• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

I'd love a level 3 Super where you grab someone and have 2 or so seconds to aim a throw at the other players. Guaranteed one kill if you connect with the grab, 2 kills if you aim correctly (with no obstacles) and 3 kills if you line it up and bide your time properly

His Super 1 is more effective than his super 2. This is starting to irritate/concern me. Super 1's are just more effective than Super 3's. The way they made it sound, I thought I'd be missing a lot of my super 1's...That said, I played yeterday where I knew a ST was waiting to land his S1 on me (time was almost up). Played a cat/mouse game where I tried to get close and run away. Eventually he fell for it and missed. Bahaha. It's all in the mind.

used Radec solely last time I played and continued to just use his S1 to prove a point: His S1 is more effective than his S2 and S3. I am too worried about this for the rest of the roster. I mean, what's really the point of S3's? I really do think Super 3's should be longer for Radec, Sly, and ST. Maybe I'm seeing terrible execution but at best, a S3 nets 5 kills for Radec (spawn protection being a hurdle). Yet, I've been using his S1's to net 2-3 kills fairly consistently... amd I get at least 2-3 S3's. Bad opponents? Maybe, but if they were a challenge, it'd further turn me off from saving to a super 3.

I don't know what you are doing to get 3 kills with his level 1. I can barely get 2 with it and I have an easy time dodging it myself. Perhaps it is bad players. Are you just firing it right next to a crowd?

KevinCow

Banned
I've gotten 2 or 3 kills with Sweet Tooth's level 1 on occasion, but it's entirely luck. There's not really any way to plan where it's going to go, and it takes so long from the time you do it to the time it explodes that they'd probably be somewhere else even if there was.

It's really awesome when it does happen, though.

I don't know what you are doing to get 3 kills with his level 1. I can barely get 2 with it and I have an easy time dodging it myself. Perhaps it is bad players. Are you just firing it right next to a crowd?

Yup! R2, R2, bam. Way too easy to do, I really think tha insta-blast, or having to have to manually lock on is much better. It works 1v1 too since Radec can knock back opponents at close range and can easily lock and kill. Much better than making it yet another mosh-pit easy kill.

Yup! R2, R2, bam. Way too easy to do, I really think tha insta-blast, or having to have to manually lock on is much better. It works 1v1 too since Radec can knock back opponents at close range and can easily lock and kill. Much better than making it yet another mosh-pit easy kill.

Hmmm the crowd kills are almost entirely the fault of players bunching up. Myself I try to be aware of this at all times and fight to separate from the crowd. As for the lock on in one vs one, its actually very easy to dodge. And changing elevations and forcing it into a platform makes it to where it won't hit you either.

From my perspective I have barely been killed by it and have a hard time getting multi kills my self with it.

Funniest thing happened in my last match. I pulled off PaRappa's level 3 super, which as you all know kills everyone automatically. So as soon as it finishes, everybody dies, the level is still and it's dead silent...

and then PaRappa blurts out "You are a chicken, from the kitchen."

I recognise the lyric, but I never heard him say that in Battle Royale before. The timing was exceptional, but I'm a bit unsure of the context of his quip. For the wtf! factor though, it had me rolling.

Funniest thing happened in my last match. I pulled off PaRappa's level 3 super, which as you all know kills everyone automatically. So as soon as it finishes, everybody dies, the level is still and it's dead silent...

and then PaRappa blurts out "You are a chicken, from the kitchen."

I recognise the lyric, but I never heard him say that in Battle Royale before. The timing was exceptional, but I'm a bit unsure of the context of his quip. For the wtf! factor though, it had me rolling.

Is it one of his taunts? Do characters have more then one? I never really use taunts.

KevinCow

Banned
People play really stupidly right now.

Like, hey, notice how the last three times we bunched up, the fourth guy jumped in and got a triple kill? Maybe we should stop bunching up like that. Also maybe we should start killing the guy with 9 kills.

And when there's a guy sitting on the outside and spamming some move to build free meter, be it PaRappa and his boom box, Radec and his rifle, Kratos and his arrows, Sweet Tooth and his molotovs, whatever, people seem really slow to bring the fight to that guy. Though that's not so bad for me since I'm usually the Sweet Tooth spamming the molotovs.

Is it one of his taunts? Do characters have more then one? I never really use taunts.

I've used his taunts lots of times and I've never heard him say it.

Like, hey, notice how the last three times we bunched up, the fourth guy jumped in and got a triple kill? Maybe we should stop bunching up like that. Also maybe we should start killing the guy with 9 kills.

And when there's a guy sitting on the outside and spamming some move to build free meter, be it PaRappa and his boom box, Radec and his rifle, Kratos and his arrows, Sweet Tooth and his molotovs, whatever, people seem really slow to bring the fight to that guy. Though that's not so bad for me since I'm usually the Sweet Tooth spamming the molotovs.

And I'm the PaRappa in the corner of the stage spamming the boom box for all it's worth xD

Bingo! It's hard to know how balanced the game is right now because folks play like this. My favorite is when everyone fights in the corner of Dreamscape and radec is standing outside of it just dropping nades lol. Also I feel like I am the only one blocking and evading in 90% of the matches and the guy playing as Kratos looks bewildered that he can't hit me and I catch him with a combo.

That said I have played matches where there are some people blocking and not bunching up and the fun factor only increases for me because the depth of this game really starts to become apparent as it becomes more of a thinking man's game.

Thinking about Sir Dan, the original MediEvil is a perfect game to remake

You are in luck!

250px-MediEvil_Resurrection.jpg

They should bring a lot of these series back. I would kill for Ape Escape 4 or a Parappa/Lammy collection with HD assets.

Man Ape Escape 4 would be sick. I would settle for a HD (or PS2 Classic) version of Ape Escape 3. For whatever reason, when it came out I loved Ape Escape 3 haha
You know what my first Ape Escape game was? Pumped and Primed haha it actually rocked

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Man, I am seriously getting sick of the Sly lightning roll spammers.

I was in a match with 3 (three!!) Sly's last night, and that's all they did the entire fricking match! GOD! That really kills the mood, man.

I'm still home sick today, but I think I'll try and get a game in once the servers start up.

The game is a lot of fun, but the single move spammers are a nuisance. I imagine it'll be much, much better once the full game is out, and we can play with our dedicated friends, who probably have more of an interest in having a real battle.

I had a shit run last night again because of that. I don't mind losing, but when the loss is at the hands of cheap tactics, it sucks the fun out of the game (any game, not just this one).

They should bring a lot of these series back. I would kill for Ape Escape 4 or a Parappa/Lammy collection with HD assets.

Parappa, Medievil, Ape Escape, these are the IPs that would do well on PSVita. Blows my mind Sony hasn't done this yet.

Hmmm the crowd kills are almost entirely the fault of players bunching up. Myself I try to be aware of this at all times and fight to separate from the crowd. As for the lock on in one vs one, its actually very easy to dodge. And changing elevations and forcing it into a platform makes it to where it won't hit you either.

From my perspective I have barely been killed by it and have a hard time getting multi kills my self with it.

Well, it's a super 1 that should require more thought to use. They can tune up the locking, and besides, as a Radec player you should be knocking back your opponents, which gives u ample time to land that Super 1 (from the knockback to the landing, to the recovery). maybe that's too strict, but Ur concept of exploding on impact just sounds like a better idea to me. If I ever play u, I will try to spam the crap out of my super 1, maybe players arent paying attention which leads me to Cow:

Right? I play smart if I do say so myself-- go after the guy who is clearly ahead-- in fact, sometimes that's my goal: use super 1's on the leading guy. The quickest thing most have learned is to go after the radec player. it always makes me lawl to see radec casually stay back and see the rest of us inch in on him. such a fun feeling. *Land* *Snipe* *Thrown back* Repeat. Until eventually we kick his ass

I do think that if people played smart, then problems like super balance can be balanced out-- I mean, if there's a Sly player in a game, we'd all go after him. I hope to see things like that, especially with death causing -1 points. Of course this requires randoms to be smart enough to recognize something like that. Im not worried tbh, but I do think super 1's and 2's seem to be more effective than super 3's

Man, I am seriously getting sick of the Sly lightning roll spammers.

I had a shit run last night again because of that. I don't mind losing, but when the loss is at the hands of cheap tactics, it sucks the fun out of the game (any game, not just this one).

My solution:

Spamming reduces the amount of AP you earn to the point that it doesnt earn u any AP at all. They did this in wrestling games and it worked well IMO

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It kind of amuses me that in both this and Smash, the most commonly spammed move is lightning related.
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, I think it's because lightning moves tend to always have a stun affect attached to them, which allows the person to pull off lightning moves again, and again and again on the same person.

Personally, I think lightning moves should do no damage (ie, no AP gain), but still do the stun affect. This would force the player to follow up the stun with some actual moves to gain AP. It would also give the other player some opportunity to counter/evade/etc.

Of course, in the case of Cole, his lightning moves WOULD gain AP. I mean, that's all the guy has!

The match I was a few minutes ago had two Slys, Radec, and me as Kratos, and it was incredibly annoying dealing with both of them using their electric stun attacks over and over again.

The match after that was three Kratos' and a Radec, and the Radec just kept spamming the sniper shot until he hit level 3, then he got 4 kills before time ran out and won. Really cheap and annoying. As I said before, I don't mind when I don't win, or if I come in last, but I at least want to have a fun match, with some back and forth, countering, evading, close calls, sweet set ups to kill, etc. I was having matches like that before, but now people are just spamming shit with no strategy or thought. They just see they can get AP really quick with that one move, and go hog wild with it.

I admit, it WAS rather satisfying to finally get behind Radec, grab him, and fling him across the map. Sadly, I didn't get a chance to kill him.

Noi

I love fighting sniper rifle spamming Radecs as Radec because they're totally free to sticky grenades, by far my favorite move in his roster.

If I don't have a sticky grenade stuck to every other player at once, I'm not playing Radec right.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

Seriously!

In the last match I played with the 3 Kratos' and the 1 Radec, I was TRYING to get to Radec and deal with him, because I saw that he was just spamming his sniper attack, and building up to what I knew was his level 3. I would try to cross the map and get to him (it was Hades; a perfect fricking stage for Radec to own on), but oh, ho ho! The other 2 Kratos' would NOT get off my fucking ass! I'd try and dodge, but then get capped by Radec's sniper shot. I'd try and take to the air, only to get hit by a Kratos that came after me.

I just don't get how hard it is to watch the other players, and develop a strategy to take out the guy who is leading in kills.

Radec didn't die once that match.

Seriously!

In the last match I played with the 3 Kratos' and the 1 Radec, I was TRYING to get to Radec and deal with him, because I saw that he was just spamming his sniper attack, and building up to what I knew was his level 3. I would try to cross the map and get to him (it was Hades; a perfect fricking stage for Radec to own on), but oh, ho ho! The other 2 Kratos' would NOT get off my fucking ass! I'd try and dodge, but then get capped by Radec's sniper shot. I'd try and take to the air, only to get hit by a Kratos that came after me.

I just don't get how hard it is to watch the other players, and develop a strategy to take out the guy who is leading in kills.

Radec didn't die once that match.

"This Battlefield will do"

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Case in point:

JSnake/Stein, you were fricking rocking as Radec just now. I was TRYING to take the fight to you, but the Sly and PaRappa just wouldn't get off my back. Even when you got kill after kill, they NEVER tried to take you out and reduce your lead!

Good match, though! It actually wasn't annoying fighting you. Lol.

Of course, it just froze on me, so I have to restart!

Haha gotcha Fig! We never play each other either :/

And thanks! I was trying to rush opponents a bit that time. Radec is so fun to play as I think. So different from normal characters in these kinds of games

Noi

I know it's a beta thing, but it cracks me up when no one does their victory pose, or when it's the person who got 4th place who does it.

"Fuck yeah, I lost horribly!"

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Haha gotcha Fig! We never play each other either :/

And thanks! I was trying to rush opponents a bit that time. Radec is so fun to play as I think. So different from normal characters in these kinds of games

Yeah, I like your Radec! And I think this is the first time we fought! I'm a big fan of Kratos at the moment, so I'm sticking with him.

I just wish the other people we were fighting against hadn't ganged up on me the entire match! It was really frustrating, especially when it was clear that you had the lead and were dominating.

I'm thinking 2v2 matches are going to be awesome intense. Like a tug of war. 2v2 timed, and 2v2 stock should be damn awesome.

Also in that match: Parappa doing his one level 3 landed him 2nd place *facepalm*

I know, right? I sucked that match, but I was trying to ignore the other guys and focus on keeping you from destroying us. I failed. Lol.

Top Bottom