• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

OMG! Remember when I suggested Super 3's should play epic music??

Pulled out Kratos' 3 and some epic Kratos music played!

Going to see if it works for Radec now XD

Everything really pops, and I feel like some moves are easier/snappier (ST's chainsaw swing, Kratos' air multi-stab)

YUP! Radec has it too
Sweet Tooth level 3 plays music, too.

VanWinkle

Okay wow, I wasn't going to buy this game, but I just played a match on Vita and it completely convinced me. It was an absolute blast and probably the best IQ on any Vita game to date.

Grokbu

Google translate doesn't have FGC :(
Oh, sorry. F = Forward, U = Up, D = Down, atk1 = square, atk 2 = triangle, atk3 = circle, j = jump.

For example with j.f+atk2, I mean "jumping forward triangle". Haven't seen anyone use atk1 etc. for combos though, so I made that up.

Noi

So long full screen sticky grenades. You were great while you lasted. On the upside, hellooooo buffed up everyothermove and forward Square, sniper rifle hitconfirm.

Oh, sorry. F = Forward, U = Up, D = Down, atk1 = square, atk 2 = triangle, atk3 = circle, j = jump.

For example with j.f+atk2, I mean "jumping forward triangle". Haven't seen anyone use atk1 etc. for combos though, so I made that up.

Thanks sensei.
I felt that sly got nerfed slightly but i'm not giving up in him not yet.
By nerfed slightly you mean from god tier to top tier? ^^

libregkd

...So did we ever figure out what influenced the 'level" next to each character on the select screen? 3 Matches in and I already have a level 18 Sweet Tooth <_<

kewlmyc

Been playing as Kratos for a while. His best bet seems to be just waiting for Level 3 and going balls out. I've won nearly all of my matches with this strategy (if you even call it that). I'll try out some more characters soon (most people online seem to be playing as Radec for some reason).

The Vita version is pretty fun too. Consider me impressed. You've one over a customer Sony. I'm still pissed at Donte's alternate not being original Dante. Donte's alternate just being him with his jacket off seems lazy as fuck.

Been playing as Kratos for a while. His best bet seems to be just waiting for Level 3 and going balls out. I've won nearly all of my matches with this strategy (if you even call it that). I'll try out some more characters soon (most people online seem to be playing as Radec for some reason).

The Vita version is pretty fun too. Consider me impressed. You've one over a customer Sony. I'm still pissed at Donte's alternate not being original Dante. Donte's alternate just being him with his jacket off seems lazy as fuck.

Oh trust me, his Super 3 is dodgeable ;)

Pro tip: time you dodges correctly and you can avoid supers. Works well for Kratos and Parappa's super 2. Glad u like it!

berva

Neo Member
Kinda average, boring gameplay, hard to see combat on vita screen although it runs super smooth. Will give this one a miss.

I dunno if it works anymore but in the old private beta Kratos could get almost guaranteed kills with level 1 super if you use it right after using a spear jab in the air.

Also he has more alternatives unlockable. One video today has him with OG Vergils blue jacket. Of course its best not to get any hopes up for OG Dante skin lol.

Grokbu

Hm, maybe I should post it here instead.

Found a 145AP combo with Parappa: f+atk1, u+atk1(short version), double jump, j.f+atk2, u+atk1(long version), double jump, j.atk3, j.atk1atk1.

You can sort of do the same thing from u.throw instead of f+atk1 as a starter, except it only gives you 95AP. Do note that timing is a bit different, and by the second u+atk1, the oponent always seems to be behind you.

Using j.f+atk2 as a starter nets you 145AP as well.
To add to this, you can use d+atk1 as a starter as well. Same thing with atk3, d+atk1, u+atk1...etc. You have to omit the j.atk3 on this last one though.

Both of these give you 145AP.

Noi

Hm, maybe I should post it here instead.

Found a 145AP combo with Parappa: f+atk1, u+atk1(short version), double jump, j.f+atk2, u+atk1(long version), double jump, j.atk3, j.atk1atk1.

You can sort of do the same thing from u.throw instead of f+atk1 as a starter, except it only gives you 95AP. Do note that timing is a bit different, and by the second u+atk1, the oponent always seems to be behind you.

Using j.f+atk2 as a starter nets you 145AP as well.

It's weird for this game, but LMH might be better notation than Atk 1,2 and 3. Or hell, calling the Triangle and Circle stuff by their names since they're all technically special moves.

I've noticed that the timing for dodges is much better now. I'm actually able to dodge Kratos and Sly's Level 1 on reaction now, where as before if they used it in front of you, you were SOL.

you fight for 3 minutes - have no indication on the score, can only score with supers, will get old very fast.

Congrats, you just described 2/3 of Brawl's "Fight Anyone".

kewlmyc

Oh trust me, his Super 3 is dodgeable ;)

Pro tip: time you dodges correctly and you can avoid supers. Works well for Kratos and Parappa's super 2. Glad u like it!

Hopefully I never run into you online. :p

Playing this game makes me wish I never sold my Wii. I know you guys hate the SSB comparison, but man this game makes me miss Melee and Brawl. Battle Royale is still a fun game though. The fact that I can get both the PS3 and Vita versions together is awesome.

Grokbu

It's weird for this game, but LMH might be better notation than Atk 1,2 and 3. Or hell, calling the Triangle and Circle stuff by their names since they're all technically special moves.
Yeah, not sure what one should go with. LMH sound like it'd be best, if you ask me. It's short, and there should be no confusion, like what would happen if you used 123 (confusion between it and number notation for direction etc.).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah, not sure what one should go with. LMH sound like it'd be best, if you ask me. It's short, and there should be no confusion, like what would happen if you used 123 (confusion between it and number notation for direction etc.).

Yeah, I would go with LMH too.

Hopefully I never run into you online. :p

Playing this game makes me wish I never sold my Wii. I know you guys hate the SSB comparison, but man this game makes me miss Melee and Brawl. Battle Royale is still a fun game though. The fact that I can get both the PS3 and Vita versions together is awesome.
I doubt many care about comparisons, it's when you tell us this is a ripoff we will grab our swords!

This game makes me want to forget Brawl and hope for Smash 4 to take some notes. Brawl was imo really really great for not too casual but not too hardcore fan like me. Online being absolutely terrible ruined otherwise excellent game.

Noi

Yeah, number notation isn't that great for games like these with as simple stuff like tilt actions and neutral actions. And Atk just leaves most people reading it confused (though notation in general does that, haha).

Tagg9

Just played a bit of 2v2 with my younger sister (she's 13, I'm 22) and somehow we absolutely slaughtered almost everyone we played against. Beginner's luck, I'm thinking.

I didn't play a lot of the prior beta, but I will definitely be playing this a lot. I seem to be best as Kratos, although I kinda like Sly's invisibility as well.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
PSY&#12539;S;43291343 said:
We'll probably need a new beta thread. The OP is too outdated.

I agreed. We should have new thread, which would be better choice.

Edited: Time for me to give that doggy a second chance.

I agreed. We should have new thread, which would be better choice.

We need a list of changes, Im working on a log myself.

-Tutorial mode added
-Bolder graphics, things really pop
-Sharper player indicators and player name when you respawn
-AP meter drains when using timed Supers
-Sly's taunt nerfed
-Snappier moves
-Super 3's now play character-related theme song
-End game character UI is animated
-Character specific ranking now levels much faster
-Radec's sticky grenade feels nerfed
-Sly's Super 2 seems to fire multi-burst bombs as opposed to dropping one at a time
-Announcer callouts for Super levelling

That's what I seemed to notice, at least.

damn this game is hard or i just suck lol

You will start off very crappy, but you need to stick with it and learn. Make sure to dodge, roll, and memorize moves ASAP so you know the best situations for them. It's easy to think of one or two moves to spam, but then you start remembering those aerial attacks that can pop off some pesky guy in the air, and then you recall the escape moves that you get out of a vicinity, the move that targets multiple enemies, etc.

Anyone know how to do Kratos' counter?

Thought it was like down circle or something

B.O.O.M

Played for an hour or so

SO DAMN GOOD!

visuals, sound, etc etc all feel improved. Played with a friend (2vs2) and had a great time

I think Slys lvl 2 duration is shorter now. It kinda bugs me..but not too much

BUT COME ON SB! :p You should have kept his original taunt for this beta...

VanWinkle

I hadn't really followed this since the reveal, but the graphics seem way better now. I remember the lack of color being a problem, and maybe it's the OLED on the Vita, but the graphics are really sharp and saturated. I was surprised.

Grokbu

I hadn't really followed this since the reveal, but the graphics seem way better now. I remember the lack of color being a problem, and maybe it's the OLED on the Vita, but the graphics are really sharp and saturated. I was surprised.
I agree. It looks really good on Vita.

Noi

yeah every game i been in at least 2 people use it
love, presentation and graphics, but if characters are not balanced i am out will see how it goes

The current balance on all of the betas has been really good. Outside of Sly in the original beta, each character has their own pros and cons and no obvious cheap stuff. It's yet to be seen if the balance will hold up with 20 characters, but so far so good.

Fat Princess doesn't have the unblockable butt stomp anymore. Praise be to Yevon.

Top Bottom