• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim-E

These are the times when I like Joe Biden the most.

image.php

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
89% in a poll is insane.

To me with 8.3% unemployment I think 80+ % is insane. That's some crazy enthusiasm that the Dems have right now.

I'd be scared if I were the GOP if unemployment hit 7.9% at anytime this year.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
From DailyKos, on the new Pew Poll:

But both GOP frontrunners are running well behind Barack Obama in general election matchups. Among all voters, Obama leads Romney by 12 points (54% to 42%) and Santorum by 18 points (57% to 39%). Obama’s advantage among women voters, while largely unchanged from a month ago, remains substantial – 20 points over Romney and 26 points over Santorum

As you dive into the numbers, a few things stand out clearly:

1. President Obama is beating Romney among men 49 to 46. Romney simply can't win a general election while losing men and losing women by 20 points as he is in this poll.

2. Romney is only beating Obama by 8 points among Whites, 52-44. For Romney to win, that number has to look a lot more like 60-40 or better. He's got to run up the score with Whites. Big time.

3. Romney's losing all people of color 83-13! SEVENTY POINTS! You simply can't win a general election with numbers like that while not simultaneously building up a huge advantage among Whites.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
From DailyKos, on the new Pew Poll:

That's why the GOP needs to change FAST. If they don't start appealing to minorities they'll be irrelevant in a decade or two.

Forget my two front teeth, Santa. Can I receive this as an early Christmas gift?

U.S. Officials Debate Speeding Afghan PulloutForgive me for not holding my breath. It'd be prudent to hasten the withdrawal. Although, I suspect Biden's proposal, which is the best option of the three, is unlikely to be chosen. Donilon's proposal is a terribly flawed alternative, but it's likely the only alternative with a realistic chance of being adopted.
I hope to understand one day what information the White House has that makes spending an additional day in Afghanistan a worthwhile proposition. It's insane.

I hope to understand one day what information the White House has that makes spending an additional day in Afghanistan a worthwhile proposition. It's insane.
I can sorta understand . . .
-Pulling out is viewed as 'losing'.
-It is a nice thing to 'nation build' in Afghanistan to help that forsaken place out
-Nice place to keep an eye on Iran and Pakistan from.

But despite those things, we need to get out because we don't have the money and the benefits are outweighed by the costs in blood, money, goodwill, etc.

Jackson50

These are the times when I like Joe Biden the most.
He's staked some spectacularly inane positions in the past-Gelb-Biden derp. But he's been closer to correct on Afghanistan since becoming VP. As I recall, he opposed the escalation in 2009 when it was being considered. Additionally, if Obama were to accelerate the withdrawal, it'd be a fairly transparent admission the surge was a mistake
WTF is that?
A step in the right direction.

"A woman must be married to go to the polls and her husband must accompany her into the booth to ensure that her silly woman mind doesn't make the wrong choice."

Not enough slut shaming.

"Only sluts and whores would go to the poll booth, and this is to vote free entitlement contraception abortions to themselves out of YOUR tax dollars"

markatisu

That's why the GOP needs to change FAST. If they don't start appealing to minorities they'll be irrelevant in a decade or two.

LOL GOP appeal to minorities.

That train left the station in the 70's for one of the big groups and the plane just took off for the other.

The only minorities they have in their pocket are old Cuban's and even that is shifting as younger Cuban's realize they don't really care about Castro or Cuba and see the GOP for what it is as a party.

The GOP made its bed with the Religious, the Old, and the White. All 3 of those make reaching out to minorities virtually impossible.

It actually sucks for Republicans imho, most of them I know and talk to do not identify with the party platform at all and are only R because they don't want to be D's.

Mr. Obama’s military commanders, meanwhile, want to maintain troops in Afghanistan as long as possible. If cuts have to be made, the commanders favor making them at the end of 2013, after the fighting season is largely finished. Any troop cuts made midyear would mean that those forces would not be available during the main fighting season, which runs from spring to early fall.

Aw shit, is it fighting season already? I completely missed spring training. And I haven't even gotten my season tickets yet.

Jackson50

why bring history into this conversation?

anyway re: US/Europe vs China in rare earth minerals... aren't we supposed to have a pretty good supply off of our shores? Why don't we mine them?
Now that I remember, I scoured the bookmarks on my work PC last evening and found a USGS report on domestic REE supply I had previously used.
Aw shit, is it fighting season already? I completely missed spring training. And I haven't even gotten my season tickets yet.
I'll reserve a seat for you.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The recent polls seem encouraging but these numbers might be more important. If folks think Obama is going to win anyway they'll probably stay home.

Out of the frying pan into the oven. Obama can't catch a break, this is going to be tough.

I dont see that happening at all.

The recent polls seem encouraging but these numbers might be more important. If folks think Obama is going to win anyway they'll probably stay home.

Out of the frying pan into the oven. Obama can't catch a break, this is going to be tough.
...I swear I just had this discussion with Ghal. "How confident are you that X will win" is a miserable, terrible, no-good, very bad way to predict potential behavior.

Just buy the $2.50 gas signs already man

bananas

Banned

Your act is wearing thin. Surely you can do better than that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

I don't agree with you in this case but I do believe that had something to do with Kerry losing. The media that morning and early afternoon were shouting from the rooftops about Kerry winning exit polls in swing states. I'm positive it convinced some dems to stay home and some GOP to go out and vote.

I don't agree with you in this case but I do believe that had something to do with Kerry losing. The media that morning and early afternoon were shouting from the rooftops about Kerry winning exit polls in swing states. I'm positive it convinced some dems to stay home and some GOP to go out and vote.
Kerry energized the base about as much as a bag of potatoes powering a nuclear plant.

GhaleonEB

Kerry energized the base about as much as a bag of potatoes powering a nuclear plant.

This is true, but he also has a point. IIRC, it's one of the reasons the networks now withhold exit poll results until after the polls have closed in those states, so as not to influence voters.

This is true, but he also has a point. IIRC, it's one of the reasons the networks now withhold exit poll results until after the polls have closed in those states, so as not to influence voters.

Holy shit, they were allowed to release exit polls before end of polls before? Who the heck thought that was a good idea?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Holy shit, they were allowed to release exit polls before end of polls before? Who the heck thought that was a good idea?

Why not? If someone wanted to take exit polls, I don't see why it should be illegal or frowned upon to report what is found, whether an independent or national source.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
Am I missing something here or do most of you want to keep pointing out Romney flip-flops when he needs to, while simultaneously ignoring Obama has more flip-flops than Miami beach?

I mean, talking about all Obama needs to do is play sound bites of Romney flip flopping, ignoring that this very tactic would backfire massively if Romney fired back, or mentioning how bad he is because he has changed his stance on different topics.

Obama lives in a very weak glass house when it comes to some of this stuff and if he's smart, he'll stay far away from throwing those stones. Better to stick to stuff like the economy improving and fighting the battle that the GOP will bring stating it improved despite him, not because. Stick to battles that are easier to win, not ones that make you look like a terrible hypocrite.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Am I missing something here or do most of you want to keep pointing out Romney flip-flops when he needs to, while simultaneously ignoring Obama has more flip-flops than Miami beach?

I mean, talking about all Obama needs to do is play sound bites of Romney flip flopping, ignoring that this very tactic would backfire massively if Romney fired back, or mentioning how bad he is because he has changed his stance on different topics.

Obama lives in a very weak glass house when it comes to some of this stuff and if he's smart, he'll stay far away from throwing those stones.

I am sorry, but you are ill-informed. Obama has flip-flopped as much as a normal politician, but Romney is constantly changing positions, even just hour by hour sometimes.

Obama lives in a very weak glass house when it comes to some of this stuff and if he's smart, he'll stay far away from throwing those stones. Better to stick to stuff like the economy improving and fighting the battle that the GOP will bring stating it improved despite him, not because. Stick to battles that are easier to win, not ones that make you look like a terrible hypocrite.
I give him three weeks.

Please name some of these egregious flip-flops that we are all overlooking.

GhaleonEB

Why not? If someone wanted to take exit polls, I don't see why it should be illegal or frowned upon to report what is found, whether an independent or national source.

It's not illegal, but the media collectively looked at the possible influence it was having on elections after 2004, and decided to be cautious with the timing of the release. It's a pretty responsible approach; surprisingly responsible, IMO. (According to a quick Wikipedia search, many countries do make it illegal to release them early.)

Unrelated, PPP has Bob Casesy cruising to re-election.

Plinko

I remember hearing ABC News radio reports at noon about how Kerry was dominating exit polls. I'm positive it's one of the reasons he lost, because the exit polling was fantastic.

You mock but this fighting 'season' phenomenon is apparently real in Afghanistan. They mostly chill out in the winter and then start the fighting back up in the spring. It is one of those signs that should be telling us "You are wasting your time trying to change Afghanistan . . . they have a 'fighting season'".

markatisu

No dude, just no (smh)

Obama is a politician, he is for something till he is against it but normally there are months/years and other circumstances involved

Romney is for and against everything, it's even been documented how be flips in the same conversation. There was even an exit polling the suggested people have no idea what he is for due mainly to being on both sides at the same time

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So it's better that Romney's people are less enthusiastic now? I love this guy.

You mock but this fighting 'season' phenomenon is apparently real in Afghanistan. They mostly chill out in the winter and then start the fighting back up in the spring. It is one of those signs that should be telling us "You are wasting your time trying to change Afghanistan . . . they have a 'fighting season'".

To be fair that's how it goes for most long wars, historically.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I never told you guys, but I lost my job a couple weeks ago due to "Business Realignment."

Am I still allowed to vote for Obama?

For real? Sorry man, hope your position isn't redundant everywhere.

But, yes, you do not vote for Obama. The other candidates are all promising to punish companies who outsource and eliminate positions. LOL

Is there anything you can't turn into a negative for Obama?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
3. Romney's losing all people of color 83-13! SEVENTY POINTS! You simply can't win a general election with numbers like that while not simultaneously building up a huge advantage among Whites.
oyYBC.gif

Yeah, and for all the complaining we do about the media, I have to thank them for being responsible about this and not releasing exit poll data until after the polls close. That is one of the areas where all news outlets seem to be holding a morally respectable line.

Even I have a hard time believing that. This isn't 2004 where the democrat was a Romney-esque democrat, this is 2012 where the candidate is guaranteed to create similar turnout for minorities unless the GOP manages to get voter suppression ID laws passed in every single swing state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom