• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Beta Thread - Online as smooth as butter

B.O.O.M

I love playing as Kratos but I do not think he is overpowered. I absolutely hate his lvl 2...one of the weakest in the game imho

But Kratos and Sly ALL THE WAY BABY!

Wow the vita version is aaaaaamazzzzing.

Looks to be full Rez and 60 frames, holy crap. So smooth and looks just as good as the ps3 version.

The dpad is so much better on the vita so I may end up playing it primarily there instead of the ps3.

They desperately need to fix the online lobby system. Invites dont work and its difficult to figure out how you even invite friends to begin with

Ran rp

You will start off very crappy, but you need to stick with it and learn. Make sure to dodge, roll, and memorize moves ASAP so you know the best situations for them. It's easy to think of one or two moves to spam, but then you start remembering those aerial attacks that can pop off some pesky guy in the air, and then you recall the escape moves that you get out of a vicinity, the move that targets multiple enemies, etc.

Thought it was like down circle or something

His moves have been altered a bit in this beta.

SSReborn

I think they start matching you with better players based on your rank. I don't know but as I kept playing my opponents kept getting more skilled.

KalBalboa

Banned
Wow the vita version is aaaaaamazzzzing.

Looks to be full Rez and 60 frames, holy crap. So smooth and looks just as good as the ps3 version.

The dpad is so much better on the vita so I may end up playing it primarily there instead of the ps3.

They desperately need to fix the online lobby system. Invites dont work and its difficult to figure out how you even invite friends to begin with

I haven't had an issue with the lobby system yet, but that's just my experience from this and the previous beta.

One thing I want to know is if the PS3 version supports multiple PSN account logins. If not, it would always be better to bring your Vita over a friends so you can continue to unlock costumes and build stats for your personal save.

I love playing as Kratos but I do not think he is overpowered. I absolutely hate his lvl 2...one of the weakest in the game imho

But Kratos and Sly ALL THE WAY BABY!

Agreed, Kratos is not bad. His Super 2 requires a lot of timing, patience, and sometimes just luck. His Super 3 is magnificent, but can be completely wasted if you dont set yourself up from the get go. You cant just use it instantly, you need to wait for your opponents to get in the right place to guarantee a quick kill. Otherwise, the enemies begin to dodge the hell out, hide in Hades' pits, etc.

He is deadly at combos, I learned very easy with him, but there's always a workaround with every character, I love it.

Having way too much trouble keeping track of who's who in 2v2.

I think they said this is for the final build, but from what I remember, enemy indicators were supposed to be washed out compared to your indicator. Yet in this beta, all the players have the same, vivid indicators, which can be confusing. Fading out enemy indicators should be implemented.

I think they said this is for the final build, but from what I remember, enemy indicators were supposed to be washed out compared to your indicator. Yet in this beta, all the players have the same, vivid indicators, which can be confusing. Fading out enemy indicators should be implemented.
I really hope it's fixed. I was playing some matches with Kyon and we both had a bit of trouble keeping track of everything.

The beta wont let you disable the mic for some reason on mine. I think it's to test bandwidth requirements.
That's fucked.

WatTsu

Played a few rounds of the Vita version. It's a solid game, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna keep my preorder.

The actual game is very fast, silky smooth, and has a bit more punch than I was expecting. I still sorta prefer the feedback from Smash Bros, where when you knock someone out it feels like you really did. But this game is definitely trying to be more of its own thing, and have more of a deathmatch-type feel to it. I can respect that. It succeeds at what it is trying to do, and the more I play it the more unfair it feels to really compare it to anything else.

There's a couple other things I'm not crazy about - the menus are pretty bush league and it could use some additional polish here and there, but it is a beta and these things can be fixed without a lot of effort or money. I really want to see the story mode and the inevitable unlockable characters (because there have to be some).

Overall, I definitely enjoyed my time with it so far and I'll definitely keep playing the beta.

Kyon

Banned
GrimHeaper and I are UNSTOPPABLE come at us TBH you could NEVER!

We had trouble figuring out who was who. It was really annoying

Zen

Banned
Pretty darn good actually. I feel like there's isn't as much depth to it as Smash in a FFA setting, but 1v1 2v2 is going to be so intense and strategic. To say nothing of the fact that I now believe this game will shine in stock mode... though some level threes might be problematic, maybe they have a respawn invulnerability in stock.

One thing that takes getting use to is that it's a big more of a traditional fighter, sort of. So even at a casual level combo's seem to have greater importance, and with all of the moves, learning the characters.

It was hard as hell to keep track of myself when another Kratos was on screen though, so hopefully that indicator thing gets in the final product.

jrDev

ibxhPlWjjTGeLc.gif
O_O

*barf*

RedBoot

Gotta say, playing as Sly and conveniently vanishing whenever a player uses their level 3 is too fun. When I managed to avoid a Level 3 Kratos completely with that tactic, I think that's when I was sold on the game.

It does take a couple matches to get used to it, particularly learning how to follow yourself on the map so you don't get mixed up. The lack of a training mode (besides Parappa's) means you'll also spend a few matches getting the movesets down. But once that's all out of the way, it's a ton of fun.

Managed to win about six matches in a row with Sly (including one where I didn't die at all), so I think I'll start picking other characters next. The six here offer a pretty cool variety, can't wait to get access to the other 14 (or so).

I'm watching my friends play and one of them is using the vita as a controller while watching the screen. Reminds me of WiiU. lol. I didn't have much faith in this game before the beta but its amazing. I want more characters!

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Played my first beta matches an hour ago on the Vita.

Game looks so much better on my screen at home, as opposed to a brightly lit convention center! It felt superbly comfortable, and I can totally see myself playing it the most on the Vita, and only playing it on the PS3 when having company over for some tournaments.

I won my first match, but it took me a minute to get back into the groove as Kratos. I'm a little bummed that he is now limited to to using Icarus Lift only once per time in the air. In the first beta, it was damn effective at avoiding certain supers by lift spamming. Lol.

It takes a lot more skill to land a level 1 as Kratos now, but I was kind of prepared for that. It's now a move geared towards opportunists. You can pretty much see it coming a mile away, so you really have to pick your moment to use it.

I'm still in love with the combat, and it's hard to stop playing, but I had to, since the lag was making some people drop out of the match, and others teleporting out of range of attacks. Still, I had a great time, and the Vita version is just damn, damn impressive.

I didn't have any problems keeping track of my character either, even on the 5" screen. I think the camera was the perfect distance away at all times, shifting dynamically to follow me and the other action. The Hades stage looked particularly impressive, and the detail is just so good. I'm really impressed with how closely the PS3 and Vita versions look alike.

I'm watching my friends play and one of them is using the vita as a controller while watching the screen. Reminds me of WiiU. lol. I didn't have much faith in this game before the beta but its amazing. I want more characters!

Wait, so you can use the vita as a ps3 controller?

May end up doing that since the vita dpad is superb

Noi

Wait, so you can use the vita as a pa3 controller?

May end up doing that since the vita dpad is superb

He meant that they were playing in the same party while one of them played on the Vita version, not literally playing with the Vita as a controller. The Beta doesn't have local multiplayer!

Edit: Beaten. I tried to do the same in the old beta, but I didn't know how to mute the Vita version's mic, so it got annoying real quick. :(

Oh my god, picking double Sly with against people with mics is the greatest thing in gaming. They are just chatting and we both hold L1 so as soon as the match starts so we turn invisible. The reactions are too much. "Where did they go?!" "Did they load?"

Top Bottom