end in a favorable oki setups, which Aigis has TONS for. This doesn't mean that the combo you posted is bad, it's just that you wouldn't normally learn as your first one. I would be lying if I told you I never do that one.

edit 2: I just read the combo again. That combo sucks. Don't learn it. Also, have no idea how you can connect 214A from j.2B.

I've managed to do the combo once in training mode. It's possible but really fucking hard, as its super dependent on timing, height, and the number of bullets used with 5AA. I dropped it and was learning this one last night that's pretty easy to do:

5AA>22B>J.C> QCF CD > J.B>2B>A cannon >Jump A >Jump A> Jump C >QCF D >BC

does 3.7 - 4k and you can drop the BC for an oki setup. I'll learn that other combo you posted though. What are some setups you can do after you land the combo? I'm guessing go into orgia and crossup or something?

Aigis is definitely S tier. I actually think she's the best character in the game. Mitsuru and Yu are RIGHT behind them though. Followed closely by Naoto.

Also, does anyone want to play?

please body me with your based Aigis, I wanna see how she moves around.

GorillaJu

Aigis and Mitsuru were my first choice characters to learn, but I'm pretty terrible at execution so it seems Mitsuru is a better fit for me. That combo you guys are talking about sounds like pure fucking insanity. Mitsuru's are easy, for sure. They're like SFXT combos.

GorillaJu

Aigis combos aren't as difficult as you might think at first glance, you can mash that shit out, it's all very lenient.

So who are the more execution-heavy characters, generally speaking? Akihiko looks rough to me, jsut from what I've seen other people doing. And Shadow Lablys appears difficult.

Kanji looks pretty easy. Lablys looks cool, for sure.

"Is this the Nu/Mitsu talking?"

Mitsu combos are all very timing based, especially with canceling with the charge moves, or OTGing after B droit in the corner.

GorillaJu

Mitsu combos are all very timing based, especially with canceling with the charge moves, or OTGing after B droit in the corner.

Yeah, timing the charge on 2B after a 2D is difficult. I find I have good luck just using the tiniest charge. If I do a full charge I almost always miss the sweep after.

Onemic

After messing with Aigis, I find her combos to be a lot harder than mitsu. But then again maybe that's because I spent the first week of the game just sitting in training room with her getting her corner and throw combos down.

And ggs proto, It'll be a while until I learn to be competent with Aigis. It looks like I'll have to put away my mitsu for a while and level up aigis exclusively for a bit to see any gains with her. It'll totally be worth it though, I so want to give people the touch of death that Aigis seems to have.

Well... this is off to a great start. I know Pro is just thinking "eh, he's garbage, I'll just spam sweep."

Nah, I'm actually testing some things. Aigis has the best sweep (pretty damn good reach, almost no recovery and you can orgia boost out of it) in the game. If I'm spamming, it's usually when I'm trying something out.

After messing with Aigis, I find her combos to be a lot harder than mitsu. But then again maybe that's because I spent the first week of the game just sitting in training room with her getting her corner and throw combos down.

And ggs proto, It'll be a while until I learn to be competent with Aigis. It looks like I'll have to put away my mitsu for a while and level up aigis exclusively for a bit to see any gains with her. It'll totally be worth it though, I so want to give people the touch of death that Aigis seems to have.

GGs! You only really need ONE combo, since that one combo comes from anywhere.

Onemic

Nah, I'm actually testing some things. Aigis has the best sweep (pretty damn good reach, almost no recovery and you can orgia boost out of it) in the game. If I'm spamming, it's usually when I'm trying something out.

GGs! You only really need ONE combo, since that one combo comes from anywhere.

Is it that same combo you posted or a different one?

MechaX

In the words of George Costanza, I'm going to leave on a high note and go back to the lab. GGs Pro.

I still need to figure out a way how to not suck lead in matches, and actually not panic and start going into panic auto combo mode.

Edit: Ah shit, I should have saved that double Raid fail too.

Shito

My "problem" with Mitsuru is that I'm really not good at "clean inputs", so I mess a lot of my combos because of her chargeable B -- not coup droit, but her B normals that you can all charge up to delay them and make them hit harder.
I often double tap the button, or left it pressed too long, and bam, dropped combo. :(

Her bnbs being based on juggling is also something a bit hard getting used to, I find.

So what about combos when you're not in orgia mode? what are her BnB's there? And what are her general blockstrings in orgia and non-orgia mode?

When you're not in orgia mode, your goal is to get into orgia mode, or if you don't have meter, to stall to recharge.

Top Bottom